Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How old were you when you played your first MMORPG?

13»

Comments

• scoachscoach Member Posts: 16

I was in 6th grade Asheron's Call.

• theartisttheartist Member Posts: 553

Hmm, late 2000. 18

Seems longer than that.

• OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034

12. EverQuest.

I was in the beta of The 4th Coming prior to the release of EverQuest, at age 11, but I'm honestly not sure whether to classify it as sandbox or themepark, so I went by EverQuest and voted themepark.

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527

Depends upon your definition of an MMORPG...

I mean I played everquest when it first came out in 1999 -- and I was 30 at the time.  BUT I was already a wiz/builder on a MUD from before that.  989 studios Verant.  Back when it was $9.89 per month to play.

If you count MUDs -- I played my first MUD back in 1991 -- Valhalla when I was 22.

If you want to go back to video games in general, I had pong, and a dedicated breakout/basketball unit before I got my atari 2600 when it came out in 1977(was a sears heavy sixer). 

I played the original wizardry, zork, kings quest, phantasie -- when they came out.

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092

It was EQ, and I was 22. Not sure if people count that as themepark or sandbox. Its kinda in the middle, imo.

• Elox1Elox1 Member Posts: 211

I'd say i was about 15 or 16 at the time when Ultima Online released back in '97, which was basically the first game most would consider fits the current definition of an MMO.  It was the first one that reached 100K+ subscription base which significantly outdid any games that came before it.

I didn't play UO for long as it wasn't all that great (IMO) compared to Final Fantasy 7 which I was playing at the time.  

• ShadusShadus Member UncommonPosts: 669

*shakes fist* back in my day...

Legends of Kesmai was my first, but I had done muds/moos/mushes for quite a few years already.

Edit: Was frocking EXPENSIVE to play too... i could have 9-10 mmo subs for the same price today! My first real addiction was EQ1... 700+ days played in 3.5 years. Never before like that, never again... god it was fun though :)

Shadus