Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A short guide to everything we know about GW2

Comments

• Chase187666Chase187666 Member UncommonPosts: 138

This article was awesome. Ive been following GW2 but not as in depth as all this.

Good read!

• v2lkv2lk Member Posts: 6

This is awesome. Thanks for writing this!

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

I fished around for some of the most informative/interesting PvP Interviews and Sources of Information, which may be helpful for updating post Gamescom:

1. Official Website PvP page: Official summary [INFO]

http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/pvp/pvp-overview/

2. ArenaNet Blog: The Battle of Kyhlo – Jonathan Sharp on PvP [INFO]

http://www.arena.net/blog/the-battle-of-khylo-jonathan-sharp-on-pvp

3. GW2guru KQ's PvP page: summary + sources/reference links to details confirmed by ArenaNet [INFO]

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/gw2-pvp-systems-information-summary-t19633.html

4. PvP Interview with Jon Peters by GuildMag: Thoughtful discussion on PvP challenges in designing (video)

http://www.guildmag.com/pvp-interview-with-jon-peters

5. Guild Wars 2 PvP Interview with Eric Flannum: As above with Eric Flannum ArenaNet's game philosophy (talk)

http://www.tentonhammer.com/gw2/gamescom/2011/pvp-interview-with-eric-flannum

6. Guild Wars 2 - Lets Talk PvP: NCSoftWest panel with Issiah Cartwright & Jonathan Sharp: (talk)

http://www.youtube.com/user/ncsoftwest#p/a/u/0/6vbWqxVg_ow

7. Tirzah Bauer "PvP maps" Guild Wars 2 interview - GamesCom 2011 (talk)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDsfkoHRO6c

8. Guild Wars 2 - GamesCom 2011 PVP & Q&A Part 1, 2: Video Live Demo with Issiah Cartwright (walkthrough)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh6IvAYADLg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0zjYukUa40

9. Guild Wars 2 Demo: PvP primer (PC): Gamespot with Eric Flannum (talkthrough)

http://gamescom.gamespot.com/video/6330320/guild-wars-2-demo-pvp-primer

10. Gamescom Coverage : Hyper WTF is Guild Wars 2 PvP? : Totalbiscuit + Issiah Cartwright (walkthrough)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvHV7HB2BDc

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

Updated the original post, added info about Structured PvP with links and a video. Added a disclaimer. Added a brief paragraph on character creation with a video link. Added a video link for underwater combat. Took away references to the energy bar. Added more info to crafting and a video link. Added a brief paragraph on end game. Added links to some great info posted by people in this thread and other threads on mmorpg.com. Tidied up a few things.

• holifeetholifeet Member Posts: 532

Just a note to say that the link to a PCGamer article under the Dungeons sub-topic is a broken one. It leads me to a forum notice saying something about an invalid thread.

Is it because I'm a guest at GW2guru?

All hail the Pixel, for it is glorious Orange!

Originally posted by holifeet
    Just a note to say that the link to a PCGamer article under the Dungeons sub-topic is a broken one. It leads me to a forum notice saying something about an invalid thread.
    Is it because I'm a guest at GW2guru?

Thanks for that. No it wasn't because you aren't a member, the link is broken, guess the thread got moved or deleted. I've removed the link, the other link gives plenty of info :)

• mattydaremattydare Member UncommonPosts: 4

Very informative thread.

• blazin-aceblazin-ace Member Posts: 302

I don't care about any of that. I want my Commando!

• I have a question about the Sidekick System/level scaling in general.

Does anyone know how this system will work in terms of how stats are effected? Specifically, I'd like to know if your gear scales up or down with you.

Thanks!

• PalmyCloudPalmyCloud Member Posts: 79

I do not know if there is going to be a general bonus on absolute stats, but it would be the most easiest way. I think a character which is going to be sidekicked up and has high power and medium vitality has a medium power and a low vitality in sidekicked levels and vice versa if they are sidekicked down.

But I guess that it might be a more complex process.

• ANet mentioned that if, for example, you are a level 80 player helping out your guild in a level 20 area, you'd be scaled down but would still be fairly powerful in comparison to actual level 20 players. It would most certainly be a stat hit, but would it effect your stats total or just your base (non-gear enhanced) stats?

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382

Originally posted by zenryoku

ANet mentioned that if, for example, you are a level 80 player helping out your guild in a level 20 area, you'd be scaled down but would still be fairly powerful in comparison to actual level 20 players. It would most certainly be a stat hit, but would it effect your stats total or just your base (non-gear enhanced) stats?

We don't have that information.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

Do we know if the game supports the latest DX ?

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

Updated the post with the latest skill acquisition information, also edited the traits info.

• MaelkorMaelkor Member UncommonPosts: 459

Is there any information on a release time frame at the moment and what stage of testing they are in? IE has any form of beta started yet? I have not been keeping up with this one as well as I should as life has been getting in the way. I am contemplating playing SWoTOR untill this one is released but only if this one is months down the road.

Originally posted by Maelkor
    Is there any information on a release time frame at the moment and what stage of testing they are in? IE has any form of beta started yet? I have not been keeping up with this one as well as I should as life has been getting in the way. I am contemplating playing SWoTOR untill this one is released but only if this one is months down the road.

Release date is still set as 'when it's ready'. They announced closed beta testing would start before the end of this year, I believe closed beta is on a 'need to know' basis so we don't know if that's started yet or not. As release is based on feedback from closed beta and subsequent open beta (if there is one) I reckon you can safely set aside a few months to play SWTOR.

Added The Mesmer and a link to Cali59's great innovations thread.

• cali59cali59 Member Posts: 1,634

Originally posted by EvilGeek

Added The Mesmer and a link to Cali59's great innovations thread.

I'm flattered, but I almost wish you wouldn't.

