Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 will sell you more dungeons

Comments

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by Skooma2

I'm glad I haven't bought into the GW2 hype, although I played GW1 for about 3 years.   The fact that there is going to be RMT selling CONTENT is going to net them one less customer than they thought they were going to have.

Ouch.  This will certainly hurt the bottom line.  They'll have to increase the SRP of their boxes by 0.000008 cents to compensate for this terrible setback.

• anielianieli Member Posts: 114

Paying a monthly sub is more expensive than paying for DLC. Sub sucks because you don't know what you are paying for. I hate F2P and haven't played a single one. However, I loved GW and it was superior expereince to every other MMO I've played. Nuff said. If you don't like it go on the trend mill and the carro...muffins on sticks other MMOs have all in order to make you pay a sub.

Kthxbye

Originally posted by sungodra

Originally posted by drkoracle

I was under the impression that this game was b2p. Not buy and then pay to play for every dungeon they add.

So this is gonna be a MT system where you wind up paying for content anyhow? Can somebody confirm or debunk this. I'm not too thrilled about this new information.

They haven't decided yet but there will be extra things to buy if you want. The game keeps running they have employees to pay and servers to maintain, not to mention cool new stuff to develop for us. This entire thing has been blown way out of proportion, they wont charge you for every little thing. There will no doubt be expansion you have to pay for but that's normal.

If you have played GW1 you will get the idea except in gw2 since its a much larger project there will be more toys to get IF YOU WANT. I seriously doubt they would ever sell anything that would give you a major competitve edge.

So sit back and relax. Wait for the BETA, Game to Start, Item Shop to open before freaking out ^^ 

From my point of view... if the game is good I will support them by buying a cool new mount or a fluffy little pet anyday.

I hope that's true. People need to let it be known that buy to play dungeons are not the way to go.  Say I am grouped with some people and they want to go to some dungeon , i don't have that dungeon so I can't go ?  Sell xpacs, not dungeons. Provide content or it is no better or different from p2p game, probably just cost more.

I know how these MT games wind up .

If there are buy to play dungeons, I will not be buying this game, bottom line. If the content comes in xpacs and free updates, then sure I can go for that.

This is the only problem I have with DLC dungeons.  It prevents you from grouping with anyone at anytime (which is part of the design philosophy) by drawing a line between people who have spent money in the cash shop from those that haven't.  That's a big problem.  Unless the DLC content is being added as part of your personal storyline (hence being solo in nature to begin with), it really should only come out as part of a full expansion.

Solo DLC content = thumbs up

Group DLC content = thumbs down

• KhemicalKhemical Member UncommonPosts: 8

Just want to say that ArenaNet is doing this RIGHT NOW. You have 3 main game sets, 1 expansion pack, and a bonus mission pack. We're already being sold additional content. It's their business model, and it seems to be working.

Why are people outraged by this?

• yoyoyoblakayoyoyoblaka Member Posts: 199

Originally posted by Rynne

I'd rather pay a sub fee and have all content available to me and have the same content as everyone else. At the end of the day, mr Eric knew that there was nothing he could do. We may be seeing a buyable class in an update in 2013.

Dito, making the option to buy dungeons just segregates the player base. 

- It's funny though as a lot of people like myself were pessimistic about an open world mmo that has no sub fees. A lot of us speculated how they would be able to do this without that monthly revenue. 

Please don't compare the pricing model of GW1 to GW2 because one isn't an mmo and the other is. 

• TralakTralak Member Posts: 78

. “Yeah, we’re going to look at what the demand is. Look at what players want more of and we’re going have to release that stuff because that’s the stuff that players are going to be willing to pay for and that’s the stuff that’s going to make our company profitable.”

the question is who are "that players"?  the forum dwellers, the tard guys of Global chat or any shit they will say to justify  a cash shop advantage item over other players.

• AratakiArataki Member UncommonPosts: 239

Originally posted by Tralak

. “Yeah, we’re going to look at what the demand is. Look at what players want more of and we’re going have to release that stuff because that’s the stuff that players are going to be willing to pay for and that’s the stuff that’s going to make our company profitable.”

the question is who are "that players"?  the forum dwellers, the tard guys of Global chat or any shit they will say to justify  a cash shop advantage item over other players.

I myself and leery about how it will work but I must ask, where did you get "cash shop advantage item" from? Earlier in this thread, a quote was put on how loot from the dungeons will be of equal value to loot others get from the established content, save for aethetics. I am all for being sceptic, I am sceptic, but I do like to know what I am being sceptic based on available evidence and not exaggerated conjecture.

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

Originally posted by Arataki

Originally posted by Tralak

I myself and leery about how it will work but I must ask, where did you get "cash shop advantage item" from? Earlier in this thread, a quote was put on how loot from the dungeons will be of equal value to loot others get from the established content, save for aethetics. I am all for being sceptic, I am sceptic, but I do like to know what I am being sceptic based on available evidence and not exaggerated conjecture.

