Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift- Player housing and PvP

2»

Comments

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

Originally posted by Rockgod99

Originally posted by yorkforce

...snip...

I have a problem with this.

Being negative before you even see the feature.

Basically expecting it to be crap.

An attitude like that is just asking for a major let down.

Your already counting a feature out months before its implemented...

Am I the only one that sees a problem with the way many people on this forum all ready have a negative opinion or expectations on something that wont even be released anytime soon?

I disagree with this.  Negativity is a defense mechanism.  If you expect something to be crap, if it is crap - you are not being let down.  It is what you expected.  Now if it is not crap, you are plesantly surprised and may even experience a euphoric moment.

However, if you are positive and expect something to be good - if it is good, then again it is just what you expected.  It may have that passing moment of nifty, but in the end it is still just what you expected.  Now of course, if it is much better than you expected, you will be pleasantly surprised and have a little of that oh la la.  However, if it is crap - you will be let down and experience that malaise.

If you do not get your hopes up, you cannot be let down...

...does this mean that many people may find you to be a miserable person to be around?  Sure, but that is only because they had their hopes up about the kind of person you might be and were let down.

Negativity is obviously far superior from that perspective, no?

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

Originally posted by wallet113

In regards to the Player Housing, I've heard it all before:

Devs: we want it, but after release... few months after release you get this generic crap that all you can do to it is stare at it, or maybe hang a fecking trophy on the wall because they spent the previous 3-6 months fixing the basic gameplay that everyone complains about.

Ill believe it when I see it, but unless a game announces that player housing has been an original design idea from near the start of development ill not read too much into it tbh.

Am I the only one that sees a problem with the way many people on this forum all ready have a negative opinion or expectations on something that wont even be released anytime soon?

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

Bahh... I don't hope something is good. I wait until its released, try it out and if its fun i stick with it.

I've never been a fan of housing in themepark games but i refuse to expect it to suck right out the gate.

I have a more, wait and see type of attitude with this entire genre now.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

Originally posted by VirusDancer

...snip...

I disagree with this.  Negativity is a defense mechanism.  If you expect something to be crap, if it is crap - you are not being let down.  It is what you expected.  Now if it is not crap, you are plesantly surprised and may even experience a euphoric moment.

However, if you are positive and expect something to be good - if it is good, then again it is just what you expected.  It may have that passing moment of nifty, but in the end it is still just what you expected.  Now of course, if it is much better than you expected, you will be pleasantly surprised and have a little of that oh la la.  However, if it is crap - you will be let down and experience that malaise.

If you do not get your hopes up, you cannot be let down...

...does this mean that many people may find you to be a miserable person to be around?  Sure, but that is only because they had their hopes up about the kind of person you might be and were let down.

Negativity is obviously far superior from that perspective, no?

If you expect something to be crap, you will go out of your way to make it crap.

Over analyze a feature until you find a flaw (which you could do with anything) and suck the fun out of it for you.

People that do that are like the Grinch of MMOs.

• GrootGroot Member UncommonPosts: 87

If they add housing it should be just DAoC's housing.  A totally seperate instance(s) with predetermined lots/housing styles/and hook points in the houses that anyone can visit.  I loved that style so much.  You could have the simpliest house or a grand mansion with tons of trophies, craft nodes, vendors, etc etc.  The neighborhood style/setup was amazing.  You could make your own village with your friends, or guild village, and they could just keep expanding the zones/instance enterance.  

• TaristarTaristar Member UncommonPosts: 34

Well with the way the invasions and rifts sound and that there is not much room for housing. Maybe they could include it with a content patch later that adds more areas that you have to take out the invading forces in order to make the area safe or somaewhat safe for housing. Horizons was supposd to have a feature that the closer to the war front you were the more likely the house could be attacked by npc's.

Don't think players should be able to damage the houses otherwise the griefing would get extreme unless the houses were terribly hard to take out. But some UO mechanincs with an open area/zone sort of feel instead fo instances could be nice.

Give folks something to do to claim the land needed to build houses n stuff on don't just do apartment instances. If you really want something cool add the construction parts to the tradeskills or a new tradeskill and make housing a community project like Horizons as well.

Would help add some diversity to the game and help some on the community end as well. But I expect it is too big of a job for Trion to manage.

Originally posted by VirusDancer

...snip...

If you expect something to be crap, you will go out of your way to make it crap.

Over analyze a feature until you find a flaw (which you could do with anything) and suck the fun out of it for you.

