Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Query about Regions

SherishSherish Member UncommonPosts: 5

I know when WoW first came out, European players would not play with US players, they were separated by several reasons, most of which boiled down to money LOL, and as a old time MMO player, going back to UO and before, most of my online friends are American, whereas Im a Brit, so WoW was always denied to us as a choice to go as a group.  We have wandered around, our base game being EQ2, but always heading elsewhere to try new MMOs that allowed US/Europeans to play together.  We did of course have strict guidelines (no forced PvP and no FTP).

Over time, of course, with our restrictions, our choices have slimmed, DDO and LoTRO to name but two.

So I thought I'd take a look at WoW again, as I wondered if perhaps 5 years and the size of Blizzard as a company now (let alone its size then!) surely they could figure out how to get around the tax issues etc and be able to allow Europeans to play with US (hell if Sony can do it, surely anyone can).

But I have to admit, taking a look at WOW US's website, I am struggling to find any info at all about this, and I wonder if anyone out there has any advice/info on what the state of play is?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks

Sher

Comments

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933

In my previous guild (EU The Venture Co. realm) we had 2 Yankees playing with us, one from Arizona and one from a New York suburb (i don't recall the places name). If i remember correct they where findling with a value in a setup (or was it a .ini) file which allowed them to browse the EU realms.

• SherishSherish Member UncommonPosts: 5

Thanks for the reply, but that only works if you have a valid account for both countries.

When WoW was first released, to play US you needed a valid US home address, and the same for UK players.  What I really want to know is if this is still needed, or can UK players buy a US version of the game, register an account on US Battle.net with a UK address, or vice versa (US register on UK battle.net).

Thanks

Sher