Here's a couple of qoutes from the same article:

So there will be really good gear obtainable through dungeons, through your personal story, or from random drops in the world, and then there will also be really good gear obtainable that’s crafted.
    source

Seems they want to ensure that we have plenty of options for gear and I'm particularly pleased crafted gear will be worth having. GW has plenty of armour and weapon skins, there are 34 different armour sets for the Necro across the 3 campaigns and expansion, all of which can be mix and matched to get a more unique look, I'm sure Anet appreciate how much people enjoyed the diversity and we'll see something similar in GW2, we'll get more choice if we are prepared to use the cash shop no doubt but I'm convinced we will still have plenty of choice without it, time will tell :)

• demonic87demonic87 Member UncommonPosts: 438

/golfclap

Im glad everyone here knows how to read. The article clearly states that they are unsure if they are selling anything like dungeons as DLC yet.

• RynneRynne Member UncommonPosts: 497

Originally posted by demonic87

/golfclap

Im glad everyone here knows how to read. The article clearly states that they are unsure if they are selling anything like dungeons as DLC yet.

And everyone here is discussing on that matter, I can't see your point.

Originally posted by Rynne

/golfclap

And everyone here is discussing on that matter, I can't see your point.

Post count?

• AthcearAthcear Member Posts: 420

"We want more choice!"  "Subs are too expensive!"  "Listen to the players!"

"We won't pay twice!"  "You're just gouging us for more money!"  "Listen to the players!"

Face it.  You're not going to get games for free.  Stop complaining and realize that the prices we're paying are actually pretty reasonable.  Games are expensive to make, and we have to pay for them somehow.  This is a pretty reasonable way to do it.  It's really little different from mini-expansion packs.  And they will be cheaper than expansion packs.

Stop QQ'ing.

Important facts:
    1. Free to Play games are poorly made.
    2. Casuals are not all idiots, but idiots call themselves casuals.
    3. Great solo and group content are not mutually exclusive, but they suffer when one is shoved into the mold of the other. The same is true of PvP and PvE.
    4. Community is more important than you think.

• sungodrasungodra Member Posts: 1,376

/golfclap

The thought is on the table, and the best way to get it off the table is to complain about it.  I just don't want to wind up buying the game and finding out that I can't participate in a certain dungeon with my friends because I didn't fork over the 10-20 dollars or so they want for it (that's just a guess I have no idea how much they plan to charge).

Who knows how many of these dungeons they come up with every month. They may have found a huge money maker here. Hey, lets charge per dungeon and come out with like 10 different generic dungeons a month and then we will be making more money than if we had a monthly sub fee.... That's just what I am getting from this whole topic and the statements provided from the OP, and I don't find that to be acceptable. 

"When it comes to GW2 any game is fair game"

• bookworm438bookworm438 Member Posts: 647

/golfclap

The thought is on the table, and the best way to get it off the table is to complain about it.  I just don't want to wind up buying the game and finding out that I can't participate in a certain dungeon with my friends because I didn't fork over the 10-20 dollars or so they want for it (that's just a guess I have no idea how much they plan to charge).

Who knows how many of these dungeons they come up with every month. They may have found a huge money maker here. Hey, lets charge per dungeon and come out with like 10 different generic dungeons a month and then we will be making more money than if we had a monthly sub fee.... That's just what I am getting from this whole topic and the statements provided from the OP, and I don't find that to be acceptable. 

Re-read the PC Gamer article as well as the response provided by Regina. She has already commented on what Eric has meant. It's not for sure, and she used along the lines of Bonus Mission Pack. If they released something like the Bonus Mission Pack in GW1, I'll be perfectly fine. Everything is up for discussion at this point. If Anet sees a demand for DLC, they'll try it out. If they see a negative response from the community, they won't do more DLC.

Originally posted by bookworm438

/golfclap

Re-read the PC Gamer article as well as the response provided by Regina. She has already commented on what Eric has meant. It's not for sure, and she used along the lines of Bonus Mission Pack. If they released something like the Bonus Mission Pack in GW1, I'll be perfectly fine. Everything is up for discussion at this point. If Anet sees a demand for DLC, they'll try it out. If they see a negative response from the community, they won't do more DLC.

Yes, and I am putting my 2 cents in here and showing my dicontent with a DLC system. Hopefully they will see the response this sort of thing is getting and forget all about it.

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

Who cares, you pay for the game, no monthly fee and once in awhile you pay some for extra content. Stop being so cheap, if you can t afford 10-20 dollars every few months you should probably get another hobby.

Originally posted by Leucent

Who cares, you pay for the game, no monthly fee and once in awhile you pay some for extra content. Stop being so cheap, if you can t afford 10-20 dollars every few months you should probably get another hobby.

