Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Make this game Free to Play already!

Comments

• warrner10warrner10 Member Posts: 18

Big diff of this compared to CO: CoH isnt dying off. If any thing the player numbers have increased since GR came out. Now Issues 19/20 are rdy to address the complaints of high lvls not having anything to do Incarnates system and new "EndGame" content.

This is what i can credit competition for; providing a general idea on how one can improve their game to better keep the player base in their world and not the comp. CO and DCO should help keep CoH alive for quite a while.

• AngelboundAngelbound Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,437

Woa woa woa you guys are way off base have you ever played on virtue? I have been playing on the free trial the server is always in the yellow or red so is freedom, now the exploiters I hear are on freedom mostly so come on over to virtue its much much much better, and people still rp. Anyways I dont know allot about the auction house so I cannot comment on that but a few years ago I never had these issues, and the game is actually far less repetitive now.

Maybe you guys just played it to long but that is no reason to claim the sky is falling and cox is dying its pretty far from dying until a  new super hero mmo comes out that is more innovative with more to do, with better customization, graphics, combat, animations, and unique twists.

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698
    The only thing that could cause CoH to go F2P is DCU. If DCU can steal a lot of subs... which it will... then F2P would make sense. That being said, CoH is still an excellent game which I like a lot.
  • adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

this game already supports instancing when a zone gets to a certain number of users, it needs to go fully serverless, and then maybe a year from now go F2P. 

Hard to say if it will though.  This game has done well, and trust me when i say it's done better than LOTRO, which people on these forums can't stop raving about.  But when a game goes f2p, that means it's really no longer relevant as a 'good' mmo.  Any game that is good enough will be subscription based because the profit margins are just that much stronger.

I know a lot of people will just clap their hands over their ears whenever reading the above, these people can't be helped.  I just wish they'd stop posting their invalid opinions everywhere.

• ScribZScribZ Member Posts: 424

I dont see CoX ever going F2P, its just not NCSoft style. Lineage, Lineage II, Guildwars, Aion, CoX, and soon to be GW2. If they change the model off of monthly sub I'd more bet on them going the Guildwars B2P route over the F2P model of Turbine. That I wouldnt be upset about either. End my monthly sub and give me 2 expansions a year instead of 4 issues for free and I come out about equal in the end. Its where I see NCSoft rolling in the future with most of thier games. Turbine learned they can make moeny with the F2P model and NCSoft is learning they cam make the money on the B2P model.

They both are about the same anyway, just a different way of looking at it. You pay for the game and each expansion in a B2P, you pay for the add-ons and content (ex-pacs) in an item mall on the F2P - Same thing different marketting style. F2P hooks you by getting you in for free and then soaks you to keep playing once your hooked. B2P hooks you with the promiss of a great game and soaks you later with buying further ex-pacs once your hooked. The only difference is B2P has to be able to deliver to get the initial box sales or they dont get the traffic further down the road, which NCSoft has been able to deliver time and again in the past, and I think they know that already too. Personally I think they will prove that to everyone else when GW2 comes out too.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,852

Originally posted by warrner10
    Big diff of this compared to CO: CoH isnt dying off. If any thing the player numbers have increased since GR came out.
    Going Rogue did increase revenue but not by as much as you think.

The quarter preceding Going Rogue revenue was $3.08 million.

The quarter with Going Rogue revenue was $5.04 million.

Yes, thats right. Even with Going Rogue's box sales CoH only managed $5 million in 3 months.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

I've been waiting over the past year, year and half, for the announcement of f2p, since DDO whent f2p.  Now with Lotro, a game I'd gladly play over this for $15 a month (lotro is $10 a month with multi-month subs), going f2p, this game definitely should be the next to go f2p.  It's long overdue.  Going Rogue didn't sell very well I hear, so that has to tell them something.  Really the only thing I like about this game (and lotro) is you get to be a bad guy.  Being bad is fun, being good is work :E

• PhlegethonPhlegethon Member Posts: 26

Originally posted by Gravarg

I've been waiting over the past year, year and half, for the announcement of f2p, since DDO whent f2p.  Now with Lotro, a game I'd gladly play over this for $15 a month (lotro is $10 a month with multi-month subs), going f2p, this game definitely should be the next to go f2p.  It's long overdue.  Going Rogue didn't sell very well I hear, so that has to tell them something.  Really the only thing I like about this game (and lotro) is you get to be a bad guy.  Being bad is fun, being good is work :E

I don't know where you heard that Going rogue didn't sell very well. But the servers ar still busy at peak hours. Subs are $15 a month is you pay monthly, but the price scales down if you sub multi-months.

