Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you have the Courage to play Iron Man Style?

2»

Comments

• LuxumaruLuxumaru Member UncommonPosts: 259

Originally posted by Dibdabs

Originally posted by Sovrath

Naw, it just made me realize how tedious the process was.

QFT.

Guild Wars has a nitfy title for people who can reach level cap without dying, one of the few games I know that encourage this type of play, although I SERIOUSLY do not understand why anyone would want to stress themselves out like that over dying in a game...

EDIT: I have had people rage in parties cause they died trying to be 'cool' cursing out the rest of the party out like we were supposed to know they were gonna permadeath themselves... I think permadeathing in MMOs is a bad idea, especially if the person groups with strangers, unless they can just take it and not moan to the rest of the party like it's their fault.

Total MMOs played: 274|Enjoyed: 9. >:|

• Yoottos'HorgYoottos'Horg Member UncommonPosts: 297

I created a "Hardcore" character in Diablo II way back in the day and that was essentially the same thing you are talking about. Once you die that's it, you're dead. The only problem is most of the deaths were caused from lag. Whenever you play something which depends on the internet you will encounter lag/servercrashes/hickups and when you lose something you have worked so very hard on to something so beyond your control as lag/servercrashes/hickups, well...I'm sure you've heard of nerd rage...

There is a console game called "Demon's Soul" which has some pretty severe death penalties. It's not at all like perma death or iron man, but it make you cautios and plan out an attack. You certainly can't Leeray Jenkins the game.

• bastionixbastionix Member Posts: 547

Good lord, it's just called perma-death.

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283

I like SWGs method. No permadeath up to a certain point. Once you hit that point you have a choice, to continue on as an immortal with average power, or to become a mortal god and risk permadeath. I think pd could work if got rid of the ideas of stats and XP, and made it a reasonable amount of time to become competitive again, with high rewards the longer you live.

• Mopar63Mopar63 Member UncommonPosts: 300

I can easily see this being a very fun thing for some, especially in a game where it's not too hard to level or where equipment isn't too hard to come by.

Which is why I personally am taking this challenge upon myself in STO. I mean even someone that enjoys the game understands that the game is fairly easy to level in and equipment drops pretty nicely. With this in mind, now that my main is at RA I am starting a new toon that will run at the Advanced difficulty level and run in Ironman mode.

Our fleet is trying to get more of an RP section going so I am going to write up regular log entries for the character, the slower game pace will give more time for the imagination to work. Additionally I am limiting his ability to team with others. He will only team with similiarly ranked individuals during missions.

The only variable I have an issue with has been addressed here, LAG or for that matter ISP drops and game crashes.  With that in mind since I am playing on the honor system I will attribute such a death to be a none death and declare that my character was knocked out during the fight and the ship withdrew.

The idea was to see if others might gain an interest in this style of play. Was the title a bit dramtic, sure it was but no more so than many other threads in this forum.

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230

Would be hard to find groups I think.  Who would group with someone that drops group (since they are dead) the first time they died?  Unless you find a static group of like minded people you will be soloing from 1-10 over and over.

Originally posted by bastionix

Good lord, it's just called perma-death.

Long ago there was a game called wizardry that had an ironman option.  It may have roots even older than that.

• Sad_PandaSad_Panda Member Posts: 131

Sorry to say, courage has nothing to do with it.

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

i like to play iron man very recklessly. I usually end up making 10 new characters a night.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

Originally posted by Mopar63

I can easily see this being a very fun thing for some, especially in a game where it's not too hard to level or where equipment isn't too hard to come by.

Which is why I personally am taking this challenge upon myself in STO. I mean even someone that enjoys the game understands that the game is fairly easy to level in and equipment drops pretty nicely. With this in mind, now that my main is at RA I am starting a new toon that will run at the Advanced difficulty level and run in Ironman mode.

Our fleet is trying to get more of an RP section going so I am going to write up regular log entries for the character, the slower game pace will give more time for the imagination to work. Additionally I am limiting his ability to team with others. He will only team with similiarly ranked individuals during missions.

The only variable I have an issue with has been addressed here, LAG or for that matter ISP drops and game crashes.  With that in mind since I am playing on the honor system I will attribute such a death to be a none death and declare that my character was knocked out during the fight and the ship withdrew.

The idea was to see if others might gain an interest in this style of play. Was the title a bit dramtic, sure it was but no more so than many other threads in this forum.

Doesnt it only take like 3 weeks to go thru all the content in STO?

Pretty tame compared to some games. If someone spends 6 months or more on a character, I just dont see where losing that character would be "fun".

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• kellerman24kellerman24 Member Posts: 87

Originally posted by Yoottos'Horg

I created a "Hardcore" character in Diablo II way back in the day and that was essentially the same thing you are talking about. Once you die that's it, you're dead. The only problem is most of the deaths were caused from lag. Whenever you play something which depends on the internet you will encounter lag/servercrashes/hickups and when you lose something you have worked so very hard on to something so beyond your control as lag/servercrashes/hickups, well...I'm sure you've heard of nerd rage...

There is a console game called "Demon's Soul" which has some pretty severe death penalties. It's not at all like perma death or iron man, but it make you cautios and plan out an attack. You certainly can't Leeray Jenkins the game.

Ah, Diablo II, I thought no one will mention it, not really much to do with mmorpgs but I've also played on a 'hardcore' setting. 

I remeber exactly when and why I've died and it was 7 years ago! I was lv 8x amazon ... to make this short, I've died because of lags as you mention it and this should be yet another 'carefull' farm run ... I didn't nerd rage... I've simply cried (or more likely shed a tear) since I was so attached to my character. From that day I've never again picked up Diablo. But that was the whole point, whole game was something much more, don't know how to name it, immersive and unique definitely.

I think I will give Shaiya a try though, last time it didn't really hold my attention. I miss that feeling from 7 years ago.

If you never die then you never take any risks.

• Yoottos'HorgYoottos'Horg Member UncommonPosts: 297

Originally posted by kellerman24

Ah, Diablo II, I thought no one will mention it, not really much to do with mmorpgs but I've also played on a 'hardcore' setting. 

I remeber exactly when and why I've died and it was 7 years ago! I was lv 8x amazon ... to make this short, I've died because of lags as you mention it and this should be yet another 'carefull' farm run ... I didn't nerd rage... I've simply cried (or more likely shed a tear) since I was so attached to my character. From that day I've never again picked up Diablo. But that was the whole point, whole game was something much more, don't know how to name it, immersive and unique definitely.

I think I will give Shaiya a try though, last time it didn't really hold my attention. I miss that feeling from 7 years ago.

level 80+ on hardcore is impressive. I never made it past 20-25 because I didn't have the best internet connection back then. I was also...16(?) so I nerd raged. Ah, the stupidity of youth. ;)