The self-fulfilling prophecy is a fallacy though.

Take cheesecake for example.  Cheesecake?  Sounds gross.  This is going to be crap.  Cheesecake?  You mean like cream cheese?  You've got to be kidding me.  Gag me with a spoon.  Have to say that cheesecake is pretty damn awesome.  I was extremely and pleasantly surprised.

One can be negative, critical, et al and still be open-minded.  And lowering expectations does not necessarily mean that you end up settling.  While one can take that didactic view of life, in my experience it generally does not mesh well with living.

The only way I could see housing being done is by adding a instance portal in the major cities of the game.

Move the banking system into housing and let people decorate and put little rewards from achievements and collections in their homes for display, maybe glass cases for keeping old armor sets, hanging rare weapons on the wall.

Stuff like that.

Complete fluff, totally optional.

• Marcus-Marcus- Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

Maybe some have been programmed to be that way......

When a lot developers these days seem to promise products that dont live up to the developers own hype, or what they stated was going to be there, people might tend to get a bit leary of more promises.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Originally posted by Astraeis

Actually, when they say that player housing is now being considered, that already is a news scoop, since till recently they have always said the opposite. The only crack in that wall was when Scott made the loose remark about housing in which he said they were not even considering it, but who knows what might happen.

Being a cautious type I would wait for a more positive confirmation before assuming player housing will be in the game though.

I don't see how housing would fit in the lore of the characters.  You're basically a superbeing designed(LITERALLY if you're Defiant) to protect and save the world.  I can't imagine it, any more than I could imagine Gandalf having a house.  I suppose you could say it's the home of your original soul?

Originally posted by Marcus-

When a lot developers these days seem to promise products that dont live up to the developers own hype, or what they stated was going to be there, people might tend to get a bit leary of more promises.

PR for games always try to build up a game. Anyone thats been playing MMOs the last few years and have been burned by releases like WAR & Aion know that you should do your own research. Watch gameplay videos, read up on info from testers and what not.

Everyone in this genre should know PR is the devil.

Being negative to save yourself from a letdown wouldnt be needed if you researched a new game.

The only way I could see housing being done is by adding a instance portal in the major cities of the game.

Move the banking system into housing and let people decorate and put little rewards from achievements and collections in their homes for display, maybe glass cases for keeping old armor sets, hanging rare weapons on the wall.

Stuff like that.

Complete fluff, totally optional.

Yeah, could imagine the flood of tears if it was something akin to SWG housing in a SB world.

Kind of one of the things that blew my mind in EVE with people wanting to be able to decorate a cabin aboard their ships...were they planning to have a ship they never undocked?

I suppose the vendor placement in SWG was one of the features that took it beyond fluff.  Thought it was awesome that you could have display models of various items that you were selling on the vendors - being able to customize what the vendors said, etc.

I just do not see something like that working in RIFT.  Given the limited amount of space, rifts opening here and there, not sure how they could manage the fluff housing players might want.

If there was more land, I could see them introducing player built cities more along the lines of SB - but that would be pretty exclusionary since they would be subject to attacks by the other side and rifts as well.  Also, something like that works better in a FFA game that is not limited by factions.

• Marcus-Marcus- Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

Originally posted by Marcus-

PR for games always try to build up a game. Anyone thats been playing MMOs the last few years and have been burned by releases like WAR & Aion know that you should do your own research. Watch gameplay videos, read up on info from testers and what not.

Everyone in this genre should know PR is the devil.

Being negative to save yourself from a letdown wouldnt be needed if you researched a new game.

I'm sorry, i didnt think we were talking about the release of a new game as much as we were an addition to an existing  game, like player housing..

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Originally posted by Robsolf

Originally posted by Astraeis

Actually, when they say that player housing is now being considered, that already is a news scoop, since till recently they have always said the opposite. The only crack in that wall was when Scott made the loose remark about housing in which he said they were not even considering it, but who knows what might happen.

Being a cautious type I would wait for a more positive confirmation before assuming player housing will be in the game though.

I don't see how housing would fit in the lore of the characters.  You're basically a superbeing designed(LITERALLY if you're Defiant) to protect and save the world.  I can't imagine it, any more than I could imagine Gandalf having a house.  I suppose you could say it's the home of your original soul?

Just because you're an ascendant, doesn't mean you still don't have to eat or sleep.

Besides, if done creatively housing can be be a source of additional progression content.

