Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LotRO, F2P and You *Update*

Comments

• TranzmasterTranzmaster Member Posts: 8

I like the turbine points awards, i got like almost 1000 tp from deeds and im only lvl 32.

And if you make a single payment, u get premium forever.

Just be happy with what you get, it's a lot worse in other mmorpgs.

• piithpiith Member Posts: 95

so,  how big is the down load for the F2P player ?

• RocketeerRocketeer Member UncommonPosts: 1,303

Originally posted by piith

so,  how big is the down load for the F2P player ?

Its between 11 to 13 GB i think depending on version. I will include that into a future revision when US/EU service are using the same version again.

• PrinceZarokPrinceZarok Member Posts: 17

Originally posted by Tranzmaster

I like the turbine points awards, i got like almost 1000 tp from deeds and im only lvl 32.

And if you make a single payment, u get premium forever.

Just be happy with what you get, it's a lot worse in other mmorpgs.

image The tp award system helps out a lot in-game. I believe it's 200 bucks for the lifetime membership.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

I just created Lotro account after a major WoW burnout, and all I can say is WOW! Lotro is by far my favorite MMO now. I have been looking for the MMO experience that I had when I first played SWG back in the day and I have now rediscovered it in Lotro. You can become so immersed in Lotro and the vastness of the game is amazing.

Taters anyone?

• LeshiJJLeshiJJ Member Posts: 3

Laugh! On Russian servers yet doesn't cost f2p. To players only promise and speak that localizers aren't guilty

• Equinsu_OchaEquinsu_Ocha Member UncommonPosts: 112

Leshijj:  Laugh! On Russian servers yet doesn't cost f2p. To players only promise and speak that localizers aren't guilty

How many threads you going to cut and paste this in?

BTW: In Soviet Russia LotRO plays YOU!

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate!?

• LeshiJJLeshiJJ Member Posts: 3

I will remove the previous theme, and to me is simply insulting that I can't normally play and simply I envy all of you

• timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865

Played lotro for some time now..

the pve and scripts are the best

the storyline is the most addictive and recognisable of all games

pvpisnt that evolved yet, but i hear some coming changed in next autumn and itll blow most of wow's meaningless non-fun pvp away :D

Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • CadwalderCadwalder Member Posts: 20

Thanks for the post, I found it helpful. I've been pondering over whether I should try out LotRO or not for sometime now.

• Gardavil2Gardavil2 Member Posts: 394

STICKY PLEASE

Seriously, this is a good, quick, down and dirty guide to LOTRO f2p and deserves a sticky.(this lotro lifer thinks its great)

I am the Player that wonders... "What the %#*& just happened?!"
    "I Believe... There should be NO financial connection or portals between the Real World and the Virtual in MMOs. "
    __Ever Present Cockroach of the MMO Verses__
    ...scurrying to and fro... .munching on bits of garbage... always under foot...

Update with some important information, if you have a account with CM in Europe you need to read this.

• Dave08Dave08 Member UncommonPosts: 67

One word of warning.  Turbine has done an about face about selling end game items and advantage in the store.  In my opinion, some things lately that seem if not unethical, certainly shady.

They've started selling end game exclusive to the store with this last update.  With the prior update they removed a very useful function that existed in gameplay and moved it to store only also, the ability to remove relics from endgame weapons to transfer them to other weapons.  At that time, they also overhauled the relic system and removed superior relics from the game and replaced them with lesser relics, although they allowed players with the better relics to keep them.  The catch.  If they wanted to transfer them to a new weapon, they lose them unless they pay to transfer the relics with the functionality that was just removed from the game and made store only. 

Without the item, you lose relics you've worked for.  The exclusive store only item they just added is a relic in response to the outcry against the inferior relics moved into the game the prior update.  So even if you sub, it's not enough anymore.  You have to pay money for the best endgame relic in the game for some classes.  And you also have to pay money if you want to keep it when you upgrade your weapon. 

Considering you have to do this even if you sub, it's like triple dipping..

The audio (not video) here is pretty telling.  Basically, if you don't mind paying for top end gear, LOTRO may be the game for you.  If you'd like to be able to earn the best gear for your class, you're probably out of luck long term with LOTRO.  They are switching from they will not sell advantage in the store to making advantage store exclusives.

http://www.casualstrolltomordor.com/2011/03/episode-78a/

They've even removed the 'Convenience, not advantage' posts they previously had prominently posted on their website because it's no longer true.  They feel more people will pay for advantage than will leave over trivializing the game.

I loved the game, but it seems to be changing to being more about fleecing its customers.

Originally posted by Dave08

One word of warning.  Turbine has done an about face about selling end game items and advantage in the store.  In my opinion, some things lately that seem if not unethical, certainly shady.

They've started selling end game exclusive to the store with this last update.  With the prior update they removed a very useful function that existed in gameplay and moved it to store only also, the ability to remove relics from endgame weapons to transfer them to other weapons.  At that time, they also overhauled the relic system and removed superior relics from the game and replaced them with lesser relics, although they allowed players with the better relics to keep them.  The catch.  If they wanted to transfer them to a new weapon, they lose them unless they pay to transfer the relics with the functionality that was just removed from the game and made store only. 

Without the item, you lose relics you've worked for.  The exclusive store only item they just added is a relic in response to the outcry against the inferior relics moved into the game the prior update.  So even if you sub, it's not enough anymore.  You have to pay money for the best endgame relic in the game for some classes.  And you also have to pay money if you want to keep it when you upgrade your weapon. 

The audio (not video) here is pretty telling.  Basically, if you don't mind paying for top end gear, LOTRO may be the game for you.  If you'd like to be able to earn the best gear for your class, you're probably out of luck long term with LOTRO.  They are switching from they will not sell advantage in the store to making advantage store exclusives.

They've even removed the 'Convenience, not advantage' posts they previously had prominently posted on their website because it's no longer true.  They feel more people will pay for advantage than will leave over trivializing the game.

I loved the game, but it seems to be changing to being more about fleecing its customers.

I do not think you actually understand the changes you are talking about, endgame relics are still created ingame and the reason you can't remove them anymore is because you can now much easier get exactly the relic you wantby directly creating it, instead of having to rely on luck. In other words relics are a throwaway commodity.

Besides going from talking about relics to endgame gear is a really really long way. Relics are a way to enhance your character by nuances,95% of your customization happens elsewhere. Also the totel amount of item points on store relics is the same as on ingame relics, in other words they contain exactly the same stats just in a different composition.

They are simply not an advantage, they are a sidegrade instead of a upgrade at most since they are very simply put not better than ingame ones. Infact the ones added to the store where the loosers of a community poll, the winners got added to the game ... go figure.

Originally posted by Rocketeer

Originally posted by Dave08

I do not think you actually understand the changes you are talking about, endgame relics are still created ingame and the reason you can't remove them anymore is because you can now much easier get exactly the relic you wantby directly creating it, instead of having to rely on luck. In other words relics are a throwaway commodity.

Besides going from talking about relics to endgame gear is a really really long way. Relics are a way to enhance your character by nuances,95% of your customization happens elsewhere. Also the totel amount of item points on store relics is the same as on ingame relics, in other words they contain exactly the same stats just in a different composition.

They are simply not an advantage, they are a sidegrade instead of a upgrade at most since they are very simply put not better than ingame ones. Infact the ones added to the store where the loosers of a community poll, the winners got added to the game ... go figure.

I don't think you understand the changes.   There were three new end game relics added as store 'only' with this update.   Out of a thousand people, over 300 voted these as 'the best'.   The best mix of stats is different for each class.  There is no way for three to represent the 'best' for every class.  There is no way for those who voted that these are the 'best' relic for their class to get it outside of paying TP for it.  It's just wrong period.  These are relics that go into your end game weapon to make it the best it can be. 

On top of that, as you mention, they changed the relic system the prior update to 'make it easier' to get that perfect relic.  However, they also changed the relics, and the ones you can get now were nowhere near as good as what you used to be able to get, so people have held on to those relics, and to keep what they earned in the game, they now have to pay tp every time they change their weapon.  So now they also add store only relics, and if you buy them, in order to keep them if you get a better weapon, is to pay to remove it.  Pay pay pay pay.

For me, it's more the priniciple that  they are offering inarguably end game items in the store, and they are also 'store only'.  I am not a tank so they don't affect me personally, but lotro has sadly been going the way of pay to win.  It's not enough to be a hybrid and have people who sub and people who pay for pieces.  They want people who sub to have to pay for the best gear in the game.   It's only a matter of time before all the best gear will be in the store.

Even though I had enjoyed the game up to this, it wasn't the same knowing where this is going.  It was a hard decision to leave, and I miss what it was, but I'm glad I don't have to be nickeled and dimed on top of the price of the sub.  I also never minded paying above a sub for fun things like the mounts, but it's lame to put end game in the store, and make the more loyal end game players pay to have the best option for their class with no way to earn it in game.  Heck, it's wrong to have the best for sale period, but at least if it could be earned in game it wouldn't be as bad.  

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

Interesting information, Dave08.

Can anyone else confirm that this is indeed happening in LoTRo?

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

Originally posted by Cecropia

Interesting information, Dave08.

Can anyone else confirm that this is indeed happening in LoTRo?

I just wanted to add that lotro in general seems to have an easy going casual playerbase that just enjoys wondering around in middle earth.  For those who don't care about end game or like overly challenging content, the changes really don't mean anything.   You can still enjoy playing and grouping in the game.  There is a lot of content and great things in lotro.

It's an interesting playerbase. I think it can be fairly hard core for the raider types (I am not a raider but used to be), but in general the game isn't geared that way, imo. They reved up a few more challenging instances this time that I thoroughly enjoyed and did not require a single thing from the store (instances, not raids), but I've heard quite a few complaints that these were too hard even though there are definite strategies that make these more than reasonably doable. 

