Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do people really hate Paladin Classes because WoW has Paladins?

Comments

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Originally posted by Kenaoshi

because in pen&paper D&D is hard as hell to keep all your powers while your chaotic rogue go have all the "fun".

while in mmo´s its just an armless holy bolt spaming class. Paladin is about roleplaying the lawfull good leader rather than the retarded 'lol i pwnz u with mah l44t skilz and holy l4z0rs".

This is why pvp sucks.pvers can pvp, but pvpers can't stop staring at their damage meter long enough to stay out of fire. Wow ruined paladins because of pvp which in turn ruins one of the core ideas of pve .. not to mention rp which is deader than a rock. Now everything has to be able to shoot lasers from their butt or the qq is mind numbingly endless.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

'lol i pwnz u with mah l44t skilz and holy l4z0rs".

Man this make me laugh. . nice.  I loved playing a paladin in D&D (pen and paper) but yes. . unless a game has an alignment sytem it will never come across right.  Basically they are clerics in mmos.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• KenaoshiKenaoshi Member UncommonPosts: 1,022

Originally posted by azmundai

Originally posted by Kenaoshi

because in pen&paper D&D is hard as hell to keep all your powers while your chaotic rogue go have all the "fun".

while in mmo´s its just an armless holy bolt spaming class. Paladin is about roleplaying the lawfull good leader rather than the retarded 'lol i pwnz u with mah l44t skilz and holy l4z0rs".

This is why pvp sucks.pvers can pvp, but pvpers can't stop staring at their damage meter long enough to stay out of fire. Wow ruined paladins because of pvp which in turn ruins one of the core ideas of pve .. not to mention rp which is deader than a rock. Now everything has to be able to shoot lasers from their butt or the qq is mind numbingly endless.

i disagre regards "pvp sucks".

D&D have pvp and its fun, but it takes in consideration your alightment too, and that´s what I THINK mmo are lacking, that should have improved by now.

Im looking for GW2 as they might have given a little baby step on that regard.

now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

I always like the more Tankard /melee Dps style paladin. Everytime i see a healing focused paladin I automatically think Cleric.

I create Tankard paladins in every gametype I play. MMOs, single player rpg, co-op rpg, adventure game.

My love for paladins has nothing to do with the way blizzard did theirs.

With that said I liked the Prot and Ret trees in WoW but i don't expect that in everytype of game and I don't let it ruin any of my other experiences in other games.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• VaultFairyVaultFairy Member UncommonPosts: 566

Ive actually started to like the Paladin archtype, being a melee character and using divine power to help you and your allies or hinder your enemies.

As for WoW Paladins, i like them because of the aura's but they have alot of stigma about them being too over powering.

• whpshwhpsh Member Posts: 199

I like paladins and have never played WoW. But that's because of my fascination with most medieval knights (who were closer to paladins than fighters, minus the wavy magic stuff). And I like it as a 'mix' class, when there is a class system instead of a skill system.

But personally I think there should be the four major classes and a combo class of each four to more fully encompase people's preferances:

Fighter+cleric = paladin

Fighter+theif=swashbuckler

Fighter+mage=Bladesinger (DnD style)

Theif+mage=Bard

etc, etc.

They'd be not as good at either class, but would compensate by having particular abilities that neither of the primaries have.

Short answer, I'm always for more choices.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

Originally posted by Latella

Yes.

After about 2 years of being ninjalooted off my warrior gear back in vanilla WoW by "dps" paladins, and many other  blizzard screw ups featuring the wanna be hero teen´s favorite class, i can´t but get a bad  vibe everytime i see a  holy knight, no matter the game i am playing.

That does not mean i refuse to talk to / play with paladins, so  i guess i do not HATE them, but i can´t deny i do feel unconfortable when i have one in my party, at least until i know him better.

you DO know that it's the player playing that character that ninjalooted, right? And that the paladin is just a piece of softwarecode and a image created in your mind?

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• ManJunkManJunk Member Posts: 273

Way to beat on a dead horse OP....

This type of question has been brought up a million times and answered just as many...

Unless you fall under the category of a drooling moron... this question is self explanatory!

