Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bunny Hopping: Does it make MMO's look silly?

Comments

• lakokalakoka Member UncommonPosts: 97

Quest based leveling turn-based MMO's are so boring that I actually need to do something with my hands to not fall asleep. Or just trying to play Mario Bros over the grass and rocks, funnier than killing monsters and pressing 1 and 2. I'M OUT.

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

Originally posted by VirusDancer

Originally posted by BarCrow

I'd rather have bunny hopping than no hopping. Easy fix is to assign fatigue effects. Constant hopping would burn you out quickly with a longer recover time ..thus making you an easier.(exhausted and slow moving) .or at least ..a typical target. While controlled leaps and dodge jumps would cause fatigue at different rates...but could be easily managed like all other status bars.As long as the action does not endlessly burn energy and cause fatigue ...then you can fight on. The fatigue/energy balance could be used with other actions beside jumping...of course..running/sprinting being the next obvious. Wielding heavy armor / weapons would modify fatigue effects as well as strength and constitution. etc...etc.

This falls in with what I believe would work. Tactical jumping with fatigue makes sense.

Yeah. Quite a few games already use this idea...but usually only for sprints and running/walking, Seems like it would be easy to incorporate a whole system of energy/fatigue based actions. Then again..I'm no programmer.lol.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Originally posted by colddog04

To you it's silly looking. To me it's a game. 

To me, using an argument that says, "if the IP doesn't have bunny hopping then don't allow it," is silly. I'm sure you can see why. There are tons of things in games that don't follow IP. Removing those things would make for a game that wasn't fun. Bunny hopping is only different in that it is silly looking to you personally.

It is silly in general.  Not just silly looking.  How silly looking simply stands out...because that is what you see when somebody is doing it.

A dive and roll... is not bunny hopping.  Jumping back out of range of a melee attack... is not bunny hopping.  Jumping behind cover... is not bunny hopping.  Jumping into melee range... is not bunny hopping.

Jumping around like you need to go wee wee or like you have fire ants in your socks... bunny hopping... is just silly.

To you. To me, it's not. I don't look at it and say, "Oh, look at that ridiculous person jumping around like a fool." I say, "I wonder how much I could get for this rare item on the market."

Because I DON"T CARE. You obviously care. You think it's not only silly looking, but also silly in a more general sense. You would rather restrict the freedom of every other player and implement some kind of a fatigue system. Your version of better gameplay and a better MMORPG restricts the player further in an attempt to make the game less silly.

Well, I for one prefer the freedom to do whatever I want. If I want to fing bunny hop, I'm going to fing bunny hop. :P

I also think that using the argument that if the IP doesn't have something, don't put it in is ridiculous. It should be obvious why I think that is ridiculous, but you don't seem to want to concede that for some reason. To the point that you continually ask me to try again.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

No. Only what people SAY makes them look silly.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Originally posted by Ozreth

OP, people like you make MMORPG's look silly : p

Actually anyone who bunny hops looks silly, especially since it gives you no advantage at all with the auto targeting systems in most MMO's.  I generally let people know how silly they look. 

If you are interested in TERA it might be a suitable strategy as they have no auto targeting.

Originally posted by Ozmodan

Originally posted by Ozreth

OP, people like you make MMORPG's look silly : p

Actually anyone who bunny hops looks silly, especially since it gives you no advantage at all with the auto targeting systems in most MMO's.  I generally let people know how silly they look. 

If you are interested in TERA it might be a suitable strategy as they have no auto targeting.

Wow, you're one of those guys? 

What is your motive to tell them how silly they look? Is it because you want to feel better about yourself? Does it make you feel more mature knowing that someone else is bunny hopping and you are better than that? Do you think you can get them to stop because YOU think it's silly? 

Why would you tell them?

• ZarkanarZarkanar Member Posts: 55

I think how players RUN ALL THE TIME is completely silly and unrealistic in MMOs. That's totally a topic I should create, see if anyone agrees with me so I can feel affiliated with my fellow time-wasters! It's just ridiculous how characters run everywhere! I dont run everywhere! Heck, most of us can't run! How unrealistic, how silly!

TOGETHER WE CAN LET THESE COMPANIES KNOW JUST HOW MUCH WE HATE ALWAYS JUMPING AND RUNNING!

------------------------
    Everyone on this site:
    1: MMORPGs are DOOMED, and I have the answers to save them!
    2: THIS game's gonna kill WoW!
    3: I wish things would go back to the Golden Age of MMORPGs, which only existed in my mind...

Originally posted by Zarkanar

I think how players RUN ALL THE TIME is completely silly and unrealistic in MMOs. That's totally a topic I should create, see if anyone agrees with me so I can feel affiliated with my fellow time-wasters! It's just ridiculous how characters run everywhere! I dont run everywhere! Heck, most of us can't run! How unrealistic, how silly!

TOGETHER WE CAN LET THESE COMPANIES KNOW JUST HOW MUCH WE HATE ALWAYS JUMPING AND RUNNING!

Seriously!

Why are my characters running everywhere? I know, lets add fatigue so that everyone moves slower. That would be more realistic and keep people from running. Please tell me, where are developers that make games like this? Running is a terrible, terrible system that should be seriously reworked.

