Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

darkfall, aion or AOC?

TraplineTrapline Member Posts: 6

I'm trying to decide between these three games, and need help.

What I am looking for:

Fairly interesting journey to level cap

territory pvp

servicable graphics, if the game play is really good I can forgive.

decent opportunities for new players to be able to compete after a few months of grinding gear at cap.

good guild structure and population.

so what do you think?

if anyone has another territory control type mmo besides eve I'd be glad to hear about it.

Comments

• ellobo29ellobo29 Member UncommonPosts: 423

id go with Darkfall, they have a free trial i hear. but 2nd id go with Aion.

i like both games in honesty, but something grabs me about darkfall

• afoaaafoaa Member UncommonPosts: 578

Sounds like you should try out DaoC.

"You are the hero our legends have foretold will save our tribe, therefore please go kill 10 pigs."

• MrPotpotMrPotpot Member Posts: 11

for me i chose Aion the best for me among the 3, but darkfall also have the guts to be played.

• MrPotpotMrPotpot Member Posts: 11

I saw Aion on youtube and its really cool i like the graphics even though i hvaent played it.

• OtoanOtoan Member UncommonPosts: 17

Darkfall.

It's kind of grindy but after a few months of play you will be able to complete in group pvp.

Gameplay is awesome.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857

Originally posted by afoaa

Sounds like you should try out DaoC.

I agree.  Best territorial PVP game ever. Warhammer is similar in some ways, and made by the same company, but does not quite cut the mustard as far as the territorial PVP of Dark Age of Camelot. 

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• worldspin85worldspin85 Member Posts: 187

DArkfall by very FAr try the free trial!

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

just so that you know Darkfall is a full loot mmo with an endless (capless) stat progression. it the lower in graphics out fo the 3. it has a very low population. it is pvp focused, it does have territory control and the fps fighting style is very unique. this is one of the those game you either love or hate. i definately suggest trying the free trial.

unfortunately i wouldn't reccoment AoC as a pvp mmo, it's an awesom pve game but the pvp is very flawed.  Aion is also having pvp issues at the moment. the latest patches have pretty much killed rifting and even end level pvp is often lop sided and unfair. both games also lack an actuall territory control system. Aion has something of the sort but only in the Abyss. AoC only has guild's cities that can be sieged, unfortunately STILL not working as they should.

i'd say Aion has the biggest population of the 3 but it does also have the heaviest grind with DF coming in a close second for grind.

• ZadawnZadawn Member UncommonPosts: 670

I would advice you not to buy Aion unless you like to grind,a lot.If you've played any of the asian grinders on the f2p market, you've also played aion.Download the trial(ask me for a trial key),take a look at it,but im telling  you,it isn't worth the money nor the time you'll be spending on it ( if any).Bought it,played somewhere around a week and now im back on the site looking for something new.

• ZadawnZadawn Member UncommonPosts: 670

Originally posted by Jakdstripper

it the lower in graphics out fo the 3.

I wouldn't say that.I mean, i tried DFO( the trial) and could barely pull any decent fps, while in Aion i can set everything at max and it runs smoothly.

• crysentcrysent Member UncommonPosts: 841

uhh, tough one, all 3 games have a little of what you want, and are missing a little of what you want.

I've played two of the three within the last 3 months - here is my take:

Darkfall - LOTS to do, LOTS to see, population not great, not completely gone, but not great - you will be able to find a guild no problem, you will be able to partake in group pvp easily within a month, however not solo pvp.  Graphics are ok, not wonderful, but not terrible.  Sandbox game - you will have a lot to keep yourself busy with.  Global chat is busy, as is trade channel.

Aion - Playerbase is stable, but not great, server merges have helped.  If you play a lot you will be completely able to partake in pvp solo or with groups within month,   Completely different type of game then darkfall though, game based on levels, graphics are good, lots of dungeons.  However there is a ton of solo, typical level grinding in this game.

AoC - Haven't played in about 6 months, lasted only a few days, population was completely gone last time I logged in. was bored out of my mind.

