Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

question for people upset about space combat.

1235»

Comments

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786

Originally posted by baphamet

are you fans of bioware games? did you even play the original KOTOR or mass effect games? if so, did you like them?

i can certainly understand wanting to play a star wars mmo with extensive space combat. what i don't understand is why any of you expected it from bioware, considering they never did it in the original KOTOR game?

many consider that one of the best RPG's of all time, certainly one of the best starwars games in my opinion.....all without space combat, go figure!

Did KOTR have first person shooter elements?  No.  Did Mass Effect Have first person shooter elements?  Yes.  Which game came out more recently? The combat in their games have evolved; therefore, your comments make absolutely no sense.  You can have played their games and expected first person shooter elements and combat that was NOT on rails.

The original KOTR games came out over 5 years ago.  I think customers can expect some improvement in 5 years.   It is ridiculous to say that customers should not expect new features in games that come out 6 to 7 years after the last one in the serious. 

Yes the KOTR games were also made in 2003/2004 (2005 for PC).  However, they were single player RPGs and a lot of the things that were in those games should be improved upon considering this is an MMO, which will need completely different dynamics to support players playing together, and has the advantage of 150 million dollars and almost a decade since the release of the first one.

I will agree that expecting Bioware to allow free space travel everywhere with no instances is insane; especially considering Bioware is king of the small zone and loading screen.  There is nothing wrong with expecting instanced combat in space where you control your ship, shields, and weapons.  X wing came out in 1993 and had all of those with instanced combat.  I cannot speak for everyone but I would have been happy with that. 

Inherently, combat on rails means no group combat.  Any combat feature that is purely solo play in an MMO is fail as far as I am concerned.  I know they said they might add group combat in the future but they need to take it off the rails to do that. 

Furthermore, there are an entire host of MMO features that companies promise after launch that never get into games or take years to make it in.  If they want space combat that can be played cooperatively and dynamically then they have the time and resources to add it now.  

A rail shooter is lowest possible space combat.  The only thing they really save in development is the AI.  The AI will be on rails to so it will not have to act dynamically.  I do not think it would be all that hard to allow people a little bit of space to fly around and be a dynamic part of the epic battles.  The reason I play games and do not watch TV is because I like dynamic content over static. 

Freaking Excel 97 had a flight simulator in it.  I think I can have the limited expectations of instanced combat, that is cooperative or single player, and not on rails in an MMO that comes from an MMO being published in 2011.

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin