Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dark Age of Camelot: Who's With Me? DAoC 2?

Comments

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

I'd love to see DAOC2:

1) I missed out on the legend that is DAOC RvRvR

2) If it was successful, it might help stimulate the mmo market to start innovating on number of factions and gameplay offered instead of the vanilla 2 factions that imo is very over-represented and lacks choice or diversity and usually cherry-picks an ip to pieces.

• Luthor_XLuthor_X Member Posts: 431

Since there has never been a DAoC2, there never will be... sadly :(

• LairLair Member Posts: 6

I agree with Melb!!!

• LairLair Member Posts: 6

There's a couple other things that made DAOC great, nobody mentioned...they had a great customer service crew up til they made Warhammer then they failed. Also because the rivalries were among countries and not about good and evil, but about land and power...as it is in the real world. A game that is about good versus evil fails imho.

• WolfClawsWolfClaws Member UncommonPosts: 638

Yeah, Warhammer is DAOC2.

If they took EVERYTHING from DAOC, shoved some serious graphical/ UI upgrades, to include animation, spell effects, etc and threw in some more fun with the keeps, I would play DAOC again.

Other than Atlantis is was the most balanced game out there.

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283

EVE has a whole faction warfare system. 4 factions. Darkfall has 4 factions. FE has 6 I think. Of course, most of us know factions dont mean anything.

I always heard DAOC was good, but I would rather play it without magic. Wouldnt DAOC with just a dark medevil hack and slash be great? No buffs, defbuffs, heals, or lighting bolts of your ass. Just hacking off limbs, running lances through people, throwing people off castle walls.

• Sain34Sain34 Member UncommonPosts: 293

I its a wonderful dream, a dream though it is.

• MugombieMugombie Member Posts: 3

A prequal!!!

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

Why not give the game a graphical and UI overhaul instead of messing with a whole new version? Seriously. The game is still there. The servers have been merged so that there's max population possible at any given time. The "legendary RvR" is still happening. Darkness Falls is still there. Everything is still there. They're even starting to do Live Events now. The only thing stopping most of us is a clunky UI and 2005-esque graphics.

If there was a DAoC2, it wouldn't be like the original. People would be interested, and that means they'd have opinions, and those opinions would be so overwhemingly against what the original game was that it'd turn into another WAR. What's the phrase... "the genre is full of a buncha WoW kids," right? No thanks. Keep what we have, just improve upon it. That way, only people who really care about the old game will be interested.

• RribRrib Member Posts: 49

I've played both. Still playing Warhammer and agree with the posters above who claim War IS DAoC 2. Looking forward to the next patch. Patches in the past have actually fixed/improved problems. Looking forward to Guild Wars 2 also.

• ConjureOneConjureOne Member UncommonPosts: 233

Originally posted by Nivisiru

Originally posted by Celestian

They did a DAoC2, it was called Warhammer.

Yeah I guess WC and SC are the same game too huh. Being there both made by Blizzard and both a RTS... Get real.

SC = WC with space skin and different actors (YES, yuo heard it right, plot is identical) 

• ElronirElronir Member UncommonPosts: 36

Ho I remember Daoc... Pve, where you had to camp forever the same mob to level. After that, you had to equip yourself and grind for months to be able to compete in pvp. Of course, nobody remember that, everyone think about the pvp... This ridiculous pvp where only the hardcore (the guys who alway play together every single nights) and the zerg could win. Realm imbalance further made this a complete nightmare. I remember a particular legendary albion zerg that litterally made the server crash. You also needed a bot to compete, so a second account 180$/year. After that, they added New frontier, I like to call that a new way to give me the finger. As a skald, I had nothing to do with these siege fight and apparantly, I was not good enough to be part of the elite club so I was alone or stuck with pug.

You know what, I am glad DAOC era is over. Thanks for remembering me how nostalgia sucks, how much daoc was too hardcore for me and why it's dying at the moment with a single server left.

• RaventreeRaventree Member Posts: 456

I think for sure a DAoC 2 would have to have some changes to be successful.  In this generation of whiny WoW kids, a lot of things about DAoC that were fine at the time wouldn't seem so great any more.

Namely, the xp grind to 50 was painful.  I remember the last 5 levels with my druid where I stood at the top of a ramp that had creatures at the bottom and began pulling them, one at a time.  They had to run up the ramp to get to me so I had extra time to do damage with my nature dots, which helped me to keep a constant stream of pulls.  When I got home from work I immediately got on and started pulling and did so until bed time and it STILL took me from Monday until like Saturday to get those 5 levels with nonstop pulls.  Oh, god, it was painful.

