Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OB Was it a LIE!?

13»

Comments

• skoreanimeskoreanime Member Posts: 219

Originally posted by Belarion

Originally posted by skoreanime

Originally posted by xcalibur

Originally posted by EricDanie

If I have to sell my soul to get a key to try the game, then I'll just wait until they have trials for it.

Beta is not a trial.

Oh yes it is.  The email SE sent out for open beta participants says 

In preparation for the official release of FINAL FANTASY XIV on September 30, 2010 and the early release on September 22, we will be starting an open beta test to help put the finishing touches on the game. We ask that all users who can participate in the open beta test apply from the following website.

in it's opening sentence. Key word FINISHING TOUCHES. They're showcasing their latest and greatest at PAX this week. And before a week or two before launch, servers come down and get ready for launch. This is the last hurrah for SE. This is literally a demo/trial. People still thinking at this point of the testing phase that it's not are, quite frankly, delusional and/or a fanboy.

They will be able to change minor things here and there before launch, but if you people think that what we're going to experience tomorrow is nothing like how it'll be for the rest of the year...I want what you're smoking.

That does not say anything close to "treat this as an free trial!" or "see if you like it!".

Here's a little hint to see if you understand.

People joining into the "test" in open aren't allowed to post on the beta forums at all.  SE doesn't want another slew of comments and "suggestions" this late in the game.  The people joining now are meant to try out the game.  People have got to get over the fact that launch is 3 weeks away and that no matter how much they wish it, what we see in open beta will be a build very close to launch.

• xcaliburxcalibur Member Posts: 571

Originally posted by Belarion

Originally posted by xcalibur

Originally posted by EricDanie

If I have to sell my soul to get a key to try the game, then I'll just wait until they have trials for it.

Beta is not a trial.

Oh yes it is.  The email SE sent out for open beta participants says 

In preparation for the official release of FINAL FANTASY XIV on September 30, 2010 and the early release on September 22, we will be starting an open beta test to help put the finishing touches on the game. We ask that all users who can participate in the open beta test apply from the following website.

in it's opening sentence. Key word FINISHING TOUCHES. They're showcasing their latest and greatest at PAX this week. And before a week or two before launch, servers come down and get ready for launch. This is the last hurrah for SE. This is literally a demo/trial. People still thinking at this point of the testing phase that it's not are, quite frankly, delusional and/or a fanboy.

They will be able to change minor things here and there before launch, but if you people think that what we're going to experience tomorrow is nothing like how it'll be for the rest of the year...I want what you're smoking.

That does not say anything close to "treat this as an free trial!" or "see if you like it!".

People joining into the "test" in open aren't allowed to post on the beta forums at all.  SE doesn't want another slew of comments and "suggestions" this late in the game.  The people joining now are meant to try out the game.  People have got to get over the fact that launch is 3 weeks away and that no matter how much they wish it, what we see in open beta will be a build very close to launch.

...and obviously if the servers are crashing on sept 1 they won't be fixed by the 22nd.

• unknownunknown Member Posts: 12

LOL at canceld OB, i am willing to bet they thought oh shit if people see our game then less will buy it since it is not good enough.

lets just go ahead and cancel OB phase all together and i am willing to bet there will not be one at all. they just go to release.

• NekrataalNekrataal Member Posts: 557

Originally posted by unknown

LOL at canceld OB, i am willing to bet they thought oh shit if people see our game then less will buy it since it is not good enough.

lets just go ahead and cancel OB phase all together and i am willing to bet there will not be one at all. they just go to release.

lol @ the failed troll! OB is postponed not cancelled.

• DreadstoneDreadstone Member UncommonPosts: 125

If you want to regard this as a 'Try Out' your free to do that but it is kind of meaningless and a little misleading.  I think people are confusing the fact that they don't want player feedback with some idea that you can't be doing testing without players comments, lol.

Sorry, but everyone who signs up for the Open Beta is signing up to be unpaid test subjects.  SE can monitor server & game performance and what features player's are drawn to without any direct feedback from the players.  Which is good for those of us in NA since most of the people doing the monitoring won't even speak english.  What people will get out of it is, as you said, a chance to try it out.  But they really need to be aware that there is a significant difference between and Open Beta and a Trial or Demo.  The bugs that postponed the OB are a shinning example of that.  People need to expect crashes and all kinds of problems you wouldn't find in Trials or Demos. 

Plus most trials/demos now allow you to keep the player progression you earn in the trial.  The Open Beta won't do that although it will allow you to keep your character name if you stay on the same server at launch.

