Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Makign the UI work for you: A Macro Guide

xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310

Preface

The only problem I have with the game's controls is navigating the "Home" page and possibly crafting. In order to stream-line the game as much as possible, just like FFXI, you'll have to use the game's built in macro function. Here will be a detailed guide (once I figure out all the commands) to setting up macros to navigate the game better. 

I would also like to say that people who complain about the UI being unintuitive are simply wrong. Unintuitive UI has evolved from not having how to do anything, to complaining about any UI that deviates from the norm set by WoW and copied by every other WoW clone to date: WAR, AoC, Aion, etc. Just because something is different doesn't make itunintuitive . If the UI was unintuitive would take a person of avg intelligence longer than 10 mins to get the basic feel for the game. This is simply not the case with FFXIV. For instance, people have complained about not being able to switch jobs with 1 button. This would make sense if jobs were gear based. Since jobs are gear based, to properly switch from 1 job to another you'd need to also equip an entire different set of gear, not just weapons.

Also, you do not have to use macro to do anything in game. You can play the game completely from  the default menu easily, although it would take a little more time. 

Note All controls are default

Step 1: Familiarizing Yourself with the commands

A list of most command shortcuts can be found here.

Step 2: Navigating to the macro page

First thing you need to do is get to the macro setting page. To get there press the "Home" Key to bring up your root menu, then select configuration, then select macros.

Step 3: Writing your first macro

The first macro we are going to write is the ability to access the loot menu without having to navigate the root menu. To do this we first click on one of the empty boxes in the macro control panel and give it the name Loot. Clicking on the first boxes in the list will assign the macro to the fist action bar of the Ctrl or Alt (which ever you have selected) + 1. From this we are able to see that column are assigned 1-0 and rows correspond to bars 1-5

Now that you know the layout, lets actually write the macro. Select the Ctrl tab and the first box in the list. Next name your macro loot and select and icon for it (I used the green !). Then, click directly blow the name. This should bring up the first line in your macro. Type in /loot. If you followed the instructions exactly your macro table should look like

Test the macro by pressing Ctrl + 1 and it should bring up your loot menu. 

Job Switching: TBD but a brief run done can be found here

Hopefully this brief guide helps make playing FFXIV easier and more streamlined. Once I get further into the game I'll include a list of macros that I use. For instance, in FFXI I played a Red Mage and used macros for everything from using healing spells on all raid allies to setting up combos. I assume that certain skills in FFXIV will require macros similar in order to be the "best" healer or tank. 

Games:
Currently playing:Nothing
Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
Past games:
Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
Xpiher's GW2
GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
Warhammer - Xpiher

Comments

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310

One of the functionalities I wish they carried over from FFXI is the ability to target party members using the <p1-14> commands. This would make casting spells on allies much easier. Instead, we have to rely on clicking and target nearest ally.

Games:
    Past games:
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• geldonyetichgeldonyetich Member Posts: 1,340

Yes, macros make certain aspects of the game much more bearable.

For example, note this thread which tells you how to set up job switches on macros.  Makes life MUCH easier when I, for example, see a mineral vein I want to take a dig out of so I switch to Miner mode and then back to Archer when I'm done with two macros.

I just wish there was a macro for calling another macro.  (Of course, with the protections in place to prevent endless loops.) I need more than the 9 or 10 lines they provide sometimes. ;)

Originally posted by geldonyetich

For example, note this thread which tells you how to set up job switches on macros.  Makes life MUCH easier when I, for example, see a mineral vein I want to take a dig out of so I switch to Miner mode and then back to Archer when I'm done with two macros.

I just wish there was a macro for calling another macro.  (Of course, with the protections in place to prevent endless loops.) I need more than the 9 or 10 lines they provide sometimes. ;)

Thanks for the link, I'll be sure to include some of that information in this thread (mainly the clearing as job switching is already mentioned)

Games:
    Past games:
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Warhammer - Xpiher

seriously the 4th page already?

Games:
    Past games:
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• terroniterroni Member Posts: 935

Shanks for zee info

Drop the next-gen marketing and people will argue if the game itself has merit.

