Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you rage quit an mmo? What sent you over the edge?

Comments

• SmoeySmoey Member UncommonPosts: 599

I have never rage quit an mmorpg. I play and play until I either get bored or find something else to play. I have played DAoC the most and if I survived the ganking in that I'm sure I can survive anything in today’s market.

(\ /) ?
    ( . .)
    c('')('')

• dougmysticeydougmysticey Member Posts: 1,176

I have never rage quit any game. They are games and don't warrant that level of emotion from me. If I get bored or dissatisfied with a game I stop playing (and paying).

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

I wouldn't call it a "rage quit" but I stopped playing AION for one thing... the boiling balaur blood stains quest.

Tried 5x; got a "free chance" from AION for being such a failure and that one failed too. I quit shortly after that as I was broke after spending millions trying to get this pants quest done. I just couldn't see farming any more mobs over and over to fail again as this quest, which is SUPPOSED to be some "expert" level quest, is nothing more than pure random luck.

Either the AION gods love you or hate you. If they love you, you now can finish your set and get your Fenril/Miragent weapon (which btw is pretty damn good and helps you kill people to get a REAL PvP weapon from reward points).

Also for Dredgion (which is a PvP arena type thing, very few groups will take you unless you have a Fenril/Miragent set because they don't want to lose the PvP match). If the AION gods hate you, you are stuck spending millions more of money and time chasing this proc.

Again, I wouldn't say "rage quit" as that implies you did something once, failed, and went ballistic with a subscription cancel. There have been people who did this quest 10-15x and STILL haven't finished it while some people can hit the "Craft" button and do it once.

That kind of randomness really makes the game unfair from the PvP standpoint, even though AION claims this is some kind of "expert" quest but no actual skill is involved in doing it. It's purely a dice roll, which is stupid after all the work that goes into gathering the actual mats to "try" it.

This one quest is responsible for probably half of the "I QUITS" in AION.

• SerpentarSerpentar Member Posts: 246

While I haven't rage quit an MMO, have rage quit several sessions while playing. For instance in AO while grinding Medusas in EFP,  we had moved down into the basin instead of hanging up on the wall per the norm. We did ok for a bit, then managed to aggro 2-3 Meds at the same time. Playing my doctor and doing my best to keep myself and the group up, the adds took a liking to me and wailed on me , killing me in short order.  So while I was at reclaim recovering from rez sickness waiting to get my items back, the group kept yelling for heals. Told them I had died..then the fixer posted in chat  "whew glad the root stuck." managing to save the rest of the group and then procedded to ask me why I was not healing. Told them again I died, that got a "oh lol." out of em. Politely told them to seek another healer that I was done, quit the team and logged off.

A couple mistakes dont bother me. But when someone is crass and arrogant in their ignorance of what is going on, I tend to seperate myself from them in short order.  That and factor of the several raid guilds that I tried, who couldn't start on time or always seemed to have people pulling before ready. Told me that it was time to save myself the grief and move on from WoW. I am not hardcore in raiding, but I at least expect to start in the general time period not an hour or two later on a weeknight..still makes me bang my head against the keyboard remebering the guild leader log in a hour late, and "And go oh! Well..who wants to raid OS?" When we were set to raid ToC or whatever the ten man version was called.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509

Lineage 1 was a rage quit.  I was extremely pissed off that they changed the way my class/build worked, offfered no way to respec (had to totally reroll), cost me 3 months worth of Adena grinding and didn't care what the player base thought about it.

Every city had a message board so I went around posting that I was leaving and invited people to join me in DAOC.  You could also buy scrolls to write messages on and then drop them on the ground (and they would persist indefintely) so I went round the realm dropping them with the same invitation to join me in DAOC.  I was like an evil johnny appleseed, must have left 100 or more everywhere.

I tried to go back a year or so later and found my accounts permabanned.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• VooDoo_PapaVooDoo_Papa Member UncommonPosts: 897

I rage quit Eve Online when my corp declared war on another corp and i wasnt notified of it.  I lost my loaded typhoon in high security and the corp refused to replace it for me.

man I was pissed.  Never went back either.

