Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Every MMO population will fall tomorrow at 12AM EST (or slightly earlier).

14567810»

Comments

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Originally posted by Thomas2006

Originally posted by gestalt11

The only thing I like about starcraft is Blizzard ripped off Games Workshop to a lesser extent, although still to a large extent.  The best thing about Blizzard RTS's is that the units say different things when you click on them alot.

Sad thing is that really is not the case..  Blizzard was seeking license from Games Workshop but GW (at the time) did not like what they seen and they felt they did not have enough control over the game. So they ended up denying the license to Blizzard. In return Blizzard made the required changes so that the game would not fall under some sort of gray / black hole area as far as the IP goes. They then released the game and road the wave of success it brought.

One could say its bad luck on GW's part.  As  far the game ripping off something of GW. It does no more then your standard fantasy RPG does DnD. All games start based upon some idea / vision that the creator was inspired by something they seen, experienced, felt, ect.

It's funny because if they really did rip off the idea for SC from GW then that means both of there best titles are basically ripped off lol. They went to the WarHammer guys and wanted to make WarCraft (The RTS) based on their IP. They said no so Bliz changed just enough to get around the licensing and make WarCraft lol. 

Would be funny if it turned out they ripped off another IP for Diablo lol. 

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

RTS means Real Time Strategy but in reality its Rush Time Slaughter...

Someone here that still knows that "Westwood" did a mission based RTS mech game called "Crescent Hawks Revenge" b4 their first hit called "Dune 2" ?

Btw Xfire shows a sharp decline in every MMO activity so prepare for more server merges in the near future ;P

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

I logged into GW and Warhammer. 

I guess some people didn't read this thread to know to not play those games.

• generals3generals3 Member Posts: 3,307

Originally posted by Robokapp

shamelessly going off topic:

Renegade is receiving a "Renegade X" mode that is currently being tested. Westwood's final creation is being updated. The world needs to know.

/off topic end

RIP westwood :(

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt.
    Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.

• Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

Only Blizzard can get away with charging $60 x 3 in the middle of a recession.

I'm not against the game.  I'm just not going to buy it at the price they are asking.  $40 is about the limit I can justify spending on a box right now.

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

• LienhartLienhart Member UncommonPosts: 662

2 million users online in North America.

GG

Wonder what SEA's numbers look like.

I live to go faster...or die trying.
  • VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

I'm not saying SC2's a bad game, but I don't see what's so great about it, either.  Maybe I'm just not a serious fan of the genre, but with all the hype you'd think it were the game to end all other games.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

I really wanna call in sick tomorrow :*(

• MrlogicMrlogic Member Posts: 178

Originally posted by Lienhart

The fact that there are people who do not know makes me very sad. It means they are either kids who never touched SC1 (which then they shouldn't be on the internet <_<) or they were deprived as children.

OR some of us simply dont care :P

• grunt187grunt187 Member CommonPosts: 956

Originally posted by Mrlogic

The fact that there are people who do not know makes me very sad. It means they are either kids who never touched SC1 (which then they shouldn't be on the internet <_<) or they were deprived as children.

OR some of us simply dont care :P

This image

The following statement is false
    The previous statement is true

• riceae02riceae02 Member UncommonPosts: 180

Sorry don't like strategy games.

• uquipuuquipu Member Posts: 1,516

Starcraft I was a huge hit.
    Starcraft II is a huge hit.
    Why is it surprising?
    I played Civilization I and it was a huge hit at the time.
    I play Civilization IV now and it's a huge hit though not as big a hit as Starcraft.

Well shave my back and call me an elf! -- Oghren

• HyprogloHyproglo Member Posts: 5

Well I never did like SC1 so I won't try SC2. I don't realy like any RTS games come to think of it.  They are always the same , build a camp, build an army and attack as freaking fast as you can! I don't call that deprived I started playing pc games at the age of 35 and that was with duke nukem, then diablo , leasure suit larry, elder scrolls ect.. 