Let's also get something straight.  Wow didn't originate anything.  They didn't pioneer anything.  Nothing they did was groundbreaking.  What does this tell us?  Anyone that hates soemthing because of wow is a blazing ret***.  Seriously, if you have dislike over something that wow does just because wow does it.... you're an idiot.  You probably don't even deserve to breathe the same air as other intelligent human beings.

Now stop asking ******* ******** questions!

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by Muke

Yes.

After about 2 years of being ninjalooted off my warrior gear back in vanilla WoW by "dps" paladins, and many other  blizzard screw ups featuring the wanna be hero teen´s favorite class, i can´t but get a bad  vibe everytime i see a  holy knight, no matter the game i am playing.

That does not mean i refuse to talk to / play with paladins, so  i guess i do not HATE them, but i can´t deny i do feel unconfortable when i have one in my party, at least until i know him better.

you DO know that it's the player playing that character that ninjalooted, right? And that the paladin is just a piece of softwarecode and a image created in your mind?

I'm quite sure Latella is aware of that. Latella is probably also aware that certain personalities, for the most part, consistently gravitate toward certain classes.

With MMOs, some things are a rather safe bet:

• the person playing a paladin is probably more focused on his personal gain and loot than anything during your raid

• the person that named his character RAISTLIN, LEGOLAS or any other variation of a book/movie character written in all caps will probably be really annoying

• the character that is constantly jumping is probably male - not just due to the law of averages, but because women simply are much more creative when they're fidgeting. .

• the rogue that just attacked you while you were at 1/4 health and fighting a mob will probably do it again as soon as you return

• the hunter probably is equipped with armor and weapons that the player liked moreso than what's best for the character

• the hunter probably was the worst member of the group and probably had the most fun

• if the healer is doing an efficient job of healing, it is probably a female playing

• if the healer is blaming the entire party for their failure to heal properly, the healer is probably a male

• the person playing the scout (intel/recon) character is probably someone with strong guild allegiance and is probably the LAST person you want to try to bribe or sway to your side

I'm not saying these are carved in stone. They are something you could safely put money on, though.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• HricaHrica Member UncommonPosts: 1,129

Originally posted by Loktofeit

Originally posted by Muke

Yes.

I'm quite sure Latella is aware of that. Latella is probably also aware that certain personalities, for the most part, consistently gravitate toward certain classes.

With MMOs, some things are a rather safe bet:

• the person playing a paladin is probably more focused on his personal gain and loot than anything during your raid

• the person that named his character RAISTLIN, LEGOLAS or any other variation of a book/movie character written in all caps will probably be really annoying

• the character that is constantly jumping is probably male - not just due to the law of averages, but because women simply are much more creative when they're fidgeting. .

• the rogue that just attacked you while you were at 1/4 health and fighting a mob will probably do it again as soon as you return

• the hunter probably is equipped with armor and weapons that the player liked moreso than what's best for the character

• the hunter probably was the worst member of the group and probably had the most fun

• if the healer is doing an efficient job of healing, it is probably a female playing

• if the healer is blaming the entire party for their failure to heal properly, the healer is probably a male

• the person playing the scout (intel/recon) character is probably someone with strong guild allegiance and is probably the LAST person you want to try to bribe or sway to your side

I'm not saying these are carved in stone. They are something you could safely put money on, though.

LOL HAHA!!

To funny Loktofelt!!!

• ChessackChessack Member Posts: 978

Originally posted by Sovrath

I don't let one game affect how I think of similar elements in another.

I also don't let people's unanimous choice of a class affect how I think of a class.

Essentially the only opinon that matters is my own regardless of how that element or class is depicted or treated by others and I let that element or class speak for itself.

Otherwise I'm letting other people dictate what I should think and feel.

and that would be just plain nutty. image

This. ^

When I think of a Paladin, my first thought is always the classic D&D style Paladin.  I realize WOW's are not really like them.

But I think ultimately you have to accept the definition of each class wtihin the game you are playing.  To bring the definition of a class from one game to another is kind of silly, especially when they can be wildly different.  For instance, the "Paladins" from the Brotherhood of Steel in Fallout 3 are nothing like a D&D Paladin. To assume they are while you are fighting them would probably lead to a very quick death.

I play what I want, and I base that decision on the way classes are internally defined in a game.  Over the years I have found that I like the play style of classes that are most like the Srapper AT in City of Heroes... so I try different classes out in games, and try to choose the one most like a scrapper (nothing will ever be exactly the same since it'll be a different game system, but I try to make it close).  That's what I like so that's what I play. I don't see why I should care what *other* people like.  I guess one could make the case that if you play what others dislike or think is gimped (or what have you) then you might not get group invites, but that's not a problem for me, as I don't do PUGs, and only team with my friends. I have no friends who would refuse to let me on a team because they didn't like my character class.

C

• AngryvilleAngryville Member Posts: 27

Originally posted by MMOExposed

Originally posted by TrunksZ

Kudos to the OP !

I also think that this "WoW Haters" are killing the genre too, by saying that everything that is in WoW sucks yet WoW have everything that is in any other MMO, so wtf do you want ? another genre ?

Thanks very much, least somebody is getting it

I think it is very clear WOW haters are being recruited and paid by Blizzard.

They bring in more publicity than any Mr T. commerical ever launched.

• VegettaVegetta Member Posts: 438

Originally posted by eburn
    I dislike Paladins because they were the douche-bag class in EQ1.

I hated them ever since they first appeared in PnP D&D

WOW Bubble/hearth didnt help any

• AngryvilleAngryville Member Posts: 27

Originally posted by Kyleran

Seems like this OP is more of a trolling attempt to get people to admit they hate things in MMORPG's because WOW has them, which seems a bit silly to me.

Though I will admit, when it comes to the Dungeon Finder tool, I definitely hate that because WOW has it, and vigoursly oppose its inclusion in any game particularly a new one.  (Destroys social interaction IMO, but that's a topic for a different thread)

I think you are out of luck with this one.

If players have a choice: searching for other players to do a dungeon run and be able to do it in 30 minutes or struggling to find a group for 3 hours and not being able to do anything at all (except running around solo).

What do you think a new mmorpg will have to offer? The dull 3 hours waiting time or the 30 minute action part?

The pressure on new fantasy based MMORPG's will be that big that this technique will have to be included from the start.

Meaning: it is either choose a decent DF or have a dead product.

Our society is based on the removal of downtime to succeed. Faster, leaner, bigger, higher, more.

No one is going back to communications of pre historic phones and carriages either.

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092

I hated Paladins in EQ, because they were beyond a pointless class that slowed everything down.

I loved them in DAoC.

I love them in WoW.

I've actually never heard of anyone say they hate paladins, because they are in WoW. This is a first, and people's stupidity never ceases to amaze me.

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

I find more posts about people complaining about others hating paladins than I do about people actually hating paladins.

Anyway, my only real complaint is about the healing aspect of a Paladin. If they would have removed the holy tree in the WoW paladin it would make for a good class in my eyes. In fact the retribution tree of the WoW pally is what I really view the class as, a holy warrior.

• jargon11jargon11 Member Posts: 9

I never really use Paladins much, I have a bit, and I can safely say that IMO they're fine.

This is General Jargon11, out.

• eburneburn Member Posts: 740

Originally posted by Sain34

Originally posted by MMOExposed

Do people really hate Paladin Classes because WoW has Paladins?

I am finding this interesting. The hatred that the MMORPG community has towards Paladins, all because WoW has a class called Paladins.

What bother me most about this, is that most of the people here also claim to be MMORPG Old School vets,

Yet you resent idea concepts WoW has, but that reason alone (Because WoW has it).

Correct Me if I am wrong, But doesnt Everquest, a game much older then WoW, also have Paladins?

What about Dungeons and Dragons? Does that have Paladins?

What spike my interest on this subject, was a thread I read here http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/paladin-knight-speculation-p198687.html#post198687

by raspberry jam

What makes a Warrior and Assassin not a cliche, but the Paladin a cliche?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do People truely recent ideas that WoW has? Even if they were taken from older games before it?

How about you, MMO Vets? Do you also perform in this action of bashing ideas and concepts, for the sole reason that WoW Has it?

If So, how can you expect newer MMORPG to come out, with similar concepts to your older MMO games, if WoW decides to take another old concept.

