Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning: Thanquol's Incursion In Development

2»

Comments

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,880

Originally posted by Bjino

I really wanted this game to be a great success. I was a big DAoC Fan until ToA, and I was hoping for some of that magic with WAR. I couldn't have been more wrong. What a terribly developed game. Poor design choices from the ground up, terrible client and more bad decisions on how to repair the damage. I paid for back to back 6 month subs hoping against hope they would have a magic patch, but it wasn't to be.

T1 and T2 aren’t bad and can actually be fun with the right population density, but in T3 the really problems start to show, zerging, graveyard zerging, I have been killed and then ran right back to battle and killed the person who killed me while they still hadn’t recovered from our previous fight. Boring, monotonous ORvR where we fight from the foot of our warcamp to the foot of theirs and back again for no real reason. Standing around waiting for a ‘tick’, this has to be one of the lamest mechanics ever, stand and do nothing to wait from some points. I have 6 chars in the 33-36 level range because I just couldn’t stomach the sheer monotony of T4 and the ridiculous CC, it’s as if they learned nothing from the AE-insta-stun/mez from DAoC.

And they neglected the one thing they were actually doing pretty well. Scenarios. Instead they nerfed them because, (and this kills me) people were using them!! My goodness well we better put a stop to that right away and force people out to our weakest feature ORvR!2 years and very little attention is paid to scenarios, no ladder system, no website stats nothing.

And just sloppy polishing, two years later and I still get stuck on flat rocks. Grrr.

I still play a trial account since T1 is still mostly fun, even if it is only one zone and the subscription twinks are using high level potions I don’t have access to but still fun.

I am thoroughly convinced DAoC was a fluke, pure luck or the developer(s) who actually had the good ideas left shortly after release.

It wasn't a fluke the game just worked WAR works now and would have 700k+ subs if it was released in its current state but it wasn't

• SynthetickSynthetick Member Posts: 977

It's a shame how this game unfolded. The pre-launch hype-train was one of the most entertaining and exciting pre-launch hype facades I've taken part of (other than maybe Guild Wars 2, here's to hoping that one is worth the hype).

I had a lot of good times playing, too, but the performance issues always brought me to a halt, and then the frustrations of realizing any of the decent content in the game made my PC a slideshow, I would uninstall.

Now the game suffers from the "is it worth investing in" crowd of MMOs because of the uncertainty of the title's future. However, this is a major step in the right direction and depending on the final reaction, hell, I might even try resubscribing again.

• BoqokBoqok Member Posts: 15

[...] In WAR scenarios, you get auto-kicked and get little to no XP if you are AFK. [...]

Ya, I know.  I was in Beta and played quite a bit.  My point is is that being a DAoC vet, and having the environment there where you and the intimate gaming setting containing your immediate guild who you've leveled, geared, and played with could venture out into a giant world and not have to be joined at the hip to people you don't know, and don't care to know (not that they are bad people, but if I am having a party at my house the door isn't open for people who aren't invited).

I don't want to 'instance' with people who want to AFK.  I don't want to instance with people who don't know my spec, don't know how to assist, don't know how to stay in heal range, don't know etc..etc...

Instance BGs are trash.  Period.  The fact that some disrespectful tard can even get into my game and have the option to go AFK and exploit it is trash. 

The game bombed because they did not provide the environment that had captured so many people for years in DAoC.  Because they create a new 'BG instance' is not going to change that.

That's what I meant.  A timer that kicks AFKers does not even begin to give a reason to the huge mass of people that were beating their heads on the wall to play at release - to come back.

They don't care.  They are obviously making money, and people will buy what they put out.  Lots of them will enjoy themselves.  I just don't see it - for me - personally.

The game was a disappointment - for me.

• Tyraell91Tyraell91 Member Posts: 25

Hm... As I see it's getting better, I'm going to resub it ^_^

GL WHO