Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Rift: Planes of Telara: Meridian, City of Wonders

SBFordSBFord Associate Editor - News ManagerThe Land of AZPosts: 16,581MMORPG.COM Staff Uncommon

Players in Rift: Planes of Telara will choose between two distinct factions: The Guardians and The Defiant. In today's exclusive zone preview, MMORPG.com shows off the home city of The Defiant: Meridian called The City of Wonder by its denizens. We've got screens, lore and a brief fly over video of the City of Wonder. Check it out!

From those stairs you can see majestic Meridian herself. Telara has not seen such deceptively sturdy walls of polished sandstone since the ancient Eth city-states. The sweeping towers crowned with twirling machines, the arabesques adorning the walls… it almost transports you back to the ancient Eth Empire! Listen, and you’ll hear the chanting of the Sorcerer Kings.

Read more about the home of The Defiant: Meridian, City of Wonder.

Associate Editor: MMORPG.com
Follow me on Twitter: @MMORPGMom

Comments

• causscauss sonnegaPosts: 668Member

Me likey.

• bbates024bbates024 Phoenix, AZPosts: 80Member Uncommon

AWESOME!

• Tjar82Tjar82 aachenPosts: 8Member

wonderfull....

• Loke666Loke666 MalmöPosts: 17,949Member Uncommon

Sounds good.

Some of the things in this game sounds really great, I just wish they used a more interesting combat system, from what I read it is more or less the same as in any other MMO.

But if they just can released the game in good shape it should get quite a lot of subs even if it goes up against Bioware and Arenanet.. :)

I am really looking forward to next year.

• blueturtle13blueturtle13 chapel hill, NCPosts: 1,781Member Uncommon

Very cool. I have been listening to the Rift podcasts and this game is just sounding better and better. Scott Hartsman is gonna make goodon this one it seems.

• manowar88manowar88 kungsbackaPosts: 82Member Uncommon

Ohhhh nice!!!.think this going to be the mmo makets next big thing!!!

x1muft.png

Yeah I know this is the one that I am looking forward to the most.

• ChackzChackz albuquerque, NMPosts: 76Member

nice think this games gonna be good but i still want tera

• OzmodanOzmodan Hilliard, OHPosts: 7,181Member Uncommon

What is with this TERA interest?  Looking at what we have seen and heard about Rift, it seems worlds better than TERA.  TERA is shaping up as another Korean grinder while Rift seems to offer new a host of new play opportunities.   When will players realize that skimpy female outfits do not a good MMO make.  

I am looking forward to more information on Rift

• QuesaQuesa Sacramento, CAPosts: 1,246Member

Originally posted by Ozmodan

What is with this TERA interest?  Looking at what we have seen and heard about Rift, it seems worlds better than TERA.  TERA is shaping up as another Korean grinder while Rift seems to offer new a host of new play opportunities.   When will players realize that skimpy female outfits do not a good MMO make.  

Tera has quite a different combat system - new?  Not really, just using a different one.  RIFT and Tera aren't really going to be comparable, imo.  They both will have their pros and cons AND their own zealot-like followings.

Agreed. Rift is looking really really solid. Good interview today of user submitted questions on tentonhammer. Glad Scott Hartsman is the creative director. I always thought he shot from the hip.

• NadiliNadili Grand Forks, BCPosts: 197Member

Originally posted by blueturtle13

Agreed. Rift is looking really really solid. Good interview today of user submitted questions on tentonhammer. Glad Scott Hartsman is the creative director. I always thought he shot from the hip.

This is why most of us zealots lol are watching Rift simply Scott Hartsman alot of us are familiar with him and how he works.

Loved the Defiant city looking forward to a Sanctum fly through.

• EmhsterEmhster MontrPosts: 916Member

Originally posted by Loke666

Some of the things in this game sounds really great, I just wish they used a more interesting combat system, from what I read it is more or less the same as in any other MMO.

But if they just can released the game in good shape it should get quite a lot of subs even if it goes up against Bioware and Arenanet.. :)

I agree with both statements. Looks like this game is going to be more about how you're planning the next fight(s) by adapting your spec while the actual combat remains 'classic'.

Releasing a game in a good shape would already promise a strong start.

Oh and this thread is about Rift; There isn't anything said about Tera in here...

• gothagotha weymouth, MAPosts: 1,040Member

Not really impressive by MMO city standards.  But decent enough.

• ScotScot UKPosts: 5,754Member Uncommon

Yet another single article that has as much lore as I have seen Aion or FFIV muster for their whole game.

• bcrankshawbcrankshaw JohannesburgPosts: 547Member

Originally posted by Scot

Yet another single article that has as much lore as I have seen Aion or FFIV muster for their whole game.

QFT

Its amazing actually how the developers of Rift have realised how important Lore is to many people and  are regularly updating the community

For me this is a really good move and only endears me more to the MMO

"after the time of dice came the day of mice "

• WaizerWaizer BarryPosts: 125Member

Originally posted by Scot

Well said. Has been a shame to see a fair few mmo's released in the last few years that have as much lore as could be write onto the back of a cigarette packet.

Thank god this game realises the importance of lore. Its all well and good being told to go out and fight race x but having a reason for it, like a previous history of mistrust and treachery, makes each kill feel like you're in some way part of a bigger picture rather than just killing 10 of race x for quest y.