Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Seven Reasons Cataclysm Could Suck

Comments

• tabarjacktabarjack Member UncommonPosts: 249

I think the next game coming with an actual fresh idea, not just a new way to present old crap to people, will be GW2. Only time will tell if they actually deliver though.

• bestiacorpusbestiacorpus Member Posts: 114

Max level boredom is caused by the player alone.  5 year hardcore raider (ex-raider, RL responsibilities took over).  Waiting in cities is not how WoW is meant to be played.

Here's a short list to make your WoW more exciting:

1.  Join/Start a competitive hardcore raiding (PvE/PvP) guild.  Top 50 world, top 5 server!  Easy game? Prove it!

2.  Alts! Don't get stuck playing 1 class.  Re-live the journey.  Learn the other classes so you don't get shat on in PvP!  Options Options Options!

3.  Crafting/Gathering.  More money, more PvE/PvP encounters, and more funny moments!  Gather-steal hahaha!

4.  Help newbs.  From low level assists to Heroic Dungeon Tanking/Healing/DPSing for freshies gearing up for the big time.  Nothing will make you feel loved like a Thank You! whisper from a new player.

5.  Explore with your land mount.  The sceneries are more exciting down there (PLUS more PvE/PvP encounters again!).  Screenshots Screenshots Screenshots!

6.  RolePlay!  Comedy gold. Nuff said.

7.  Hunt down the other factions members from lowbies to Rated Arena Masters.  Bring out the macro manual! It's time to get educated!

8.  World PvP in RP gear.  World PvP in RP settings.  Block the road!  Camp the Boats! 

9.  Auctioneer.  Control the economy. 

10.  Participate in Chat comedy.  /Ignore is for the weak.

11.  Gank until you start a war.  Hell! It's high time for the next Tarren Mill - SouthShore War!

WoW = boring?  I say, You're Doin' It Wrong!

• OkhamsRazorOkhamsRazor Member Posts: 1,047

Honestly whats the point in these list articles other than to stir debate . If this were a thread in the WoW forums we would be crying TROLL .

I like real news myself not speculation .

• NightGod473NightGod473 Member Posts: 32

Originally posted by Ozmodan

Originally posted by Frostbite05

Actually while the leveling process has been simplified, the raiding process is heading back to the more complex.  Current raid strategy is to pull everything and aoe like mad.  Cataclysm is going to change that back to the days when you had to use crowd control.  Going to be a big change for many who never did any raiding at the 60 level.

Yea but thats just trash mobs bosses now are waaayyyyyy more complex then they were back in the day.

I rather doubt that.  You only have to coordinate 25 people these days, try doing it with 40!  You have no clue how difficult the 40 mans were!

Try the 72 man raids back in the olden days of Everquest. Or the ~100 man raids back with no channels and no raid tools for forming groups and no voice chat. Get off my Lawn! Crazy kids!!!

/crotchety_old_man

• MavadoKenyenMavadoKenyen Member Posts: 104

You got a problem with us furries? Well I don't take too kindly to your hate mongering in this article. Ending post now before I abuse a posting rule.

• FreddyNoNoseFreddyNoNose Member Posts: 1,558

Originally posted by Dyner

Actually while the leveling process has been simplified, the raiding process is heading back to the more complex.  Current raid strategy is to pull everything and aoe like mad.  Cataclysm is going to change that back to the days when you had to use crowd control.  Going to be a big change for many who never did any raiding at the 60 level.

Um...yeah...I'll believe it when I see it. If you all recall the devs specifically stated that WRATH was going to be a return to what made World of Warcraft popular in the first place. Maybe it was the fault of the veterns, but we believed that meant the game would be getting slightly harder and more rewarded. Instead it was the total opposite, gear doesn't mean anything now...sittin in full t10 here on my shaman and guess what; HE DOESN'T EVEN HAVE ICC 1st WING DOWN ON 10-man; my main had down up to LK (10man) though.

Sigh, I miss the days of seeing raiders in Org / SW with thunderfury and wondering where they got it...and after finding out its pieces-parts drop in MC wanting to go there and get one for myself. Ah, the days when gearing meant something...the days of...The Rogue.

....we ain't got now li-hiii-ves

Same here, I will believe it when I see it.  I liked vanilla wow and tbc but while wrath looked cool the aoeing wasn't fun.