• PhifePhife Member Posts: 229

Originally posted by xpiher

I would also like to say that people who complain about the UI being unintuitive are simply wrong. Unintuitive UI has evolved from not having how to do anything, to complaining about any UI that deviates from the norm set by WoW and copied by every other WoW clone to date: WAR, AoC, Aion, etc. Just because something is different doesn't make itunintuitive . If the UI was unintuitive would take a person of avg intelligence longer than 10 mins to get the basic feel for the game. This is simply not the case with FFXIV. For instance, people have complained about not being able to switch jobs with 1 button. This would make sense if jobs were gear based. Since jobs are gear based, to properly switch from 1 job to another you'd need to also equip an entire different set of gear, not just weapons.

If you want to help folks master the macro system then I am all for that.  I applaud your efforts and I support your continued investigation into the workings of said system.

But why dog on the player base?  A large number of people, most of which come from another little game from S.E. known as FFXI, find this game's UI to be two steps backwards, not a step forward.

Lose the cynicism and stick to helpful information.  The rest of your post was solid.  Too bad you felt the need to pepper it with insults. :(

• TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

i was kinda hoping that FFXIV wouldnt be as macro reliant as FFXI .. i really hated having to make and maintain all those macros especially playing a healer.

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

Originally posted by TribeofOne

i was kinda hoping that FFXIV wouldnt be as macro reliant as FFXI .. i really hated having to make and maintain all those macros especially playing a healer.

Yeah you are gonna want a macro for every job. Switching between jobs without them is fairly painful. Especially when you want to harvest on the fly or do multiple crafts in the same session.

• OBK1OBK1 Member Posts: 637

Someone please sticky this?

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

Originally posted by OBK1

There is already a post on the subject stickied.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/446/view/forums/thread/290098/The-More-You-Know-1-Switching-Jobs-on-the-Fly.html

• TaishiFoxTaishiFox Member RarePosts: 999

Awesome, thanks, this will make targetting mobs alot easier.

imageimage

Originally posted by Atlan99

Originally posted by OBK1

There is already a post on the subject stickied.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/446/view/forums/thread/290098/The-More-You-Know-1-Switching-Jobs-on-the-Fly.html

-1 for me :-)

Thanks for pointing me to it.

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

Requiring macros to make the GUI useable or to make one of the games main features useable (switch classes instantly!) is pure, unrefined clownshoes.

Its almost 2011. Would it be so hard to remember what I had equipped in my abilities, traits, gear and action bar?

Apparently so.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

Originally posted by geldonyetich

Or, the devlopers could design a better game system. You should know better.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

Originally posted by Mrbloodworth

Requiring macros to make the GUI useable or to make one of the games main features useable (switch classes instantly!) is pure, unrefined clownshoes.

Its almost 2011. Would it be so hard to remember what I had equipped in my abilities, traits, gear and action bar?

Apparently so.

I agree 100% with this, but IF I decide to play this game, the thread explaining how to write the macros is still very helpful. But a UI like this is just lazy lazy development and WILL result in less sales and customers for them. And no matter what some say that is hardly what SE has in mind.

Apparently so.

Have you played the game? There really isn't a simpler way to do the system. When you switch classes you are going to want to switch all gear and most skills. The built in macro function allows you to customize which skills you put on your hot bar, what gear you change, and where everything goes with the click of a button. If the game just "assumed" what you wanted to do then you might not get the skill/gear combination you want to play the class subtype that you want. 

Also, you can't switch classes mid fight. The only people who will be switching classes often are people who solo fight and harvest at the same time. People who group up will likely not need to switch classes at all. 

As to the other "macro guide", I read it after I typed this out but I honestly think, once this is completely flushed out, this one is explained in a better manner. 

Games:
    Past games:
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230

Is there a way to target npc's by name?  Something like 

/target "Wilsyng"

so I can run around town spamming it to find the npc for the lev?  Sometimes its very difficult to find them especially when they dont always draw right away.

Originally posted by xpiher

Apparently so.

Have you played the game? There really isn't a simpler way to do the system. When you switch classes you are going to want to switch all gear and most skills. The built in macro function allows you to customize which skills you put on your hot bar, what gear you change, and where everything goes with the click of a button. If the game just "assumed" what you wanted to do then you might not get the skill/gear combination you want to play the class subtype that you want. 

Also, you can't switch classes mid fight. The only people who will be switching classes often are people who solo fight and harvest at the same time. People who group up will likely not need to switch classes at all. 

As to the other "macro guide", I read it after I typed this out but I honestly think, once this is completely flushed out, this one is explained in a better manner. 

Please stop posting. Not a simple way?

REMBER WHAT I HAD SLOTED WHEN I CHANGE CLASS.

Done.

----------

How are you?" -Me