Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why aren't more people playing AOC?

Comments

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004

I played it during it's release.  After I reached max level, there's nothing for me to do other than raids, so I quit.

Not to mention I'm very disappointed with the gem dupe hack, and screwed up item loot table.  Apparently there's a mob that drop rare leather at the rate of normal leather.  A few lucky individual that found the bug made loads of cash with it.

• ClocksimusClocksimus Member Posts: 354

I don't understand this logic people are trying to pull with the poor start to AoC.  I wasn't there but did read and enjoy the walls of flames that followed however,  the game as it stands right now is among the best if not at the best itself.  I wonder if people saying they won't play because of AoC launch would play a good MMO that has become compete trash (yes I'm refering to WOW) because it  'maybe' will become good again.

I don't care what it was because I'm not playing that.  I do care what it is and I'm more than enjoying  it.  Lastly about system requirements.... I built my computer 2-3 years ago for 500 bucks canadian (lol) and I can run AoC on high settings for everything but mass PVP/raid.  What kind of paperweights are some of you guys using for a computer? =/

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004

^ ya but the main problem to me is no one ever really give me a good reason to go back.

The main problem I have is there's nothing to do once you reach max level.  No one really tell me what they add at end game that I should go back for.

[QUOTE] The lore is great, the gameplay is fun, the music is incredible, and the graphics are stunning. [/QUOTE]

that's true I have incredible fun for 2 month because of it.  But after I reach endgame, I quit since there's nothing to do other than riding on my mount all day(and I'm not the only one).

• VoltlivesVoltlives Member Posts: 280

I honestly can't say why i stopped playing.  I got my assassin to I think 13 and then was distracted by life.  It took this thread to actually make me remember playing this game.  I guess that is as good an answer as any.

END OF LINE_

~V

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Originally posted by Clocksimus

I don't understand this logic people are trying to pull with the poor start to AoC.

Maybe because it was completely blown out of proportion, and the people making these complaints can be found jumping game to game, making the very same complaints there as well... because the problem has always been *them* and not the game.

I was in the AoC closed beta, all the way up to 3-4 months after launch. There were no real problems, at all, and I was running a 7800GT at the time. The only reason I stopped playing was that I tired of PvPing in khesh all the time, because that's all there really was to do at endgame besides the same raids over and over... and this is NO DIFFERENT than any other game, but of course, haters will deny it and say it's only a fault that AoC had.

AoC remains one of the best modern-day MMOs there is, and I don't even play it anymore, but I still attest to it.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• IceiceIceice Member Posts: 54

Originally posted by GTwander

Originally posted by Clocksimus

I don't understand this logic people are trying to pull with the poor start to AoC.

Maybe because it was completely blown out of proportion, and the people making these complaints can be found jumping game to game, making the very same complaints there as well... because the problem has always been *them* and not the game.

I was in the AoC closed beta, all the way up to 3-4 months after launch. There were no real problems, at all, and I was running a 7800GT at the time. The only reason I stopped playing was that I tired of PvPing in khesh all the time, because that's all there really was to do at endgame besides the same raids over and over... and this is NO DIFFERENT than any other game, but of course, haters will deny it and say it's only a fault that AoC had.

AoC remains one of the best modern-day MMOs there is, and I don't even play it anymore, but I still attest to it.

No real problems at all......

700k+ people leaving over 'No problems'  riiigght...

How about  half of the promised features not being in game, huge red lag spikes every minute or so, broken buggy content, exploited raids, exploited pvp, huge billing errors or problems, all of these still exist to this day, I could list about 20 more but I think we've all gotten the point. 

Blind devoted believers are just that...the logic and truth behind it is the game is frustrating from the installation to the billing to the complete lack of content the game had, and that which was available was like said before, broken buggy and exploited to no end. This you cannot argue, go read their own forums especially tech help/support, dont have to take our words for it, read the honest truth over there

Pimpwars/Cripplesmash/Legend of the Red Dragon/TradeWars 2002/TrollMud/Usurper

Present: Wurm , Fallen Earth

Originally posted by Iceice

How about  half of the promised features not being in game, huge red lag spikes every minute or so, broken buggy content, exploited raids, exploited pvp, huge billing errors or problems, all of these still exist to this day, I could list about 20 more but I think we've all gotten the point. 

The fact that you're doing all you can to rationalize this speaks greatly for how we should ignore you.