When I see characters running from the bank to the market window, I'm like, "What a fool! No one runs there in real life. They would walk like normal people! Look at how silly they look!"

I wish people would just learn to RP walk everywhere instead of running. It looks ridiculous.

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

Seriously!

Why are my characters running everywhere? I know, lets add fatigue so that everyone moves slower. That would be more realistic and keep people from running. Please tell me, where are developers that make games like this? Running is a terrible, terrible system that should be seriously reworked.

When I see characters running from the bank to the market window, I'm like, "What a fool! No one runs there in real life. They would walk like normal people! Look at how silly they look!"

I wish people would just learn to RP walk everywhere instead of running. It looks ridiculous.

One cannot compare running somewhere to hopping... well, not well.  You could compare anything you like if you wanted to do so.  One could compare falling out of a tree to eating a Kit Kat if they wanted to... but then again, that would be as silly as bunny hopping is...

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• TyphadoTyphado Member Posts: 177

Seriously!

There are games like this, and mods to make other games play like this. And I love them.

Also please stop paying out people who care about realism to try and protect a mechanic you enjoy. That's directed at general people in this thread not at the guy I quoted.

Bunny hopping is a fun but highly unrealistic mechanic. Non stop running is a incredibly useful (boredom preventing) but somewhat unrealistic mechanic. As you increase realism in a game bunny hopping will most likely be taken out before non-stop running purely cause they of where they sit in importance to gameplay vs realism.

A game that isn't focusing on realism shouldn't have to take bunny hopping out, unless it is for game balance reasons. For example wow has always been a bit cartoony so it fits in there fine.

Into the breach meatbags

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

Seriously!

God, I hope both of you are being sarcastic. Usually I can tell fairly easily (since I enjoy using sarcasm meself), but some whackos out there really want you to take three days to walk from one end of the zone to the other when you could run that distance in a couple of hours or use a mount to complete the journey in 45 minutes.

I'm all for realism, but a line must be drawn. I'd like realistic combat and crafting, including animations, before anything else.

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

I don't think bunny hopping makes MMOs look silly. I think it may make some of those specific games look silly though. I think of bunny hopping as a valid tactic and a skill. You can both distract your opponent and make it difficult for them to attack you, at the same time. What's not to like about that in PvP?

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• NormikeNormike Member Posts: 436

People bunny hop because of the way its coded in the game, and because it's such a huge body expression for so little cost (a tap of the thumb).

If we could shoot rockets from our characters helm everytime we smiled that would be over-used to.

One way to fix it is to do what some games do and model bunny hopping on real life. In real life if you bunny hop it slows down your speed, because you're trying to keep your balance. If you bunny hop at full running speed you tend to fall over. Bunny hopping = slowing your running speed is a good solution.

Or make jumping use stamina like a sprint ability.

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092

Originally posted by Normike

People bunny hop because of the way its coded in the game, and because it's such a huge body expression for so little cost (a tap of the thumb).

If we could shoot rockets from our characters helm everytime we smiled that would be over-used to.

One way to fix it is to do what some games do and model bunny hopping on real life. In real life if you bunny hop it slows down your speed, because you're trying to keep your balance. If you bunny hop at full running speed you tend to fall over. Bunny hopping = slowing your running speed is a good solution.

Ok, since we're going to do that how about limit how many times a character can swing a gigantic sword. Surely, its not realistic to swing a sword for 8 straight hours with the same force as the first 2 minutes.

How can people pick out one inconsistency, and not all the others? What makes bunny hopping so special? Because it annoys uptight people that play video games with 10 year olds(face it we do)? Boo-hoo cry me a river. Please, get over yourselves.

• game1124game1124 Member Posts: 4

Honestly ive always thought bunnyhopping in any game is pretty stupid, especially MMOs. Jump animations in games have always been a pet peeve of mine, they all look rediculous :P

• AlysenMinaseAlysenMinase Member Posts: 361

54% of people said yes, and in good reason IMO. Bunny hopping ruins the feeling of the game for me for some reason. I have no idea why, but bunny hopping and bad voice acting is one of the two biggest turn offs for me. Call me too serious, tell me I need to chill, but it's the truth >.>

Playing - EVE, Wurm

Retired - Final Fantasy XI, Anarchy Online, Mabinogi

Waiting - ArcheAge, Salem

• FastTxFastTx Member UncommonPosts: 756

Seriously!

Runescape is pretty much the only game I know that actually has a stamina bar for running. It's not a bad concept really but I think people got used to running too much in MMO's. If you were to take out running all the time you better give them the option of a mount at level 1 and the ability of autopathing while afk to reach a destination.

Originally posted by brostyn

Originally posted by Normike

Ok, since we're going to do that how about limit how many times a character can swing a gigantic sword. Surely, its not realistic to swing a sword for 8 straight hours with the same force as the first 2 minutes.

How can people pick out one inconsistency, and not all the others? What makes bunny hopping so special? Because it annoys uptight people that play video games with 10 year olds(face it we do)? Boo-hoo cry me a river. Please, get over yourselves.

Because in our books... in our movies...