Of the 3 I reccomend darkfall, I by far had the most fun with it, the major downside is to be REAL competitive in a solo pvp manner you have to grind a TON.  However as I said plenty of guilds looking for players, will be able to pvp with a guild within a month, and it has a free trial.

good luck, hope it helps.

• Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177

Originally posted by Trapline

What I am looking for:

decent opportunities for new players to be able to compete after a few months of grinding gear at cap.

so what do you think?

You are not going to cap a character in Darkfall so if you are going to try that game, get that kind of thinking out of your head. Nobody has a fully developed toon and you can play for years and years with always more to work toward because it is very competitive and full-loot so you need a steady income which in a way means a never-ending grind if all you are doing is playing till the cap. You can become a powerful foe from a few months of play and after just a month should be ready for end-game group PVP but as far as getting everything maxxed, it is just not going to happen ever unless you have no life. The good news is that most people who play are around our age (30) and do not have a lot of time to play so most of the server is easy to catch up to. I stopped grinding (if I ever did . .. I mostly just played and worked on things very occasionally so didn't feel like a grind) almost a year ago because I am pretty much developed enough to compete with anyone 1vs1. There are too many spells to use anyways so it doesn't really matter to get everything maxxed like some people think they need. Just get the essentials and work on the things that fit your play-style the most and you will do fine. Most of the essentials I do not even use and have often taken down toons more developed than mine and do not ever think that I will unlock more than I have now . .. so the grind required to become viable in PVP is completely exaggerated in the forums for the most part.

AION and AOC totally suck compared to Darkfall . ... well maybe not to everyone but I really have a hard time seeing how someone could enjoy those games more if they were familiar with Darkfall's gameplay. It is hard to get used to at first, and most that try it will never know how epic it is, but if you are looking for a long-term game that can keep you busy for years and a game that can provide a bigger adrenaline rush than any other game than this one is for you but it may take you months of playing just to learn the basics.

Darkfall is the best MMO in the current market right now imho. It is so much funner than all of the others but it took me months of playing it and a few breaks to realize this. I have played pretty much everything and nothing else compares as it is far from any type of cloned-game like most other games out there.

I think that I have grinded more in AoC and everyone knows about the grind in AION so don't let the grind in Darkfall scare you away. You have only one main character so if you want something, you work to get it, and than once you have it, it is all fun and games from there. The cool thing is that you make yourself more powerful by doing pretty much anything as everything raises stats as you do things so you it does not feel like a grind that I am forced to do as much as I felt in other grind to the cap and then grind for gear games.

I do whatever the hell I want whenever I play Darkfall and every gaming session is unexpected and different so entertaining enough to have kept me at the edge of my seat for almost 2 years now. I know what to expect when logging into AoC . .. its either run from NPC to NPC doing quests until you get to the cap (forced down a storyline that everyone shares), grinding mobs or harvesting for gear, or meaningless pvp that gives you nothing if you win. AION is more for kids imo so not even going to talk about that one since you are older than me.

No competition. Darkfall is the best bet unless you just want to casually play something for 1 month.

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

• DepartedSoulDepartedSoul Member UncommonPosts: 99

As someone who has taken part in 38 sieges in AoC, i would say the siege mechanics work fine ;) There is a territorial pvp landscape that is fought over also in AoC, where pvp occurs even if you are on a pve server (open pvp zone).

As for being rewarded in pvp in AoC, you gain xp and tokens to get gear, and also level up your guild through pvp, leading to stat boosts and opening quests and vendors.

To top this, AoC also has far better pve than any of these games mentioned, is graphically badass, the music is the best i have come across in an mmo, and the combat is tops.

Give the others a shot , but i've played em all and AoC takes the cake. People harping that the sieges do not work and there is no territory pvp are trolling.  

When a man lies... he murders some part of the World.

• gothagotha Member UncommonPosts: 1,074

Restarted AOC,  have to say i do really enjoy the games setting,  graphics and combat system.

DF i would say wait for darkfall 2010.  The grind currently is just not worth it.

Aion started,  kind of liked,  but then felt bleh about it.

