Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Battlestar Galactica Online: New Screens & Information

SBFordSBFord Associate Editor - News ManagerThe Land of AZPosts: 16,659MMORPG.COM Staff Uncommon

Battlestar Galactica Online publisher, Bigpoint, has released a half dozen new screens and some new information about player and ship customization, missions, XP and more. Battlestar Galactica Online is currently in development at ArtPlant and is touted as being a 'ground breaking browser based MMO'.

• BGO will feature 20 levels. Players will begin as either a human 'nugget' or as a recently created Cylon pilot mind. XP will be gained through the completion of tasks for a player's faction.

• There are two types of missions: Story and Assignments. From the information available, these missions are akin to plot and side quests found in other MMOs.

• Ship Class and Customization:

Each faction in Battlestar Galactica Online has several playable ship classes, divided into three 'tiers' by size (small, medium and large) and role (Offensive, Defensive and Command). Each ship class has a specific number of slots for Ship Systems, which are items that grant ships abilities and bonuses when installed. There are four general categories of ship systems (Weapon, Hull, Engine and Computer) and three sizes (small, medium and large). In addition, most systems have several levels of increasing in power and effectiveness. Characters begin the game with a small ship, but by collecting enough resources can requisition additional ships, and by earning enough XP can qualify to command larger vessels. Eventually, a character can own several ships of different classes. By allocating XP, characters can train the skills required to use additional types and higher levels of ship systems, which can be requisitioned with resources. Battlestar Galactica Online is designed to promote flexibility and freedom of choice for its players and will not forced players into flying particular types or sizes of ship, but there will be advantages for certain types of ships depending on the quest and gameplay situation.

Keep track of Battlestar Galactica's development at the official site and check out the new screens in our BGO gallery.

Associate Editor: MMORPG.com
Follow me on Twitter: @MMORPGMom

Comments

• AlexTheTallAlexTheTall MontrPosts: 174Member

I wounder how this game will turn out... I mean, BG is one of my favorite TV series... So I'll try it, even if it's browser...

• RagemoreRagemore Kalamazoo, MIPosts: 51Member

If browser can produce good frame rates, and graphic detail then I'm all for it. This a very story driven show, I wonder if the missions will match the level of writing that we are already use to.

Rage - Head Honcho of the Revilers
    "Ragemore and Whine Less"

• OzmodanOzmodan Hilliard, OHPosts: 7,193Member Uncommon

A MMO is a huge and expensive project.  I have doubts this company has any clue what they are doing.  Maybe I will be wrong, but the odds are this game will be another in a long line of less than desirable MMO's.  Developers just don't get the complexities involved in designing one.   Everyone wants to do their favorite IP, while only a select few have the wherewith all to do one.

• libranimlibranim Cleveland, OHPosts: 139Member

and f2p

• mcrippinsmcrippins Dallas, TXPosts: 1,071Member Uncommon

Being that BS:G is one of my favorite shows of all time.. I seriously doubt this will live up to any expectations I may have had. Unless you can land on planets, fly around in space with a fleet, have epic battles, and try to establish territories and fight over them.. then I doubt I will try this for more than a day. I'm with Ozmodan in the sense that MMO developers really need to take their time with these games if they are going to be worth a damn. They don't have to kill WoW or anything of that sort. It just has to be a good game and people will play it. But the crap that developers put out these days is unfortunate. Go through the 'game list' section and see how many of those are actually worth your time. 

• znerdznerd ,, NYPosts: 37Member

f2p, browser based.. ssrrsslyyy! battlestar galactica has huge potnetial, why the hell should some waste it? why let someone produce this kind of fail?

• someforumguysomeforumguy HomePosts: 3,543Member Uncommon

Well, I dont see it as a loss really. I love the show, but the story in it is mainly on soap opera lvl. All between key characters in the series. Not very usable for a MMO in which you wont be able to play a main character anyway.

If a MMO would stay true to the show, it would not offer a lot of variety for a MMO.

• Honeymoon69Honeymoon69 USA, AKPosts: 647Member

atm it reminds me of STO

• jnicholajnichola oxford, MSPosts: 118Member

Originally posted by Ozmodan

A MMO is a huge and expensive project.  I have doubts this company has any clue what they are doing.  Maybe I will be wrong, but the odds are this game will be another in a long line of less than desirable MMO's.  Developers just don't get the complexities involved in designing one.   Everyone wants to do their favorite IP, while only a select few have the wherewith all to do one.

Looks like Bigpoint is developing this title themselves and not farming it out.  I wouldn't dismiss this company so easily they have been very successful publishing browser based games for some time now, and while I think this is their first major title release, they have a ton of experience in multiplayer game creation and design.  They won the Lara award this year as a matter of fact, which puts them in pretty fovorable company.

It seems early to tell but they might just nail this one.

• LongswdLongswd No, CAPosts: 155Member

You can easily substitute "Star Trek Online" for "Battlestar Galactica" in that quoted paragraph and that's scary because we all know how STO turned out.