How do we know it is only every few months? What if they start pumping out these instances left and right and we have to fork over 10 dollars each dungeon?

The point is the game is B2p, and my understanding was that I would have to pay for expansions, that is a given, but not pay for updates or dungeons.

If it winds up being cheaper than a monthly fee.... maybe that is acceptable ,I guess... but not really. They didn't market this game as being that.

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

How do we know it is only every few months? What if they start pumping out these instances left and right and we have to fork over 10 dollars each dungeon?

The point is the game is B2p, and my understanding was that I would have to pay for expansions, that is a given, but not pay for updates or dungeons.

If it winds up being cheaper than a monthly fee.... maybe that is acceptable ,I guess... but not really. They didn't market this game as being that.

We don t know that, but i m willing to guess they won t purposely piss off the customers that way. It will not be non stop paid content, and even if it was and was made well and worth it I still wouldn t care. It s not a big deal in my eyes, and like I said I doubt they ll be pumping it out that you ll be paying 10-20 a month,

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

There is no subscription fee. So all I care about for now is what buying the box will get me. If that is a complete game with their promised complete set of features, then Im happy. I dont care how they will offer content later on, no matter if it comes in boxed expansions or just downloadable content.

For me what is important is that all game features, races and professions are present when you buy the box. And knowing Arenanet from GW1, I tend to trust them into giving great value for money. But as always I simply wait for what they have to offer when it releases.

We don t know that, but i m willing to guess they won t purposely piss off the customers that way. It will not be non stop paid content, and even if it was and was made well and worth it I still wouldn t care. It s not a big deal in my eyes, and like I said I doubt they ll be pumping it out that you ll be paying 10-20 a month,

They said in that article they are looking to make some kid of a profit...  Thats understandable, that is what companies and business do, but then again if this sort of system is implemented then who is to say the quality will not be lowered? "Ok we need some fast income here let's pump out another dungeon real fast"   just so they can get some quick and easy cash.

I don't like the idea of this sort of system. I think it should be stopped in it's tracks before it actually gets added to the game. Anyhow, I said what I had to say about it.

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157

If Arena Net makes the EXP Gain a lot slower than the first Guild Wars, screws the game up with lots of micro transactions where people who pay have any type of unfair advantage, or starts to place any type of Scam Items at high prices like Cabal Online, or some of these other smaller game companies I will not play it, unless they make an Optional Subscription package with Access to all Dungeons, and additonal XP Gain and such then it is fine, but If I am going to have to spend around $45 a month to buy dungeons and other micro transactions just to play the game then I will not be playing this game because it would be a waste of money.

They said in that article they are looking to make some kid of a profit...  Thats understandable, that is what companies and business do, but then again if this sort of system is implemented then who is to say the quality will not be lowered? "Ok we need some fast income here let's pump out another dungeon real fast"   just so they can get some quick and easy cash.

I don't like the idea of this sort of system. I think it should be stopped in it's tracks before it actually gets added to the game. Anyhow, I said what I had to say about it.

Guild Wars 1 was sold in the exact same way.

Originally posted by someforumguy

No wander why hardly anyone plays it then.

I'm not buying dungeons. Expansions, maybe... dungeons .. no definately not.  Wasn't a fan of guild wars 1. I heard gw2 is more of an MMO and they can't treat it like it is guild wars one.

Originally posted by Renoaku

If Arena Net makes the EXP Gain a lot slower than the first Guild Wars, screws the game up with lots of micro transactions where people who pay have any type of unfair advantage, or starts to place any type of Scam Items at high prices like Cabal Online, or some of these other smaller game companies I will not play it, unless they make an Optional Subscription package with Access to all Dungeons, and additonal XP Gain and such then it is fine, but If I am going to have to spend around $45 a month to buy dungeons and other micro transactions just to play the game then I will not be playing this game because it would be a waste of money.

You should read some interviews so you read that they dont do the usual asian f2p crap.

Originally posted by someforumguy

No wander why hardly anyone plays it then.

I'm not buying dungeons. Expansions, maybe... dungeons .. no definately not.  Wasn't a fan of guild wars 1. I heard gw2 is more of an MMO and they can't treat it like it is guild wars one.

This only shows you know not much about Guild Wars 1 or how the content was offered to the players. It uses the exact same b2p model as GW2. They also specifically didnt add certain things to the online shop. Maybe look into how it was done with GW1 first so you learn about Arenanet and how they listened to their community, before coming up with your next 'what if' scenario.

Anyone can come up with crazy 10$ a dungeon what if scenarios. Its just odd that you can only think of negative possibilities.

Oh, and buying a dungeon in an expansion is buying a dungeon. Actually you buy dungeons from buying the first box. Why not wait first untill they actually announce what will be in the shop. That is something they do before the game will release, so you have nothing to worry about.