Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

APB has shut down

Comments

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

Pff thats just Great. I really hate MMOs sometimes. I know a year from now I'll get this hard craving to play APB again but there is no chance for that... I think they were really on to something with APB but theres no way to find out now.

• spookytoothspookytooth Member Posts: 508

Originally posted by Miles-Prower

Originally posted by spookytooth

no worries, tommorow they will anounce that the game is alive and they have another patch incoming.

Some how I doubt that.. Heh.

~Miles "Tails" Prower out! Catch me if you can!

but then the day after that they will follow up with an anouncment of bankrupty. So....

lets face it, they are the masters of yo-yo anouncments

• DaakkonDaakkon Member UncommonPosts: 607

no worries, tommorow they will anounce that the game is alive and they have another patch incoming.

but then the day after that they will follow up with an anouncment of bankrupty. So....

Now they will make us pay to visit their official website by the minute just to stay afloat.

• Miles-ProwerMiles-Prower Member Posts: 1,106

Originally posted by OoMpAlOmPaZ

Now they will make us pay to visit their official website by the minute just to stay afloat.

As if APB's website wasn't annoying enough to log-in to.. Have to do your B-day every time you log in >.<

imageimageimage
    Come Join us at www.globalequestria.com - Meet other fans of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!
  • imouthosimouthos Member Posts: 25

Originally posted by Aramanu2

nothing to say really, we all saw it comming.

"Realtimed"

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Have they shut their forms down? Was going to have a laugh at the threads there but it just shows the shutdown message rom the front page.

• BeachcomberBeachcomber Member Posts: 535

Shame. I feel sorry for the local people who lost their jobs.

• Miles-ProwerMiles-Prower Member Posts: 1,106

Originally posted by imouthos

"Realtimed"

Trying to con a new phrase for when a MMORPG fails?

Realletdown

Realfail

Reallame

reallol

realstupid

realowned

imageimageimage
    Come Join us at www.globalequestria.com - Meet other fans of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!
  • merv808merv808 Member UncommonPosts: 511

wow, how sad....

whats it been 2, maybe 3 months... If i had payed $50 for the game i'd be PISSED.

I'm sorry for those that did. Sounds like they should have planned the whole thing better. I tried the game in Beta, and for me the excitement pretty much died after character creation. Maybe they can take that and build on it.

So much potential, so little delivered.

• NyQuil81NyQuil81 Member Posts: 101

I'm really surprised that they went straight to closing the servers instead of trying another subscription method.  If you recall, Global Agenda was in a very similar boat, fading into obscurity, then they went F2P and had a revival of sorts.  Since they were both Shooters playing in an MMO world, one would guess that a similar marketing strategy could help to save APB.  Maybe they just dont even want to try, or there is something else involved.

• spookytoothspookytooth Member Posts: 508

Originally posted by imouthos

"Realtimed"

Trying to con a new phrase for when a MMORPG fails?

Realletdown

Realfail

Reallame

reallol

realstupid

realowned

yall just got realtimed bitches!

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by NyQuil81

I'm really surprised that they went straight to closing the servers instead of trying another subscription method.  If you recall, Global Agenda was in a very similar boat, fading into obscurity, then they went F2P and had a revival of sorts.  Since they were both Shooters playing in an MMO world, one would guess that a similar marketing strategy could help to save APB.  Maybe they just dont even want to try, or there is something else involved.

It's probably more a case that they recognize that the core concept just doesn't work, so moving to a different payment model would have little long-term impact.  I'm glad to see it die so spectacularly, not because so many people with a stake in it lose out (including myself who bought it upon release), but as brightly painted sign warning others of what *not* to do.  I still hold out hope of seeing that character creator resurrected elsewhere.  Hell, just release it standalone as "Barbie's Gangster Dress-up" and I'd pay a few bucks for it. 

• SuperjudgeSuperjudge Member Posts: 10

APB was an acquired taste.  You either loved it or hated it.  For me it was enough to tool around town in one of my car creations with my friends hanging out the windows shooting at our opposition.  I looked at is more in the light of a twitch shooter in the vein of UT2K4 (minus the headshots) rather than as an MMO.  I only paid for the box, played my 50 hours and was able to sell enough artwork and death theme music to pay for another month.

RTW made a lot of mistakes that made the game way to exploitable if you wanted to pay enough money.  These were things they could have corrected I suppose but it was foolish of them not to do so to begin with.

