Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

I don't understand why some trees in a person's front yard is so bad

GruntyGrunty TexasPosts: 7,063Member Uncommon

Could someone, preferably from Britain, explain to me why the man in this BBC report is being vilified by his neighbors because he has some trees in his front yard? Yes there are to many for the space they are in. It does sound like it's a trash tree but he's the one that will have to deal with that.

I'd be complaining that no one else on the street has even a single tree.  Is it so important to conform to society's rule that some individuality, and preference for privacy, is such a negative thing?

It does sound like the government is taking a "hands off" approach to it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11211960

Comments

  • ZindaihasZindaihas Seattle, WAPosts: 5,164Member

    Do you sometimes miss the days when two opposing sides went to war to settle their disputes?


  • Originally posted by Zindaihas

    Do you sometimes miss the days when two opposing sides went to war to settle their disputes?

     They should go to war over it. Those in favor of the stately branches and divine right of men to grow trees shall be known as the Cavaliers and wear long hair and bright clothing as their badge, to emulate their chosen tree faction. Those who favor the trimming of the trees to nice reserved short round shapes shall be known as the Roundheads and wear simple colors and closely trimmed hair as their badge, to emulate their horticultural preference.

    Now I may be an American, but I'm pretty sure no conflict of this type has ever rocked the foundation of your fair island.

  • CleffyCleffy San Diego, CAPosts: 4,625Member Uncommon

    Clearly the stone wall he built around his property would have thuroughly dealt with the tree.  I don't think his neighbors are using some good ol' common sense.  Its obvious he doesn't want to deal with his neighbors, I can see why.

  • devilisciousdeviliscious dallas, TXPosts: 6,906Member

    Yea, they should have left the stone wall.. LOL! image

     Would I want to live next to this guy? No, not really.. I mean I like trees and all, but that is a bit ridiculous..Did you see how his car was parked? LOL

    Well, I see the biggest problem with this is how close the houses are.. I mean if he had enough space to plant a giant tree, but geeze that thing could do some damage to the houses there in a bad storm.. but I live in Texas, I would never dream of planting something that monsterous near my home due to the high winds we get here.. That could end up through my roof! I have already had flying trees hit my car while driving through a storm.. I wouldn;t want that thing coming anywhere near me. image

    The houses being on top of one another like that so compact.. I can imagine would be difficult to the surrounding neighbors if they had that thing coming over into their yards and such. Not to mention if they were ever trying to sell their house, that thing might scare off potential buyers. Looks like he really needs a bigger yard if he wants giant trees. image

     Also: there were trees in neighbors yards.. they were just " regular sized trees" LOL

  • baffbaff swaveseyPosts: 9,457Member

    Originally posted by grunty

    Could someone, preferably from Britain, explain to me why the man in this BBC report is being vilified by his neighbors because he has some trees in his front yard? Yes there are to many for the space they are in. It does sound like it's a trash tree but he's the one that will have to deal with that.

    I'd be complaining that no one else on the street has even a single tree.  Is it so important to conform to society's rule that some individuality, and preference for privacy, is such a negative thing?

    It does sound like the government is taking a "hands off" approach to it.

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11211960

     It's about being able to see daylight from your windows.

    If your neighbours tree blocks out your sunlight or your view it affects you.

     

    In order to build high walls or grow high tree's you need planning permission so that your neighbours can have a say in what you do.

    If you live in a semi detached or terraced house, what your neighbour does to his house affects you in your house and also the resale value of your house.

     

    A house that receives no sunlight for example, or has no view, is worth thousands of pounds less than a house that does. So buy growing that tree as he has done or building a high wall, he has not only adversely affected the quality of their lives but also significanlty financally damaged them.

     

    These kinds of disputes ae very common here.That particular type of tree is very fast growing and causes most of them. It is not uncommon for neighbours to be murdered over these sorts of thing.

    http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CBUQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.independent.co.uk%2Fnews%2Fuk%2Fcrime%2Ffocus-hedge-wars-501819.html&ei=sr-HTNOAIYaR4AaRyPjSBA&usg=AFQjCNGn1NTFUoJ4SYpVVVcJlgoeTKkVmg

    http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CB0QFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailymail.co.uk%2Fnews%2Farticle-1310011%2FHedge-wars---evergreen-battles-make-good-neighbours-turn-nasty.html&ei=sr-HTNOAIYaR4AaRyPjSBA&usg=AFQjCNFdocVyKxjCboRecztR-EIu3pfbcQ

  • SgtFrogSgtFrog LondonPosts: 5,001Member

    Brits love to complain..especially old folks who have nothing better to do.

    image
    March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

  • devilisciousdeviliscious dallas, TXPosts: 6,906Member

    When you have tornados here as much as we do, no one in their right mind would plant anything that big close to anyones house..

    * comes out shelter*  YAY! Another one missed me! image

    Tropical Storm Hermine - Dallas Tornado 9-8-10

    Tornado in dallas

    Tornadoes in SE Dallas County on September 8, 2010

    Dallas tornado damage

  • GTwanderGTwander San Diego, CAPosts: 6,035Member

    It's obvious to me that the neighbors bringing it to light are simply nosy. They are probably the kinds of people that peer out of their windows, but from behind the curtains, everytime someone so much as farts off their property. I feel bad for the dude, because it seems to me he is just a guy that wants some privacy, and by making is such a spectacle that even the news is getting involved, it's making it far worse for him. Look at the way he covered his face on that vid from 8 years ago, when he built the wall, you can tell how embarrased he is about it.