Anyone paying attention would remember their own experience, and mine was basically flawless. As for you, it seems you are going off tons of isolated incedents and claiming they actually affected *you* somehow. So no, I call BS.

You've done nothing but bite at FC's heels since I took notice of you here as well, and I don't negotiate with that kind of  troll. Plus, any new game  is going to face that kind of dropoff, it's unavoidable, and SW:ToR is going to face the worst of it once they sell a million+ copies on day one and 80% of them all end up hating it. This is the fate of all games that have a subscription model past the box copy. At least F2P's will sit on a hard drive until the inclination to play sits in. Subbed games get panned and have people like you telling them to not waste their money on it like you had a divine cause to do so.

• TarkaTarka Member Posts: 1,662

I played AOC for 18 months.  I left because I felt that not enough development had been done to it to keep me there (plus I had real life issues to deal with too).

And even though the expansion has been released.  There's still not enough in the game to pull me back...yet.

Plus, in all likelihood, the elements that I wish were in AOC, will probably never appear.  Such as:

• More depth to crafting.

• Combo combat system for casters.

• A greater synergy between crafting and the economy.

• More reasons to own a guild city other than the "reknown" system

• Housing, 

• More zones throughout the world to give a greater feeling of it being a game world as opposed to a collection of play zones.

• Reasons to actually USE the mammoth and rhino mounts.

• Etc.

People from the AOC EU boards may even recognise my forum name.  I frequently posted suggestions on the forums.

Suffice it to say that the GD himself has confirmed that although they would love to do implement them, there are no plans to right now.  Enough said really.  I wish AOC all the best, but to me it will never fulfill its potential.  I'm not attacking anyone who does play it.  I'm happy for them.

The fact that you're doing all you can to rationalize this speaks greatly for how we should ignore you.

Anyone paying attention would remember their own experience, and mine was basically flawless. As for you, it seems you are going off tons of isolated incedents and claiming they actually affected *you* somehow. So no, I call BS.

You've done nothing but bite at FC's heels since I took notice of you here as well, and I don't negotiate with that kind of  troll. Plus, any new game  is going to face that kind of dropoff, it's unavoidable, and SW:ToR is going to face the worst of it once they sell a million+ copies on day one and 80% of them all end up hating it. This is the fate of all games that have a subscription model.

Isolated incidents? Lol, nearly 1million people , all isolated incidents....just go read their forums , the same problems persist to this day as they did on day 1. 

I have no idea why you try and defend this and say it is not happening when it has and is. Its like rationalizing that 100 people all jump off of a bridge and all but 1 live. So that 1 that lived claims its safe and tries to convince  another 100 to go and jump off the same bridge since he managed to crawl away. 

Im not trolling as I am stating facts which neither you nor anybody has ever been able to say is not true. Like I say again dont take us ( the haters ) words for it, go read Funcoms own forums, should give you a much better idea that not is as well as some over here would lead you to believe. 

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by Tarka

I won't go into details, but suffice it to say that the GD himself has confirmed that although they would love to do them, there are plans to implement such features.

'GD' ??

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• TarkaTarka Member Posts: 1,662

Originally posted by cyphers

I won't go into details, but suffice it to say that the GD himself has confirmed that although they would love to do them, there are plans to implement such features.

'GD' ??

GD = Game Director = Craig Morrison a.k.a Silirrion

Personally I've got no qualms with the fact that they have a lot on their plates and thus cannot hope to ever consider such features.  That's just how things are.  AOC is forever trying to make up for lost time spent after launch on implementing pvp and itemisation.  That has set them back at least a year.  Then of course, theres the time spent developing the expansion.  Meanwhile the core of the game is still lacking (in my opinion).

Isolated incidents? Lol, nearly 1million people , all isolated incidents....just go read their forums , the same problems persist to this day as they did on day 1. 

I have no idea why you try and defend this and say it is not happening when it has and is. Its like rationalizing that 100 people all jump off of a bridge and all but 1 live. So that 1 that lived claims its safe and tries to convince  another 100 to go and jump off the same bridge since he managed to crawl away. 

Im not trolling as I am stating facts which neither you nor anybody has ever been able to say is not true. Like I say again dont take us ( the haters ) words for it, go read Funcoms own forums, should give you a much better idea that not is as well as some over here would lead you to believe. 

