Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Not being a fanboy but what beats WoW?

i00x00ii00x00i Member Posts: 243

Now before people start flaming the hell out of this topic let me just say that there are MMORPG's that I would consider better than WoW. However, after playing most other MMORPG's I've found that nothing really beats the polished feel that WoW has going for it. Keep in mind that WoW is not my favorite MMORPG but I'd be lieing if I said I don't enjoy the hell out of playing it.

Gameplay mechanics seem absolutely perfect to me. The way that the character moves and interacts with enviornments is flawless, which makes PvP a lot more fun. Questing isn't all that fun as most of it includes grinding in different shapes and forms but again it has a nice polished feel to it that no other MMORPG seems to pull off. Take a good look at all of the other MMORPG's out today and tell me that they can compete with WoW as a final polished product. Everything else has something wrong with it in some way wether it be un-immersive gameplay, un-polished gameplay, buggy gameplay, buggy graphics, etc.

P.S. can't wait for GW 2!

Most people go through life pretending to be a boss. I go through life pretending I'm not.

Comments

• AeroangelAeroangel Member UncommonPosts: 498

Guild Wars 1 seems pretty polished to me, but I agree I've tried a ton of MMOs and I think WoW is one of the most polished games. But outside of that type of game, games like leauge of legends and various side scrolling MMORPGs are very polished in their own way. 

--------------------------
    Playing:
    FFXIV, TERA, LoL, and HoTS
    My Rig:
    GPU: GeForce GTX 770, CPU: i7-4790K, Memory: 16 GB RAM

• ZookzZookz Member Posts: 244

WoW has really spoiled me when it comes to polish and volume of content. I've yet to play another game where I was instantly engrossed. 

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

I've had a difficult time in deciding whether to reply to this particular thread or not.  It has all the makings of being being bait for a troll/flame war.  Still, I'm going to go with the late hour as my excuse for exhibiting a lack of common sense in replying to it.

First of all, the graphics/animations/etc have been the biggest turn off for me in WoW since beta.  I always thought the Fisher-Price graphics and Playskool animations would be the death of the game early on.  Some like the graphics, some enjoy the game regardless of the graphics, and others still will not touch the game because of them.  Add in the various addons for the game where people have heavily customized the UI - some folks have tailored the way certain aspects of the game look to better suit them.

All in all though, what game is pulling in the kind of revenue that WoW is?  It was not released bug free, there are still patches to fix things, etc - but with the amount of revenue they have - they have the money to invest in trying to curtail issues in a manner that eludes many games with a much (much, much) smaller subscriber base.

WoW is a game lobby though, no?  You quick grind through 80 levels of tutorial to be able to grind about the equivalent number of levels of gear through BGs/Arena/Random Heroics/Raiding.

I would compare it more to those FPS/RTS/TPS games than I would an actual MMORPG.  It lacks far too much otherwise, and all the polish one may attribute to various areas of the game simply do not make up for that.

It would be difficult to find a game that could beat WoW in that apples to apples comparison, since it is really a case of apples to oranges.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• Merlin1977Merlin1977 Member Posts: 168

Having played through WoW for 5 years it is a grind once you hit the level cap, especially now that everyone uses the stupid gearscore addon, and even then some people ask for stupidly high numbers to get into pug raids.  For that reason and the fact i was totally bored with WoW i quit.

To answer the op question then theres some good alternatives, Guild Wars as a previous poster has mentioned is worth a try, its nice and casual, pick up and play type of mmo.  I enjoy playing it myself and find that the community ingame is very helpful towards people that have only just started to play. 

Lord of the Rings online is probably the best pve orientated mmo currently on the market, never really got into because i'm not a big fan of the ip.

EVE online is the mmo i cam currently playing and have been for the past 8 months, i find it very rewarding but it's slow pace isn't for everyone.  The good thing about it, is that you can still improve even if you're not playing the game because your skills train in real time - hence why it's slow.  You will also find that the pvp side is very harsh when you first try it, but if you can come to learn from mistakes then its very enjoyable, unlike other mmo's when you die in EVE you lose your ship!  

All in all, depends on what you're looking for to be honest.

• madcraggymadcraggy Member Posts: 26

To OP, loads of games for loads of people.  I personally can't stand WOW, but love loads of other mmo's and think they are vastly superior.  That's just my opinion though.

• PryettaPryetta Member UncommonPosts: 260

What beats WoW? Whatever you feel like playing, whether it be some little kiddy MMO or some blood-gore mess. An MMO or a Console. It is your personal opinion.

• ZarcobZarcob Member Posts: 207

Originally posted by i00x00i

A dead horse?

The morning sun has vanquished the horrible night.

• BarakIIIBarakIII Member Posts: 800

In terms of the smoothness of gameplay, WoW beats every other game out there, hands down. It just feels so good and smooth, nothing else comes close. Every other game I've played tends to feel a bit clunky in comparison. It's one of the things that keeps bringing me back, but not really enough to keep me playing long term. I've yet to find any MMO that does that. I usually end up just hopping in between what few favorites I have. I'm hoping I'll find a home in TOR, but am also wary lest I be disappointed in that game.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Any game a player personally likes playing more than WoW "beats" WoW, to that player.

Having said that, just because WoW isn't to a player's taste, doesn't make it a bad game.

MMO players are a diverse bunch, with diverse tastes.  People treat their personal opinions as fact far too often.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• Alchem1stAlchem1st Member UncommonPosts: 16

PVE wise nothing beats FFXI, ive played both wow and ffxi and it does not compare to how addictive the whole world is.

PVP GW is 1000 times supperior to WOW seing as how you dont need to nerf a class every month and there is far more variety in build choice.