Being able to buy end game items in the store just goes against my grain in the first place. I just couldn't get past end game items being 'store only' and then followed by interviews where Paiz says that selling advantage in the store is fine even if it annoys the playerbase because most hard core players won't leave because they are too invested. 

If they could have kept it a hybrid model without selling advantage in the store, I probably wouldn't have left.  Although now that I have, I'm glad I did.  I'm back to playing an old sub game that I enjoyed, and it's nice to just play without even having to think about a store.

It is a very good game.  For those who are interested in building their character for end game, I'd be wary of getting hooked.  Once they have you hooked, they want to get more than the sub price out of you.  Understandable for a business, but not how I want to do business.

There is alot of twisting of meanings going on here, either out of honest misunderstanding or less honest reasons.

Just to put this in perspective, these "endgame" items(relics) we are talking about can be aquired from about level 45 onwards. Thats 20 levels short of maxlevel even not to mention actual endgame, but hey it sounds so much better if we claim that endgame, nay endgame raidlevel gear, can be bought in store.

Fact of life is that there is not a single item in the store that would require true endgame, i.e. raiding or even mere instances to acquire otherwise. Infact there is not a single non cosmetic piece of armor or weapon in the store, and the relics in store do not convey different or stronger boni than those you can piece together yourself before you even set foot in moria, not to mention "endgame".

So in other words you run instances in LotRO to get better gear just as much as in any gearbased MMO, its not like you go on a magicial shopping spree in store once your 65 and your done. And if you choose to ignore the store your raidlevel gear makes you just as powerful as someone spending big bucks in the store.

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

I'll probably just let my old account die. I hate the way companies let you cancel a sub but not delete an account. Might as well let Turbine solve that problem this time.

Originally posted by Rocketeer

There is alot of twisting of meanings going on here, either out of honest misunderstanding or less honest reasons.

I find it interesting that you mention twisting meanings when I didn't.  I never said you had to buy anything in the store to do endgame.  Being able to purchase end game gear in the store, whether needed or not to complete content, is just a line for me. 

Twisting of meaning would be saying legendary weapons aren't end game weapons because you can start getting them at 45 without mentioning that you keep getting new ones thru 65 and some classes feel these relics are better than anything that can be melded in game for their class at 65.  :) 

I guess some might, but I can't imagine anyone would pay for one of these at 45 when you NOW lose the relic when you decon that weapon unless you PAY to again to keep it when you get the 51 - 65 legendary weapons.  I do know someone who reluctantly bought two at 65.  He wasn't happy about it, but he was too invested to quit and he wanted 'the best'.  He has invested a lot of time in lotro, and I think Paiz is correct on his thoughts on that for the most part.  I'm one of the few he's willing to lose to make money.  Nothing wrong with that.  I enjoyed the game while I played it and nothing can take away the fun I had while playing. 

I hope you continue to enjoy the game.  At the time I posted, I was wishing I could too.  I know it's a mental issue, but I can't get past it the philosophy change.

Now, I'm fine with leaving, so I'm gonna unsub from this thread so I don't get any more notifications. I really don't care enough anymore to follow this further.

• DjijinDjijin Member UncommonPosts: 108
    SSG LCC has locked out Life Time subscribers after they insured all LTS would be honored. SSG is not Turbine quality, they are garbage, lower the SOE and Funcom !
    To be fair, I wouldn't imagine that they would honor life time subs. The option was created by another company, has had well over a decade of value already, and they don't profit from it in any way.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892
    Stizzled said:
    Djijin said:
    SSG LCC has locked out Life Time subscribers after they insured all LTS would be honored. SSG is not Turbine quality, they are garbage, lower the SOE and Funcom !
    To be fair, I wouldn't imagine that they would honor life time subs. The option was created by another company, has had well over a decade of value already, and they don't profit from it in any way.

SSG LLC said they would honor those Life Time subs. The fact they did like Funcom style and not giving those players a chance to transition those accounts is shady as F.
    WTF are you two even talking about in this 11 year old thread? Lifetimes VIPs are still being honored. I see no news articles or forum posts that state any different.

a lot of life time subscribers are out in the cold since 2020.

I'm already banned on lotro forum.

Already sent a BBB.og complaint.
    Wouldn't the correct thing be that you found a complaint in 2020 but no update as to whether they were able to get back their account or not?

I'm not sure if that thread is "a lot."

Also, if you were banned on the forums then I'd wonder why. I suspect nothing will come of your BBB complaint but I'd be curious to see. Keep us updated.
    Panther2103
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,737
    komarr said:

5 gold max?? Wow, forget about mounts.  Where did you find that info?  I couldn't find anything on the official site that spelled things out.  Tho I guess they figure if they keep folks unclear, some might ante up some cash "just to be sure" they get what ever it is they want.

I remember running into that limit last time I tried a free account.....I hadn't even made it past the Shire (lvl 10 or so) and was already capped for gold.......You can't sell anything or do much at all.....5 Gold is nothing.
  • olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,805
    I just now logged into my VIP account I got when I bought the lifetime sub. No problems.

I do think they stopped giving out free Points every month to the lifetime subs.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.