Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A short guide to everything we know about GW2

Comments

• AKASlaphappyAKASlaphappy Member UncommonPosts: 800

Originally posted by redpins

I advocate against the idiocy that some people blantantly post on here. To sum things up for the people that ask about the GW2 method, it's simple. It's not the initial game buy that creates the massive amount of cash, it is the cash shop. Oh no I just went there. They didn't demographically just attract for US Players, they went for the gold in Asia. They buy more fluff and stuff over there, and it just so happens that the more fluff you offer them, the more fluff they buy. Hands down, this game was thought on a pyschologically addictive multi-level based on demogarphics.

Asia spends money on pay 2 win and fluff cash shops more than any other country. with GW2 don't expect revolutionary stuff, just expect a higher level of entertainment. You act like GW2 is your messiah and will just save the game industry. You can't save the American or European markets for mmorpgs. You can't save them because you can't make a game to satisfy their god-like expectations and their greed. They want want want and in return wish for nothing but to just troll the forums until their cyber genitals become swollen, and their ego spits flaming snots of doom at anyone who goes against their belittled mind.

P.S. I live in America, but I don't follow the same dogmatic mindset most gamers have.

Sorry to burst your bubble but the largest group of GW1 players was not in Asia, it was in Europe.

Also how come ArenaNet made its biggest profits when they were releasing expansion if the fluff cash shop is where all the money is? Nice jumping to conclusions without anything to back it up though!

• tepthtanistepthtanis Member Posts: 545

Sorry I opened up "a can of worms!" But...

If Arenanet was actually fully involvled in producing an allout...In your face! MMORPG!  Then we wouldn't be arguing about it right now...would we?

Played Wow, D and L, AOC, GW, Eve, Rift and many more insignificant games.

• AKASlaphappyAKASlaphappy Member UncommonPosts: 800

Originally posted by tepthtanis

If Arenanet was actually fully involvled in producing an allout...In your face! MMORPG!  Then we wouldn't be arguing about it right now...would we?

Really? Do you honestly believe what you just wrote? Because that is news to me, that means there should not be any arguing about TOR, Archage, TSW, or TERA. Well guess your theory fell apart since those forums are full of people arguing.  So Anet is producing a full in your face MMO just like the rest, people just like arguing because they are too lazy to do the research to learn about the game, and they come to forums with a half cocked idea about the game design.

• KaeriganKaerigan Member Posts: 689

I don't even get what you're trying to say here. Are you saying that GW2 isn't an MMORPG and if it was we wouldn't be arguing about it...? what is this I don't even

<childish, provocative and highly speculative banner about your favorite game goes here>

• TalthanysTalthanys Member Posts: 458

Sure we would be. As long as there are people who are proud of being lazy and deliberately ignorant, there is going to be misinformation. And, as long as there is misinformation, there is going to be debate, discussion, and arguing over those misunderstandings.

Wow, what kind of statement was that? You could justify the presence or absence of anything with that sophomoric logic.

Originally posted by AKASlaphappy

Really? Do you honestly believe what you just wrote? Because that is news to me, that means there should not be any arguing about TOR, Archage, TSW, or TERA. Well guess your theory fell apart since those forums are full of people arguing.  So Anet is producing a full in your face MMO just like the rest, people just like arguing because they are too lazy to do the research to learn about the game, and they come to forums with a half cocked idea about the game design.

You have to remember SlapHappy. That Arenanet has Gw under their fold. They are trying to improve on GW unless I'm mistaken. If you are looking for improvement with TOR,Archage,TSW or TERA...Go find them...U have my permission.

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379

Wow  that just blew my mind.   When in doubt spout stuff that doesn't make sence.  You didn't really open a can of worms, you basically showed others that there is no arguing with the ignorant. Good day sir.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

You have to remember SlapHappy. That Arenanet has Gw under their fold. They are trying to improve on GW unless I'm mistaken. If you are looking for improvement with TOR,Archage,TSW or TERA...Go find them...U have my permission.

TOR is trying to improve on KOTOR, Archeage is trying to improve on Lineage, TERA is trying to improve on Lineage 2, and TSW is trying to improve on Funcom's unfortunate track record with MMORPGs.

GW2 is an MMORPG.  If you're trying to claim otherwise, it just makes you look like you don't know anything about it, and it's kind of embarrassing for everybody involved... you for seeming really uninformed, and people having to respond to you because we feel bad having to correct such elementary, easily solved misunderstandings.

