Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A short guide to everything we know about GW2

1789101113»

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

I've gone back and edited this, added new info and changed its title.

The mass info thread is a large piece of work, this was always intended to be succinct (well mostly *grin*), I figured they could happily co-exist and this was worth updating

• MetanolMetanol Member UncommonPosts: 248

I don't really know what to think of GW 2... it has so many wonderful features, yet it feels "dumbed down" to a "vet" like me...

But! After watching a bunch of videos again, the over-done effects are kind of getting to me, I mean, they are just horrible! Does anyone else wish for a feature to disable 80% of them? Or scale them down.. As in, big flashy lights when you hit take a swing with a greatsword, or epic hammer hitting which sends bright lights and dust flying everywhere when you strike at ground. :/

Oh well, I'm still quite sure I will enjoy GW 2 very much, just wish they had gone for a darker, more "realistic" feeling instead (Yes, I know GW is high fantasy, don't start bringing that up.)

We?re all dead, just say it.

• FlutterGuyFlutterGuy Member Posts: 1

Why is GW2 marked as "free" on the website's list? Is it because the price is unknown or undecided?

I'm quite sure it's not going to be free. It even says so on this thread...

I'm a little confused...=/

Originally posted by FlutterGuy
    Why is GW2 marked as "free" on the website's list? Is it because the price is unknown or undecided?

I'm quite sure it's not going to be free. It even says so on this thread...
    I'm a little confused...=/

I guess they listed it as free because there is no subscription, but your right it isn't free to download, you need to buy the game :)

• Falcon760Falcon760 Member Posts: 6

I guess  I'm kinda disappointed Guild Wars 2 is going to be a twitchy game dominated by young video gamers who are good at Street Fighter.  I was looking forward to seeing what dynamic events were about, but I'm going to be attacked and ganked by the embodiment of ChunLi and Ryu every two seconds, forget it.  Actually pigeon holing your game to appeal to twtichy video gamers is a good idea, since modern warfare sold a billion copies, but it's only appealing to part of the market.  That's pretty stupid.  I really don't think there's going to be as much rpg elements or strategy elements or crafting elements as other games and that's also pretty stupid.  It'll be a strong twitchy video game with dynamic events and endless pvp.  Ultima Online used to have enforced and open pvp too, but look at that game.

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722

Originally posted by Falcon760

I guess  I'm kinda disappointed Guild Wars 2 is going to be a twitchy game dominated by young video gamers who are good at Street Fighter.  I was looking forward to seeing what dynamic events were about, but I'm going to be attacked and ganked by the embodiment of ChunLi and Ryu every two seconds, forget it.  Actually pigeon holing your game to appeal to twtichy video gamers is a good idea, since modern warfare sold a billion copies, but it's only appealing to part of the market.  That's pretty stupid.  I really don't think there's going to be as much rpg elements or strategy elements or crafting elements as other games and that's also pretty stupid.  It'll be a strong twitchy video game with dynamic events and endless pvp.  Ultima Online used to have enforced and open pvp too, but look at that game.

You haven't really read anything about the game have you and are just going on hearsay.

• Falcon760Falcon760 Member Posts: 6

Of course I've watched and read things about the game.  I believe it was the video on this very site that detailed things about the twitchy combat, where your reflexes make the difference in a fight or some crap like that.  Things like that create a bias toward twitchy players.

• xenptxenpt Member Posts: 430

Awesome article the best i´ve seen so far, thank you.

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722

Of course I've watched and read things about the game.  I believe it was the video on this very site that detailed things about the twitchy combat, where your reflexes make the difference in a fight or some crap like that.  Things like that create a bias toward twitchy players.

Yeah that's why your entire post consisted of 90% false statements. You can't get ganked during DE's because PvP and PvE are seperate. the UO PvP remark again was completely off the mark due to PvP and PvE being seperate again. Strategy will be very important in WvW, a superior strategy will still prevail even against stronger opposition. On a smaller scale, determining how to tackle an opponent will be just as important. 