...the heroes fight longer than the average person ever could dream of fighting.  They fight longer than even our atheletes could.  They run longer, fight longer, and do everything with a heroic endurance.

They do not bounce around like idiots.

That is why it is very easy to pick out bunny hopping and not something else.  Because it is apples and oranges.  You cannot compare bunny hopping which started out as a bug with other mechanics that reflect the extent of our heroic tales.

It is a feeble argument to try to do so...

...the heroes fight longer than the average person ever could dream of fighting.  They fight longer than even our atheletes could.  They run longer, fight longer, and do everything with a heroic endurance.

That is why it is very easy to pick out bunny hopping and not something else.  Because it is apples and oranges.  You cannot compare bunny hopping which started out as a bug with other mechanics that reflect the extent of our heroic tales.

Your argument sounds pretty feeble at this point to me.

Heroes do not constantly run everywhere they go in any books that I read or movies that I watch. Yet, in fantasy MMORPGs it's almost always true. You can call it apples and oranges, but if you did, you would be saying something that is false - just like the logic behind your argument.

Heroes do not constantly run everywhere they go in any books that I read or movies that I watch. Yet, in fantasy MMORPGs it's almost always true. You can call it apples and oranges, but if you did, you would be saying something that is false - just like the logic behind your argument.

Which of the two comes to mind from books or movies?

• Chase Scene

• Hopping Scene

Not quite sure why you wish to continue to argue the point... but that is your right.

There is no getting around the apples and oranges aspect of it... try as you might.

• rmasonrmason Member Posts: 140

bunnies are gay ,  so is bunny hopping and elton john.

I usually wont play a game who's mechanics support this type of game play.

• Chase Scene

• Hopping Scene

Not quite sure why you wish to continue to argue the point... but that is your right.

There is no getting around the apples and oranges aspect of it... try as you might.

In Star Wars:

Chase scenes (specifically running scenes) happen irregularly.

Crazy jumping Jedi happen irregularly.

Yet, it's MORE acceptable to constantly run all the time? At least with bunny hopping I only see it sometimes. You know, like in the movies. Running all the time happens all the time in game whether I like it or not.

• Chase Scene

• Hopping Scene

In Star Wars:

Chase scenes happen irregularly.

Crazy jumping Jedi happen irregularly.

Yet, it's MORE acceptable to constantly run all the time? At least with bunny hopping I only see it sometimes. You know, like in the movies. Running all the time happens all the time in game whether I like it or not.

There is no getting around that this isn't apples and oranges... try as you might.

Chase scenes happen irregulary in Star Wars?  Who are you trying to kid here?  Almost the entire series is one long chase scene...

...as for crazy jumping Jedi - Yoda vs. Dooku.  Does not happen elsewhere.  That is less than irregularly - that is a quirk.  Something meant to play to the audience.  Does Yoda do that vs. Palpatine?  Hrmm, nope.  Go figure, eh?

Running in the game happens all the time in MMORPGs?  Really?  You see constant running constantly?  Where?  What game is this?  It sounds pretty crappy... unless it is a Nike or Reebok MMORPG sort of thing, I guess.

And yep, you continue to argue as is your right and you continue to fail to argue against it being apples and oranges try as you might...

Chase scenes happen irregulary in Star Wars?  Who are you trying to kid here?  Almost the entire series is one long chase scene...

...as for crazy jumping Jedi - Yoda vs. Dooku.  Does not happen elsewhere.  That is less than irregularly - that is a quirk.  Something meant to play to the audience.  Does Yoda do that vs. Palpatine?  Hrmm, nope.  Go figure, eh?

Running in the game happens all the time in MMORPGs?  Really?  You see constant running constantly?  Where?  What game is this?  It sounds pretty crappy... unless it is a Nike or Reebok MMORPG sort of thing, I guess.

And yep, you continue to argue as is your right and you continue to fail to argue against it being apples and oranges try as you might...

Eh, whatever. If you can't see that almost every avatar from every single MMORPG automatically runs as the default, then you can't possibly understand the concept I am trying to explain to you. You just wont be able to comprehend the argument.

Eh, whatever. If you can't see that almost every avatar from every single MMORPG automatically runs as the default, then you can't possibly understand the concept I am trying to explain to you. You just wont be able to comprehend the argument.

Nobody is arguing against running being the default mode of bipedal movement for player avatars...

...but that has nothing to do with bunny hopping.  It is apples and oranges.

A person may walk from their home to their car, drive the car to the store, walk from the car into the store, walk in the store to pick up the item they want, walk to the register, walk back to their car, drive back home, walk back from the car inside...

...and they call it what?  Running to the store.

You really want to argue that what basically comes down to as jogging - not actually running - is the same as bunny hopping?  Because that is what you are trying to argue... which simply is not the case.

The issue with "endless" running and fighting comes down to endurance, encumbrance, fatigue, etc.  You could address those issues and guess what - bunny hopping would still be off to the side...

• apples

• oranges

Again, it has been said in this thread - there is nothing wrong with tactical jumping.  Bunny hopping is not tactical jumping.  Perhaps you are thinking of one thing while arguing another, eh?