If you dont believe such a thing can happen, just take a look at many of the newer MMORPG games.

Let me post an example.

Back before WoW's first expansion, TBC, People would complain about the long travel times in WoW.

So from this outcome, many WoW haters, began to encourage Developers of new MMORPGs, not to go down this path. And Hence the Tier Load Screen Zones were born.

Warhammer, Guild Wars, AoC.

And more will come in time, because the Old School vets decided to ally with WoW haters just to bash WoW, but failed to realize these same WoW haters were bashing the very concept that you enjoyed from your pass MMORPG.

So now you can kill Seamless Persistent Worlds goodbye.

_--------------------------

many people like this, have doomed the MMORPG genre.

You choose the pride of being a WoW Hater

over the pride of being the community to encourage developers to making Good Games.

Well GG people. 

Dont flatter yourself pal, we've been hating paladins long before wow exsisted.

Actually all good responses as to why paladins suck. In all games, pen and paper to the newest mmorpg, the class is designed to draw in the 'i'm a good guy douchebag who wants to be a healy tank and when i do die i'm going to whine that the game is broken cuz i has sword i has heals and i has plate i win always!'

Screw those guys. May they catch an STD from a public wash room.

I kill other players because they're smarter than AI, sometimes.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

Paladins were fine before Wotlk. they were a hibrid that could do everything well but nothing exceptional. that's what a hibrid class should be like.

then Woltk came and the pally was buffed to became the DK counter class.

ever since that they have been the most hated class simply because they are the easiest most powerfull class to play. period. there is absolutely nothing difficult about playing a paladin, especially a ret pally. plate armor, hp, insane close and ranged damage, heals, self heal + damage, infinite mana, running speed, clenses, damage buffs, stunns that dont brake on damage, "oh shit" invincible bubble, hand of freedom.......endless list of some of the most powerfull abilities in WoW.

yes i hate paladins

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

I think many of you MMO vets, are missing the point.

Whenever a WoWhatter bash a old concept, simply for the fact "WOW HAS IT"

well you can kiss many of them concepts goodbye.

You saw this with the Seamless World. I remember back in Warhammer beta, the fanbase community was full of WoW haters. They even turned away anybody asking for a more seamless world. Those people asking, got replies like "GO BACK TO WOW"

many of you are still spent on the Paladin. But heres other concepts, hated by the WoW haters, because of the soul reason, that WoW has it.

Did WoW invent Seamless Persistent World?

Did WoW invent Paladins?

Did WoW invent Mounts?

Did WoW invent Crafting Profession?

Did WoW invent Large Scale PvE?

Did WoW Invent Stealth Mechanics?

Did WoW invent Armor Types?

Did WoW invent Warlock class?

Did WoW invent Priest Class?

Did WoW invent Rage Mechanics?

the list goes on.

You MMORPG vets, chose the pride of being a WoW-Hater,

over the Pride of being part of the Community to motivate better games.

And the outcome of this, you can see today.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

MMO vets hate seamless worlds and crafting professions?  I honestly have no idea where you were going with that last post other than off some deep end about something probably completely unrelated to Paladins or WOW.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• twstdstrangetwstdstrange Member Posts: 474

Paladins are OK.

/shrug

Originally posted by twstdstrange

Paladins are OK.

/shrug

Your neutrality is disturbing.

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

MMO vets hate seamless worlds and crafting professions?  I honestly have no idea where you were going with that last post other than off some deep end about something probably completely unrelated to Paladins or WOW.

I think the word you're looking for is trolling.  That's all I think the OP's purpose is, since he creates a lot of these threads many that simply make you scratch your head going "huh?  what?".

You can tell he's quite new to the MMO genre, because nobody would say people dislike paladins because WoW has them.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Originally posted by Mardy

I think the word you're looking for is trolling.  That's all I think the OP's purpose is, since he creates a lot of these threads many that simply make you scratch your head going "huh?  what?".

You can tell he's quite new to the MMO genre, because nobody would say people dislike paladins because WoW has them.

And clearly you didnt read the OP, so you have no word here.

I never said MMO vets dont like Seamless world. Reread it again before calling somebody a troll.

I said WoW-Haters

Philosophy of MMO Game Design