• SerpentarSerpentar Member Posts: 246

Originally posted by popinjay

I wouldn't call it a "rage quit" but I stopped playing AION for one thing... the boiling balaur blood stains quest.

Tried 5x; got a "free chance" from AION for being such a failure and that one failed too. I quit shortly after that as I was broke after spending millions trying to get this pants quest done. I just couldn't see farming any more mobs over and over to fail again as this quest, which is SUPPOSED to be some "expert" level quest, is nothing more than pure random luck.

Either the AION gods love you or hate you. If they love you, you now can finish your set and get your Fenril/Miragent weapon (which btw is pretty damn good and helps you kill people to get a REAL PvP weapon from reward points).

Also for Dredgion (which is a PvP arena type thing, very few groups will take you unless you have a Fenril/Miragent set because they don't want to lose the PvP match). If the AION gods hate you, you are stuck spending millions more of money and time chasing this proc.

Again, I wouldn't say "rage quit" as that implies you did something once, failed, and went ballistic with a subscription cancel. There have been people who did this quest 10-15x and STILL haven't finished it while some people can hit the "Craft" button and do it once.

That kind of randomness really makes the game unfair from the PvP standpoint, even though AION claims this is some kind of "expert" quest but no actual skill is involved in doing it. It's purely a dice roll, which is stupid after all the work that goes into gathering the actual mats to "try" it.

This one quest is responsible for probably half of the "I QUITS" in AION.

I never understood the whole love some people have for Aions possiblity in you loosing the mats while crafting. Definately a set up to gets one blood boiling..which is probably why they named the quest that. Promised myself never would play a MMO again that punishes crafters with a random dice roll.

• Bama1267Bama1267 Member UncommonPosts: 1,822

Twice ... a long time ago. It was a lack of maturity and composure.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Originally posted by Bama1267

Twice ... a long time ago. It was a lack of maturity and composure.

Yet in some cases you can end up quiting before you *really* go overboard. In my example on the first page, I decided to quit that game in lieu of becoming a jerk in the same fashion that was dealt to me. I'd rather quit then stick around simply to get back at someone.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• ptifouptifou Member UncommonPosts: 31

Im surprised nobody mentioned dark n light... well, forget it, that wasn't even close to being a game actually ^_^

• twstdstrangetwstdstrange Member Posts: 474

Originally posted by Kyleran

Lineage 1 was a rage quit.  I was extremely pissed off that they changed the way my class/build worked, offfered no way to respec (had to totally reroll), cost me 3 months worth of Adena grinding and didn't care what the player base thought about it.

Every city had a message board so I went around posting that I was leaving and invited people to join me in DAOC.  You could also buy scrolls to write messages on and then drop them on the ground (and they would persist indefintely) so I went round the realm dropping them with the same invitation to join me in DAOC.  I was like an evil johnny appleseed, must have left 100 or more everywhere.

I tried to go back a year or so later and found my accounts permabanned.

Haha, that was a brilliant idea!

I like the thought of leaving behind messages and things like that.

Just wanted to say kudos.

• PyndaPynda Member UncommonPosts: 856

Several people in this thread have told stories about long series of events which lead them to quit, eventually, with feelings of genuine anger. So I don't think that "rage quitting" necessarily implies leaving only in some instant pique of juvenile irrationality.

• kivechkivech Member Posts: 58

Well, sure I have 'rage quit' a few times.

Mostly it was because of players that were acting in such an obnoxious way that the game therefore got such a negative association for me, that the fun was out of it.

Come to think of it, to me it is the players that mostly make or break the game. These days (I'm a bit of an old timer in MMO land) it seems to becoming the norm to act like an ass and think that this is 'cool'.

I see gaming in any fashion, being it online or not, or on a PC or otherwise, as a form of entertainment. So it has to be 'fun'. No fun is no entertainment and not worth my money or time. So quite a few times I quit because of something not being fun, and mostly because of players being so repulsive in their actions and attitude that I just quit the game.

But also game mechanics, or bugs made quit a few times. My rage quits were mostly due to other players though.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Aion.

The final straw was when they tried to sell me a seasonal event as an add on.