Only RTS  ( or close to it) game i liked was the dungeon keeper 1 and 2.

• abbabaabbaba Member Posts: 1,143

I remember playing the original Starcraft after I played through Red Alert and being disappointed. All these RTSes are really the same to me; what does SC2 do to innovate? What is new besides streamlined design and better graphics/cutscenes?

• SauronasSauronas Member Posts: 183

Originally posted by Swanea

I logged into GW and Warhammer. 

I guess some people didn't read this thread to know to not play those games.

Wow...I don't even know what to say to that comment.  Oblivious?  Ignorant?  We'll just say, typical blizzard fanboy...

• HYPERI0NHYPERI0N Member Posts: 3,515

First of all i will say i loved SC1, true it had many aspects that were similar to other RTS games. Such as the whole resource mechanic. SC1 did hoever have 3 factions each of which looked and acted differently and were ballanced. Also the music was great as was the multiplayer. Also i loved how clicking on the units repeatidly gave up some ammusing Eastereggs.

Also concerning SC2 so far i have gotten about 75% of the way through the Terran campain and it is well put together not only are the between mission sections good [they are like the wing commander heart of a tiger game] But the units are very well ballanced and some of the missions are interesting. Example being one mission where every few minuites the lower ground areas got  fludded with lava therefore forcing you to be very carefull with resource extraction and troop movements.

Also as i love to point out blizzard in both wow and SC1 and 2 have pretty much coppied Games workshop material.

WARCRAFT

Orcs are green - games workshop were i belive the first and largly only people who have done this.

Orcs generall look - Same as Games Workshop orcs.

The origonal background story with that portal of evil etc etc.

STARCRAFT

Terran race - now it can be argued that terrans and there generall look coul have come about anyway but i will point out that Starcraft marines look like Space marines fron WH40k.

Zerg - My second favourate race looks VERY similar to what the 40k race looked like back then. Also the zerg overmind and the races basic consume and assimilate behavior is exactly like the hive mind in 40k.

Protoss - My currant favourate race Are basically 40k eldar Especially the idea there devices are powered by Psionic energy.

Dont get me wrong tho i love Both Warcraft and Starcraft franchises [excluding WoW]. I just cant help pointing out what to me seems obviouse.

Another great example of Moore's Law. Give people access to that much space (developers and users alike) and they'll find uses for it that you can never imagine. "640K ought to be enough for anybody" - Bill Gates 1981

• riceae02riceae02 Member UncommonPosts: 180

Does anybody really play strategy games that much?  Thought this was only big in Asia.

BTW to the OP reference the comment about being either a kid or deprived as a child if you don't know; See above ... Does anybody really play strategy games? I'm 50 years old been playing PC games since I was 30 kinda blows your theory, No?

: ) ... Just kidding to those (few) of you in the states who do enjoy Strategy I'm glad u got your game updated. Enjoy!  : )

I'm betting once the initial curiousity is over you'll be lucky to maintain as many playing subscribers as EvE in the U.S.  Maybe Asia will be it's saving grace however.

• arcenemyarcenemy Member Posts: 66

Originally posted by abbaba

what does SC2 do to innovate?

absolutly nothing, but hey, it only costs 160 bucks!

What is new besides streamlined design and better graphics/cutscenes?

and even dumber, less strategical more frantical pewpewpew gameplay. if you abhor RTSs you will love SC2, since its the polar opposite of what RTS games were 15 years ago, when the genre still wasnt blizzard-ed and chimps couldn't play and beat the games...

SC2 is to the RTS's golden age started with C&C, what "dude where's my car" is to the film's golden age started with Citizen Kane

• KniknaxKniknax Member UncommonPosts: 576

Originally posted by arcenemy

SC2 is to the RTS's golden age started with C&C, what "dude where's my car" is to the film's golden age started with Citizen Kane

Quoted for brilliance!

"When people don't know much about something, they tend to fill in the blanks the way they want them to be filled in. They are almost always disappointed." - Will Wright