I like how you shifted away from your attack on 'gift shops lolol' to now claiming that GW2 isn't even an MMORPG.  Is there some point to this, or is it just more fun to post about games you know nothing about?  :(

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

This is the second time this week that I see another person complaining about GW2 without knowing enough(or anything) about it. So first things first, GW2 is not only improving on GW. Its a full fledge MMORPG that takes the spirit and lore of GW.

Now, as far as your existential problems with the cash shop...That, as everyone else has pointed out, is just superficial and they are giving people who like to change or enhance their looks more options among other things, nothing in the cash shop will affect the gameplay IN ANY WAY. Like many other's say, paying 15 dollars blindly for an MMO is way more of a steal from your pocket than an optional cash shop.

They have already stated their theory consist on putting out enough good content that the consumers will want to pay for it. That's why they go B2P and put out expansions around every 6 months. If you believe that you want that expansion because it's worth your money then you buy it. That will keep ANET grounded on putting out exceptional content because they are not counting with 15 bucks every month, they have to convince you that their game is worth your money.

Your pic says it all... a beast that walks in it's own sh@t... back to reality...

If Arenanet wants to save face they should implement a 15$ monthly fee instead  of  giving investors the "Shearly Temple" treatment...  

You do realize that one of the biggest MMO companies in the world, NCSoft, is investing in Arenanet and the B2P plan for GW2, right?  The same company that runs Aion, which is basically the second most profitably P2P MMO around? (It has over 3 million subscribers).

I'm just going to go out on a limb here, and say that they understand more about economics than you do.

It's like you've never heard of the concept of underselling the competition, or making up a price drop with volume.  Look, you don't like B2P.  We all understand that.

Don't pretend that makes you some investing wizard though, with a perfect understanding of the MMORPG market.

Originally posted by FlawSGI

Wow  that just blew my mind.   When in doubt spout stuff that doesn't make sence.  You didn't really open a can of worms, you basically showed others that there is no arguing with the ignorant. Good day sir.

Your pic says it all... a beast that walks in it's own sh@t... back to reality...

If Arenanet wants to save face they should implement a 15$ monthly fee instead  of  giving investors the "Shearly Temple" treatment...  

<childish, provocative and highly speculative banner about your favorite game goes here>

Originally posted by Meowhead

TOR is trying to improve on KOTOR, Archeage is trying to improve on Lineage, TERA is trying to improve on Lineage 2, and TSW is trying to improve on Funcom's unfortunate track record with MMORPGs.

GW2 is an MMORPG.  If you're trying to claim otherwise, it just makes you look like you don't know anything about it, and it's kind of embarrassing for everybody involved... you for seeming really uninformed, and people having to respond to you because we feel bad having to correct such elementary, easily solved misunderstandings.

I like how you shifted away from your attack on 'gift shops lolol' to now claiming that GW2 isn't even an MMORPG.  Is there some point to this, or is it just more fun to post about games you know nothing about?  :(

I'm for GW2 Meowhead! What's your point?

Originally posted by Kuppa

This is the second time this week that I see another person complaining about GW2 without knowing enough(or anything) about it. So first things first, GW2 is not only improving on GW. Its a full fledge MMORPG that takes the spirit and lore of GW.

Now, as far as your existential problems with the cash shop...That, as everyone else has pointed out, is just superficial and they are giving people who like to change or enhance their looks more options among other things, nothing in the cash shop will affect the gameplay IN ANY WAY. Like many other's say, paying 15 dollars blindly for an MMO is way more of a steal from your pocket than an optional cash shop.

They have already stated their theory consist on putting out enough good content that the consumers will want to pay for it. That's why they go B2P and put out expansions around every 6 months. If you believe that you want that expansion because it's worth your money then you buy it. That will keep ANET grounded on putting out exceptional content because they are not counting with 15 bucks every month, they have to convince you that their game is worth your money.

Alrighty then Kuppa... Arenanet is accepting my "60$" as the final amount I'm going to give them. They will never ask for anything more...ever!?

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

Alrighty then Kuppa... Arenanet is accepting my "60$" as the final amount I'm going to give them. They will never ask for anything more...ever!?

Sure they'll ask but they'll never demand. There won't be anything that crops up during normal game play that will hinder you unless you spend. This isn't a F2P title with in built frustrations that require a cash shop to proceed or compete. With GW2 you buy a fully fledged MMO with no cash shop hindrances and no sub, they'll make their money from DLC, Expansions, fluff and unit sales. Sorry if you don't like that but that's just the way it is :) (The lesser evil of any monetization option if you ask me).

Can we get back on topic now?

15$ a month! I have nothing to do with Arenanet. I don't wan't to deal with groups like PWI...Wow... Rof... Do you? Grimm6th?

