Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Red 5 Studios Finally Reveals Its MMO

Comments

• dlunasdlunas Member UncommonPosts: 206

Looks really fun.

• DSBHRDSBHR Member UncommonPosts: 75

Tribes was the best.

On the other hand the micro transaction model in a shooter has me worried.

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Originally posted by Asheram

Originally posted by eyeswideopen

Originally posted by Toothman

Originally posted by corpusc

And I highly doubt there will be anything close to resembling "rpg" for them to tack on to the end of their "mmo", but it will be listed here just like every other non-mmorpg on this site.

god.   i sure hope it has no RPG elements.

please god, let it have no RPG nonsense hampering and crapping up the gameplay. 

So you really are an intergalactic commando, ninja, jedi, orc who runs around the universe with a million pounds of ammo killing every thing in sight for no reason what so ever?  No?  Oh, you are just playing that in a game.  You are assuming the role of that character.  You are Role Playing.  Thats what I thought. You may continue.

And when you learn what an "rpg" game really is, you let me know. I can always tell the people who are not rpg fans, as they are the first to try to use the "any game you play is an rpg 'cause you control a character" argument. They're the same idiots that label Grand Theft Auto IV as an rpg.

So let me take a guess here when you play a game that you consider to be an"rpg" lets say POTBS hypothetically speaking,do you dress up as a pirate and make a model pirate ship out of a cardboard box and put your computer chair in the center of it and break out your handy pirate thesaurus/dictionary to make sure you get the slang right as you play?image

So let me take a guess here, you sit alone in your basement sucking down Cheetos and Mountain Dew while typing"WTFBBQPWNED N00B!" when you manage to headshot a newbie in Counterstike before getting out the vaseline and the tissue paper to play with your girlfriend Rosie Palm? Amirite?

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071

And I highly doubt there will be anything close to resembling "rpg" for them to tack on to the end of their "mmo", but it will be listed here just like every other non-mmorpg on this site.

So you really are an intergalactic commando, ninja, jedi, orc who runs around the universe with a million pounds of ammo killing every thing in sight for no reason what so ever?  No?  Oh, you are just playing that in a game.  You are assuming the role of that character.  You are Role Playing.  Thats what I thought. You may continue.

And when you learn what an "rpg" game really is, you let me know. I can always tell the people who are not rpg fans, as they are the first to try to use the "any game you play is an rpg 'cause you control a character" argument. They're the same idiots that label Grand Theft Auto IV as an rpg.

So let me take a guess here when you play a game that you consider to be an"rpg" lets say POTBS hypothetically speaking,do you dress up as a pirate and make a model pirate ship out of a cardboard box and put your computer chair in the center of it and break out your handy pirate thesaurus/dictionary to make sure you get the slang right as you play?image

So let me take a guess here, you sit alone in your basement sucking down Cheetos and Mountain Dew while typing"WTFBBQPWNED N00B!" when you manage to headshot a newbie in Counterstike before getting out the vaseline and the tissue paper to play with your girlfriend Rosie Palm? Amirite?

Well played hehe, Touche' dear sir Touche' image

• WaizerWaizer Member Posts: 125

looks okay, perhaps even fun... but game will fail

• -aLpHa--aLpHa- Member UncommonPosts: 852

I just make a quote from the official forums Q&A

Is Firefall an MMO?

No. Firefall is first and foremost an action shooter. We incorporated a lot of elements that you might find in various genres, including MMOs, but it is not an MMO in the traditional sense.

;P

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

I Shall be playing this game.

This is not a game.

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

To be honest when you think that the studio almost went bankrupt I'm not surprised they are making such a eastern-gamer favouring style of gameplay, this title could well be a perfect start for them in the eastern markets even if it totally bombs in the west, & that might be what the company needs to secure enough capital to bring out a more western flavoured MMO's more in line with what the western markets want, or at the least fund development of the title so they can flesh it out enough to appeal to the western audience.

It will hinge on how well it goes down in Asia I think.

• RipclawRipclaw Member UncommonPosts: 190

Looks awesome. Well worth the wait.

