Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars Galaxies: October Producer's Letter

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The October version of the Star Wars Galaxies Producer's Letter has arrived on the official site. The letter covers a wide variety of topics including fishing, the 7th anniversary event, player load screens, the Galactic Civil War, the rare loot system and more.

Wow! I have to say we had a great time working on this event. It started out a little slow with the initial gifts being decorations but it really started to heat up after we released the Kashyyyk tree house. Some of the developers were at SOE Fan Faire right after that gift went live and we got to talk to the players in person. Everyone was so excited about it at Fan Faire that it really touched each of us. It's hard to keep outdoing yourself in an event like this but I like to think the devs did a pretty good job.

Also keeping the gifts a surprise, well at least until they go live, has been fun also. It's something we will try to keep doing.

Now to tease the final gift a bit... All I can say is WOW. It is amazing. Actually it's two gifts and both of them are awesome. You will get one awesome gift just for logging in. You will get the other more awesome gift by finishing the SWG 7 collection. I have to say again that the devs really had a very fun time coming up with, giving out, and seeing your reactions to the gifts. Also, the changes we've made to the game to support some of the functionality we put into them will be used going forward as well. For example, we can now make a portable bazaar terminal. That is really cool. There may be some other things we can do with that support as well. Oh yeah and there's a fun twist to the finale as well that you will get to see when it goes live next week. And yes it's going live next week!

Read more here.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• WumiWumi Member UncommonPosts: 85

cant really think of saying anything that havn't been said so many times before

Wumi - SWG - Bloodfin - Cancelled
    Wumi - WoW - Eu-Kazzak - Cancelled
    Bulldozer - Aion - Eu-Kahrun - Cancelled
    Wumi - Rift - EU-Riptalon - Cancelled

• celee2222celee2222 Member Posts: 123

Then il say it

PRE CU FTW!!!!

• SelkaSelka Member Posts: 11

PRECU SERVERS OR DIE !!!

• SelfDestructProSelfDestructPro Member UncommonPosts: 323

Wow, boring.  I'm waiting for SWG to go F2P so I can say, look even when it's F2P I won't play it.

• NinevenNineven Member UncommonPosts: 86

Here we are, years later, and people still want Pre-CU. That has to say something about what players really want.

• DaakkonDaakkon Member UncommonPosts: 607

Originally posted by Nineven

Here we are, years later, and people still want Pre-CU. That has to say something about what players really want.

We want fishing & zombies in our Star Wars!

Why play Pre-CU when we can have those 2 things.

• OzzilupoOzzilupo Member UncommonPosts: 13

CU wasn't bad in my perspective because from what i remember was still 32 plus professions to mix and match. The NGE on the other hand completely dumbed down the game though.

• ZsavoozZsavooz Member Posts: 532

Originally posted by seniorfrito

Wow, boring.  I'm waiting for SWG to go F2P so I can say, look even when it's F2P I won't play it.

too funny, and agreed! 

• ExcessionExcession Member RarePosts: 709

Originally posted by VGameOzz

CU wasn't bad in my perspective because from what i remember was still 32 plus professions to mix and match. The NGE on the other hand completely dumbed down the game though.

exactly, the CU everyone knew about, and was expecting, it was the NGE that they surprised everyone with and completely changed the game.

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

• RoyalkinRoyalkin Member UncommonPosts: 267

/sigh Really?

• purewitzpurewitz Member UncommonPosts: 489

I'm waiting to hear the words Free to Play. That should have been announced in this letter. EQ2 is already F2P and Pirates of the Burning Sea is on its way to being F2P. Why not SWG?

When we get back from where we are going, we will return to where we were. I know people there!

• Jaco1101Jaco1101 Member Posts: 37

Originally posted by purewitz

I'm waiting to hear the words Free to Play. That should have been announced in this letter. EQ2 is already F2P and Pirates of the Burning Sea is on its way to being F2P. Why not SWG?

I just want my carbine and my rock beetle.  And yah, I'm agreeing if EQ2 and POTBS is F2P why not SWG?  Why not WoW?  I could use me some F2P WoW? 

Heck, LOTRO is F2P now too.  Why not WoW?

• rwburnhamrwburnham Member Posts: 9

The producer used the word "awesome" too much. Who the hell is he trying to appeal to?

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Toothman
    Thankfully the craptastic exploit fest for whining children that was pre CU will never return.  While some of the current build is less ambitious than I personally would like.  Watching all the leet kiddies whine about losing their exploits and sob because they can't handle a level playing field is amusing even all these years later.  Please continue to cry.  Those of us smart enough to still be able to play are laughing at you.

Hahahaha
  • tanner889tanner889 Member Posts: 2

People are still mad at the pre-cu change? I loved pre-cu too, but get over it.

• HardcodedHardcoded Member UncommonPosts: 97

Thankfully the craptastic exploit fest for whining children that was pre CU will never return.  While some of the current build is less ambitious than I personally would like.  Watching all the leet kiddies whine about losing their exploits and sob because they can't handle a level playing field is amusing even all these years later.  Please continue to cry.  Those of us smart enough to still be able to play are laughing at you.