The game is not dying.

Now, with Going Rogue and side-switching, you don't have to choose to be a villain or a hero, you can be both.

• drake_hounddrake_hound Member Posts: 773

Originally posted by Phlegethon

Originally posted by Gravarg

I don't know where you heard that Going rogue didn't sell very well. But the servers ar still busy at peak hours. Subs are $15 a month is you pay monthly, but the price scales down if you sub multi-months.

The game is not dying.

Now, with Going Rogue and side-switching, you don't have to choose to be a villain or a hero, you can be both.

Going Rogue and 1 emote pack and 1 origin didn´t increase there quarter margin this year , as much as City of Villains did.

So yes they made some profit , but not by a longshot close to city of villains , consider going rogue is the 2nd expansion they ever did , it doesn´t bode well for future expansions investment .

Sorry thats 1 Expansion (and i bought 2 of them) 1 party pack (emote pack that most people thankfully skipped) 1 origin pack (that one was beter value for money and nifty aura´s )

Sorry they messed up big time this time , the should have just come and tell the community that . instead of hiding it away .

Yes they made more money then last year quarter , but compared to all they did to pull it off .

Its by no means close enough to what they should have gotten .

Well the good story is offcourse by people quitting , do they finally realise fitness pool inherent  is needed for newplayers.

Sad 2 years ago i told them that >.<

• HoplitesHoplites Member CommonPosts: 463

Succesfull MMO's like WoW and CoX don't go towards F2P models.

• OSF8759OSF8759 Member Posts: 284

Except that LOTRO, a very successful MMO, did just that. The whole "Only failing games to F2P" just isn't true.

Originally posted by OSF8759

Except that LOTRO, a very successful MMO, did just that. The whole "Only failing games to F2P" just isn't true.

LOTRO was a successful mmo for a couple years but then it became unsuccessful (not enough subs to cover expenses and make a profit) and had to go F2P.
  • KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Originally posted by Hoplites

You cannot compare CoH to WoW. Most of the time there is only 300-800 online per server unless it's around the time of a new issue or expansion. The EU servers on the other hand are lucky to muster 300 on a busy day.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010

Originally posted by jpnole

It was a successful mmo for a couple years but then it became unsuccessful and had to go F2P.

I don't think that's remotely true.

As a person who has played LOTRO since closed beta and who has seen ups and downs in population in relation to expansions, addtional content, etc, I would say that DDO needed to try something to bolster numbers, the f2p thing worked and then the people at WB and Turbine decided that they could bring in much more money and people to the f2p model.

Heck, I remember when I spoke with Jeffrey Steefel at the time and he said that for DDO they were prepared to lose people but were also hoping that they would at least attract a decent amount of people to give the game a try. What happened was they lost far less people than they thought and not only made more money than they thought but also gained more subscriptions because of the move.

So when seeing results like this, "why not" take the gamble and apply it to their other game.

People seem to have very short memories around here but I can attest to how low the population was before Moria. Moria comes and "whoosh" huge amount of people.

What it comes down to is that players want to play new content. If they have run through the new content then there is only so much for them to do before they decide to take a break and do something else while they wait for additional content.

Heck, I did that. I'm not wedded to any game where I feel I have to stick around if there is nothing of interest for me to do. But as soon as there is new content I'm there. Other people are like that as well. The issue is whether or not a developer looks like they are actively updatng their game and whether that game looks like i thas longevity. If it doesn't then it's hard to attract new people.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

LOTRO was a successful mmo for a couple years but then it became unsuccessful (not enough subs to cover expenses and make a profit) and had to go F2P.

