Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So how much of a grind am I looking at until I'm worth anything?

ExavusExavus Member Posts: 200

I was considering starting the trial but I want to know how much time I actually have to pour into my character hiding and afraid of others until I can start to hold my own. if I play 3-4 hours every day am I looking at a few weeks or a few months?

Current MMO: WoW/GW2

Comments

• NizurNizur Member CommonPosts: 1,417

Define "worth anything". Someone else started a thread like this several weeks back with nearly the identical question. If you mean 1v1 against a vet, then it'll take a few months.

Current: None
    Played: WoW, CoX, SWG, LotRO, EVE, AoC, VG, CO, Ryzom, DF, WAR
    Tried: Lineage2, Dofus, EQ2, CoS, FE, UO, Wurm, Wakfu
    Future: The Repopulation, ArcheAge, Black Desert, EQN

• As Nizur said, you won't be able to 1v1 someone who has been playing for months, but in week or so you could be in group pvping and having a blast.

• NizurNizur Member CommonPosts: 1,417

This might change though now that offline skilling is being added relatively soon. No idea exactly how it will look or how much it'll affect the initial grind, but it should at least help newer players get 1v1 viable quicker.

Current: None
    Played: WoW, CoX, SWG, LotRO, EVE, AoC, VG, CO, Ryzom, DF, WAR
    Tried: Lineage2, Dofus, EQ2, CoS, FE, UO, Wurm, Wakfu
    Future: The Repopulation, ArcheAge, Black Desert, EQN

• AzdulAzdul Member UncommonPosts: 440

Originally posted by Exavus

I was considering starting the trial but I want to know how much time I actually have to pour into my character hiding and afraid of others until I can start to hold my own. if I play 3-4 hours every day am I looking at a few weeks or a few months?

I wonder how offline skilling is going to change balance.

Nevertheless, even now, not a single skill is a problem in itself. Few days - and you have 1 weapon skilled up to 80% of it's potential. But it's the sheer amount of skills that makes a difference between newbie and vet.

So even if you have very powerful 2 hander, vet can blind you for 3 seconds, and land 2 hits more. Once you have 2hander and blinds, vet will run away, catch some distance, and heal himself using Witches Brew. Once you have 2hander, blinds and Witches Brew, vet may have more hitpoints - and so on.

Not a single skill wins a fight - but having 20+ of them, and 3 months of practice in using them helps ...

It's all completely different in group fights. In 3vs1 you can take down any vet, assuming that you won't do anything stupid, like spamming the attacks and hitting your mates instead of opponent.

• ExavusExavus Member Posts: 200

Originally posted by Azdul

Nevertheless, even now, not a single skill is a problem in itself. Few days - and you have 1 weapon skilled up to 80% of it's potential. But it's the sheer amount of skills that makes a difference between newbie and vet.

So even if you have very powerful 2 hander, vet can blind you for 3 seconds, and land 2 hits more. Once you have 2hander and blinds, vet will run away, catch some distance, and heal himself using Witches Brew. Once you have 2hander, blinds and Witches Brew, vet may have more hitpoints - and so on.

Not a single skill wins a fight - but having 20+ of them, and 3 months of practice in using them helps ...

It's all completely different in group fights. In 3vs1 you can take down any vet, assuming that you won't do anything stupid, like spamming the attacks and hitting your mates instead of opponent.

I see. This does sound like fun, one thing I'm looking for is group play where I can find some people to actually call my companions. In the MMO's I play here and there now there are no companions it seems like it's just get the best gear and don't care about anyone else.

Current MMO: WoW/GW2

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

Originally posted by Azdul

I see. This does sound like fun, one thing I'm looking for is group play where I can find some people to actually call my companions. In the MMO's I play here and there now there are no companions it seems like it's just get the best gear and don't care about anyone else.

Darkfall is all about making friends and playing with them.  

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059

Group play is defianatly more fun in this game :P.  Helps keep off the guys looking for an easy kill while you do pve too.