Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Five Reasons to Be Stoked for The Old Republic

Comments

• EvileEvile Member Posts: 534

"It's Star Wars and it's Bioware...."

Not really. Bioware did NOT design the graphics engine. It is Heroes Journey reskinned.

Very lazy choice when you consider the massive budget. Bioware could have had such more of a game if they designed their own engine.

This game is not Star Wars, it is Star WoWs.

No thanks!

• musicmannmusicmann Member UncommonPosts: 1,095

I really can't see the point in an article of this nature. You are either stoked about TOR or not. Me personally, i'm stoked and can't wait to get my hands on it. Even with the game having some things i would rather be a little differant, that stuff doesn't matter. I'm a huge SW fan and to be able to play a new MMO of this concept is pure win for me.

Everyone has differant taste's, like's and dislike's. Just because i'm a chevy guy, i'm not gonna go around and try and persuade others to buy a chevy. I can't even understand why for some or even maybe the majority, it is so important in the MMO community to try and win over everyone to love or play a particular game. Does one game have to be the end all be all of the genre.

There are many games on the market that have small to large communities that love the game world that they play in. They love the personal communication they get from the dev team and are perfectly happy. Of course, then there is the anomaly that is WOW. I guess this is where the whole every game that comes out has to be the one that is the WOW KILLER, and must obtain 11 million subs to be any good.

This type of thinking is such and crock. Good games in the beginning are one's that are polished and work the way they are supposed to. Ones that have a solid and strong foundation, that can be built upon with future growth in mind. If it is built well, people will buy it and play it. Does this though, equate to millions and millions of subs, of course not.

What it does mean is that, it seems Bioware is taking the route of polish and strong foundation with TOR, so however many people end up playing the game, it doesn't matter as long as they are having fun on a daily basis.

• NinjaGazNinjaGaz Member UncommonPosts: 53

I think the game will have a decent story. Dragon Age got me hooked, but their other games didn't.

My main concern is that the gameplay itself looks like any other MMO. A lot have people who are into MMOs have already played 3 years+ of the same old thing. For me, every MMO that comes out just appears to be the same thing... nothing new or exciting ever comes out... and for every game that plays the same as the last, my excitement dies even more. The rush for release is always a killer too as it takes soooo long to build content for an MMO that companies inevitably release as soon as a game is playable instead of waiting until its refined. 3 months of pure refinement is worth many more months worth of $$$ from players.

MMOs aren't dead, but for me personally - they are on their last legs.

• kalarenkalaren Member Posts: 83

Originally posted by Vinterkrig

Originally posted by kalaren

Originally posted by handheld

#5 ) Personal Story for Your Character - Nope and no thanks, most people don't even care about the stories in MMOs, 

When you say most people your referring to yourself as multiple persons correct? Last time i checked you didnt speak for "most" people and i happen to like a good written story no matter if its an mmorpg or a single player rpg.

When you say "most" people, you are referring to yourself correct? Or are you doing the same thing I did and calling yourself correct and me wrong? Just wondering...

No where does he say he speaks for anyone other than himself, he states a fact that you do not speak for most people. You on the other hand, "most people don't even care". And guess what I do care if there's a good story in an MMO.

Ya I misread it, I failed. Honestly in all my years of gaming, doing random quests with tons of people.. I've never heard anyone say hold up I'm reading this quest's story. I'm not say there aren't any.. but I bet a lot of people could give a crap. Though the voice overs might help (books on cd/tape? lol)

I doubt many would argue that the average quest is boring, even more so when you are indifferent towards the lore. Personalizing seems to be how they're trying to make it more interesting though. The companion characters are probably part of the story pull. Some people get really attached to their characters so I can understand using that to their advantage, especially since they are critically acclaimed for story. I hope it works out because I want more interesting stories in MMOs and games in general.

• MoretrinketsMoretrinkets Member Posts: 730

#5 ) Personal Story for Your Character - Nope and no thanks, most people don't even care about the stories in MMOs, I doubt they will bring this back to life, as its far been lost over the years, and most of the people involved in MMOs prefer the social aspects rather than the story aspects.

#4) Voice Acting - The voice acting will be cool for a day, then skipped by a good % of the player base, because they'll want to play not watch a ugly interactive cartoon.

#3) Companion Characters -  People in current day MMOs are OBSESSED with pets, so this is prob gonna be a epic win on their part, or possibly a fail because its a person rather than a pet, who knows.. I don't get it, not personally a fan, but this fits well with the single player aspect the game is pushing forward.