Money grubbing bastards.

• uquipuuquipu Member Posts: 1,516

Originally posted by Palebane
    I remember when they nerfed the Priest spell, Prayer of Mending right after BC was released. I haven't PvP'd in that game seriously since then. It's very insignificant in context, but at the time it really pissed me off, hehe.

A lot of people quit over nerfs.
    A lot of people quit when a new expansion comes out and the gear they worked so hard on is now worthless.
    I kind of think people are getting more used to these changes. The first set of nerfs and expansion kind of took a lot of people by surprise.

Well shave my back and call me an elf! -- Oghren

• Gardavil2Gardavil2 Member Posts: 394

Have you rage quit an mmo? What sent you over the edge?

Realizing that design for the MMO was "design by Cash Shop sales figures" instead of "Design by/for what's best for the game overall and the Players jointly" as it should be.

Yes that is how I feel about it. If a MMO publisher refuses to design the MMO according to what is best for the game and the Players, but instead designed for what's best for profits ONLY, then as far as I am concerned they might as well shut down their servers. Even if a MMO starts out being designed the way I think they should be, once they adopt the "Design by Cash Shop sales figures" approach, they have lost me. If a MMO is designed the way I believe they should be the game will BE profitable because the Players will pay for it and continue to support it. There are many Players that are looking for a quality MMO and can not find what they seek... a quality MMO.

Stop trying to catch WoW's financial success, it's a fluke, an anomaly, get over it and get back to making great MMOs or lose me as a customer.

Hate me if you will, that's just how I feel about it. That's why I have rage quit a couple of MMOs, and why I am about to leave LotRO.

I am the Player that wonders... "What the %#*& just happened?!"
    "I Believe... There should be NO financial connection or portals between the Real World and the Virtual in MMOs. "
    __Ever Present Cockroach of the MMO Verses__
    ...scurrying to and fro... .munching on bits of garbage... always under foot...

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

Rage Quit.... Mythic devs for DAOC had a talent for driving players away(including me) with their constant nerfs.The last time I left a game was two weeks ago...AOC.The game is a great pve game.I thought I could settle for just that..and I can't.No deep meaningful crafting, housing or faction conflict means the game gets boring fast.Makes me reluctant to even consider gaming.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101

I have gotten angry but I do not quit like that or do destructive things to get myself banned but my husband has .He has a very bad temper even in real life. So MMORPGs are actually dangerous to the inanimate things around him. Yes he is one of those people who kick and break stuff around him when he gets mad. Once he jumped up and down on a lamp because it fell and broke. That was actually quite funny I laughed and laughed of course not in front of him that would have made him madder. Before you think he beats my kids and me no he does not he gets angry with things that is where he loses his temper on.

He rage quitted City of Heroes. I don't know why exactly but he deleted his character and this was very unfair as my son and I could have used the credits on him.

Chamber of Chains
  • Mellow44Mellow44 Member Posts: 599

I have rage quitted EQ 2 back in the fall of 2005 and that was because: 1. the game was pretty dead and 2. the people available to group with wasn't much to socialize with.

I have also yawn quitted many games but I guess that this topic isn't about that. image

All those memories will be lost in time, like tears in the rain.

• kalimahkalimah Member Posts: 44

For me it was ToA for DAOC...

• DaitenguDaitengu Member Posts: 442

I rage quit from Everquest after spending 32 hours in line with other players for one particular drop.  I got it, but sixteen hours of sleep later, I realized how stupid it was, and how the whole game is like that, and just rage quit.

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

One common thing I am realizing as people tell about thier stories.. Some people act as if they are too "mature" for rage quitting (I suppose youtube has something to do with their definition of a ragequit even though most if not all of those silly "I got my WoW account cancelled and this is how I acted" videos are fake") or they say how stupid it is and pointless because they spent X amount of hours doing whatever it was...

The word Ragequit can be applied to ANYTHING... Jobs, Releationships, Cars, Sports... Even though we are talking about MMO's in particular in this forum (yes I know, no need to post under me flaming me for bringing this up) but to say ragequitting is for immature and young people is far from the truth..