You're confusing B2P with F2P again.  You really need to stop doing that, because it makes you look silly. :(

Anyway, this is fruitless on your part.  Arenanet has already picked their payment model, and lots of people enjoy it.  They can't make everybody happy.

They've chosen to make people like me happy, at the cost of people like you.

Since I win from this, all I can feel is pity that you lost.  Sorry.

15$ a month! I have nothing to do with Arenanet. I don't wan't to deal with groups like PWI...Wow... Rof... Do you? Grimm6th?

You're confusing B2P with F2P again.  You really need to stop doing that, because it makes you look silly. :(

Anyway, this is fruitless on your part.  Arenanet has already picked their payment model, and lots of people enjoy it.  They can't make everybody happy.

I lost to a cute little redheaded gal! :D ...I'm guessing that "that" is the best thing I have ever done! "Meowhead, Kaerigan!" I hope to meet you both in GW2!  The 2 of u and Grimm6th must hate me but I just wanted to know that I wasn't wasting my time with GW2!!!  

I lost to a cute little redheaded gal! :D ...I'm guessing that "that" is the best thing I have ever done! "Meowhead, Kaerigan!" I hope to meet you both in GW2!  The 2 of u and Grimm6th must hate me but I just wanted to know that I wasn't wasting my time with GW2!!!  

Gw2 fans... give me a kick>>> In the ars! GW2 is everything it's suppose to be! I hope my friends see me making a fool of myself!  New friends! But friends none the less... :D

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Dude, what you have to understand is that it's a way better deal to be able to have the DECISION wether or not you want to spend more. With subscription based, its not a decision, you HAVE to spend 15 bucks for all or nothing, you can't decide that you don't want to pay for pink pokadot pants....

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Gw2 fans... give me a kick>>> In the ars! GW2 is everything it's suppose to be! I hope my friends see me making a fool of myself!  New friends! But friends none the less... :D

Fan or no fan, you got things wrong. ANET doesn't make P2win games, you seems to confuse GW2 with Allods.

Sure, GW2 will not be everything what all people here seems to think. There are always people assuming that a game will be exactly what they want it to be without bother to check the game up that much, as well as other assumes a game will suck without bother with facts.

You can't make a perfect game that fits everyone and I am sure that some people will find that the game is far from what they expacted.

I have played Guildwars for over 5 years and I can tell you that you can't buy anything that makes you win there. The most OP thing you can buy is skill unlocks, but they are easy to lock up both in PvE and PvP. Besides, unlocking all skills wont help you winning against someone better no matter what.

• claytosclaytos Member Posts: 177

Originally posted by Kaerigan

Look, I made a comic in your honor, tepthtanis!

HAHAHA i love those type of comics. awesome one.  XD

• DLangleyDLangley Member Posts: 1,407

Get back on topic please. This is the end of the personal arguments.

Originally posted by DLangley

I understand why you erased that guy DLangley...but you also deleted my explanation as to why I was being so critical with GW2...

• AblestronAblestron Member Posts: 333

Originally posted by DLangley

thank God for you moderators ; _ ;

I obviously went too far. Sorry 'bout that. In retrospect, I was pretty childish and that comic was not very tasteful, I think I'll even go ahead and delete it from my Imgur account. First time I've ever had my post deleted by a moderator. I'll make sure that does not happen again.

But back on topic: I've been thinking of rolling an elementalist when the game releases. The developers have said that all classes can more or less tank efficiently (if I remember correctly), but they've also said that the elementalist is one of the "squishier" classes. How will this work? Will I be able to hold off the mobs for like 5 seconds and then I have to retreat?

Originally posted by Kaerigan

But back on topic: I've been thinking of rolling an elementalist when the game releases. The developers have said that all classes can more or less tank efficiently (if I remember correctly), but they've also said that the elementalist is one of the "squishier" classes. How will this work? Will I be able to hold off the mobs for like 5 seconds and then I have to retreat?

Tanking doesn't really involve standing and just taking hits while somebody heals you.  Even the most sturdy classes are going to need to dodge some bigger things, and run away occasionally while other people cover them.

... but how does an elementalist do it?  I'm guessing earth magic and protection spells.  It's how it worked in GW1.  They could raise their armor up past the level a warrior had, through magic. :)

There's also 'soft' shielding, stuff like throwing up a wall of flame in front of yourself.  Where people CAN run in to hurt you, but they're discouraged strongly from doing so.

Their leg of the trinity replaces 'tanking' with 'control', with tanking being a subset of control.  So a lot of how an elementalist would tank is by knocking people back, blinding them, snaring them or whatever.  It still does the basic role of 'Protecting other people from damage', even if it's kiting people or knocking them around or making them incapable of hitting accurately. :)