And boohoo some players will be better then you, when isn't that the case.

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

Originally posted by Metanol

I don't really know what to think of GW 2... it has so many wonderful features, yet it feels "dumbed down" to a "vet" like me...

But! After watching a bunch of videos again, the over-done effects are kind of getting to me, I mean, they are just horrible! Does anyone else wish for a feature to disable 80% of them? Or scale them down.. As in, big flashy lights when you hit take a swing with a greatsword, or epic hammer hitting which sends bright lights and dust flying everywhere when you strike at ground. :/

Oh well, I'm still quite sure I will enjoy GW 2 very much, just wish they had gone for a darker, more "realistic" feeling instead (Yes, I know GW is high fantasy, don't start bringing that up.)

My understanding is that was a big complaint from the last beta and that they are being toned down, how significantly we won't know until later in the month.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

The PvE elements are all cooperative, so you will never be "ganked". In fact, in order to succeed in the PvE part, you have to work cooperatively with other players, which may at times include reviving them in combat, or hoping that they revive you in combat. I would describe the combat as more calculated than twitchy, but reacting fast to, say, dodge out of something or pop your heal does matter, since most abilities can be activated while moving.

In PvP you play as part of a team on a 3 faction map. You can, of course, go off on your own, and if you find someone from an opposing faction, then skill will decide what happens.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• WolvardsWolvards Member Posts: 650

That April fools joke is awesome. ANet should look into a shooter mmorpg haha, those short vids are halarious.

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.

• TshoberTshober Member Posts: 24

I tried and did not like GW1.  The fully instanced world with no opportunity to explore and the weak PvE content and heavy emphasis on PvP turned me off.  It's pretty bad when you are not willing to play a game you can play for free, because you have essentially pre-paid for a lifetime subscription.  But that was how it was for me with GW1.  I am by no means convinced (yet) that I will like GW2 any better, but they do seem to have addressed at least some of the things I disliked about GW1.  So I will very likely give it a try.  There are few big name MMO's that I don't at least try out.   Hoping for a much better experience than I had with GW1.

At this point my biggest concern about GW2 is it that may be a bit to "twitchy" for my taste.  Too much crazed button mashing gets old, at least to me.  But many of the elements of it sound like a game I absolutely loved, City of Heroes, so that gives me some hope. 

Tshober  

• dtownsdtowns Member Posts: 4

thanks alot for the information, i have been on the fence with this game, this has explained somethings. One thing i didnt see i might have missed it, is the economy/currency, what is that gonna be like in the  game, this the AH like all other AH's? thanks for the information

Originally posted by dtowns
    thanks alot for the information, i have been on the fence with this game, this has explained somethings. One thing i didnt see i might have missed it, is the economy/currency, what is that gonna be like in the  game, this the AH like all other AH's? thanks for the information

The AH is like most games with the following differences: You can make a 'bid' for an item you want that isn't listed, so if someone comes along with the item you want and likes your price they will sell it to you. You can access the AH from anywhere, buy, search and sell, but you need to be next to an AH NPC to collect items.

• Nsein1Nsein1 Member Posts: 20

Prepare to grind and not to be challenged if you're a vet gamer, it is visually striking at first, then that wear off and you're left with buttons to push n that's about it. 

But don't worry about the lifetime sub, your account WILL randomly get banned if you play it. You can petition it and get it back after a few days, but it's status quo for them.

Everything is easy, even the champion fights are a joke, I solo most champion events now with rare-exotic gear, the pvp is a joke, it's basically numbers win IE 4 beat 3, 2 beat 1. So after you get to level 80 and grind through all the dungeons and all the content you won't even want to log back in unless you're a masocist.

• Proof001Proof001 Member Posts: 1

GW2 is my wife

The day I got married August 20, I married GW2, I married a very nice name for her, rose in my heart forever unbeaten rose I bought her the best equipment.I am 30 years old, my parents drives me to marry another woman, how can I do it?Who can give me some advice?