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671

I have played AoC and Aion at different points in time for over 6 months.  I just recently bought and subbed to DF and have been playing about a month.  Based on my experiences I would definitely suggest Darkfall.  AoC and Aion offer you nothing that you haven't experienced already while Darkfall definitely does things differently.  Some people might suggest the only things Darkfall offers you as a new player is a long grind and repeated swift deaths, but this simply isn't the case.  Check out the unrestricted 2 week free trial.  You can use Valroth's videos on youtube to get started: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDgGgunLhmA

Also, be prepared to have to adjust all your key bindings and get used to the controls for the first 30-60 min.  The controls are similar to an MMO/FPS hybrid, kind of like the gameplay itself.

My earlier points don't even begin to touch on the fact that if you enjoy PvP then Aion and AoC just aren't options for you.  Aion's pvp is fatally flawed as I have pointed out in numerous other posts (you lose control of your character every time you use a skill; therefore, aerial melee pvp is impossible along with a whole other list of fatal problems.  You can also get all the top PVP gear without killing a single person).  AoC also has similar problems like combo-skipping, horribly imbalanced classes, broken raid content at release (each time raid content gets released it is FUBAR), sieges don't work for most people (formerly everyone), like Aion you can be top level/gear in PvP and kill no players at all, and personally I found the game to be too easy.  I had 5 characters at max level and done the highest raid content possible in the 6 months I played.  IMO all Aion and AoC have to offer is nice graphics, which is great, but doesn't get me to stick around.

Steam: Neph

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671

Originally posted by Sid_Vicious

Originally posted by Trapline

What I am looking for:

so what do you think?

You are not going to cap a character in Darkfall so if you are going to try that game, get that kind of thinking out of your head. Nobody has a fully developed toon and you can play for years and years with always more to work toward because it is very competitive and full-loot so you need a steady income which in a way means a never-ending grind if all you are doing is playing till the cap. You can become a powerful foe from a few months of play and after just a month should be ready for end-game group PVP but as far as getting everything maxxed, it is just not going to happen ever unless you have no life. The good news is that most people who play are around our age (30) and do not have a lot of time to play so most of the server is easy to catch up to. I stopped grinding (if I ever did . .. I mostly just played and worked on things very occasionally so didn't feel like a grind) almost a year ago because I am pretty much developed enough to compete with anyone 1vs1. There are too many spells to use anyways so it doesn't really matter to get everything maxxed like some people think they need. Just get the essentials and work on the things that fit your play-style the most and you will do fine. Most of the essentials I do not even use and have often taken down toons more developed than mine and do not ever think that I will unlock more than I have now . .. so the grind required to become viable in PVP is completely exaggerated in the forums for the most part.

AION and AOC totally suck compared to Darkfall . ... well maybe not to everyone but I really have a hard time seeing how someone could enjoy those games more if they were familiar with Darkfall's gameplay. It is hard to get used to at first, and most that try it will never know how epic it is, but if you are looking for a long-term game that can keep you busy for years and a game that can provide a bigger adrenaline rush than any other game than this one is for you but it may take you months of playing just to learn the basics.

Darkfall is the best MMO in the current market right now imho. It is so much funner than all of the others but it took me months of playing it and a few breaks to realize this. I have played pretty much everything and nothing else compares as it is far from any type of cloned-game like most other games out there.

I think that I have grinded more in AoC and everyone knows about the grind in AION so don't let the grind in Darkfall scare you away. You have only one main character so if you want something, you work to get it, and than once you have it, it is all fun and games from there. The cool thing is that you make yourself more powerful by doing pretty much anything as everything raises stats as you do things so you it does not feel like a grind that I am forced to do as much as I felt in other grind to the cap and then grind for gear games.

I do whatever the hell I want whenever I play Darkfall and every gaming session is unexpected and different so entertaining enough to have kept me at the edge of my seat for almost 2 years now. I know what to expect when logging into AoC . .. its either run from NPC to NPC doing quests until you get to the cap (forced down a storyline that everyone shares), grinding mobs or harvesting for gear, or meaningless pvp that gives you nothing if you win. AION is more for kids imo so not even going to talk about that one since you are older than me.

No competition. Darkfall is the best bet unless you just want to casually play something for 1 month.

^^Seconded

Steam: Neph