Lol, you again, same old stale arguments.

*yawn* blind haters are just that... stuck in the past, no matter what.

What's the credo? 'Burnt once, never forget, never forgive, always keep hating' ?

Anyway, the AoC launch sucked, they released a beta version of a game and they/Gaute made way too many promises they couldn't keep. They paid for it in the gigantic loss of subs and the bad rep that still clings to them somewhat - like the fervent haters show.

Fastforward 2 years later: situation is not the same anymore, gameplay is smooth and fun, there have been a lot of updates and changes of the game and additions of content and the RotGS launch was as the AoC launch should have been, solid. If people want to keep being stuck in the past, fine, their choice. Rest of the people move on and have the sense to judge a game for what it is now, not what it was back then at launch.

Some people just never get over their hate, traumas or grudges. Geez, grow up people.

Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

GD = Game Director = Craig Morrison a.k.a Silirrion

Ah, ok :) thanks

There are two kinds of people;

Those who experience problems, and those that will bitch vicariously through the problems others are facing, just ot justify their reasoning for being a complete chode.

Tell me what problems you actually had with the game, beyond the tons of sheeple that spout "yeah, yeah. What he said! Yay, I'm on a bandwagon!". Because one guy having a problem, and 50 others backing him up simply because they are predisposed to make trouble in any way they can, does not make an epidemic.

• VyntVynt Member UncommonPosts: 757

I'm kind of in a different boat. I didn't bother trying the game when it came out. I recently tried the game around expansion and it played quite smoothly for me on high settings. The only problem I had was, I found the game boring, lol.

I didn't really like the melee (had better experiences with combos in other games), the classes didn't do much for me, some were ok though. The game just didn't grab me. I even pushed beyond, to give the game a chance beyond when boredom started setting in, to utilize my free time, but nothing came of it.

I'm sure a lot of people don't play because of the horrible launch, but it could be, they just don't like the game.

There are two kinds of people;

Those who experience problems, and those that will bitch vicariously through the problems others are facing, just ot justify their reasoning for being a complete chode.

Tell me what problems you actually had with the game, beyond the tons of sheeple that spout "yeah, yeah. What he said! Yay, I'm on a bandwagon!". Because one guy having a problem, and 50 others backing him up simply because they are predisposed to make trouble in any way they can, does not make an epidemic.

If you would like to so be enlightened by my personal problems here goes

Member of Beta, pre order pvp weekend, was there for day 1 launch, member of a pvp guild on tyranny which held claim to many world firsts.

Where to start....Well half of the features missing that were claimed to be in there right off the box, 

Memory leaks, having to reboot the game every hour or so, constant red line lag spikes that would last up to 30 seconds every 5 minutes or so ( not just my issues but entire server ) which went on for MONTHS and still persit to this day if you read the forums.

Game content that was exploited heavily. Being able to hop invisible game lines to skip to the end of instances and range DPS down bosses with 0 interaction and farm for loot over and over.

Broken content...Klykki ( excuse spelling been awhile ) , and the other raid bosses were so buggy they would constantly reset mid fight, or just glitch out. Getting an actual kill was more luck than anything.

Most of the time your raid got zoned into another instance than you, even when starting from scratch, thus having to try and get a GM to fix it. This caused a ton of frustration for our guild.

PVP seiges were so buggy and broken I dont even know where to begin with this. Just about every feature of it was non working and so easily exploited.

End game raid which was totally unfinished ( BRC ) was exploited by wall hopping and bouncing through doors and range dpsing bosses down from pillars/walls even in wings that were not open for months to the public, thus creating an unfair advantage to those who cheated. Since there was so little content in the game, that was about all there was to do really at the time.

A majority of your talents/skills did not even work, this was well known, and you couldnt even spec your character how you wanted as your talent points were just wasted on unworking features. 

Pets/Minions with horrible pathing, AI, somtimes just standing there doing nothing while you were dying. ( I played a Necro )

Each patch making the game run slower and buggier. EACH AND EVERY PATCH. They could never get patching right. The game would be broken for days after every patch. Im talking unplayable bad. Certain zones would just be unbearable to play in. Remember when Field of the Dead was broken for over a week? 

Getting double billed. 

Getting billed a month after discontinuing subscription

Having to constantly download and update 3+ gigabyte patches for no apparent reason.

