Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game is a hidden gem. (from a vet MMO player)

2»

Comments

• BuniontToesBuniontToes Member Posts: 529

Originally posted by Jakdstripper

wile DF has many  things going for it especially at the beginnig, it's not untill a  month or so of playing that you start seeing the darker side fo the game.

the endless PVE grind for stats.......ehhh, just .....eehhhhhh

the fact that everyone is exaclty the same, and by that i mean the classless cookie cutter spec with everyone using the same spells and weappons and armor.  it's really weird how most of us actually like being different from those arround us. even if not completely unique we still prefer to have some kind of distinction (or difined role) in our immidiate group.  in DF everyone is exactly the same with the only difference being how long each one has been grinding their stats. unfortunately the more everyone is exactly the same the less you feel special, and let's face it, we'd rather feel at least a bit special.

pupulation.....yea it needs more.

Maybe if you understood the game mecahnics you would realzie that this isn;t required.

• marcustmarcust Member UncommonPosts: 495

The only other game at the moment with the potential of DF is MO.

I've played DF since the beginning and still enjoy it.

The trick is to not get into the grind mindset, play it to enjoy the moment and you will.

Playing: Darkfall New Dawn (and planning to play Fallout 76)
    Favourite games have included: UO, Lineage2, Darkfall, Lotro, Baldur's Gate, SSX, FF7 and yes the original Wizardry on an Apple IIe

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

Originally posted by BuniontToes

Maybe if you understood the game mecahnics you would realzie that this isn;t required.

nothing is required.

you are not required to learn any skills, or wear any armor, or farm any gold, or do absolutely anything actually. you could run arround the world naked and terrorized the butterfly population, or squat under a bridge and shout cookie fortune wisdom to passer byes, or play tag with the trees if you really, really wanted to. nothing is absolutely REQUIRED.

but if you want to have a chance to be competitive in pvp, so as not to get your ass kicked every time someone ganks you, you ARE required to grind, and the grind is substantial.

• AzdulAzdul Member UncommonPosts: 440

Edited: some off-topic ramblings about LOTRO and Turbine.

• BuniontToesBuniontToes Member Posts: 529

nothing is required.

you are not required to learn any skills, or wear any armor, or farm any gold, or do absolutely anything actually. you could run arround the world naked and terrorized the butterfly population, or squat under a bridge and shout cookie fortune wisdom to passer byes, or play tag with the trees if you really, really wanted to. nothing is absolutely REQUIRED.

but if you want to have a chance to be competitive in pvp, so as not to get your ass kicked every time someone ganks you, you ARE required to grind, and the grind is substantial.

Thee iwll always be peopel who beat you 1v1.  This is not a DFO phenomena.  This is true in WoW (wityh top end gear sets), this is true in Vanguard, Asheron's call, or any other game.

However, in DFO you can actually work as a team and CONTRIBUTE to take down the toughest of vets from day 1.  If you focus on raising skills (not stats) you can become competitive as part of a team.  To level your skills you must PvE......just like EVERY OTHER game.  It does not take 6 months, it can be done in 1-2 months if you aren;t a scatterbrained twit.

Will you have every skill in the game? no.  But contrary to the forums most people you meet do NOT have every skill in the game.  I asure you that outisde of water magic I have nearly every spell school maxed (been playing since launch), 100/100 melee, 100/100 arcehry/sharpshooter.  This does not make you a better player. In fact very few people use all of thier skills.  Most of the people who are the most feared do not have anywhere  near all "maxed" abilities.  people who work as a team are always valued far more than thre stat monkey who gets himself killed in every fight.

• ChinaCatChinaCat Member UncommonPosts: 670

The point of the OP suggesting DFO is a "hidden gem" is due to the board warrioring skills of many who claim to "know Darkfall" and suggest it sucks for X reason or is an "industry joke" which is as arrogant as it is wrong.    Because of all the negative posts by those actually believing they know some emperical truth, the OP was convinced DFO was a terrible game and stayed away from it.   Now, having just tried it, is shocked by how cool it feels and hence the sense from him it is a "hidden gem".  The ironic part of this thread is it's doing precisely what the OP was talking about in the first place and to those who have not tried DFO, they would be well advised to read the OP and forget the rest.   A free trial is a beautiful thing.

Have a nice evening. -CC

"Lately it occurs to me,
    what a long, strange trip it's been". -Hunter

• mrcalhoumrcalhou Member UncommonPosts: 1,444

Originally posted by ChinaCat

The point of the OP suggesting DFO is a "hidden gem" is due to the board warrioring skills of many who claim to "know Darkfall" and suggest it sucks for X reason or is an "industry joke" which is as arrogant as it is wrong.    Because of all the negative posts by those actually believing they know some emperical truth, the OP was convinced DFO was a terrible game and stayed away from it.   Now, having just tried it, is shocked by how cool it feels and hence the sense from him it is a "hidden gem".  The ironic part of this thread is it's doing precisely what the OP was talking about in the first place and to those who have not tried DFO, they would be well advised to read the OP and forget the rest.   A free trial is a beautiful thing.

