Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why i left WOW forever

Comments

• DirkzenDirkzen Member Posts: 144

You'll be back for Catyclysm, just like every other WoW player who has quit before you will as well.

Mark my words.

• tanoriltanoril Member Posts: 432

I think the point is while you may not think what is in the game is fun, there is obviously a substantial number of people that do and that's all Blizzard needs to cater to.  If you don't like, there are plenty of other games out there to occupy your time.

• I've played WoW for a very long time. There's just nothing new to show. I have tried a few other MMORPGs but they were just not good enough for me and then I figured that maybe the genre as a whole was too boring for me. Now I got back to playing single player games and online shooters on my Xbox. In my opinion MMORPGS in general are sorta handicapped in the sense that they can't test skill that much as well as single player games and MMORPGs are definitelly lacking in story and fun missions. Playing cool new shooters,rpgs,strategies etc. gives you so much more content than any MMORPG can.

• PhilbyPhilby Member Posts: 849

Originally posted by ocbdare

I've played WoW for a very long time. There's just nothing new to show. I have tried a few other MMORPGs but they were just not good enough for me and then I figured that maybe the genre as a whole was too boring for me. Now I got back to playing single player games and online shooters on my Xbox. In my opinion MMORPGS in general are sorta handicapped in the sense that they can't test skill that much as well as single player games and MMORPGs are definitelly lacking in story and fun missions. Playing cool new shooters,rpgs,strategies etc. gives you so much more content than any MMORPG can.

Am i missing something? Youve played WOW for a long time because you like a game that takes skill?  And you enjoy single player games because there is more content than in MMO's?   Ok, cool.

WOW isnt great because it has 12 million players. WOW has 12 million players because its great.

• Originally posted by Philby

Originally posted by ocbdare

I've played WoW for a very long time. There's just nothing new to show. I have tried a few other MMORPGs but they were just not good enough for me and then I figured that maybe the genre as a whole was too boring for me. Now I got back to playing single player games and online shooters on my Xbox. In my opinion MMORPGS in general are sorta handicapped in the sense that they can't test skill that much as well as single player games and MMORPGs are definitelly lacking in story and fun missions. Playing cool new shooters,rpgs,strategies etc. gives you so much more content than any MMORPG can.

Am i missing something? Youve played WOW for a long time because you like a game that takes skill?  And you enjoy single player games because there is more content than in MMO's?   Ok, cool.

I played WoW for a very long time because it was fun. I played some MMORPGS which were trying so bad to be different that they seemed to have forgotten to include the fun factor. But I really can't talk much about 'skill' because I can't really give a clear definition of what 'skill' is. In a MMORPG you sit in front of a monster and either you die or it dies. Usually it's the player that wins. If the player can't win, it's usually because he doesn't have the appropriate gear or level. It's not a matter of tactics. Raids, of course, are a different story. In a single player game if you can't progress further, then it would usually be a matter of getting used to the encounter mechanics or stepping up your game. And there is so much more single player games can give you which you just can't see in MMORPGs just because of the persistence of the world.

I doubt a single singleplayer game can provide you with more content than a single MMORPG can. Although there are notable exceptions such as NWN. That game provides more content for your money than most MMORPGs. It's user created content but that a different story. It's just that you don't have to pay subs so you can spend that money on buying new games. Overall, you will end up with more fresh content than if you stick to a single MMORPG.

• BloodySunBoyBloodySunBoy Member Posts: 5

My Xfire shows i've played for well over 4000 hours and i finally left when it turned into a lobby game thanks to dungeon finder :(

• Originally posted by BloodySunBoy

My Xfire shows i've played for well over 4000 hours and i finally left when it turned into a lobby game thanks to dungeon finder :(

QFT.

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Originally posted by Drachasor

Originally posted by Zookz

I actually think the boss fights in WoW are fun. The problem is having to continue to do them ad nauseam. If you don't enjoy raiding the same boss over and over, or playing the same arena map over and over etc. then there's not much to do in WoW. It's a shallow experience after the first few times. 

