Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Returning to a sandbox style MMO - PotBS

OzivoisOzivois Member UncommonPosts: 598

Having found STO a major disappointment, I have found myself in search of another MMO to subscribe to. 

I have tried going back to MMOs that I used to play, but always found that I lacked the enthusiasm to commit to getting back into the game and making new friends, etc.  The games just weren't the same anymore.

For some good reason, Pirates of the Burning Sea was an exception.  I reconnected with my old British society, The Returners.  The servers were all merged, so as much the population had shrunk there are enough players on each nation to keep everyone challenged.  And more importantly, unlike other games I tried going back to, it has been a great pleasure to get back into the economic system here of port production and shipping of goods for the good of the society's goals.  The chance of losing your ship in pvp combat or just by sailing through a "red" zone and getting attacked by a pirate is very exciting.  Furthermore, I  don't feel behind everyone (from a character progression perspective) as the core of the game is about teamwork and map control rather than endgame gear.  As a matter of fact, part of the fun in the game is having to spend time replacing yoru endgame gear as losing your expensive ships is an important part of the endgame pvp.

Anyways, just wanted to share that PotBS is still fun and engaging these days, whether you like a deep crafting & economic system or some challenging and pvp that come with real repercussions.

I should add that being an active member of a strong society is the only way to return or try this game.  If it wasn't for the group of guys that took me back into their pack I probably wouldn't be here right now.  Most, if not all, sandbox style games rely on large groups working together so being a member of a guild is intuitive.