Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you play a mmo that had hitboxes? (headshots)

Simple question, would you play a game that allowed people to one shot you?  Why?

Comments

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

There are already games where people one shot (perhaps two shot) other people without hit boxes (headshots)...

...that being said though, the question really is not that simple.  Are we talking manual aim here?  Are we talking about selecting a preferred targeting location for the character's lock?  If the latter, what kind of hit modifiers would we be looking at for different boxes?  Would there be wounding attacks: leg attacks that slow for more than a few seconds, arm/hand attacks that prevent being able to utilize weapons?

Would you be able to render an opponent's arms useless... then take out their legs, dropping them to the ground... before performing a coup de grace?

Or are we talking about a manual aim PC game where it would not take long before folks were running aimbots?

Not really a simple question.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640
    That's the last thing I need. Someone snipering my ass from across a zone in a mmorpg. Unless it's sometype of war type setting no thanks.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• Joker2240Joker2240 Member Posts: 664

Originally posted by VirusDancer

There are already games where people one shot (perhaps two shot) other people without hit boxes (headshots)...

...that being said though, the question really is not that simple.  Are we talking manual aim here?  Are we talking about selecting a preferred targeting location for the character's lock?  If the latter, what kind of hit modifiers would we be looking at for different boxes?  Would there be wounding attacks: leg attacks that slow for more than a few seconds, arm/hand attacks that prevent being able to utilize weapons?

Would you be able to render an opponent's arms useless... then take out their legs, dropping them to the ground... before performing a coup de grace?

Or are we talking about a manual aim PC game where it would not take long before folks were running aimbots?

Well one assumes if there is hitboxes that there would be manual aiming or otherwise that would defeat the purpose of having hitboxes in the first place. Any game that has manual aim or hitboxes are going to have aimbots, no matter how wishful your thinking is. 

I don't know how much easier this question could be....

OH GOD! I hope you are not talking about VAC! OFF PLEASE! What a horrible thing! 

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100

I play MMOs for more cooperative play style. I like PvP but only if I am working with others. I am not so into killing people just for killing ,I do it to secure a place or protect a resource or something and I usually play a supportive role so am found healing or buffing others and not killing people for the fun of it. So no that would not be something I want.

Chamber of Chains

Originally posted by Rockgod99

That's the last thing I need. Someone snipering my ass from across a zone in a mmorpg. Unless it's sometype of war type setting no thanks.

It is funny that you mention that.  I have always been surprised that EVE does not have a feature along the lines of being able to target engines, weapons, etc.  It is a very classic sci-fi element to attempt to disable particular areas on an opponent's ship.

Originally posted by Joker2240

Well one assumes if there is hitboxes that there would be manual aiming or otherwise that would defeat the purpose of having hitboxes in the first place. Any game that has manual aim or hitboxes are going to have aimbots, no matter how wishful your thinking is. 

OH GOD! I hope you are not talking about VAC! OFF PLEASE! What a horrible thing! 

I tend to push for more realism in games - which would include "wounds" - which is something missing from games.  WoW has so many of the "realistic" effects that are missing from games; but they only last a few seconds.  WoW also has some directed attacks (hamstring, disarm, etc) - but again, such a short duration.  Do not see why one could not have hit boxes for a target locked game.  It exists in the PnP world...

...but with it being manual aim, then I would have to say no.  My views on manual aiming tend to tick off both sides of that particular discussion.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

While it is certainly more realistic I'm not a fan of one shotting someone in general terms so obviously I would not be a fan of head shots in the scope of an mmo.

Simply isn't fun.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

Originally posted by Rockgod99

It is funny that you mention that.  I have always been surprised that EVE does not have a feature along the lines of being able to target engines, weapons, etc.  It is a very classic sci-fi element to attempt to disable particular areas on an opponent's ship.

Agreed about being surprised. I think about it as well. I don't know how they could implement it properly, but if they could, I think this would be pretty cool. I've always liked the idea of being able to target a ship's particular component. 

"Knock out their hyperdrive!"

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

If I was allowed to carry a gun and shoot people in the head, then yes. If I had a sharp enough sword and enough strenght to lop someone's head off, then yes. Why?

Because it's realistic and if the game supported that type of mechanic, then it wouldn't be such a huge deal to die in one shot. I get one shot all the time in FPS games and it's no big deal because I can do the same thing to anyone else on the other team. BUT in many MMORPG's it's only a select group who are doing the one-shotting due to gear and stat imbalances. The game does not support such mechanics, so when a one-shot happens, it causes a lot of animosity, in my opinion.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

It would depend on how good the game is.

However, personally, I'd like to find MMOs that move away from combat being the focus. Even Wizard101, which is a family friendly game, revolves around fighting. We have massive virtual worlds to play in, and the best we seem to be able to do is make more creative ways of beating things/people up.

<3

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

I tend to push for more realism in games - which would include "wounds" - which is something missing from games.  WoW has so many of the "realistic" effects that are missing from games; but they only last a few seconds.  WoW also has some directed attacks (hamstring, disarm, etc) - but again, such a short duration.  Do not see why one could not have hit boxes for a target locked game.  It exists in the PnP world...

...but with it being manual aim, then I would have to say no.  My views on manual aiming tend to tick off both sides of that particular discussion.

Sorry but I'm not quite following your line of reasoning.  What you are describing is nothing more than a class skill description, what you are seeing on the screen is nothing more than fluff.  There is nothing realistic about it, just a bunch of RNG number crunching behind all that eye candy you are watching on the screen.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113

Yes, because it actually takes some sort of skill to kill another player that way, especially if theres physics involved. Twitch based combat with hit boxes in a game with no physics is lame though.

Originally posted by stayontarget

Sorry but I'm not quite following your line of reasoning.