However not all too original, Halo, StarCraft, Starship Troopers, Tribes, with a little bit of Dune thrown in for good mesure, all put together and made as an MMO. But still on a huge epic scale and full of all kinds of badass. Also just looks better then most everything else out there right now in the F2P market.

This and Vindictus could finally make F2P shine.

Let's just hope the micro transactions thing doesn't screw it up.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Problem is the vast majority don't want to pay to play shooters, so how do they expect to finance this game?  I doubt that box sales will do it, unless it is really good.  As everyone can see just making a good shooter does not solve the fiscal issues, as APB can attest.

You can't just make a great game these days, you have to come up with a revenue model that works that the gaming base will accept too.

• BelshazzaamBelshazzaam Member Posts: 6

I think only about 5% of the people posting here actually watched the gameplay video.

some people are calling it "another lobby shooter" but if they had watched the video, it's clearly an open world and maybe seamless.  When i read the artical I wasn't impressed by any means but as soon as I watched the video I got super pumped for this one.

• RivalenRivalen Member Posts: 503

Micro transactions make me shudder.

It shows so much promisse i'm kinda sad it's not going to be a proper MMO but more like a mission game.

• RivalenRivalen Member Posts: 503

Originally posted by Belshazzaam

I think only about 5% of the people posting here actually watched the gameplay video.

some people are calling it "another lobby shooter" but if they had watched the video, it's clearly an open world and maybe seamless.  When i read the artical I wasn't impressed by any means but as soon as I watched the video I got super pumped for this one.

Actually you don't see anything that shows it will be seamless, it might just be a big instanced area for that group.

My bet is something along the lines of Diablo.

• BelshazzaamBelshazzaam Member Posts: 6

Originally posted by Rivalen

Actually you don't see anything that shows it will be seamless, it might just be a big instanced area for that group.

That's why I said "maybe seamless" I never said it would be. Also they say it will be open world.

"According to devs, the game will "thrust hundreds of players together into a lush, dynamic open world"

To me, that doesn't sound like a big instanced area for one group.

• CursedseiCursedsei Member Posts: 1,012

That's why I said "maybe seamless" I never said it would be. Also they say it will be open world.

"According to devs, the game will "thrust hundreds of players together into a lush, dynamic open world"

Honestly they don't say how big the world is in the first place. For all we know the size could be equivalent to the size of a college for all we know. It doesn't matter if the world is "seemless" if its only as big as a Naxxramas or Ulduar, minus the warps, for instance.

And they are saying hundreds, which either means they have some LOOOOOW expectations for the game, or that it will be a lobby/instance based game.

They refuse to explain right now, far as I've seen at least, because they want you to go "OOOOO open world!" and ignore the rest.

Originally posted by Cursedsei

Honestly they don't say how big the world is in the first place. For all we know the size could be equivalent to the size of a college for all we know. It doesn't matter if the world is "seemless" if its only as big as a Naxxramas or Ulduar, minus the warps, for instance.

And they are saying hundreds, which either means they have some LOOOOOW expectations for the game, or that it will be a lobby/instance based game.

They refuse to explain right now, far as I've seen at least, because they want you to go "OOOOO open world!" and ignore the rest.

I hope you had the same observations for APB because that was only 100 in a not very large world and Champions Online is only 100 per server.And hey I even wonder if you would even fit or see 100's of players in one of AoC's instanced zones.

According to devs, the game will "thrust hundreds of players together into a lush, dynamic open world combining intense competitive multiplayer and large-scale cooperative gameplay." I kinda doubt from their statement that they are planning on 100's of people in large-scale co-operative game play being shoved into a sardine can.

You claim they refuse to explain right now hehe come on the info was just released and your picking it apart like you want to find fault I am sure more info will come later jeesh people act like they are trying to get them to run out right now and purchase it or something

• CursedseiCursedsei Member Posts: 1,012

I hope you had the same observations for APB because that was only 100 in a not very large world and Champions Online is only 100 per server.And hey I even wonder if you would even fit or see 100's of players in one of AoC's instanced zones.

According to devs, the game will "thrust hundreds of players together into a lush, dynamic open world combining intense competitive multiplayer and large-scale cooperative gameplay." I kinda doubt from their statement that they are planning on 100's of people in large-scale co-operative game play being shoved into a sardine can.