Have a nice evening. -CC

I agree with this in its entirety. There are many things that irk me about Darkfall (Lack of momentum when turning for both pcs and npcs, and the lack of variety within equipment types) the game itself isn't that bad, and since they have a free trial that doesn't even require a credit card to register, it's worth a least a test run.

--------
    "Chemistry: 'We do stuff in lab that would be a felony in your garage.'"

The most awesomest after school special T-shirt:
    Front: UNO Chemistry Club
    Back: /\OH --> Bad Decisions

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

I enjoyed the hell out of darkfall. The grind isn't bad if you just do it in small doses at a time, or if you can handle grinding knowing you won't 1v1 ever with a vet, but group pvp is fun as hell and you would be useful in that.

• Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177

I have seen several times how you are wrong.

There are quite a few who have ganked more people than most everyone else without grinding at all. There are several options for a new player to gank lots more than the average player. He could raid NEW over and over again or pick them off one at a time around their outskirts or do this around noob spawns. He could sneak up and get the jump on someone and kill them while they are panicking. He could declare war against clans that are newer than him and unexpectedly give them hell in various NPC cities and probably make a great living doing so. There are many possibilities and opportunities to gank people when you are looking for them and despite your skills/stats there are victims everywhere. Of course, if someone does live this way, than they will have a harder time trading because the community will get to know him right away and avoid him.

I used to raid some cities over and over again when I started playing and had not a single skill above like 20 lol and I killed people wayyyy ahead of me quite often because they would not see my level and assume that I was badass and panic. Of course this wouldn't work anymore since you can get 50 mastery within your first 24 hours of playing if you are determined enough . .. but scare tactics still work great! There are so many different tactics that can be used in this game. Unexpected ambush when they are vulnerable will lessen the gap the most.

Not only do you have to grind a lot if you want to be in the top clan or if you want to solo PVP and kill most that you come across but you also have to practice the combat and tactics for months. This is not required to enjoy the game or to gank people and most people will never reach top dog status no matter how long that they play it for and they still have a lot of fun.

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

• Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177

Originally posted by Clywd

Originally posted by cheyane

I would like to try this game except for the looting policy which is the only reason I would not. 

Same for me. If they would open a server without gankers... erm, I  mean without ffa pvp I would start to play this immediatedly.

This is what my GF told me at first. For some reason she decided to give it a chance. After 1 month it became her favorite game (she hates PVP for the most part and is not competitive at all) and she ended her sub to WoW and started playing this game more than I do. While I am at work she will send me excited texts of funny stories that happened to her randomly.

Its not like other games where you are forced down a storyline. In Darkfall, you create your own story and nobody else will have the same exact experiences that you will have.

You can learn how to avoid PVP and pretty much never come across it. Even someone who hates PVP is beneficial to group with. You could at least be the master looter and get away with the treasure while the PVPers stay back and fight until you escape with all the loot. There are many many ways that someone who doesn't PVP can help. You could stand back and use weapons of mass destruction or destroy player-made things while your buddies are engaged in combat. Many things to do besides PVP and the PVP is not very often. This is far from a PVP-only game. I have talked to new players that say they were not attacked more than a couple times during their first month but it all depends on what is going on in the world and where you are.

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

• CandyCaneNJCandyCaneNJ Member UncommonPosts: 187

Originally posted by Sid_Vicious

Originally posted by Clywd

Originally posted by cheyane

I would like to try this game except for the looting policy which is the only reason I would not. 

Same for me. If they would open a server without gankers... erm, I  mean without ffa pvp I would start to play this immediatedly.

This is what my GF told me at first. For some reason she decided to give it a chance. After 1 month it became her favorite game (she hates PVP for the most part and is not competitive at all) and she ended her sub to WoW and started playing this game more than I do. While I am at work she will send me excited texts of funny stories that happened to her randomly.

Its not like other games where you are forced down a storyline. In Darkfall, you create your own story and nobody else will have the same exact experiences that you will have.

You can learn how to avoid PVP and pretty much never come across it. Even someone who hates PVP is beneficial to group with. You could at least be the master looter and get away with the treasure while the PVPers stay back and fight until you escape with all the loot. There are many many ways that someone who doesn't PVP can help. You could stand back and use weapons of mass destruction or destroy player-made things while your buddies are engaged in combat. Many things to do besides PVP and the PVP is not very often. This is far from a PVP-only game. I have talked to new players that say they were not attacked more than a couple times during their first month but it all depends on what is going on in the world and where you are.

I despise PVP, just don't get it but that's just me. I am a PVE lady big time because it's what I am used to and what I desire to do in a MMO. Fighting people and taking their loot doesn't do it for me at all. That's why I wasn't interested in Darkfall and also because my old laptop was a heap of junk. Now that I got a New rocking powerful laptop, I want to give Darkfall a try at least and this post has swayed me into downloading the trial.

Thank you for such a well written post for us NON PVP'ERS!

• ViscVisc Member Posts: 89

The thing that gets me is the complaining about "The Grind" WTF are you doing in all the other games to "Level Up?", your GRINDING YOUR ASS OFF. There is no other way to look at it. Sure you get a different quest but your GRINDING. It's different graphics but your grinding to your max lvl then endgame boss fights the start another character to do the grind all over.

Get over the grind, that's what MMO's are is one big grind.