I remember my first thunderfury experience,  in AV getting killed by one wondering wtf was that!

• kb4blukb4blu Member UncommonPosts: 717

Originally posted by Morninglord

I Still believe and have read many times, WoW in itself is a great game, it's the community that brings it down.

Best description yet

• Yes running out of steam. They just announced they are up to 12 million concurent subs. So yea losing steam. I also find it hard to believe that 3 years ago the dudes nephew or whatever was running around on an 80 when WOTLK has been out for 2 years so yea your a liar. Thanks for playing.

• The new raid videos on mmo-champion would like a word with u.

• ZibooZiboo Member UncommonPosts: 158

Definitely a topic to get the discussion going!

I don't agree with much of it.  The whole Worgen/Goblin will have a bunch like the DK's, and eventually they'll taper off.  Some will level, most won't. 

Barrens Chat - it has it's own specialness.  I actually find it fairly humorous.  Better than trade chat!

Age easy?  Yea.  IDK should the game be only 18-26 demographci?  WoW is played by a variety of ages.  It's not Hello Kitty and there are more R rated games for people that want just mature.  Personally I don't think WoW is appropriate for under 12, but if someone wants to play around with their kids, whatever.  I'd prefer to play 21+, but I've seen some damn immature adluts in PuGs and trade chat!

Hitting the CAP?  Well which game doesn't that happen in?  Every MMO has a max level or max enjoyment.  Why they have expansions!

I've avoided Beta and world change info as I do want to see it all as first hand as possible.

Proud member of Hammerfist Clan Gaming Community.

Currently playing: RIFT, EQ2, WoW, LoTRO
    Retired: Warhammer, AoC, EQ
    Waiting: SWToR & GW2

• ZibooZiboo Member UncommonPosts: 158

Originally posted by colddog04

Is your four year old looking for a raiding guild?

We need a healer.

Love it!!!!

Proud member of Hammerfist Clan Gaming Community.

Currently playing: RIFT, EQ2, WoW, LoTRO
    Retired: Warhammer, AoC, EQ
    Waiting: SWToR & GW2

• gekkothegreygekkothegrey Member Posts: 236

Nothing in this story is correct other then the hunters roll on everything. I agree with that but its not just a hunter thing they need to have gear that is clearly for a specific class so it cuts down on fighting over gear. The rest of this story was the worst I have ever seen on mmorpg. The biggest issue I take with it was how it says wow is simple. Wow is very easy to pick up and play which is a good thing, its also easy to cap, but if your wanting end game raiding gear wow is anything but easy. In world of warcrafts raiding is not just sit still and attack the boss like most mmo's the whole raid has to work together and do things the right way or its a wipe. I am not saying wow is perfect its not, but attack it on what is bad like "the community" or "no player housing" and do not just make things up that you do not know what your talking about because anyone that says wow is a simple game I assure you does not have end game raiding gear, and if they say they do its simple they are lying.

• metal0xmetal0x Member UncommonPosts: 72

I was waiting for the ogre class to be playable, but no. Looks like blizz forgot about them again for horde side.

• zugurudumbazugurudumba Member Posts: 33

I'm a WoW hater, but this article is so, so bad.

• KlizziKlizzi Member Posts: 110

I honestly read the title and thought, " hmm , this could be an interesting read, I wonder what the reasons are?" - Not even a quarter through I couldn't read it anymore, so I skimmed the remaining blue font and much to my expectation, it was equally terrible.

You sir, have managed to baffle me. It doesn't happen often, but never had I expected a "staff writer" to write up such an incomprehensibly terrible post. I could spend 15 minutes proving every one of your aforementioned "reasons", but why bother. This is obviously either a troll post or just..... I don't know. I hope you're trolling. 

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,991

They may need to set up a new chat channel for the sort of new players Cataclysm will attract: 

/lfpsg Lf pre school grp, am heals, 4yr+

It does not matter that a 4yr old won’t be doing the raids, any MMO should require a sophistication greater than the IQ of a four year old at level 1. What sort of dumb arse do they expect their players to be?