Figuring out a Boss Fight is fun.  It's a lot less fun when most of your group just wants to get through content as fast as possible, so you all have to look at guides (made during the PTR) rather than figure out the mechanics yourself.  Still, some fun remains, but after downing a particular boss once or twice the fights are almost always pretty dull, I agree.

For me it's more like...

"Figuring out a Boss Fight is fun.  It's a lot less fun when most of your group still hasn't figured the fight out, despite having all been thoroughly explained the mechanics and what to do and when to do it. Still, some fun remains, but after wiping countless times because a few people still can't seem to grasp the concept of the fight, it gets extremely irritating."

But yes, even after the mechanics finally sink in and stuff is on farm, then it just becomes another boring grind.

Quite honestly I think the problem is that Blizzard's overtuning of the fights to be so specific and unwavering of how they need to be executed, it making the game a lot less enjoyable. Most of the fights boil down to a few gimmicks, and once you figure them out, you just repeat them to win. It's fun the first couple times, but it's mind numbingly boring after that.

As much hate as I might get from saying this, but I found MC a lot more enjoyable than ICC today, because at least the fights didn't feel like brushing my teeth with sand paper. They actually allowed for some meaure of goof up, and it was more about the epic encounter of organizign 40 people to beat huge monsters. Not so much about executing 12 different gimmicks flawlessly throughout a fight.

It's not a complaint over the difficulty. I don't mind something difficult. The problem is that the many of the fight encounters these days are simply too convoluted and tedious, that require near flawless execution of numerous gimmicks rather than class skill, to be enjoyable anymore.

• SuniojSunioj Member Posts: 261

For this simple phrase "Gear Score Required"......... CANCELLED bye bye World of Warcraft Community!

Momo sucks, I have proof.

• NightCloakNightCloak Member UncommonPosts: 452

I left WoW due to financial reasons (was too poor to buy a new comp when it died). Got back into it recently and am loving it.

I truly enjoy the leveling aspect as well as end-game. And for me, if I get bored of raids/instances I do have fun trying other things out or leveling a new toon (slowly, by questing and reading quests). I also dont play hours per day so that helps.

And, using napkin math, if this game takes 4000 hours to get burnt out, thats awesome. Because at 3 hours a day of WoW 7 days a week, thats 1334 days of gaming. So 44 months is $660 in $15/mo sub fees + game + xpacs at full price totals $790. Thats $0.1975 per hour of gameplay.

A very worthwile investment considering the prices of a movie ticket or beer at a bar.

• LigerioLigerio Member Posts: 25

Originally posted by david361107

I just left WOW for the last time. Yes i did leave and try everything, WAR, AOC, Aion, whatever, AOC is the only one that remotely interest me. But this last time, me and my RL friends were like, lets try end game, ICC. Well we have geared toons, got into a guild started running ICC, and ran ICC again and again and again...WOW is a great game but come on, blizzard can do much better than this. Maybe it's because I've played WOW for over 4 years and just burnt. I wish everyone well and hope blizzard makes some changes. Just can't run ICC all the time but it's all there is to do.

Who cares what you do.

Sorry to break your little bubble.

• KoLAddictKoLAddict Member Posts: 2

It's funny you left on the 18th due to only wanting to run ICC, because Blizzard actually patched in a new raid on Tuesday, which will be opening up soon, which is going to be at the base of Wyrmrest in Dragonblight.

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

Originally posted by BloodySunBoy

Originally posted by Sunioj

For this simple phrase "Gear Score Required"......... CANCELLED bye bye World of Warcraft Community!

I find it hilarious how some WoW players will go along with whatever new thing the developers push out, as if there was nothing else in the game to do. You don't like sitting in a city (lobby) queing up for dungeons? You can make a group on your own server, run to the dungeon, and play in it. Hell, you can run there yourself, queue up, then step inside until your queue pops. Nothing is stopping you from playing exactly how you want to play. Just because most players are doing things one way, is no reason not to enjoy the game however you wish.

I remember when the developers instituted heroic dungeons and daily quests. I have yet to do either one because I do not enjoy them. If progressing into end game was my only goal, then yes I would be forced to run them, but I don't care for end game at all, so I choose to ignore those aspects of the game, even though the majority of players are obsessed with it.

I still see hundreds of players out in the world doing quests or farming for things. You make it sound like there is nothing in the game to do besides running dungeon after dungeon, which is not the case at all.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• DrowNobleDrowNoble Member UncommonPosts: 1,297

I really liked WoW... back in 2005.  Since then it's like either Blizz doesn't care or just doesn't know how to manage an MMO.  Of course it also could be something "behind the scenes" with Activision since I don't think it's a coincidence that 2 years ago Activision and Vivendi merged and WoW's subs haven't gone up in 2 years too.

Probably one of the biggest complaints I have is no new classes.  Over 5 1/2 years now and just one new class?  That's pathetic.  You can't tell me that they don't have ideas for it.  Necromancer for one comes to mind.  What I think it boils down to is simple laziness.  With BC they gave each faction the other factions previously "exclusive" class.  That way each side got a "new" class without Blizz having to design one.  DK's are alright but starting them at 55 means you don't get a lot of replayability that way.  Not to mention this "epic but equal" is a glaring contradiction.  If they are "equal" to everyone else then they aren't epic at all.

WoW is getting old and with no new classes there is little reason to reroll.  It's really nice they are blowing up the "old world" but if it's still 1-60 who cares?  I have one of every existing class, the fact that taurens can be paladins now means absolutely nothing to me.   I have both a horde and alliance paladin I don't need another one.

Blizz pretty much ignores the community and does what it wants.  Sad, WoW started off so well and with so much potential.

• tanoriltanoril Member Posts: 432

Originally posted by DrowNoble

I really liked WoW... back in 2005.  Since then it's like either Blizz doesn't care or just doesn't know how to manage an MMO.  Of course it also could be something "behind the scenes" with Activision since I don't think it's a coincidence that 2 years ago Activision and Vivendi merged and WoW's subs haven't gone up in 2 years too.

Probably one of the biggest complaints I have is no new classes.  Over 5 1/2 years now and just one new class?  That's pathetic.  You can't tell me that they don't have ideas for it.  Necromancer for one comes to mind.  What I think it boils down to is simple laziness.  With BC they gave each faction the other factions previously "exclusive" class.  That way each side got a "new" class without Blizz having to design one.  DK's are alright but starting them at 55 means you don't get a lot of replayability that way.  Not to mention this "epic but equal" is a glaring contradiction.  If they are "equal" to everyone else then they aren't epic at all.

WoW is getting old and with no new classes there is little reason to reroll.  It's really nice they are blowing up the "old world" but if it's still 1-60 who cares?  I have one of every existing class, the fact that taurens can be paladins now means absolutely nothing to me.   I have both a horde and alliance paladin I don't need another one.

Blizz pretty much ignores the community and does what it wants.  Sad, WoW started off so well and with so much potential.

They also haven't dramatically lost subs either.  It still continues to sell an insane amount of copies whenever an expansion hits (this will be the same with Cataclysm).  It still is able to pull in 4-5 million bucks off of a sparkle pony.  If I'm still bringing in at least 100 million a month after 6 years, I'll take their mismanagement over your MMO developer.

• tryklontryklon Member UncommonPosts: 1,370

I also left wow very recently. My sub is still up until the 31st and I continue to log 1 or 2 ours a day tot alk to guildies and such, but i dont play anymore.

Not because the game is bad, but because I play it since launch and it reached my point of saturation. WoW simply looks always the same and boring to me.

Eventually all get to where I am because this is a game, nothing more or less.

WoW was a game I played for 5 years, never had I spent so much time on a game before, but unfortunately its over...

I still recommend it as the most polished game out there with the biggest number of features and things to do.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

After reading almost the whole thread, I came to a simple conclusion...

The more whiny complainers leave, the better the overall community of the game will be. Nothing is worse than the eternal whiners who plague the official forums and yet don't quit the game. At least those who have left have taken the RIGHT decision, and that decision is: when a game stops being fun, you simply stop playing it... and you don't whine for ages about it.