You claim they refuse to explain right now hehe come on the info was just released and your picking it apart like you want to find fault I am sure more info will come later jeesh people act like they are trying to get them to run out right now and purchase it or something

And I hope you know enough to actually read what I said, instead of some horrible attempt at sarcasm or wit, because I listed no other MMO as an example, just sizes of an area.

And I don't need to pick it apart to find fault with the game, the fact they want to bill themselves as a pvp game, yet include an item mall is fault enough.

And I hope you know enough to actually read what I said, instead of some horrible attempt at sarcasm or wit, because I listed no other MMO as an example, just sizes of an area.

And I don't need to pick it apart to find fault with the game, the fact they want to bill themselves as a pvp game, yet include an item mall is fault enough.

I did read what you said but I doubt you read what I said because I didnt say you listed any other MMO as an example I listed them as an example it wasnt a attempt at sarcasm or a witty comment.And for one most every f2p shooter game has some sort of cash shop(and it is yet to be seen what will be in it) even GA has one now even tho its labeled a subscription. It is being billed as a f2p game not a b2p one so it needs funding somehow 

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

That didn't look  like a lobby shooter as some people are saying.   That looked like an open world.    It also looked better than a lot of the garbage being released lately.   I dunno if I like the ftp model and micro transactions - I'll have to wait and see before making a call on this one.

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

Awesome, so I post to news here well before you, you give me a warning, burry the thread then post it as news just like I said you would.

Awesome news work there MMORPG.com.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

I see a lot of people are already hyped over this but for me it just didn't do it.

First: I've never been a fan of the cell shaded look. What was worse was the characters were like this but not the landscape so it didn't mesh well together at all.

Second: I hate shooters that have a third person option. To me a shooter should be focused around your ability to aim and know your surroundings while in first person. Third person takes away the skill of aiming and let's you easily cover your back without having a clue of what is going on.

Third: And possible the most important fact people have mentioned, a shooter with PvP but a cash shop is going to be near impossible to keep it from being a pay to win situation. It just doesn't sound like a good mix.

I'll pass on this one, but if there are a lot of solid reviews after it has launched, and it isn't pay to win, I may end up trying it at least.

• Originally posted by Cursedsei

Have you ever played League of Legends?  That game is purely pvp, is f2p, and utilizes a cash shop to bring in revenue, and the cash shop does not affect character power at all. 

• corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341

Well played hehe, Touche' dear sir Touche' image

lol.  yes, a real master of words & ideas this Zorvan is.  

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

• corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341

test

* EDIT *

weird.  i couldn't see Toothman's text at all.  i thought he was just wanting to quote me so it wouldn't get lost on the first page and wanted to get more people to see it on the second page.  but he actually added something to it, but you can't see it (*I* couldn't anyways) unless you Quote/Reply to it and then the text shows up (like what i'm seeing in the box above, its NOT blank on my screen atm).

anyways, i don't know who is talking to me or talking to Toothman.  make another comment aimed directly at me if you wanted a response.  8)

and here is what Toothman said:

---------------------------------------------

my response to THAT:

------------------------------

i really don't care one way or another about ACTUAL role playing (only Second Life and other virtual worlds such as that are actually about role playing IMO), because it doesn't force a system of mechanics on you.  you simply role play or you don't, depending on your tastes.  

what i hate is "role playing games", which don't necessarily have anything to do with actual role playing, but are junky game mechanics based on dice rolling "simulation".   stats, attributes, levels, experiences points, etc.   all of that is forced on you, and is EXTREMELY divisive in a multiplayer setting.  huge walls of segregation between the players based on their level and the mechanics employed.

the talk of this games strong emphasis on character progression has me worried.  i'm hoping none of it is vertical.  thats the kinda RPG element that would crap the game all up.

Corpus Callosum    

• SanguinelustSanguinelust Member UncommonPosts: 812

Looks like it might be fun. I loved tribes and I can see some of the elements of that game in this one. The comic book player graphics are kind of a turn off but it wouldn't stop me from trying the game out based one the gameplay I saw on the video.