Might take me a while to find the story, but I am sure somewhere in modern history a guy "ragequit" his job and proceeded to go grab a gun and take it out on his co-workers, because he couldn't handle the stress..

I have ragequit a few relationships (left in a rage, yes) because I caught them cheating (go ahead, joke away, it happens more often than you think..)

So instead of leaving comments like "I'm too good for ragequit, noobs!" , don't think about it as something that will make you lok bad to all the "cool" people. It's basically when you were made so angry that you moved on because of it.. Not the youtube "smash my keyboard into a million peices while screaming and jamming remote controls up your anus" type garbage...

• dougmysticeydougmysticey Member Posts: 1,176

Originally posted by Vyeth

One common thing I am realizing as people tell about thier stories.. Some people act as if they are too "mature" for rage quitting (I suppose youtube has something to do with their definition of a ragequit even though most if not all of those silly "I got my WoW account cancelled and this is how I acted" videos are fake") or they say how stupid it is and pointless because they spent X amount of hours doing whatever it was...

The word Ragequit can be applied to ANYTHING... Jobs, Releationships, Cars, Sports... Even though we are talking about MMO's in particular in this forum (yes I know, no need to post under me flaming me for bringing this up) but to say ragequitting is for immature and young people is far from the truth..

Might take me a while to find the story, but I am sure somewhere in modern history a guy "ragequit" his job and proceeded to go grab a gun and take it out on his co-workers, because he couldn't handle the stress..

I have ragequit a few relationships (left in a rage, yes) because I caught them cheating (go ahead, joke away, it happens more often than you think..)

So instead of leaving comments like "I'm too good for ragequit, noobs!" , don't think about it as something that will make you lok bad to all the "cool" people. It's basically when you were made so angry that you moved on because of it.. Not the youtube "smash my keyboard into a million peices while screaming and jamming remote controls up your anus" type garbage...

I don't know that I agree with you. I stated I have not rage quit over a game but not because I am too mature. It is because I wll not invest the level of emotional energy it takes to "rage" into a game, MMO or otherwise. That is not to say I have never quit a game due to nerfs, bad community, rules changes, etc. I just have not gotten to a level of RAGE when deciding to go. I have gotten to a level of dissatisfaction that has made me move on and find something else but that is about as strong as it gets for me.

For instance, I decided I did not want to play on the open world PVP servers for AOC because of the rampant spawn camping and other things that ruined the experience so I quit.  Was I unhappy with the way it worked compared to the way I expected it too, yes! Did I express my dissatisfaction to Funcom, yes! Did I rage over it, no.

I guess it is my perception of the word rage and what it means.

From Websters: Rage defined.

1 a : violent and uncontrolled anger b : a fit of violent wrath

I have never felt those things over a game though I would guess some who have invested way to much of thier life in them have.

• QuetosQuetos Member Posts: 48

Quit AoC because I was an MT (guardian) and they decided to max out the death knight - er, dark templar, making him MT. The point of a tank who can't tank in a raid is? Anyone?

And don't go down the 2 handed idea - several runs showed us (three guards in the guild tried pole arms) as not getting anywhere near the dps required to be considered to be a dps class.

Can you believe it? Secondary tank to MT and MT to oblivion... DT's didn't want to tank, tanks couldn't tank, the whole raid group fell to pieces... what a mess! And after releasing a game half complete... I'll never play a Funcom game again!

Yeah, yeah, death knight for wow and you have to go and think: "Oooh, I know, we'll completely scupper our tanks and make the DT's main tanks - oh yes, that'll really get all the wow players to come over and play AoC as apposed to p*ssing every single raid group off who are presently playing the game! Oh my, such a cool idea! Yeah, we'll make millions!!!"

Funcom? FUNCOM??? Cram it I say, CRAM IT!!!!

Stick your Secret World where the sun don't shine!!!!

Hope you go bust. You deserve nothing less!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HUMPH!

• ManJunkManJunk Member Posts: 273

Any mmo that enabled other players to get something that I could not.... as soon as I find this out... the game loses all of its appeal.

It should be common sense but developers still feel it necessary to reward people with items that others can literally NEVER get.

The list is huge.