• striker09dxstriker09dx Member UncommonPosts: 197

Originally posted by Alchem1st

PVE wise nothing beats FFXI, ive played both wow and ffxi and it does not compare to how addictive the whole world is.

PVP GW is 1000 times supperior to WOW seing as how you dont need to nerf a class every month and there is far more variety in build choice.

The this guy's post: Every other game beats Wow in one or two categories.

FF XI beats wow in classes and pve, another game beats wow in pvp, graphics and the list goes on, but the thing is that, the one field these games are better at, the worst they are at other field compared to wow.

I say WoW is a jack of all trades, satisfy the the major crowd at almost everything, but if you are a pure pvper/RPer/ graphic whore etc, there might be some other game that will satisfy you more in your chosen fetish..

• antilegitantilegit Member UncommonPosts: 20

polished side scroller reminds me of lunia.  that was a great game where you had to memorize the boss' movement patterns in order to conquer it as a team.  

unfortunately, that game spreads out the players too far and it's boring as heck to play on your own.

ffxi... was not a good game. it's a grind game where you sit in the same spot using the same battle sequence for 8-10 hours straight.  

i can't imagine how you could could compare that to wow.  

remember how in WoW, you would actually move around in the dungeon when you fight?

in FFXI, player attention is treated like some bizarre and unnecessary feature.  you could play FFXI with your eyes closed as long as you had your sound on.

even if i am a blizzard fan boy, i've played and enjoyed every final fantasy from 2-12. this is NOT a blizzard bias.

• summitussummitus Member UncommonPosts: 1,414

There are many games out there that are as good as if not better than WoW, but with so many people being blinded by the initial Ground Zero Explosin of WoW , anything else has a hard time getting noticed ..... that being said WoW " is " great achievment and a great game ( if its your kind of game that is ).

I do believe SWTOR will be huge though ......

• sultharsulthar Member Posts: 298

Nice post OP ! i brings out all the Wow haters... you could have named the post if you are a wow hater post here and it wouldnt work better !

Hurray for the op !

• SpezzSpezz Member Posts: 141

Sulthar, so far for the most part I think it's been a discussion and not hating/trolling.

Nice post op and subsequent replies.

• CodenakCodenak Member UncommonPosts: 418

What beats WoW?

Anything that someone does in preference to playing WoW.

That could be a very very long list, or a short list, depending on the person.

• PhilbyPhilby Member Posts: 849

Originally posted by Zarcob

Originally posted by i00x00i

A dead horse?

Well played.

WOW isnt great because it has 12 million players. WOW has 12 million players because its great.

• just2duhjust2duh Member Posts: 1,290

Personally just about anything beats wow for me. Actually bought the game when it first came out, and didn't even use all my free time that came with it.

I've been a F2Per ever since and even though a large majority of f2p games copy it completly, they still seem more interesting to me. Often each individual f2p game offers some unique feature(s) that make it a slightly better game imo (like RoM's dual classes), they also offer the same basic expirence/gameplay - for free, so I don't see why I should be paying monthly to end up bored of it after a few weeks.

• i00x00ii00x00i Member Posts: 243

Originally posted by BarakIII

In terms of the smoothness of gameplay, WoW beats every other game out there, hands down. It just feels so good and smooth, nothing else comes close. Every other game I've played tends to feel a bit clunky in comparison. It's one of the things that keeps bringing me back, but not really enough to keep me playing long term. I've yet to find any MMO that does that. I usually end up just hopping in between what few favorites I have. I'm hoping I'll find a home in TOR, but am also wary lest I be disappointed in that game.

That's all I meant, the smoothness of gameplay. To most of the people trolling and flaming on here had you actually read my post (god for bid) you would have caught that. Of course there are better games but I'm looking at one aspect.

Most people go through life pretending to be a boss. I go through life pretending I'm not.

• hcoelhohcoelho Member UncommonPosts: 529

IMO Lotro beats WoW, They are even in alot of aspects but the game as a hole is much better than WoW. The game IS polished, the comunity is amazing, the quests are waaaay superior than WoW quests, the graphics are MUCH better and the classes are also better (IMO).

The only thing WoW has better than LOTRO (IMO) > Druid (one of the best class i've ever played), Customer service, End-game Raids (not imo, taken from the majority voice, can't have an opinion about that, never been there) and PVP.

Guess thats all...

I'm not a WoW Hater nor a LOTRO fanboy that wants WoW to die !  As i said, i've played WoW and i enjoyed it.  Till the boredown came and i felt the world blend and lifeless, the quests getting repetitive and meaningless , reading about end-game and the Grind for Epic Gear also helped my decision to quit.

My thoughts =)

• sultharsulthar Member Posts: 298

Originally posted by Spezz

Sulthar, so far for the most part I think it's been a discussion and not hating/trolling.

Sure and the DEAD HORSE reply aint a hate post? or the guys that agrees with it? or is it just a new game that came out that was named dead horse?

• PhilbyPhilby Member Posts: 849

Originally posted by sulthar

Originally posted by Spezz

Sure and the DEAD HORSE reply aint a hate post? or the guys that agrees with it? or is it just a new game that came out that was named dead horse?

For those that "just dont get it". Whipping a dead horse is a term used for something that has been beaten to death and really has no need of being entertained yet again.  Thanks for playing.

WOW isnt great because it has 12 million players. WOW has 12 million players because its great.

• makiimakii Member Posts: 280

If it was your first mmorpg, then NOTHING will beat it EVER.

• LotosSlayerLotosSlayer Member Posts: 247

Originally posted by makii

If it was your first mmorpg, then NOTHING will beat it EVER.

Nope, I've converted many people who started with WoW.

• LotosSlayerLotosSlayer Member Posts: 247

FFXI, Anarchy Online, DaoC, EQ, AC, L2, SWG. All better than WoW.

Gameplay and fun > polish and graphics