Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TERA gets SUBSCRIPTION and ITEMSHOP

Comments

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

Originally posted by Seffren

He he, for someone that is studiyng to be a professsor you're quite gullable :)

Now for the case about itemshop yes/no.

I think it's all about where people set the barrier. Some people don't mind either way, some people think fluff items are the limit and some people don't agree with itemshops whatsoever.

To each his own, and try to respect peoples choices.

I for one am not going in Terra if there is an itemshop.

Subscription + itemshop is a nono, even if it just contains fluffies. It opens up a door to much more ...

In my book subscription should cover everything!

But like I said, this is my barrier, and I'm not gonna force it down your throat.

For me is subscription and items hop a no-no barrier as well, for the same reasons you give... It starts out with small fluffy stuff and before you know more "needed" items end up there...

It's just for some reason that people around here don't (want to) get this as a personal opinion and they start to flame for it >:(

• twruletwrule Member Posts: 1,251

Originally posted by twrule

Originally posted by Reizla

Originally posted by twrule

Originally posted by kaltoum

Awesome, looking for ward to it. I don't care for fluff items as i never buy those anyways. Too much ado about nothing as usual on forums.

It's not about having fluff items or power items in the cash shop...

You buy the box to play a game for $50, then you pay a monthly subscription of $15. That should be enough to get 100% of the content of the game. Nooo... They're greedy and want to give you "extra services" on top of the box you bought and monthly subscription and you can buy extra in-game items for real money..?

WTF are we paying that subscription for anyway..? I thought paying subscription means you'd get the WHOLE content..?

I hardly consider a few .DAT files "content".  If they made you pay to access certain areas or modes of play, that would be roping off content.  If you care that much about a few mount skins and cosmetic pets, I suppose you go absolutely nuts when they try to sell expansion packs?

the skins & pets are in the .DIT files as well, so it's content... And yes, I go nuts about expansions I have to pay for, especially if the developer said all will be free *looks at LotRo Siege of Mirkwood* Afterall, that $15 a month is not only subscription. You pay for the servers, bug fixes, and it could easily cover the expences of content expansions. Just look at Blizzard. They make so much money from their subscriptions, and still want their players to pay for the expansions... WTF???

Is not being able to have that celestial pony yourself really changing your whole gaming experience?  I don't think so.

Those sub fees do cover the cost for them to develop expansions, but they are trying to keep the game profitable, not just break even and continue endlessly generating content.  It's not like they just line their pockets with whatever extra money they pull in - they can use it to roll out with content patches and expansions faster than they'd otherwise be able to, and work on new projects.  It benefits the customer ultimately.

It's more knowledge of how the game industry and business in general works (I didn't always want to become a professor).  It's kind of common sense too - have you ever worked for a company that proportionally raised the salaries of every worker when profits increased (if you do, let me know - I'll app :p)?  That's just not how it works - everything is budgeted out before game development starts and people have their contracts.  It generally makes more sense from a business point of view to reinvest your profits into new projects so you can generate even more lines of income, make more money, and therefore more profit while the business continues to grow.

I think it's all about where people set the barrier. Some people don't mind either way, some people think fluff items are the limit and some people don't agree with itemshops whatsoever.

Subscription + itemshop is a nono, even if it just contains fluffies. It opens up a door to much more ...

Here's where my studies come in handy :p.  That right there is a commonly committed logical fallacy known as the "slippery slope".  There's no evidence to support the claim that the situation will evolve as you assume.  You might have other reasons for wanting to skip over the game too, and that's perfectly fine, but assumptions like that are not safe to make without having something concrete to point to.  If you have something like that, let me know.

But like I said, this is my barrier, and I'm not gonna force it down your throat.

P.S. Sorry if that came off as a condescending tone - I didn't intend that.

• kaltoumkaltoum Member Posts: 304

For me is subscription and items hop a no-no barrier as well, for the same reasons you give... It starts out with small fluffy stuff and before you know more "needed" items end up there...

It's just for some reason that people around here don't (want to) get this as a personal opinion and they start to flame for it >:(

I would really appreciate if people back up what they say instead of offering mere speculations. Give me an example of a subscription based MMO which started offering "needed" items instead of mere fluff? if not then you are just talking nonsense and making up stuff to prove what you are saying.