Also, the crowd control was  WAY too powerful.  I have seen some posts from people that liked it, but as someone who played the game for 6 years, I always hated it.  When two groups came together, whoever got off the first mez was the team that likely won.  If two groups of 5 found each other on the frontier, the battle almost always went like this, you see the enemy, the enemy mezzes your group, you are stuck in place while the enemy kills your friends one by one and then kills you.  Next time, hopefully you will get the mez off first.

Finally, I saved the best for last.  The thing that I absolutely hated the MOST and this is a big one, casters could NOT cast once someone reached melee range.  You got a quickcast, which was a single cast and then you died.  This was a source of endless frustration, since I always play casters in all MMOs.  I could pick up a sword and chop someone in real life, but I could never cast a lightning bolt from my fingers, so casters have always been more interesting.  Anyway, stealthers were unkillable as a caster unless you found them killing someone else out of stealth and once melee reached you, your only choices were to die or die and cuss.

Lastly, sometimes the frontier was just very slow.  When hordes of players were roaming back and forth capturing keeps and individuals were running around looking for 1v1 it was magic.  When it was slow, you were sitting around chatting with your guild and looking at the map hoping you would see the little crossed swords that indicated battle.  Also, 1v1 was difficult to find in the frontier because most people ran with groups.  The only time you really saw a lot of 1v1 was stealthers ganking you and unless you were a tank class, you had very little chance of winning.

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    SWToR, Aion,EQ, Dark Age of Camelot
    World of Warcraft, AoC

• OwiranOwiran Member Posts: 22

I would play for sure if they made a prequal.

• Guardian707Guardian707 Member UncommonPosts: 17

Planetside

3 starting factions balanced by concepts.

Terran

Vanu

NC

DAOC2 would only flourish if it brought something that no other game out right now had.  Right now, every game has that one thing they are trying to boast.  Maybe your new game is a wow clone +1.   Great.  There are at least 10 others out there doing the same.  I played DAOC classic from the first day it came out.  I was hooked on MMOs starting with DAOCs systems, but they've been mostly perfected by other games.  Crafting, Battlegrounds, questing... all of these are more enjoyable in other games.  RvR was a win concept, hands down.  Three faction balance wins hands down, but they are harder to balance.   It probably would have kept me longer, but I left shortly after ToA.  RvR was a /follow fest after a while because it got so hard to get places in the realm to fight.  In the beginning, it was an amazing concept and I loved it for what it was.  I left and never looked back. 

If DAOC2 were the first MMO to be usable with a cheap virtual reality system or something WII based, that might be something. 

What I could really go for right now is for someone to come out with a steampunk based true MMORPG with twitch based action, split-game design for balanced PVE/PVP (changes based on target) in an original graphically-pleasing partially-player-atlering world. but thats me...

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

The majority of players who try it will whine and whine until it ends up just like WoW.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Originally posted by Celestian

They did a DAoC2, it was called Warhammer.

Warhammer only has 2 factions, pvp just does not work well in the environment.  Besides the pvp in DAoC is far superior to Warhammer.

I still think the best pvp I have had in this genre was in DAoC pre-Atlantis expansion.

• Tina_In_AzTina_In_Az Member Posts: 6

I played DAOC for many years. But, I left for a combination of reasons such as: guild left for other games,  there were much "prettier" games to play like Guild Wars, and the grind that was attaining Master Levels and that required a war band of 200 people to accomplish. Also, I think LotM was broken...  Anyway, I did LOVE the Open RVR and the tiered battleground system with 3 factions and have been hunting for a replacement fix ever since I left.  I also loved the classes and have hoped to find a game where there was a stealhly hunter class - the old "Stinger" model on DAOC...Many times I have wished they would re-roll DOAC, with better graphics and game engine. I tried WAR and LotR in hopes of finding it but ended up disgusted with those RvR models. Guidl Wars wsa even worse with the GVG. So, Yes BRING ON A DAOC  2 with Open Rvr, tiered battlegrounds and 3 factions and a great time will be had by all!