#2)Player ships as housing - Its a alright concept, though I'm pretty sure people would have much rather had a community of housing rather than a ship all by their lonesome, again, current day MMOs (WOW) is about the social aspect of being around people.. and frankly segregating people to their own private location tends to make places a deserted waste land (DAoC is a good example .. when housing went in, the capital cities were empty.. WoW has no housing, capital cities are jam packed)

#1) It's Star Wars and Its Bioware - No its STAR WARS, frankly who the hell cares if its BioWare.. woooo single player game company is making an MMO!!!! SWEET BRO! If it was BioWare making hmm lets see "Bruce Lee World Online" or something that wasn't Star Wars , no one would give a flying shit if it was made by BioWare, the sole reason this is gigantic is ONLY because it is Star Wars. I'd be willing to be MOST people interested in this game, have never played a BioWare game before, and never heard of the company prior to this game.

Anyhow, Wold of Star Wars looks like it'll be a decent casual game for me if TERA fails, or something like Earth Rise never comes out (or sucks).

Agree.  Regarding #4, I hope not to go through voice acting in every single quest, specially the generic ones that send you to kill X amount of rats/spiders.  If I want to play a single player RPG I would play Elder Scrolls. And about #1, I bet  Bioware rather would make a single player game out of Bruce Lee. It is the Stars Wars IP the selling point here. I just hope the game doesn't end up like STO.

• Devildog1Devildog1 Member Posts: 494

Originally posted by conanowns

#5 ) Personal Story for Your Character - Nope and no thanks, most people don't even care about the stories in MMOs, I doubt they will bring this back to life, as its far been lost over the years, and most of the people involved in MMOs prefer the social aspects rather than the story aspects.

#4) Voice Acting - The voice acting will be cool for a day, then skipped by a good % of the player base, because they'll want to play not watch a ugly interactive cartoon.

#3) Companion Characters -  People in current day MMOs are OBSESSED with pets, so this is prob gonna be a epic win on their part, or possibly a fail because its a person rather than a pet, who knows.. I don't get it, not personally a fan, but this fits well with the single player aspect the game is pushing forward.

#2)Player ships as housing - Its a alright concept, though I'm pretty sure people would have much rather had a community of housing rather than a ship all by their lonesome, again, current day MMOs (WOW) is about the social aspect of being around people.. and frankly segregating people to their own private location tends to make places a deserted waste land (DAoC is a good example .. when housing went in, the capital cities were empty.. WoW has no housing, capital cities are jam packed)

#1) It's Star Wars and Its Bioware - No its STAR WARS, frankly who the hell cares if its BioWare.. woooo single player game company is making an MMO!!!! SWEET BRO! If it was BioWare making hmm lets see "Bruce Lee World Online" or something that wasn't Star Wars , no one would give a flying shit if it was made by BioWare, the sole reason this is gigantic is ONLY because it is Star Wars. I'd be willing to be MOST people interested in this game, have never played a BioWare game before, and never heard of the company prior to this game.

Anyhow, Wold of Star Wars looks like it'll be a decent casual game for me if TERA fails, or something like Earth Rise never comes out (or sucks).

No story in a MMO makes them shallow and have no meaning thats what bioware is trying to do with thier story. They got ballz for trying it and they got the resources to accomplish it. Anyways I think youre wrong when you say that people are interested in this only because its star wars.....star wars in video games mostly suck donkey ballz. The first star wars mmo was good until lucasarts and soe completely fubar'ed it completely. Bioware is a big part  of why this game is getting so much hype. Put star wars and bioware together and you got mega hype as we see it has now.

And honestly if you are a gamer and havnt heard of bioware youre missing out on some great games.

I gotta agee Bioware has put out some awesome titles! Oblivion anyone!

• VegettaVegetta Member Posts: 438

1 Gameplay - is it fun/fluid/bug free
    2 endgame - Raid or reroll = pass. WIll there be a lot of different endgame activities?
    3 Crafting - Can i actually make items people want to use and will the finished product be worth more than the materials used to create it.
    4 PVP - is it fun and balanced. Is it a mindless Zergfest? Will PVE gear give non raiders an unfair pvp advantage?
    5 customization - will I look like everyone else? Will I look like a clown or a skittle?

STar Wars is a bonus but not a slam dunk (Warhammer)
    BIoware... Meh its their first MMO
    Ship/housing... cool on the surface but will there be space combat? Can you craft on your ship? WIll your ship provide extra storage/act as a bank?
    Story... I could never get into game lore really - Its more about doing my own thing than following some linear deal where you are doing exactly the same thing everyone else is doing...
    Voiceover...turned off - reading text is much faster.... Besides it interferes with Vent

Since my 1-5 haven't been answered I am still on the fence about this game.

• OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034

Originally posted by Vegetta

Voiceover...turned off - reading text is much faster.... Besides it interferes with Vent

See, the way my mind works, it is Ventrilo that interferes with the voiceovers, so fuck Ventrilo.

I will not use Ventrilo in any game in which audio matters, be it voice acting, music, or the footsteps eight feet behind me.

The game is a hell of a lot more important to me than the voices of drunks, potheads, and generic idiots as recorded by a $10 microphone. Disembowel me with a wooden cooking spoon.

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • gotanksgotanks Member UncommonPosts: 16

Dude, Oblivion was not Bioware, it was Bethesda and 2k Games......

Originally posted by Devildog1

Originally posted by conanowns

No story in a MMO makes them shallow and have no meaning thats what bioware is trying to do with thier story. They got ballz for trying it and they got the resources to accomplish it. Anyways I think youre wrong when you say that people are interested in this only because its star wars.....star wars in video games mostly suck donkey ballz. The first star wars mmo was good until lucasarts and soe completely fubar'ed it completely. Bioware is a big part  of why this game is getting so much hype. Put star wars and bioware together and you got mega hype as we see it has now.

And honestly if you are a gamer and havnt heard of bioware youre missing out on some great games.

I gotta agee Bioware has put out some awesome titles! Oblivion anyone!

Dude, Oblivion was not Biwoare, it was Bethesda and 2K Games......

• gordunkgordunk Member CommonPosts: 114

#1 reason not to play ToR

It's a generic MMO that was reskinned for starwars.

What a disappointment.  Not that I should be surprised from a company that reskins the same game over and over again every time they release it.  They even used their retarded conversation system for the Sonic RPG...

I assumed that was his way of saying Bethesda > BioWare. There's something of a fan feud, not unlike what there once was between Black Isle fans and BioWare fans, and it essentially boils down to the themepark/sandbox insanity on the MMO front.

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon

Ok this poster is obviously a WoW player that grinds 50-100 random dungeons per day just so he can get the next tier armor.

#5 - The statement that nobody cares about storyline is absurd, you are basing this off the fact that most MMOs have strayed away from any good storyline, which to you MUST mean that no player cares about storyline. If you read forums of nearly every game out or coming out, people crave storyline structure in MMOs. The problem that arises is when a developer cannot make the storyline streamline with the social world as a whole. An example is Guildwars, you can play the storyline all the way through without speaking with anyone, thus making it a single player game hosted on a multiplayer server. All of your comments about this original article are based off of your view of the top MMOs out right now, which are ALL complete grind fests. Instead of bashing a developer for trying to introduce storyline, why not embrace something that may change the way MMOs are played.

#4 - The voice acting will be nice, but it is likely most people will skip the voices on their second characters.

#3 - Companion characters will be a great addition, because Bioware has stated they will serve valuable purposes for grouping or pvp, whereas games like Guildwars that have companions basically allow you to solo the entire game.

#2 - I agree that if they segregate player ships to basically being instanced behind a hangar door, that will be a bit bogus, but we will have to see what social aspects they add to ships..

#1 - This is the most absurd statement you could make. People only care about this game because its Star Wars? Completely FALSE. People actually care MORE about this game because its Bioware. Yes the Star Wars title makes it even MORE appealing, but hearing that Bioware is making an MMO in general was some of the hottest news on the MMO internet when it was found out before they announced it was Star Wars. Bioware has created, debatively, the best true RPGs ever made for the PC (or any system in my opinion). THis list includes: Baldurs Gate 1 + 2, Neverwinter Nights 1 + 2, Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic, Jade Empire, Mass Effect 1 + 2, and Dragon Age. This developer has never received poor ratings for any of these games, and have set the bar with each game release for RPG gameplay and storyline. One could successfully argue that Bioware are the kings of RPGs. Anyone who doesnt put a faith and get even a little excited that this company is making a Massive Multiplayer RPG, they need serious counseling. Here is an equation/analogy that may help you understand. Blizzard = never made a bad game. Blizzard releases great game after great game, then decides to make an MMO based on a popular title. Blizzard (perfect company) + popular title = The most successful MMO of all time. Bioware = never made a bad game. Bioware releases great game after great game, then decides to make an MMO based on a popular title. Bioware (perfect company) + popular title = ???? What do you think....

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

One reason, which is enough, not to be stoked about the old republic: Another instanced, themepark, linear multiplayer game that pretends to be an MMORPG.