90% of haters are begging for love. 10% just want a little attention -- Paulo Coelho

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

I would really appreciate if people back up what they say instead of offering mere speculations. Give me an example of a subscription based MMO which started offering "needed" items instead of mere fluff? if not then you are just talking nonsense and making up stuff to prove what you are saying.

Cryptic games? :D

I would really appreciate if people back up what they say instead of offering mere speculations. Give me an example of a subscription absed MMO which started offering "needed" items instead of mere fluff? if not then you are just talking nonsense and making up stuff to prove what you are saying.

EverQuest II. Started out with only fluff items and now you can buy mounts. I'm not sure but in a huge world as EQ2, you really need a mount to move around (unless you want to press WWWWW for half an hour to get to a destination that has no direct teleport)

Originally posted by bloodaxes

LOL... forgot those as well. Kinda lame to add top tear ships to the item shop only...

Thansk for helping make the point Bloodaxe ;-)

I would really appreciate if people back up what they say instead of offering mere speculations. Give me an example of a subscription absed MMO which started offering "needed" items instead of mere fluff? if not then you are just talking nonsense and making up stuff to prove what you are saying.

EverQuest II. Started out with only fluff items and now you can buy mounts. I'm not sure but in a huge world as EQ2, you really need a mount to move around (unless you want to press WWWWW for half an hour to get to a destination that has no direct teleport)

If you can buy mounts in the game (which it's my understanding that you can), then they are simply selling skins.

Furthermore, that's SOE - which has different policies than Anet or NCSoft.

Fact is, your arguement is extremely difficult to defend unless you can get a quote from someone on the Anet team that's working on GW2, or cite some decisions the producers of this game have made in the past toward that direction.

Huh mount? which is slower then any other mount you can get in game? how is that "needed"? the mount you are talking about only look fancy and are in no way 'needed' item. People who like to collect fluff would buy it like any other item where as those who have no interest in its cosmetic value would stick to better mounts in game.

If the mount avilable in item shop was faster compared to every other in game mount only then you can say its 'needed'.

90% of haters are begging for love. 10% just want a little attention -- Paulo Coelho

Np :P

To me it's because of them that people are more sick when they hear p2p + item mall but even name change,ecc are considered item mall rubbish so I reserve my final judgement when I can see with my own eyes what's really in the shop.

Once again how are they 'needed'? all those ships are not faster or better then what you can get in game? they don't give you any advantage over other players? all it does is gives you a new skin and nothing more.

• aithieelaithieel Member Posts: 232

So mutch HYPE about it. Wait a little bit and we'll see.

Once again how are they 'needed'? all those ships are not faster or better then what you can get in game? they don't give you any advantage over other players? all it does is gives you a new skin and nothing more.

If by your statement since it can also be obtained in game eventhough it takes a lot but you can buy it instantly from item mall is fine then grats cause that's what cryptic item mall is.

Need an example? champion's online skill reset you can get it ingame but it's not a matter of minutes to get it BUT there's always the lovely item mall that sell it.

Need more? selling costumes in item mall in a SUPER HERO MMO were costumes ARE part of the game content.

There's more to add but what's the point you seem it's ok if your paying monthly and have also an item mall that can make you earn best or let's say nearly best things in games without a sweat..

If by your statement since it can also be obtained in game eventhough it takes a lot but you can buy it instantly from item mall is fine then grats cause that's what cryptic item mall is.

Need an example? champion's online skill reset you can get it ingame but it's not a matter of minutes to get it BUT there's always the lovely item mall that sell it.

Need more? selling costumes in item mall in a SUPER HERO MMO were costumes ARE part of the game content.

There's more to add but what's the point you seem it's ok if your paying monthly and have also an item mall that can make you earn best or let's say nearly best things in games without a sweat..

Again, different company, different dev team, different policies.  You can't imply that just because one dev does something a certain way, another will do it the same way.  It's illogical.

We are talking about the 'needed items' being sold in the store. Whatever you are saying still doesn't prove that all those extra costumes, ships etc are giving you an advantage over other players or making you stronger in any way. Those are still FLUFF items and we are talking about sub absed MMOS selling stuff which is not fluff but 'needed'. Thats the main point of argument.