Frustrating as it was to play at times (I dropped my share of F-bombs while playing it), there was something great about strategizing with your clan mates on how to attack a point or how to best take down the hacker terrorizing your team or how you were going to best the Enforcer griefing you with the LtL guns.  It could have been much better but for what it was, I found a lot of pleasure playing it and it will be missed.

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071

Originally posted by NyQuil81

But GA never charged anything past the initial box purchase so regardless of what their plans were it never really went F2P but B2P like Guildwars.I went their site the other day was kind of interested in seeing if maybe the price dropped or they went to a better pricing model but saw that they were still sticking to their guns with the 50 dollar box price & only 50 hours of actual action time thing and lost interest just as fast as when it released. 

• scythe99scythe99 Member Posts: 326

I saw this coming before the game was out of beta.

"An MMORPG could be completely diffirent from WoW. Just look at games like Dofus, Wizard101 or EVE. But as it is, most of the Western MMOs are trying to succeed by out-WoWing WoW. It's like an army of 10 sports games made about same sports, and barely none about other sports. WoW clone is an accurate description of those games, it manages to convey much information with only two words."
    -Poster on mmorpg.com

Rift: World of Warcraft clone #9321 Nothing special to see here move along.

• MahloMahlo Member UncommonPosts: 814

Originally posted by scythe99

I bought it on release, stupidly, and I saw this coming from the off. I said so here. To close down so quickly is quite incredible though. Things must really be bad.

• slauterhauseslauterhause Member UncommonPosts: 14

Originally posted by Mahlo

Originally posted by scythe99

I bought it on release, stupidly, and I saw this coming from the off. I said so here. To close down so quickly is quite incredible though. Things must really be bad.

I made the same mistake, purchasing it at release.  I figured the game was going to be in trouble after playing it for a few hours.  Yes, very surprising it died this quick though.  Message to Devs - of course you can say you didn't have 'time' to shape it into the game you wanted, but then the simple question is why was it released in an uncompleted state then?  Is that a factor of the publisher pressuring you to release?  If that's the case, then publishers should be aware of the repercussions of releasing an unfinished game.

Overall though, I'll agree with nearly everyone here.  This was not surprising.

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

Glad I dodged this one, though I was very interested in the character creation and the content creation.

Having it close so fast it almost seems like there could be a case against the company for fraud.  For those who bought it and didn't it run off buying more time?  I hope they intend to refund money to anyone who will have time left when they pull the plug.

• OzivoisOzivois Member UncommonPosts: 598

Epic Fail

It is sad when you look at the site and see where the employees had just rolled out another patch yesterday for the game.  They must have had quite a morning when they were all let go today.

• tdog21tdog21 Member Posts: 6

Originally posted by slauterhause

I made the same mistake, purchasing it at release.  I figured the game was going to be in trouble after playing it for a few hours.  Yes, very surprising it died this quick though.  Message to Devs - of course you can say you didn't have 'time' to shape it into the game you wanted, but then the simple question is why was it released in an uncompleted state then?  Is that a factor of the publisher pressuring you to release?  If that's the case, then publishers should be aware of the repercussions of releasing an unfinished game.

Overall though, I'll agree with nearly everyone here.  This was not surprising.

EA is notorious for releasing games unfinished. Look at the last 2 NFS games. They had many problems on release and probably still have issues (duno cuz I don't buy many ea games anymore cuz of said stupidity)

• TzetothTzetoth Member Posts: 67

Awesome, I didn't even get to use all of my playtime.

Talk about a smash and grab.

Originally posted by Tzetoth

Like I said, I sure smell a lawsuit somewhere in this mess.  Especially if they do not refund people who effectively got screwed by their mismanagement and misinformation.

• BeachcomberBeachcomber Member Posts: 535

Originally posted by ZoeMcCloskey

Like I said, I sure smell a lawsuit somewhere in this mess.  Especially if they do not refund people who effectively got screwed by their mismanagement and misinformation.

Your going to sue a company that is in administration? lol  They may tell you to join the queue of creditors...

• Luthor_XLuthor_X Member Posts: 431

Oh well, the weak must fall to give place to the strong.

Originally posted by Beachcomber

Originally posted by ZoeMcCloskey

Your going to sue a company that is in administration? lol  They may tell you to join the queue of creditors...

hehe, not me, I didn't get APB luckily.  I have no horse in this race, but I do find how they seem to be handling this situation entirely distasteful and lacking in honor.