Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TF2 adds Micro Transactions

PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

Yep. No more simple balance for TF2, you can now buy items that increase your stats for real money. Sounds like most people don't really mind it. I am kind of let down though. TF2 has always been a shining example of balanced Class-based combat. The new items tip the scales. And I can't help but feel that they should have been added to the game for free. Alas, I can't blame the company for following such a lucrative trend, even if it does completely destroy their integrity in my opinion. I guess money really is everything to some people.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

Comments

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

Originally posted by Palebane

Yep. No more simple balance for TF2, you can now buy items that increase your stats for real money. Sounds like most people don't really mind it. I am kind of let down though. TF2 has always been a shining example of balanced Class-based combat. The new items tip the scales. And I can't help but feel that they should have been added to the game for free. Alas, I can't blame the company for following such a lucrative trend, even if it does completely destroy their integrity in my opinion. I guess money really is everything to some people.

Most people dont care because those items are or:

A) Obtainable through game

B) The bonuses just plainly sucks (like the sniper cant do headshots and the spy becomes even more obvious)

But yes, depending on how they implement in the future it might destroy such masterwork game

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

Some of the items are only otherwise obtainable through the more difficult acheivements from what I've heard. That would be kind of harsh IMHO.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• chaintmchaintm Member UncommonPosts: 953

Eh, all it will do is kill the population, so people will just go to a game without it. Nice thing about the computer entertainment industry, there are a ton of developers out there and many will fight to get into a nitch like fps. Look at relic doing so with warhammer. In the end, when one company does something like this, another will do the oppisit and emphise such so they get a player base that will back their game for expansions or new releases. What comes around goes around.

"The monster created isn't by the company that makes the game, it's by the fans that make it something it never was"

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

I agree with you. Good post.

• anielianieli Member Posts: 114

Originally posted by chaintm

Eh, all it will do is kill the population, so people will just go to a game without it. Nice thing about the computer entertainment industry, there are a ton of developers out there and many will fight to get into a nitch like fps. Look at relic doing so with warhammer. In the end, when one company does something like this, another will do the oppisit and emphise such so they get a player base that will back their game for expansions or new releases. What comes around goes around.

You can't compare it shooters in general. I can't find a substitute for TF2 - a good solid class based shooter.

• TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547

Originally posted by anieli

a good solid class based shooter.

BC2 is exactly what you described and is a much better game than TF2.... but it's not what you're looking for and I know why. 

I'm just going to keep my opinions of TF2 & micro-transactions, out of this thread because I will probably get reported for "trolling" or something like that. 

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671

Originally posted by anieli

Originally posted by chaintm

You can't compare it shooters in general. I can't find a substitute for TF2 - a good solid class based shooter.

While I don't know that I would consider it a substitute for TF2 I've been loving Monday Night Combat care of Xbox Live Arcade.  Limited content atm, but 3 DLC's on the way, and the first of these is free.

Steam: Neph

• JellypigJellypig Member Posts: 126

I just bought TF2 a few days ago and have checked out the items they have for sale.  Like someone else said, you can get these items by playing the game and most of them don't have a huge advantage granted to them and some seem to just really suck, like the gloves for the Heavy.  I've only got 6 hours accumulated and have earned a ton of items already.