Say housing needs to be made in a 'neighborhood' that is instanced. The neighborhood you are a part of has certain 'service' structures that allow for crafters to make more powerful equipment and/or give bonuses to crafting in general. The more a neighborhood grows and advances, the more it attracts the attention of the invaders from the planes... as such, players need to periodically defend their neck of the woods from rifts, or risk their neighborhood being pummeled back down and losing progress on their 'service' building advancement.

• boojiboyboojiboy Member UncommonPosts: 1,553

Originally posted by blueturtle13

Well I would like player housing but it isnt a game killer for me. If they put it in at a later date that is fine. If not? That is fine as well. It also depends on how the housing works.I loved my house in EQ2 yet I could care less about my home in Vanguard.

But none the less it is good to hear it is not completly off the table at least at some point.

I was the opposite, I didn't care for my house in EQ2 (mostly because it was instanced), but loved my house in Vanguard as my crafting and harvesting friend helped me build it and it was a non-instanced piece of prime property on the river in Qalia.  Not a game killer for me either, but it was very cool to work hard to build something of your own in the world and then leave the door unlocked so folks could check out your digs.

• KilmarKilmar Member UncommonPosts: 844

I already preordered Rift, but no housing was always a big letdown for me

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Originally posted by mmonooblet

player housing is the last thing they should waste their time with... gameplay and actual CONTENT should come first.  Honestly, I really don't get this fascination some people have with player housing.  If I wanta  house, i'll play sims.

Player housing in a game like Rift "is" a waste of resources.  It was never meant to be anything more than a theme park game.   They should concentrate on adding more theme park rides, better dungeons, and PVP aspects.   Housing for Rift?  LOL!

• BlackndBlacknd Member Posts: 600

Originally posted by Teala

player housing is the last thing they should waste their time with... gameplay and actual CONTENT should come first.  Honestly, I really don't get this fascination some people have with player housing.  If I wanta  house, i'll play sims.

Player housing in a game like Rift "is" a waste of resources.  It was never meant to be anything more than a theme park game.   They should concentrate on adding more theme park rides, better dungeons, and PVP aspects.   Housing for Rift?  LOL!

Housing can, and has, existed in themepark MMOs.

Not sure why housing can only exist in sandbox games..

.. But in a good way.

• sungodrasungodra Member Posts: 1,376

Player housing would be nice. I hope they add more maps for the world so we cn have player housing and open pvp raids in our towns.

"When it comes to GW2 any game is fair game"

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Originally posted by Blacknd

Rift was not designed with it in mind.  It'll be tacked on like DAoC.    DAoC's was a sad attempt to add housing to a game that never intended to have housing.   Rift is that kind of game.

• SirDerpSirDerp Member UncommonPosts: 72

Originally posted by sungodra

Player housing would be nice. I hope they add more maps for the world so we cn have player housing and open pvp raids in our towns.

That would be pretty epic. I enjoy player housing a lot, but being able to raid someone else's house... now that is win! haha Have neighborhoods with houses lined up, or even cities, just sounds awesome. I like being able to customize my stuff and a house would be great for that, hopefully they will make the houses have some use though.

• EmhsterEmhster Member UncommonPosts: 913

One thing to consider is Trion Worlds won't have to spend the next 6 to 24 months fixing bugs in Rift like most releases since 2006 *cough*AoC/WAR/FFXIV*cough*. That clears up a bunch of time to work on more content/new features such as player housing image

• BlackndBlacknd Member Posts: 600

Originally posted by Blacknd

Rift was not designed with it in mind.  It'll be tacked on like DAoC.    DAoC's was a sad attempt to add housing to a game that never intended to have housing.   Rift is that kind of game.

Care to give any reasons why it would be a bad addition?

.. But in a good way.

• Honeymoon69Honeymoon69 Member Posts: 647
    screw the housing I would rather they add keep siege, relic raid from daoc.
  • LukainLukain Member UncommonPosts: 591

Content ?  Player Housing done right can add Massive content to any game , Quests , collections , crafting , guild Halls , transportation & much much more can be part of Housing ..

• fervorfervor Member Posts: 145

The importance of player houses is almost always underestimated by players and devs.

Unfortunately, the secret is that it has to be done right.  Just tacking it on is almost a waste of dev resources.  It has to be well integrated into the game itself.  In the case of a themepark game like this one, it should have quests/rewards/etc.  It has to be useful as a kind of minihub.  Your house should be another status symbol for you.  For that to happen, it requires a LOT of dev resources, which should really be dedicated to fixing bugs and adding content for the immediate future.