Look being pretty much meaningless, PVP having no real purpose at all. 

Having guild city buildings dissapear on patch days.

These are more technical issues, let alone the actual design elements of fail such as a small linear instanced world that was made for and promised to be out on Xbox360 which never happened as they still cant get it right to this day.

Mobs floating, bugging out, resetting health at random.

Leveling was pretty much a group everything up and AOE it down fest, especially in Keshetta. 

GM"s removing you from zones when you were trying to PVP on a free for all PVP server. ( yes we would take over mid level zones and grief people, but we WERE trying to add to the excitement of the world, being  one with harsh and brutal living conditions, nothing excessive, but interacting none the less ) 

GM's being completely clueless to actual problems of the game , having no idea what you were talking about or how to help you most of the time, and generally being rude. ( Unlike games like Fallen earth where the GM's are amazing as should be )

Solution givin by most people to any type of technical problem = Lolz your computer sucks wow computers cant run AOC go buy better stuff !   

Which was total Bullshit as even people with top end machines usually had more problems than those with low end

Look I can deal with game problems and bugs, I understand the fact when people have a vision and are trying hard to make a fun and entertaining game for you to enjoy, and I still keep subs open to games I dont play just to support the developers because I believe in what they are trying to do ( Wurm online for example )

But when so much is promised, over and over, all these features, never to see the light of day, it seems like they are just trying to keep the subs they have. The billing issues are what really got me, and alot of other people. Bad company is bad im sorry. 

If you bought a car from maker X, and sombody asked should they buy the same car, I think you would relate your experience with the car, if it blew up on you and was a lemon, and you got taken, and watched the company churn out lemon after lemon, I would hope you would educate others of your experience

the thing is its not just my experience, its hundreds of thousands of others. Sorry its a different side , but its a very real side

• bomber23ausbomber23aus Member Posts: 13

Having played DAOC i was looking forward to AOC in some ways it exceeded my expectation in others a great disappointment:

1. Pvp, Daoc was miles better, the size of the battlefields meant great enjoyment at a very low level,

2. Having player cities in instances is a joke, should have been part of Border Kingdoms,

3. No sides, having some racial allies in the game would have been good, Aquilonia vs Stygian etc

4. Conan's world is bloody but not like AOC, players facing off against each other alternating victories just to gain PvP levels would not be possible in a realm vs realm pvp environment

5. Tortage startup once or twice is ok but for every alt, if you do it once let any other alt start at level 20

6. Crafting being level based is ridiculous

7. World is so limiting i wanted to walk from pict land to stygia without being directed thru narrow zone pathways 

Originally posted by bomber23aus

Having played DAOC i was looking forward to AOC in some ways it exceeded my expectation in others a great disappointment:

1. Pvp, Daoc was miles better, the size of the battlefields meant great enjoyment at a very low level,

Can't attest to it personally, as my only experience with DAoC style RvR was in Aika... and I don't see the big deal.

2. Having player cities in instances is a joke, should have been part of Border Kingdoms,

Totally agreed.

3. No sides, having some racial allies in the game would have been good, Aquilonia vs Stygian etc

They had "culture PvP" servers at launch, and they did so poorly compared to the regular PvP ruleset that they ended up just merging them and forgetting the idea.

4. Conan's world is bloody but not like AOC, players facing off against each other alternating victories just to gain PvP levels would not be possible in a realm vs realm pvp environment

Dunno what you mean exactly, but the rezzing in AoC was fluid enough to PvP all day in any zone, without any kind of setbacks, and that is in the favor of the grinding system of PvP levels they went with.

5. Tortage startup once or twice is ok but for every alt, if you do it once let any other alt start at level 20

I don't see the big deal, as regardless of the outcome, you are still rehashing certian zones over and over again. You just avoid the tortage 20, which is still the fastest of them all to complete. It could help, but not by much.

6. Crafting being level based is ridiculous

The crafting in general was pointles compared to drops anyway.

7. World is so limiting i wanted to walk from pict land to stygia without being directed thru narrow zone pathways 

Well, then people would bitch that you shouldn't be able to walk from Aztel's to Ymir's without at least an hour-long journey... and it kinda kills the fluidity of PvP to have to trek that far after each death, though it may manage PvP outbreaks with that risk. Double-edged blade.