And some of us left becuase the took our favorite class (smuggler) and destroyed it, I might have stayed even after the nge, if they hadn't took everything that made me love that class and threw it out the window.

• tawwa8879tawwa8879 Member Posts: 26

pre-cu was the best

• PlageronPlageron Member Posts: 109

wow this game is still going....

All i wanted toplay was a bio-engineer...but they took that away...

never did fix their pet problems...nor the mount problems...

They took away the creature handler too...

I did log on once....or twice....with the new system....but i thought it was still pathetic....

Considering that the first level frogs still poison players...and they still cant buy an antidote to fix it...nope only a high level medic or doctor could fix it....

And now i dont really know what they stil have in that game

I got an email telling me my structures had been destroyed by other players....so no real point to even try and play

not that it would matter...they probably still have random mosnters that spawn into your house still.

• KyBoKyBo Member UncommonPosts: 140

Sweet Christ, IT'S BEEN 5 YEARS NOW, GROW UP.

I understand being angry about the CU being removed, but not after 5 years.  There's no defense for Pre-CU, it f*cking sucked, period.  Pre-CU was a buggy, exploit riddled mess, with pathetically little content, unless you liked running around grinding mostly non-canon creatures.  The combat system made no sense whatsoever.  Punching people from 20m away and being able to win 90% of fights simply using DKD was just retarded.

I'll grant without question that NGE SWG leaves a hell of a lot to be desired, but I'll take NGE SWG, even as jacked up as it is now, over Pre-CU.  It was that terrible of a game, no matter how rose-colored the glasses some people look back at Pre-CU through.

If it were really that special, as a Star Wars IP, it would have brought in a lot more 220k subs.

• liberalguyliberalguy Member UncommonPosts: 118

Originally posted by KyBo

If it were really that special, as a Star Wars IP, it would have brought in a lot more 220k subs.

I bet SOE would be ecstatic to have even quarter of that number now.

Of course the original game was flawed but it was still the most fun I've ever had in any mmorpg. Nothing has even come close.

The NGE (even in its current form) is the most horrible gaming experience I've ever had.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

I would also like precu upgrade please.

Originally posted by Foomerang

Hahahaha

lol

• relliscgrelliscg Member UncommonPosts: 30

I tried the game once since pre-cu, and really the only problem I saw with it that pushed me away was the player base.  Going into Mos Eisley, and only seeing 20 people max, well, sucked.  In a way, it kinda defeats the purpose of being called a "Massively Multiplayer" Online game.  Raise the subs and it will be much better.  Just my own opinion tho.

Originally posted by KyBo

Sweet Christ, IT'S BEEN 5 YEARS NOW, GROW UP.

I understand being angry about the CU being removed, but not after 5 years.  There's no defense for Pre-CU, it f*cking sucked, period.  Pre-CU was a buggy, exploit riddled mess, with pathetically little content, unless you liked running around grinding mostly non-canon creatures.  The combat system made no sense whatsoever.  Punching people from 20m away and being able to win 90% of fights simply using DKD was just retarded.

I'll grant without question that NGE SWG leaves a hell of a lot to be desired, but I'll take NGE SWG, even as jacked up as it is now, over Pre-CU.  It was that terrible of a game, no matter how rose-colored the glasses some people look back at Pre-CU through.

Yes it had its bugs but to this day after 1000s of MMOs preCU still was the most diverse and complicated MMO by the means of choises you could make as a player.

Never has so many proffessions been available to skill up in to mix and match YOUR way of living the true Star Wars saga (without zombies)

Have yet to see a MMO as living as when you landed in Cnet and see 1000s of people everywhere doing their trading spam not only for their vendor but for their entire shopping halls with filled vendors, bufflines filled with newcomes to the game randomly interrupted by a bounty hunter capping his mark, people meeting in the cantina getting buffs (remember Jolen in the backroom), people clearing wounds after hours of grinding swapping stories preparing to head out again, 100s of medics training in the med centre (remember those days earning money by taunting/warcry to get healed?) Where guilds/klans where declaring war on eachother EVERYWHERE. The WHOLE world was a battleground! When krayt dragons where a rare and special occasion to find and fight (spending 6 hours a day looking to find one and for me.. I'll do it again in a heartbeat paying for it)

SWG was alive!.... and it didnt f*ing suck ^^

• DarthconnorDarthconnor Member UncommonPosts: 62

Originally posted by Foomerang

Hahahaha

The expliots are still pouring out of that game. Last time i tried it there were ppl with multiply ent buffs that were taking down 12 ppl at a time. Then theres double socketed armor that the DEVs cant or wont fix.There was the server transfers for awhile with double professions.  Theres the  buildings ppl wall expliot in. Yea lots of mature players there now. Give me a break theres either a ton of kiddies running around or alot of dumb adults that show off their elite pvp skills by running around inside buildings so players get the server lagging  message "Cant see target". That game is so dumbed down its not in the same class as precu even with all the bugs it had atleast there was a great community and some thought that went into your character.