• NekrataalNekrataal Member Posts: 557

Originally posted by Dreadstone

If you want to regard this as a 'Try Out' your free to do that but it is kind of meaningless and a little misleading.  I think people are confusing the fact that they don't want player feedback with some idea that you can't be doing testing without players comments, lol.

Sorry, but everyone who signs up for the Open Beta is signing up to be unpaid test subjects.  SE can monitor server & game performance and what features player's are drawn to without any direct feedback from the players.  Which is good for those of us in NA since most of the people doing the monitoring won't even speak english.  What people will get out of it is, as you said, a chance to try it out.  But they really need to be aware that there is a significant difference between and Open Beta and a Trial or Demo.  The bugs that postponed the OB are a shinning example of that.  People need to expect crashes and all kinds of problems you wouldn't find in Trials or Demos. 

Plus most trials/demos now allow you to keep the player progression you earn in the trial.  The Open Beta won't do that although it will allow you to keep your character name if you stay on the same server at launch.

^^ this

Excellent post.

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230

Sorry, but everyone who signs up for the Open Beta is signing up to be unpaid test subjects.  

Sorry but no where in the agreement was that stated and just because you say does not make it so.  Its a trial.  And please dont claim that its a stress test because the stress test happened at a specific time which was announced and only went for a few hours.

Just because it is not the released version does not mean I cant try it out and get a 90% feel for how they intend it.

• JarinJarin Member UncommonPosts: 49

Are you really going to keep arguing over definitions of open/close beta trial? 

• csthaocsthao Member UncommonPosts: 1,121

Originally posted by unknown

Is this OB truly a OB or just a lie? becuase i dont see the option to download this game and neither can i add this game to my master account on square enix site. (yes i was not in CB)

So what is the deal here.....

I've gotten an email from them, they gave me the link to where I can DL the patcher.

• OReardonOReardon Member Posts: 13

I am an animator in the  industry. An open beta is the point at which the game is finished, but needs an en masse run through, and test of the servers, to see where the major bottle-necks are etc. The only thing they probably would be interested to hear about are glitches in the environments that their testers or betas did not catch. The reason the open beta is post-poned is probably because they found something that was a somewhat significant glitch in the world environment,  ie. the WOW Stormwind glitch where players could get behind the curtain, or some such sort of thing. It could also be a flaw in the engine causing distortion of  characters features etc. All of these things are relatively common. Where I worked, we would have "glitches" happen. Some of them are hilarious, like every character getting a giraffe neck because the engine was misinterpreting the matrix regarding skinned joint location. Now, could you imagine having an open beta with that sort of thing going on...

• drgrandrgran Member UncommonPosts: 192

on the offical website when trying to sign up for beta it states

"FINAL FANTASY XIV Open Beta Test Postponed

FINAL FANTASY XIV Open Beta Test, which is scheduled to begin at 19:00 (PDT) on Aug. 31, 2010, will be postponed due to a confirmation of critical bugs. New schedule will be release? at a later date.

Along with the postponement of FINAL FANTASY XIV Open Beta Test, the issuing of registration code for FINAL FANTASY XIV Open Beta Test will be postponed as well. With the download of client software's installer, it will be suspended at 19:00 (PDT) on Aug. 31, 2010.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause."

ASUS G74sx
    i7 quad core
    16gb ddr3 ram
    3gb ram Nvidia 560M
    240GB SSD & 750GB

Originally posted by drgran

on the offical website when trying to sign up for beta it states

"FINAL FANTASY XIV Open Beta Test Postponed

FINAL FANTASY XIV Open Beta Test, which is scheduled to begin at 19:00 (PDT) on Aug. 31, 2010, will be postponed due to a confirmation of critical bugs. New schedule will be release? at a later date.

Along with the postponement of FINAL FANTASY XIV Open Beta Test, the issuing of registration code for FINAL FANTASY XIV Open Beta Test will be postponed as well. With the download of client software's installer, it will be suspended at 19:00 (PDT) on Aug. 31, 2010.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause."

Guess you haven't read the forum today? :)

• StalinfalconStalinfalcon Member Posts: 77

Um, huh? Ok, svann, we had *A* stress test and we were asked to load up a specific server. You know which one if you were there. That doesn't mean that they aren't going to STRESS MOAR.

So, um, SORRY BUT: The OB *IS* a friggin stress test. You WoW-baby generation who have grown up with myriads of F2P games are so used to the marketing scam that is modern day OBs, you have no clue when old-school testing smacks you in the face.

SORRY BUT: for the record, I don't think you can ID the server we were asked to stress, svann. Stop talking outta your ass.

• saddragon69saddragon69 Member Posts: 81

All i care is they get the bugs fixed before my CE gets here on the 22nd ..beta is always crap...