• I played it right at launch, and while I've sometimes considered givng it another shot, I'm very wary. Granted some of the things that drove me off in the first couple months could and probably have been fixed (lack of content, classes I like being horrifically underbalanced, lack of content). I will say that I think the starter zone was probably the coolest starter area I've ever played in an mmo.

I don't know, if there were a 'come back for 10 days free' offer or something I might give it another shot.

Want to know the answer to the OP's question, why dont we let Age of Conan and Funcoms own forums answer that for us taken directly off its front page from general discussion. 

Flame me all you want, but you cannot deny the proof, Id love to see the fanboys  excuses for this one this time. Defend the company and the game, make excuses, convince people otherwise but the truth does not lie

http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?s=f66b9fd33122ddce1ef5775502a31348&t=222948

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107

Want to know the answer to the OP's question, why dont we let Age of Conan and Funcoms own forums answer that for us taken directly off its front page from general discussion. 

Flame me all you want, but you cannot deny the proof, Id love to see the fanboys  excuses for this one this time. Defend the company and the game, make excuses, convince people otherwise but the truth does not lie

http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?s=f66b9fd33122ddce1ef5775502a31348&t=222948

So... you aren't too experienced with MMO's I take it? Your post screams NEWBIE!!! Why? Well, as anyone who has played MMO's for a long time would know, the loudest minority are the people having problems with the game. If you aren't having problems you are probably too busy playing the game. Its a well known fact and something that people new to MMO's don't acknowledge.

I for one, am located in Ontario, Canada and I have no problems connecting to Age of Conan servers as the post suggests. The server does not spike for me, nor does it reset 2-3 times a week either.

If you aren't a newbie and you take that term as an insult, I apologize, but I do recommend that you learn to understand the way an MMO community works. If the MMO's that people played were even half as bad as that MMO's forum would suggest, most of them would be closed by now. But obviously a very large majority is not having those issues.

I'm not a fanboy, but I have seen this same argument for so many games. The same was once said about the following games that I have played, and most are kicking around and are quite healthy!!!

-Ultima Online (original)

-World of Warcraft (launch)

-Darkfall

-City of Heroes

-Warhammer

-Everquest 2

-Starwars Galaxies

-Lords of the Ring online

-Dark Age of Camelot

-Eve Online

And probably another dozen or so games. Do you see the point I am trying to make? If not, no worries, I am just going to ignore your blatherings if you don't get it. I've been playing MMO's off and on since 1998 and I've learned that people who just want to complain and spell doom for everything come and go while a truly good game sticks around.

FYI, I don't think Starwards Galaxies is good anymore after all the BS, but obviously someone likes it! lol

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

I was once a big fan of this game.

Now with Grind of the Godslayer expansion out I dont even play anymore. My sub is due to run out in a few months and i wont renew. I doubt I will even log in anymore unless something drastic changes with the unbelievable faction grind.

Oh well, the forums are full of people complaining about the decisions they made with the expansion. Funcoms answer is to slowly ( snales pace) adjust the faction grind downward. At this rate next summer you might only have to spend 6 hours a day for 6 months to get an armor set instead of 8 hours a day.

And to top it off this last patch actually bugged some of the faction reward quests to where they give less than they did before the patch. Jesus what a joke.

Farewell AoC.

• ForumfallForumfall Member Posts: 570

After months of research my team of scientists found the answer:

Because AOC blows.

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

The reason I quit was because the PvP was bad. And with the consequence system implemented, it just seemed ridiculous. No reason to PvP at all. No direction. No focus.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• lathaanlathaan Member UncommonPosts: 476

Originally posted by DrGreenbacks

I've recently come back to AOC, after the launch debacle. I have to say it's the best MMO in it's class. I've played WOW, Warhammer Online,  AION, EVE, Champions Online, and many other MMO's and nothing comes close to the level of immersion in Age of Conan: ROTGS with the sole exception of Eve Online.

I don't understand why this game isn't just taking off with subscribers. Funcom has really set a new bar in MMO's.

Maybe it will spread word of mouth, maybe they don't have the marketing budget, but Funcom has really created something unique with AOC. The lore is great, the gameplay is fun, the music is incredible, and the graphics are stunning.

Any ideas?

where do you take your numbers from? I myself got no idea how many people are playing AoC - what i know is that Tortage is usually crowded and you can find a group for any instance on Crom at every time. I guess its one of the healthier mmo's out there btw.