    I can see his neighbors clamoring to themselves about how "his business is our business". I think the UK needs a good ol' fashioned war to remind them that this is as trite as it gets. People get too complacent and end up satisfying their need to crucify something (or someone) by any means necessary. If it wasn't this guy, it would be "those damn skateboarding kids" or "the lady who lets her dog poop on my lawn".

    Writer / Musician / Game Designer

    Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

  • devilisciousdeviliscious dallas, TXPosts: 6,906Member

    Originally posted by GTwander

    It's obvious to me that the neighbors bringing it to light are simply nosy. They are probably the kinds of people that peer out of their windows, but from behind the curtains, everytime someone so much as farts off their property. I feel bad for the dude, because it seems to me he is just a guy that wants some privacy, and by making is such a spectacle that even the news is getting involved, it's making it far worse for him. Look at the way he covered his face on that vid from 8 years ago, when he built the wall, you can tell how embarrased he is about it.

    I can see his neighbors clamoring to themselves about how "his business is our business". I think the UK needs a good ol' fashioned war to remind them that this is as trite as it gets. People get too complacent and end up satisfying their need to crucify something (or someone) by any means necessary. If it wasn't this guy, it would be "those damn skateboarding kids" or "the lady who lets her dog poop on my lawn".

     I had thought about that at first, and they very well may be nosy neighbors, but did you see the size of that tree? It is touching the neighbors house.. LOLimage

    High winds and that could crush someones house...

  • devilisciousdeviliscious dallas, TXPosts: 6,906Member

    Just a few reasons you shouldn;t plant things that big near ANYONES home..image

  • GTwanderGTwander San Diego, CAPosts: 6,035Member

    You keep putting your experiences in tornado alley in the place of that of which happens in England. They get storms, but nothing like we get here in the states. Their #1 fear is 3+ months of overcast.

    Writer / Musician / Game Designer

    Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

  • devilisciousdeviliscious dallas, TXPosts: 6,906Member

    Originally posted by GTwander

    You keep putting your experiences in tornado alley in the place of that of which happens in England. They get storms, but nothing like we get here in the states. Their #1 fear is 3+ months of overcast.

     LOL those pictures are not even from tornado alley.. Silly. image

     A storm can do that , you do not need a tornado to make a big tree fall down. That is what I was referring to..

     how's this?

    Europe Lashed By Severe Storms

  • GTwanderGTwander San Diego, CAPosts: 6,035Member

    English trees are invincible, like Paddington Bear, that is all.

    Writer / Musician / Game Designer

    Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

  • devilisciousdeviliscious dallas, TXPosts: 6,906Member

    Originally posted by GTwander

    English trees are invincible, like Paddington Bear, that is all.

     Europe Lashed By Severe Storms

    No they're not. image

  • GTwanderGTwander San Diego, CAPosts: 6,035Member

    Originally posted by deviliscious

    Originally posted by GTwander

    English trees are invincible, like Paddington Bear, that is all.

     Europe Lashed By Severe Storms

    No they're not. image

    Somebody cut that one down with a wet herring prior.

    Writer / Musician / Game Designer

    Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

  • SgtFrogSgtFrog LondonPosts: 5,001Member

    Originally posted by deviliscious

    Just a few reasons you shouldn;t plant things that big near ANYONES home..image


    His tree is all bush with a small disappointing centre .

    image
    March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

  • devilisciousdeviliscious dallas, TXPosts: 6,906Member

    Originally posted by GTwander

    Originally posted by deviliscious

    Originally posted by GTwander

    English trees are invincible, like Paddington Bear, that is all.

     Europe Lashed By Severe Storms

    No they're not. image

    Somebody cut that one down with a wet herring prior.

     wait .. It all makes sense now. He hates his neighbors. His neighbor says she stands under the tree in the rain. He is planning on the tree crushing his neighbors!

  • GTwanderGTwander San Diego, CAPosts: 6,035Member

    No, he's planning on the tree blocking the view of his pot farm.

    Writer / Musician / Game Designer

    Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

  • IlliusIllius Toronto, ONPosts: 4,148Member

    Originally posted by SgtFrog




    His tree is all bush with a small disappointing centre .

    Are you saying the man is not well endowed? 

    No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

  • HYPERI0NHYPERI0N BirminghamPosts: 3,515Member

    Havent really followed this story but my first thoughts were it is a mixture of old folk NIMBYism [largely this] and the fact it is a bit too big for that street.

     

    I love big old beutifull trees but there is a need for common sence in some areas.

    Another great example of Moore's Law. Give people access to that much space (developers and users alike) and they'll find uses for it that you can never imagine. "640K ought to be enough for anybody" - Bill Gates 1981

  • TinyLarvaTinyLarva Binghampton, NYPosts: 5Member

    haha thats awesome. More power to that guy. It looks like he keeps it trimmed to where he can reach. Is seeing a little green really all that bad?

Sign In or Register to comment.