Except that lotro was doing just fine.

A hint for you who cant seem to grasp it, FTP =/= failure.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

Originally posted by Kabaal

Originally posted by Hoplites

You cannot compare CoH to WoW. Most of the time there is only 300-800 online per server unless it's around the time of a new issue or expansion. The EU servers on the other hand are lucky to muster 300 on a busy day.

Actually you can compare CoH to WoW - they are the only 2 mmos left from 2004 that haven't gone F2P and still turn a profit.
    Originally posted by warmaster670

Then why does WoW, CoH and every big mmo title coming out in 2011 charge $15 a month to play (GW2 doesn't count since they've always been F2P)? F2P is the graveyard where old P2P mmos go to die.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010

Originally posted by warmaster670

Then why does WoW, CoH and every big mmo title coming out in 2011 charge $15 a month to play (GW2 doesn't count since they've always been F2P)? F2P is the graveyard where old P2P mmos go to die.

Well, they aren't out yet so I would wait and see what they come up with for pricing schemes.

It seems it's a bit of a gamble besides having to change things in the game to allow for some sort of f2p system and of course one that will make it worthwhile.

Remember, Turbine is getting a lot of flack for spending time changing the game over to the f2p model and not adding another large proper expansion.

There is also a stigma in the west that surrounds the f2p model. So far DDO and LOTRO seem to be doing well but I imagine that any company would like to see what happens in the long haul.

Additionally, who is to say that WoW or even NC Soft isn't looking into changing their business model at some point?

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • HoplitesHoplites Member CommonPosts: 463

Going from 300k subs and then dropping to sub 100k forced them to re-evaluate their business model.  CoX has stayed around the 90k mark, and it if were to drop just as much like to the 30k range maybe.  Then again NCSOFT isn't likely to make it a F2P as that isn't really their style anyways as L2 NA easily has less than 10k subs and is still P2P.

• alderdalealderdale Member Posts: 301

Originally posted by BigBroly

I would definitely play again if it were free to play, but I don't see the point of paying $15 a month anymore for this game. 

All this means to me is you have more time than money, and are willing to spend it doing something thats not worth paying for.........

• AngelboundAngelbound Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,437

You guys obviously do not even know enough about going rogue, it nis 1-20 content, 2 new power sets, I believe more costume pieces and the ability to play heroes and villians on either side now, but the trick is that the expansion was not finished therefor they are releasing more and more content for going rogue, they just released level 50 content and people are playing the hek out of it now would be the time going rogue is worth it.

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

If you haven't played CoX in a year or more, please grab a free trial and try it out before trying to sound like you have an informed opinion. Between the last two issues and the new expansion, they've added a massive amount of changes, content additions, etc. I'm having more fun with the game now that I have in a long, long time. It's a vastly different game than it used to be.

AE farming hasn't been a problem in something like 2-3 issues, for example.

<3

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by dreamscaper

If you haven't played CoX in a year or more, please grab a free trial and try it out before trying to sound like you have an informed opinion. Between the last two issues and the new expansion, they've added a massive amount of changes, content additions, etc. I'm having more fun with the game now that I have in a long, long time. It's a vastly different game than it used to be.

AE farming hasn't been a problem in something like 2-3 issues, for example.

All that is surely true (was a while ago for me) but when CO goes F2P it might be worth at least to consider the same thing, chances are that many people will move because of that.

The games are pretty similar and if CO aren't too greedy (well, they probably are and in that case CoX can stay as P2P) people might actually move, there are not a huge percentage that play superhero games. DCUs launch might not help either even if I think they aim more for the action MMO and console players.

Still, Paragon would be stupid if they at least not considered F2P, have some plans for it and see what will happen when CO changes to it.

• BigBrolyBigBroly Member Posts: 31
    It's about time this game went free to play!
  • cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832

The only thing that could cause CoH to go F2P is DCU. If DCU can steal a lot of subs... which it will... then F2P would make sense. That being said, CoH is still an excellent game which I like a lot.
    I decided to bring this oldie but goodie back. It is lol worthy.

BOOYAKA!

This discussion has been closed.