• mackdawg19mackdawg19 Member UncommonPosts: 842

Don't also forget that DaoC had shared dungeons when pveing, meaning there was more than just your group there. Also they had DF which altho was mostly pve when you owned the rights to it, instantly became pvp zone until your side cleared the beginning. The nice twist is that there was a back way which could be taken to sneak up or stealth farm seals down a hall that was empty. But i think my honestly best times were exploring SI, mushroom farming in SI, or doing the raids on bosses in DF. Don't get me wrong, i loved the RvR, but PVE is what i enjoy the most.

• PalanorPalanor Member UncommonPosts: 46

I'd so buy DAoC 2. DAoC is such a great game in most ways that it is a shame they haven't made a sequal or re-released DAoC somehow.

Nerf rock, paper is fine -Scissor

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,815

DAOC was my first real MMO experience, was still the best. I liked Baldur's Gate before that.

I still remember when our guild captured our first keep, and I used to go out and PvE farm in the PvP zone around it.

And DF? As a mini, i remember going stealth when we lost DF, and watching the zerg run by, hopefully :)

The harvesting/crafting was good enough too, got to GM Alchemist. And .... I miss my Cabby!

That was back before gold spammers, and getting to level 50 was actually an acomplishment.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• fansedefansede Member UncommonPosts: 960

Well, just to keep the thread going in the rare event a Mythic lurker is reading...

Is a graphical upgrade all that is necessary to be succssful? Same factions? Same professions? Same abilities?

What other features - perhaps from other games - would you like to see in a game that would have the distinction of DAOC 2? For example - PQs?

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347

Originally posted by Elronir

Ho I remember Daoc... Pve, where you had to camp forever the same mob to level. After that, you had to equip yourself and grind for months to be able to compete in pvp. Of course, nobody remember that, everyone think about the pvp... This ridiculous pvp where only the hardcore (the guys who alway play together every single nights) and the zerg could win. Realm imbalance further made this a complete nightmare. I remember a particular legendary albion zerg that litterally made the server crash. You also needed a bot to compete, so a second account 180$/year. After that, they added New frontier, I like to call that a new way to give me the finger. As a skald, I had nothing to do with these siege fight and apparantly, I was not good enough to be part of the elite club so I was alone or stuck with pug.

You know what, I am glad DAOC era is over. Thanks for remembering me how nostalgia sucks, how much daoc was too hardcore for me and why it's dying at the moment with a single server left.

REmember how you didn't play daoc or if you did for a very short while.

Why do i say this becuase i did play daoc off the bat no equipment gridn existed at all for pvp and it remained that way for a long time.

REmember how when TOA came out and you did have to do RAIDs for pve for good equips, but in the end 70-80% of your equip was random drop or player crafted.

REmember how you could still pvp with little/few artis and low level artis and do fine.

I "won" in pugs all the time, what was winning, u had standign and they didn't? .. See in daoc just killing 4 people of an eleet 8 man is pretty win to me you stop their movements and often weaken them if using buff bots. Even more so i still got a TON of rp for it.

Realm pop may have been imbalenced, but over all clases were not.

Lets be honest also why daoc is almost dead, its not themepark (a wow clone which is pretty much a required now), its old, the controls are not standard for mmos (not cloned from wow, i know wow clones are so awful), they killed the camp and explore with cata.

Sorry but i do not think your post is true.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

Daoc2 would be fine - but only if they not copycat Daoc1 but take the ingenious world design and improve it with wild lands for the ffa crowds as well as realm and ffa sandbox areas that have to struggle with realm politics in their own way while the seperate PvE offer Epic Questchains inspired of the myths and lore based on each realm, the Norse, Celt and Artus myths and the real history evetns happen as well as voyages into the mythological underwolrd of each realm, a modern DF, Crafting and Economy like in SWG/Vanguard. Classes and Combat like in AoC but taylored around the Realms.

Could work out...but not in a cheap try milking a good old name!

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347

Originally posted by Blutmaul

Daoc2 would be fine - but only if they not copycat Daoc1 but take the ingenious world design and improve it with wild lands for the ffa crowds as well as realm and ffa sandbox areas that have to struggle with realm politics in their own way while the seperate PvE offer Epic Questchains inspired of the myths and lore based on each realm, the Norse, Celt and Artus myths and the real history evetns happen as well as voyages into the mythological underwolrd of each realm, a modern DF, Crafting and Economy like in SWG/Vanguard. Classes and Combat like in AoC but taylored around the Realms.

Could work out...but not in a cheap try milking a good old name!

WAs call mordred and it was awful ... i was in the top level group (there were 2 group/guilds close and one a bit behind) that hit 50 the pvp and server was fun level but quickly became pointless there after.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine