Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

We are getting WoWablo 3 instead of Diablo 3

Comments

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

Originally posted by colddog04

A lot of the systems in WoW were based on Diablo. Like the gear grind for instance.

And slotted items. And set items. And skill trees.

<3

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240

Originally posted by SaintViktor

Originally posted by fyerwall

Originally posted by MisterSr

Just cause it's Blizzard doesn't mean it's WoW, I am sorry but you are wrong. Of course the artstyle is similar, it's the same company, they implement that style in most of their games. It's still Diablo 3 still, it's not WOWablo, nor is it Warablo, or any other ill-concocted name. I'm sorry but this is just silly raging in my opinion. 

Who said anything just because it is Blizzard ? Do you actually think if Blizzard North was still in existance they would make the Demon Hunter look like a blood elf ?

There is nothing to say they wouldn't either.

Yeah after seeiing what D1 and D2 looked like Blizzard North would most definitely go the WoW look alike route. Yeah, that is deiniftely what they would do.  :/

Again, you wouldn't know for sure what they would/wouldn't do. Diablo 2 came out how many years before WoW? A few Blizzard North devs went to Blizzard, whats to say they didn't have a hand in designing the look of the demon hunter?

When Blizzard North was still around, they did tend to share developers/artists with Blizzard (seeing as they were Blizzard).

Point is you can't say with absolute certainty that even if Blizzard North was still around the game would look any different than it does now. To say it would is just guessing.

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• GothikaboyGothikaboy Member UncommonPosts: 119

Originally posted by Rynne

You forgot the most obvious relevance OP...PvP arenaimage

So you are mad because of additional features?

I will not PvP much, but it's a fun thing to fall back on after 10 hours of dungeon grinding.

Please do not hype any gam.. oh wait, nevermind... forgot what forum I was on.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Originally posted by dreamscaper

A lot of the systems in WoW were based on Diablo. Like the gear grind for instance.

And slotted items. And set items. And skill trees.

Totally. I'm not sure when someone could get the idea that these two games weren't at least a little bit related. The OP is calling it WoWablo based on one hooded figure in a video.

Diablo 2 classes - Amazon, Necromancer, Barbarian, Sorceress, Paladin, Druid, Assassin.

OMG!!! Get your WoW out of my Diablo!!!!!!!!

• HepisodicHepisodic Member Posts: 328

D3 is D3 the fact that it has some things that look like WoW just go to show how massive WoW is/how much you have played to notice that everything looks like WoW.

On a sidenote, Yes, the 5th class reveal DOES look like Sylvanas Windrunner. But then again you can argue that Sylvanas Windrunner looks like the Demon Hunter. >.> <.< 

Veritas Vos Liberabit- The truth will set you free.

A hooded female looks like Sylvanas Windrunner.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100

All this needs is a dual wielding shotgun tooting Varimathras for all hell to break lose.

Chamber of Chains
  • twruletwrule Member Posts: 1,251

Badass, they're adding battlegrounds and arenas?

That's gonna be fun.

Only arenas have been announced, I believe.

Of course Blizzard carried over a lot of ideas from WoW (sometimes even to a nauseatingly obvious degree), but to be fair - that's what Blizzard is now.  Back in the era of the original Starcraft, Diablo, D2, etc, they used that grittier, more realistic art style and the games were a little more focused on story and the actual gameplay experience.  Nowadays, they've shifted the whole company's focus somewhat - everything has to be "epic"/sensationalized.  They go out of their way to make it so, even if it ends up detracting a bit from lore.  Now their strategy is to whip you into a frenzy with advertising and the cinematics they do so well so that you are so excited, their games seem like the second coming even when they are just "pretty good."  Actually, it's not that different from their old strategy, just with a different art-style, and more fan support.

I wouldn't necessarily blame them though; they are just providing what people demand.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Other than the ears almost an identicle match. WoW may have used ideas from Diablo but Diablo and Diablo 2 never looked like some anime saturday morning cartoon.

link: http://www.sodahead.com/entertainment/which-wow-city-leader-do-you-like-the-best-out-of-all-of-them/question-225140/?link=ibaf&imgurl=http://www.cataclysmfrontlines.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Sylvanas_Windrunner.jpg&q=sylvanas%2Bwindrunner

• PhilbyPhilby Member Posts: 849

Originally posted by Rynne

You forgot the most obvious relevance OP...PvP arenaimage

Yeah battlegrounds in our Diablo, that is so Diabloish.

And you will piss and moan about all things Blizzard and buy it at launch.

WOW isnt great because it has 12 million players. WOW has 12 million players because its great.

Other than the ears almost an identicle match. WoW may have used ideas from Diablo but Diablo and Diablo 2 never looked like some anime saturday morning cartoon.

link: http://www.sodahead.com/entertainment/which-wow-city-leader-do-you-like-the-best-out-of-all-of-them/question-225140/?link=ibaf&imgurl=http://www.cataclysmfrontlines.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Sylvanas_Windrunner.jpg&q=sylvanas%2Bwindrunner

Diablo 2 does look like a Saturday morning cartoon.

I pressed right once on the picture viewer you linked expecting more pictures demonstrating your point. I didn't get what I expected.

http://www.sodahead.com/entertainment/which-celebrity-dude-has-the-scariest-swimsuit/question-1281103/

• steelrain666steelrain666 Member UncommonPosts: 140

I think Diablo 3 looks sweet

• doragon86doragon86 Member UncommonPosts: 589

Then simply don't play it. In fact, I'm willing to bet that even if nothing changes, you'll play it nonetheless.

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
    And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:
    And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
    And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"
    ~Lord George Gordon Byron

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

Oh look saintvikor is less than enthuisatic comment about a Blizzard product.. such a surprise.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Originally posted by expresso

Oh look saintvikor is less than enthuisatic comment about a Blizzard product.. such a surprise.

Don't down play it as some hate for Blizzard because it is far from it. Some Blizzard fanboys can't accept the fact that not everyone is like them or thinks like them. I know , it is tough to swallow to think that there are other millions of people out there that do not think like a Blizzard fanboy.

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

If it's fun I'll still play it. However, I do wish they still had the more dark direction that the original one had. From what I've seen it seems less dark fantasy. If that is what SaintViktor means by being wowified than I agree with him in that respect.

Originally posted by arenasb

If it's fun I'll still play it. However, I do wish they still had the more dark direction that the original one had. From what I've seen it seems less dark fantasy. If that is what SaintViktor means by being wowified than I agree with him in that respect.

I think the rose-tinted glasses on Diablo 2 are on the strong setting for some.

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

Is this just some indirect way to express your extreme dislike for WoW?

Absolutely not.

..it wasn't indirect at all.

• KyelthisKyelthis Member UncommonPosts: 287

Originally posted by Unreal024

Again, you wouldn't know for sure what they would/wouldn't do. Diablo 2 came out how many years before WoW? A few Blizzard North devs went to Blizzard, whats to say they didn't have a hand in designing the look of the demon hunter?

When Blizzard North was still around, they did tend to share developers/artists with Blizzard (seeing as they were Blizzard).

Point is you can't say with absolute certainty that even if Blizzard North was still around the game would look any different than it does now. To say it would is just guessing.

Well, if you go by what a large part of the ex-Blizzard North devs went off and created, you probably could say that. Hellgate: London is, I assume, fairly close to the second version of Diablo III that Blizzard rejected just before Blizzard North devs said screw it and left the company. Hellgate: London's art directiong was a lot darker and more in tune with the original Diablo games.

So while a person can't say with absolute certainty, someone could make a pretty good guess that Blizzard North's Diablo III would have been much darker and gone for a less cartoon styled art look.

^^ That.

Diablo 3 does have, in my opinion, quite a few similarities to WoW, most of which are the way the art and animations are handled. D3 doesn't really look like what I would expect from the franchise, but like others have said, that's because it's a different team doing it this time which is unfortunate. It looks too "cartoony" with far too many brights instead of darks.

That said, I'll still buy it but I'm not nearly as thrilled or hyped about it than I used to be, that's for sure. An artist a while back did some work on the screenshots that Blizzard released and made it look much closer to what I would hope to see when I play D3. Here's the link.

In the original picture on the bottom left you can see a rainbow....a rainbow...in a Diablo game...

Agreed. 10 years is a long time ago. Perhaps they have actually forgotten what Diablo 2 actually was.

Agreed. 10 years is a long time ago. Perhaps they have actually forgotten what Diablo 2 actually was.

Where in my post did I say Diablo 2? I said the original Diablo. The series has gotten less dark with each game. Anyway, if it is fun to play, I'll still play it. I enjoy a good hack n' slash game.

Originally posted by Kyelthis

Originally posted by Unreal024

Well, if you go by what a large part of the ex-Blizzard North devs went off and created, you probably could say that. Hellgate: London is, I assume, fairly close to the second version of Diablo III that Blizzard rejected just before Blizzard North devs said screw it and left the company. Hellgate: London's art directiong was a lot darker and more in tune with the original Diablo games.

So while a person can't say with absolute certainty, someone could make a pretty good guess that Blizzard North's Diablo III would have been much darker and gone for a less cartoon styled art look.

^^ That.

Diablo 3 does have, in my opinion, quite a few similarities to WoW, most of which are the way the art and animations are handled. D3 doesn't really look like what I would expect from the franchise, but like others have said, that's because it's a different team doing it this time which is unfortunate. It looks too "cartoony" with far too many brights instead of darks.

That said, I'll still buy it but I'm not nearly as thrilled or hyped about it than I used to be, that's for sure. An artist a while back did some work on the screenshots that Blizzard released and made it look much closer to what I would hope to see when I play D3. Here's the link.

In the original picture on the bottom left you can see a rainbow....a rainbow...in a Diablo game...

Every one who signed that petition to remove all colour other than grey and brown from D3 should be slapped... talk about making a fuss over nothing.

Simple solution turn the gamma down on your video card.... or find a black and white monitor with a 1:5 contrast ratio, there nows its dark and you cannot see a thing.

• zephermarkuszephermarkus Member Posts: 201

all blizzard games have the same art style diablo 1 looks like warcraft and starcraft and war3 looks like wow strcraft 2 and d3. If you have been playing blizzard game for aslong as most of you say u have then the graphics and cartoony look would have no effect on if u play their games or not dianlo 3 has the most blood and gore i have eve seen in any blizzard game it is very dark fantasy. iI played it at blizzcon dont judge the game from a bunch of screenshots and short videos. D3 is going to be perfct just like every game blizz puts out stop the hate really it's getting plain old.

Bioware and blizzard are the best video game companies out and if every company put the time and polish into ther games as they did there woudnt be all this hate and all these failed games..

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Yes, the demon hunter looks just like Sylvanas... apart from the ears, hair, red glowing eyes, grey skin, lack of a pulse,

sure both use archery in one form or another and wears thight clothes and a hood... but so does Arwen Tyler too and... heck most female fantasy characters i can think of and fairly many of thom have at one time or another used bows.

So of all the things you could complain about... that was what you decided to snag on. Good for you.

But you are right... this will not be Diablo 2 2.0 even if you woulod have liked that.

This have been a good conversation

Originally posted by zephermarkus

all blizzard games have the same art style diablo 1 looks like warcraft and starcraft and war3 looks like wow strcraft 2 and d3. If you have been playing blizzard game for aslong as most of you say u have then the graphics and cartoony look would have no effect on if u play their games or not dianlo 3 has the most blood and gore i have eve seen in any blizzard game it is very dark fantasy. iI played it at blizzcon dont judge the game from a bunch of screenshots and short videos. D3 is going to be perfct just like every game blizz puts out stop the hate really it's getting plain old.

Bioware and blizzard are the best video game companies out and if every company put the time and polish into ther games as they did there woudnt be all this hate and all these failed games..

So blizzard and bioware are exempt from criticism is what you are saying? When they say jump, do you say how high sir?