• UngoHumungoUngoHumungo Member Posts: 518

There is something to be said when the reivewer makes a post that would most likely be deleted  by forum moderators to prevent flame wars..... That being said.....Don't lick the icing off your cupcake and decided you don't want it anymore.   You picked 5 random features from the game and tried to poorly poorly bash on it.  Which tells me you put zero to no effort into your research had you actually done the research you would know....                                                          1. Goblins Are Too Cool: Seriously is that the best you can come up with?  Thats like saying I play horde so Elves suck.                                                                                                                                2. For Ages Four and Up: It may very well be that your 4 year old is playing WoW, but I would look at this as a good thing seeing thier cognitve skills being able to absord and process a flood of informations that most adults and teenagers can't comprehend.                              3.Five More Levels and then?  Nothing.  Still.  If you don't like to level a character with xp I suggest you get out your super nintendo and play some mario brothers                              4.Furry Invasion  again this complaint is similiar to the Goblin comment.  Wheres your meat and potatoes.                                                                                                                                                 5.The New Old World: Do you not like new content or just hate mmos in general                            6.Barrens Chat in Full Force Again:  But if you actually played recent you would know that you can only send TWO messages every THREE minutes in a   publicchannel.                                     7.Hunters Roll on Everything Still: Wow you just haven't played the game at all have you......you must actually play the game to give and accurate report on a game, not just your miss-givings you have done a grave injustice to MMO players by giving them a biased opinion of someone who hasn't even play cataclysm.   You should be ashamed of yourself.  You have a responsiblity shwn you post an article to give fair and accurate information. All you did is complain about feature of the game you saw on the feature list on the wow homepage.  PLAY THE GAME!   Then by all means if you still don't like it bash it then you article will actually make sense when it makes a claim instead of just bashin on the general idea.

There are times when one must ask themselves is it my passion that truly frightens you? Or your own?

• UngoHumungoUngoHumungo Member Posts: 518

wrap around ftl

There are times when one must ask themselves is it my passion that truly frightens you? Or your own?

• drazzahdrazzah Member UncommonPosts: 437

I honestly dont agree with any of this, this shows no proof on how the game could suck. Just how it could suck FOR YOU.

I play a hunter and we do NOT roll on everything. We can only use Mail armor. Yes we can use leather but why would you when i if you wear all Mail you get 5% agi bonus? Plus some mail gear has INT and SPIRIT which has no use on hunters. 

This is a bad article and should of been written better

• GikkuGikku Member Posts: 208

Originally posted by Wraithone

Since one of my five 80's is a hunter, I'm LONG past sick and tired of this "Huntard" nonsense.  There are thoughtless, rude and ignorant *people* in ALL classes.  Hunter is no better and no worse than any other class from my experience.   From DK's who forget to switch to frost presence while trying to tank(face palm) to 'locks and mages nuking everything in sight, before the tank has aggro(and then whining about dying... ^^).  To healers who think they are a dps class... Every class has clueless people in it.  But from what I hear, the new expansion is going to be closer to the old school style of aggro control(which made CC quite important).

As for the end game problem at 85, its likely to be the same as its always been. Blizzard doesn't want to put the effort into a system that scales with level, so they hard cap it, and rely on raiding and PvP to hold end game attention for as long as possible.

I agree with you about people in all classes. But I have to ask how long it has been since you have been in the game?

As of this last patch DK's tank spec is Blood, Hunters don't have mana,  AOE has been nerfed for all but DK's and some healers will be DPS some to help them due to changes.  Things like Spirit, Haste and now Mastery are something to take a look at. Oh and like someone said old school for now Everyone is having to relearn their class and how to be efficient again. Tanks are having to work at aggro again no more easy peesy.

Gikku

• MisterSrMisterSr Member UncommonPosts: 928

Barrens chat won't be back, the barrens is now I believe a level 30 zone. I'm guessing you can expect the old barrens chat to vanish from existence. 

• CHAKALACHAKALA Member Posts: 9

When WoW came out it was fun. After TBC it got awful!

• Crazy00EyesCrazy00Eyes Member Posts: 91

First, a bit about me.  I've played WoW for 6 years on and off since 2004, started in the beta, usually quitting for a few months near the end of every expansion.  I've played all classes, with a Warlock main and I've leveled a couple alts to 80, but I prefer to focus on one character.  Here's my list of why Cataclysm will suck for me and why I won't play it:

Outdated Graphics

My largest issue, the graphics in the game are still ~2004.  Sure, they can and have added new models and textures, and now a new water mechanic (which my computer can't display even though it's rather overqualified for the job).  But the game engine can only be modified so much before you have to start over from scratch to see some major improvements.  I was never a huge fan of the cartoony models, and now I'm extremely tired of the way this game looks; especially the character models.