That list came about as a result of a dare, a conversation that went like:

Problem, but what is gw2 doing that's new?

Do you want the list?

Yes yes a list. Don't worry, take your time making a detailed list. I can wait

Challenge accepted!

To be honest, if there was one thing I would like people to take away from that thread, it's not the list I wrote, it's something Meowhead wrote in the middle of it.  Hopefully he won't be offended if I quote him here.

Originally posted by Meowhead

I think it might be easier to make a case for innovative GW2 things if you simply look at game design philosophy. It'd make the list a lot shorter, but a lot less arguable, and in some ways, more impressive. :)

1. B2P is a valid method of making money with an MMORPG - Delivering an AAA MMORPG with a B2P pricing structure.

2. Remove the fight over resources - Everybody has their own loot drop from monsters, no rolling. Resource nodes can be harvested by multiple people, no worries about somebody taking it from you. All people who participate in a fight or event can be rewarded, without taking rewards from others. Characters are automatically deleveled in lower areas to keep them from trivializing and overwhelming all the content.

3. Play with who you want, when you want, how you want - With two minor exceptions (Dungeons appear to require minimum levels, and I'm fairly sure you can't join in WvWvW on an opposing server...), you can team up with your friends. Between automatically sidekicking down, sidekicking up, max level in structured PvP, non faction-split races and teleport points between all the racial cities, you can just hop on, join a friend, and do whatever. There are even commensurate rewards for higher level characters hanging out with lower level ones. I can't think of another MMORPG that does this so THOROUGHLY.

4. Mass PvP is better when it's bigger - Most MMORPGs split mass PvP into little chunks (Witness how carried away Warhammer got with this.) GW2 is not just cramming it all into one massive 4 map area, but rather than having a server divided, each area is x3 servers. That means there can be three times as many combatants as there would be if they limited it to a single server.

5. Have a relatively low power ceiling, then go for horizontal expansion - GW1 did this... but GW1 isn't an MMORPG. (In fact, any other innovation that can be described as '... but GW1 did it', well... GW1 isn't an MMORPG, so yeah. Radios weren't new when somebody decided to stick them in cars, but that's still an innovation in cars, and really changed them quite a lot.)

There's some other things that are innovations, but hey... time to go to work.

... but these are definite design shifts in what it is to be an MMORPG.

Hopefully he gets a chance to finish his thoughts sometime and add a couple more to the list.  Story perhaps? 

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true – you know it, and they know it." -Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

• CityHamCityHam Member Posts: 63

Gief beta access I'll buy the colectors edition t-shirt and the shampoo for 250 USD to get in !

• BlakkrskyrrBlakkrskyrr Member Posts: 230
    Why no battle-ax? The image on the main website for the warrior profession shows him carrying a battle-ax. Why did they relinquish this from us who like to be Gimli and run in yelling and swinging without a moments thought?
  • Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Originally posted by Jolander

Why no battle-ax? The image on the main website for the warrior profession shows him carrying a battle-ax. Why did they relinquish this from us who like to be Gimli and run in yelling and swinging without a moments thought?

It shows him carrying a one-handed axe, in one-hand and there's no battle axe because that would mean ArenaNet would have to figure out who should use it and what they should use it for and I just don't see where it would fit in. Polearm maybe, but not a battle-axe.

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379

Originally posted by Master10K

It shows him carrying a one-handed axe, in one-hand and there's no battle axe because that would mean ArenaNet would have to figure out who should use it and what they should use it for and I just don't see where it would fit in. Polearm maybe, but not a battle-axe.

I agree with the polearm comment though I don't like it. I do think they could have found a use for battleaxes if they wanted to though. Hell they have warhammers in there and, for me, that weapon is the least used in any MMO that has it. No battleaxe has been one of my biggest complaints with the game. Hell they have necros running around with axes so is it really that far fetched that they could have other classes using battleaxes?

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Originally posted by FlawSGI

I agree with the polearm comment though I don't like it. I do think they could have found a use for battleaxes if they wanted to though. Hell they have warhammers in there and, for me, that weapon is the least used in any MMO that has it. No battleaxe has been one of my biggest complaints with the game. Hell they have necros running around with axes so is it really that far fetched that they could have other classes using battleaxes?

The thing is, the 2-Hammer has a clearly defined purpose amongst all the professions that use it. It is a devastating CC weapon. All weapons seem to come with a theme (depending on the profession), that clearly defines the skills it comes with. I just don't see what theme a battleaxe would come with that doesn't conflict with the other weapons. Also a Warrior already has a bloated skillset, so I don't think they need more weapons. Now a Thief & maybe Engineer need more.

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379

Originally posted by FlawSGI

The thing is, the 2-Hammer has a clearly defined purpose amongst all the professions that use it. It is a devastating CC weapon. All weapons seem to come with a theme (depending on the profession), that clearly defines the skills it comes with. I just don't see what theme a battleaxe would come with that doesn't conflict with the other weapons. Also a Warrior already has a bloated skillset, so I don't think they need more weapons. Now a Thief & maybe Engineer need more.

Oh I never disagreed with the reasoning, but I still don't have to like it. Most of the MMO's i have played have had the batteaxe so for me it has become a staple and something every war I play has to have tinkered with. Yes the 2 handed hammer has a clearly defined purpose but don't tell me they couldn't have done the same for a 2 handed axe. If the game had released information that the battleaxe was a weapon I don't think anyone would argue that it is out of place but since they didn't we can discuss it till we are blue in the face. As the game stands now,  the battleaxe would probably conflict. Had they balanced it differently they could have put it in there. Same can be said for greatswords and one haded swords. They didn't write off greatswords for fear of conflicting with other weapons. if Anet had implemented greataxes from the begining we wouldn't be having this discussion in reverse I bet.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.