• AlexTheTallAlexTheTall Member Posts: 174

Reply to poster 1 about us not knowing any other BIoWare game... : Well Mass Effect was indeed a very good game (1 and 2)

• CacaphonyCacaphony Member Posts: 738

Why does anyone need reasons or justification to play a freakin game? 

either

1.You are going to play it for your own reasons.

or

2. You are not gonna play it for your own reasons.

Pretty simple eh?

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Since this game is well over a year before it is released, I would think all your points are pure speculation.  Who knows what the game will be like when it is released, most certainly not anyone who got to try out their sample at E3.

You want to start hyping it, try next summer or fall, it won't be released till fall at the earliest.

• gorthoxgorthox Member Posts: 27

So, there's not a single MMO feature to be stoked about?

• Originally posted by Vinterkrig

If you haven't played a Bioware game, then you are definitely not an RPG fan. I doubt there is a single RPG fan who doesn't know and respect Bioware for the brilliant games they've released. There are two companies that have never released a game which was even remotely disappointing,  and one of them is Bioware.

But you might have a point. We are talking about MMORPG players and we all know they don't care about the RPG part of MMORPG -_-

Originally posted by ocbdare

If you haven't played a Bioware game, then you are definitely not an RPG fan. I doubt there is a single RPG fan who doesn't know and respect Bioware for the brilliant games they've released. There are two companies that have never released a game which was even remotely disappointing,  and one of them is Bioware.

But you might have a point. We are talking about MMORPG players and we all know they don't care about the RPG part of MMORPG -_-

"We are talking about MMORPG players and we all know they don't care about the RPG part of MMORPG" <---- TRUE STATEMENT lol, maybe Bioware will convince people that they actually should start caring about the RPG in MMORPG

Indeed. It is precisely because this is the first MMO of an RPG developer that I'm stoked. Star Wars is very far from the top of my list of good sci-fi settings and I have to try to become a 12 year old again to enjoy it.

What I've been whining about MMORPGs (better termed GMUDs, honestly) lacking for the last decade is exactly what single-player RPGs have excelled at since Baldur's Gate, with BioWare leading the charge and carrying the banner.

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310

Auto attack, classes linked to factions, classes pulled directly out of the first starwars moveies, auto attack, trying to make every encounter "epic" thus making nothing epic...  theres nothing to be really excited about. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Villnilla MMO with a Starwars skin. If I do play it, it will only be because bio ware made it and thats only until I "beat the game" 

As one of the commentators said "WoW with Lightsabers" is very fitting for this game. You would think Biowear would have made a more engaging MMO since they make games with lots of sandbox elements. Oh well, heres hoping that Bethesda MMO and Fallout Online will live up. 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• KingscifiKingscifi Member UncommonPosts: 21

Originally posted by painbreaker

oh man, oh man... comparing a game with WoW... why does it always have to be WoW...

Comparing it with older games like Guild Wars, Everquest, Dungeons&Dragons or whatever would be ok, but with WoW... in my opinion WoW isn't really a MMORPG... it's just a Massive - Online - Game.

just my 2 cents

And I'm not able to say something about the 5 Points because I haven't had a hand on SW:ToR yet and I won't say this is good or bad when I haven't tested it out.

Like guild wars? didnt guild wars come out after WoW? And for F sack people WoW is the biggest MMO out there so when people compare something to it, it has meaning....

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

Originally posted by gotanks

Originally posted by ocbdare

"We are talking about MMORPG players and we all know they don't care about the RPG part of MMORPG" <---- TRUE STATEMENT lol, maybe Bioware will convince people that they actually should start caring about the RPG in MMORPG

Well if you read the forums as a whole,there a lot of peopel who don't really want to play an RPG...they keep making posts attacking the foudnations of the RPG genre and trying to demend MMORPG's be turned into other genres or hybrids with RPG lite features.The problem is that that the MMO market is dominated by the RPG genre and is only starting to really branch out now and in a very timid way because investors see doing any MMO that isn't a RPG as too risky.

I beleive if there was more diversity of genres in the MMO market there would be less complaining about basic RPG features because these peopel would have their own genres that they do liek to play.There would still be the same level of complaining mind you...jsut about different things.This is the internet after all.

Originally posted by xpiher

Auto attack, classes linked to factions, classes pulled directly out of the first starwars moveies, auto attack, trying to make every encounter "epic" thus making nothing epic...  theres nothing to be really excited about. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Villnilla MMO with a Starwars skin. If I do play it, it will only be because bio ware made it and thats only until I "beat the game" 

The one thing that previewers keep mentioning about the combat is that there is no auto-attack and how much that annoys them.