No New Classes

No new classes to level up, this is really lame if you've played them all.  New races might be cool if you want to level a class you haven't played before, but if you've played them all it's still going to be a borefest.  The only reason to play a new race for me would be to check out the starting zones.

Oversimplification of Class Mechanics

This started in WotLK and is really ramping up in Cata.  Talent Trees, stats, etc. all being dumbed down to easy-to-gauge formats, making class knowledge less important when making talent and gear/stat choices.  It will be more difficult to distinguish between strong and weak players at a glance.

The Old World Revisited

If you aren't leveling a new toon, this really is a lot of wasted effort on behalf of Blizzard trying to cater to newer players.  Instead they could have focused on more endgame content to keep veteran players from being bored and quitting.

Only 5 New Levels/No new talent tier

This one isn't really a big deal, since it's going to take more time to level and some talents have been changed or added to lower tiers.  However, I predict it will still be faster leveling than 70-80 since there are fewer new zones as well.

Conclusions

I feel WoW and MMOs in general are overdeveloped to keep a healthy subscriber pool to make money.  For example, Blizzard has never made more than one expansion for any of their other games.  In a nutshell, I don't think I can ever come back to this game.  Starcraft 2, however, really has me hooked so I will probably be playing it in the years to come, in addition to Diablo 3.

Also, I am extremely eager for the announcement of Blizzard's new MMO supposedly set in a new game world.  I was hoping to hear about it at Blizzcon this year but it seems we will have to wait yet another year before we even know what it's called.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Played: Clan Lord, WoW, Matrix Online, LOTR:O, EVE, Tabula Rasa, Warhammer Online, Rift
    Playing: Starcraft 2, Battlefield 3

• LatellaLatella Member Posts: 189

Time to resurrect my "Looking for more, no hunters or paladins" macro <3

Rawr.

• pelerinulpelerinul Member Posts: 22

Originally posted by Joarnaj

I am a little surprised to see people trashing on the idea that kids are really good at wow. First off, teach a 12 year old a console video game and teach me, a 39 year old, a console video game and see who kicks who's butt. I'm betting on the 12 year old. At this point, a lot of adults are probably thinking, "yeah but the game should be mentally more complex than that." Really? Take a 12 year old who's iq = mine and teach us both a programming language - or any language for that matter. Who grasps the complexities quicker and has more success? Again - the 12 year old wins every time. Heck, even for non-computer related games the kids often have the advantage. Ever played Laser Tag with a bunch of adolescents? I used to help run adult and youth mixed leagues and the youth killed - until they inched closer to adulthood. That's when they started getting hit by the natural nerf-hammer.

We adults like to pretend that we can outsmart, outwit, and outplay kids at mmo's even though that doesn't hold true for most other non-mmo activities and certainly doesn't hold true for other activities that involve a computer and some software. I have never been naive to the fact that a large part of my mmo experience, WoW or otherwise, has been shared with youth - and that often those are the best players. For leadership and raid organization I'll take the adult but if I'm looking for unbelievable dps my money's on the 12 year old.

I quit WOW for the same reasons mantioned in this article.. they dumbed down the game making it esy so that idiot kids can play... You can now days do instances youre lvl with 3 ppl at instance lvl when in the old days it was really hard with five. I really loved WOW but with this dual spec crap and other things it made me quit it... heck i say they make it triple spec, max lvl for every1 from the start and we can all go to sleep.. i don;t care what they come up with i am not going back unless they make it as it was.... they lost steam becose they where greedy... MMOs are not for 3 y.o. they are based to the dungeon and dragons concept and that is a game for mature ppl. Kids can play FPS and race cars they don't have the patience to spend hours going thorugh the storyline... that was Blizz fatal mistake in my opinion.. and they are losing players fast.. cose the devoted players are quiting.. most of them... and the kids will play a month or two untill they get bored if they dont get borred in the first week. I personaly expected more foresight from Blizz.

[Mod Edit]