Never said that I just said some concerns people might have and you asked for some mmo that has that type of thing I answered you.

If you read a post above I made (not the one quoted) you can see I'm not judging anything until I see what's in this item mall cause name change, race change,ecc are still called item mall stuff.

We are talking about the 'needed items' being sold in the store. Whatever you are saying still doesn't prove that all those extra costumes, ships etc are giving you an advantage over other players or making you stronger in any way. Those are still FLUFF items and we are talking about sub absed MMOS selling stuff which is not fluff but 'needed'. Thats the main point of argument.

Then no at least when I looked I never seen anything more powerful in an item shop then what you can get ingame from a P2P game but surely many things you can get in a minute from the shop that could take you hours/weeks to get ingame and that it's still an advantage over others.

Let's make an example there's this long quest that took you 1 week to complete to get this wonderful kick ass sword that is very rare and hard to get then a week later they put it in an item shop were people could just buy it without doing shit.

Now that kick ass sword is no more a rare sword it's just became a simple sword you'll see many people with.

Never said that I just said some concerns people might have and you asked for some mmo that has that type of thing I answered you.

If you read a post above I made (not the one quoted) you can see I'm not judging anything until I see what's in this item mall cause name change, race change,ecc are still called item mall stuff.

I asked for example of sub based mmo which eventually started with selling fluff items and then end up selling 'needed' items. You gave me example of a MMO which sells pure cosmetic items so yeah thats not the answer i was looking for.

• TyrantasTyrantas Member UncommonPosts: 369

Frogster + itemshop + subscription :D :D :D

This couldn't get any more silly especially when there are games coming out like GW2, Rift and others.

• LorgarnLorgarn Member UncommonPosts: 417

Yep, this is the MMORPG.com forum I've come to know.

Then no at least when I looked I never seen anything more powerful in an item shop then what you can get ingame from a P2P game but surely many things you can get in a minute from the shop that could take you hours/weeks to get ingame and that it's still an advantage over others.

Let's make an example there's this long quest that took you 1 week to complete to get this wonderful kick ass sword that is very rare and hard to get then a week later they put it in an item shop were people could just buy it without doing shit.

Now that kick ass sword is no more a rare sword it's just became a simple sword you'll see many people with.

I still have to see a sub based MMO which sells kick ass rare sword in game store which you can obtain in game too. The whole point of selling fluff in game store is that you can buy it ONLY from in game store. That way it can be easily ignored and makes no difference to your actual gameplay. Please do not confuse sub based + item shops MMO with F2P asian titles.

I still have to see a sub based MMO which sells kick ass rare sword in game store which you can obtain in game too. The whole point of selling fluff in game store is that you can buy it ONLY from in game store. That way it can be easily ignored and makes no difference to your actual gameplay. Please do not confuse sub based + item shops MMO with F2P asian titles.

Star Trek Online?

Life timers or pre orders whatever got a ship as bonus exclusive for them only that was better then some (?) of the ships ingame ready from the start a month or 2 passed and what happens? YES it was in the item mall!

• causscauss Member UncommonPosts: 666

Originally posted by canibusclub

TERA is not even on my radar anymore. I looked at it said meh, looks like a cheap AION or lineage rip off.

I am waiting for games like Rift, FF14, SWTOR , GW2... wish to god that Arche age would get released for us folks in north america aswell, looks like it will be primarily asian though.

I have the same feeling as you. TERA looks 'meh' at best. Only games i'm looking forward to are GW2, Rift and Arche Age ( But yeah, lets just hope they're going to release it in, for me, Europe). GW2 Is coming out this year right, and Rift in 2011?

Originally posted by causs

GW2 Is coming out this year right, and Rift in 2011?

I dunno about RIFT but GW2 isn't coming out til 2011 (well, they said winter, but december is highly unlikely).  They haven't announced a specific release date for it yet.

• Honeymoon69Honeymoon69 Member Posts: 647

they said it wont be a korean grinding game but why do they need to sell xp boost in cash shop lol.  Yes its 0.01% less grinding than the other korean grinding game.

• PhilbyPhilby Member Posts: 849

EQ2 had  mounts before they added them to the cash shop. Once the shop is in place the door is open.

WOW isnt great because it has 12 million players. WOW has 12 million players because its great.