Line of reasoning?  Do not follow in the least what you mean by that.  It is a post about additional realism in MMORPGs - a game that offers the tease of such, but does it in such an insulting fashion that it would be better off without it.

What you are describing is nothing more than a class skill description, what you are seeing on the screen is nothing more than fluff.

Not quite sure what you are getting at here.  Even with the dismal examples provided in WoW, it is not simply a class skill description resulting in onscreen fluff.  A hamstring actually slows the target down.  A disarm actually...disarms...the target.  The issue being how quickly a character recovers from a hamstring and that the disarm does not require the character rearm.

There is nothing realistic about it, just a bunch of RNG number crunching behind all that eye candy you are watching on the screen.

This quite literally makes no sense in the least.  The tease of realism that was found lacking was already pointed out.  There is very little RNG involved in selecting an attack outside of whether it hits or misses.  They are not arbitrary effects that proc with the correct planetary alignment.  And er, yes... we are talking about video games here - so eye candy would be involved.

Um... trying to see the point of your post...

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Yes and no (though I voted yes). I would play it, but not regularly. It would be an "I'm bored..." kind of thing when I have nothing else to do. I don't mind the idea of headshots, its one of the things I have the most fun with in games like Fallout, the problem is this would get increasingly annoying when PVP is something you're trying to avoid. If I don't have to worry about questing/gathering and progress in some other fashion in said game then yeah, I'd be all for it.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

You can't have hit boxes without manual aim. Leaving it down to a 'roll' is pointless.

If you want 'realism' without aiming then just add a random skill determined roll which adds a wound effect etc onto it. If you want real hitboxes.... aim.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

Would I? well I already have and I liked it. I've also played APB which didn't have hitboxes for certain body parts it was still pretty fun but not quite as good.

If hit boxes are in what I don't want is to have headshots always the best way for a kill. Shooting at the head should mean you miss more but can do critical damage. Shooting at the center means most consistent hits. And Leg shots can slow him down.

The thing is with headshots is that if you do have many options for higher elevation being on them is always going to be the best position as you are shooting down to your target.

Originally posted by bunnyhopper

You can't have hit boxes without manual aim. Leaving it down to a 'roll' is pointless.

If you want 'realism' without aiming then just add a random skill determined roll which adds a wound effect etc onto it. If you want real hitboxes.... aim.

Really?  There are hit boxes in PnP as a player has a character aim an attack to a specific location.  Seems to me it exists already, but it is something they have not implemented in MMORPGs...

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071

Definately,I more likely wouldnt play a mmo shooter if it didnt have them(1 reason why I didnt care for fallen earth too much).Just need to have some gear modifiers like helm protection % and if I had my druthers no class limitations on being able to carry a sniper rifle and a assault weapon like Combat Arms that way when you get headshotted by a snipe you can return the favor if you can fish him out.

• BarakIIIBarakIII Member Posts: 800

The Mass Effect series was as good of an rpg series as I've ever played. Sure it wasn't pure rpg and had heavy fps elements, but it still had the same effect. The game immersed you into the story, and to me that's the most important element of an rpg.

SW:TOR will have a sniper class, the Imperial Agent. Having a sniper class without the realism that hitboxes provides would make that particular role less immersive. I don't know that SW:TOR has hitboxes, I'm just saying it should. So yes, most definitely I would play an mmorpg with hitboxes.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

Really?  There are hit boxes in PnP as a player has a character aim an attack to a specific location.  Seems to me it exists already, but it is something they have not implemented in MMORPGs...

Yes really.

PnP is not online mmorpg, we can do things now with the electronic medium that we could not do with PnP. How about LARP, they aim, or are they less viable in terms of RP than pnp?

The fact of the matter is hitboxes are tantamount to aiming bonuses, whilst you can have them in a non manual aiming game I stand by my original post in that it is pointless.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

Originally posted by Joker2240

Fallen Earth does have hit boxes with manual aim. If you hit head - it deals double/triple damage. It's quite easy to one shot with a sniper rifle if you aim for head from distance in Fallen Earth.

REALITY CHECK

Yes really.

PnP is not online mmorpg, we can do things now with the electronic medium that we could not do with PnP. How about LARP, they aim, or are they less viable in terms of RP than pnp?

MMORPGs are based a great deal on PnP.  All MMORPGs add is the audio/visual aspects of it...to an extent in the manner by which a movie differs from a book.  One could add they include the "massive" part; but in general with the themepark setting of these games - it is more a detriment than an improvement.

As for LARP combat, lol - many LARP games have no combat, they have very limited touch combat with highly restricted zones, etc, etc, etc.  That is a pretty bad example to bring up...

The fact of the matter is hitboxes are tantamount to aiming bonuses, whilst you can have them in a non manual aiming game I stand by my original post in that it is pointless.

"Aiming bonuses"...?  Do you mean damage bonuses?

If they provide the same advantages, disadvantages, and results as they do in PnP... you would still consider them pointless?  So you consider them to be pointless in PnP?

It is fine to have a preference for the simpler mechanics of FPS game play, but some common sense would prevent statements that make little sense.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Hitboxes works for games like AoC, and not just twitched based games. But  I don't think AoC in itself would be a the right candidate since it's performance already could be better.

Sure, I could play a game like that. I actually think that AoCs collision detection is by far the best in that game and adding hitboxes would take it to the next step.

• MertzaSkertzMertzaSkertz Member UncommonPosts: 161

I think would be cool if a mmorpg played off of the VATS system that fallout 3 did.

• sentry13sentry13 Member Posts: 115

Its nice idea, I just dont think we are at a place yet where anyone can design a working hitbox system that is free of aimbots and can't be exploited in game by other means.