It IS only a video game.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• DrachasorDrachasor Member Posts: 2,678

Originally posted by The_Korrigan

The more whiny complainers leave, the better the overall community of the game will be. Nothing is worse than the eternal whiners who plague the official forums and yet don't quit the game. At least those who have left have taken the RIGHT decision, and that decision is: when a game stops being fun, you simply stop playing it... and you don't whine for ages about it.

It IS only a video game.

You don't understand how community works.

Originally posted by Drachasor

You don't understand how community works.

I understand that a community made of whiners doesn't have a good ambiance. That we have to endure that kind of nuisances at work, where we are not only paid for it but where it's part of the environment, sure, but when it comes to something totally optional, like a video game, then people should whine less and grow up, remembering it's only a game, something people do for leisure, and which is per se totally useless and non productive.

The OP made the right decision. He left because it wasn't fun anymore. The only thing that is disputable is that need to seek attention by posting it on a forum. But it's not worse that 99% of the blogs of the Internet, where people think the rest of the world is interested in their pityful life and the color of the socks they are wearing today.

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

• MorgarenMorgaren Member UncommonPosts: 397

Ever heard the phrase if it isn't broke don't fix it? Thats pretty much the whole reason behind no new classes, and when they did introduce the death knight, they had a delicate balance they had to try and keep for end game. Can't have too many tanks, or dps, so they had to make the DK fall into a certain niche. As for the epic but equal thing, its not a glaring contradiction, what they are trying to do is make each class engaging and fun to play(epic), while not making one obviously overpowered to keep a nice mix of different classes out there(equal).

And the reasons wows subs haven't gone up is probably cause its obtained its...lets just call it critical mass, since its such a large number, at some point growth slows to a crawl, and since pop would have to drop almost 80% before it caught up with generous numbers for the number 2 P2P MMO (I heard 3 million, I don't really keep up with this stuff, but if someone has corrrect info please correct me) I'm sure they are not too worried about growth, there will be some growth when the expac comes out because all the people in rotaion of leaving and coming back will all be subbed for a little while to see new content

• DrowNobleDrowNoble Member UncommonPosts: 1,297

@tanoril

I am guessing you don't understand basic business principles.  If I was running a business and had zero net gain in sales for the last 2 years straight, that is not a good thing.  Remember that is with  an expansion release as well.  Normally, an xpac will cause a spike in subs with people either returning or trying the game for the new content.  That didn't happen.  If anything, one could argue that the xpac kept WoWs subs from declining is all.

So although they take in over $100 mil a month in sub fees, they don't seem to be actually doing anything with it.  With all those funds, WoW should be a content rich mmo.  Yet that isn't the case.  There were 11 major patches in vanilla WoW, only 4 in BC and only 3 in Wrath.  The customers are getting less "bang" for their sub buck.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

It IS only a video game.

I think I read the same statements back in the 1700's by europeans... thousands left and moved to America..  Can we say best move EVER?

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,880

Originally posted by Rydeson

It IS only a video game.

I think I read the same statements back in the 1700's by europeans... thousands left and moved to America..  Can we say best move EVER?

Jokes on them we own them now haha.

• LorgarnLorgarn Member UncommonPosts: 417

Adding more classes when people always scream and cry about balancing issues?

Remember how long it took for them to balance the DK?

It's not like it's just design a class add in a couple of spells and put it out there. You shouldn't blame them when they are infact the experienced developers. My guess is that you(nor do I for that matter) knows anything about game development. However, I'm pretty confident when I'm saying: It's not because of "laziness". End of that discussion.

I'm not trying to defend Blizzard, because I would've said the same about any company. It's not always as simple as it may sound.

Blizz ignoring the community? I'm not even going to answer that.

Personally, I haven't played Wow for months. I'm too burned by it atm. Waiting for the expansion. :)

Originally posted by Rydeson

Is it also typical American ignorance to believe there were video games in 1700s ? No worries, you'll catch up with culture and history someday in the future, eventually. Or are you just trolling with an out of topic answer?

Originally posted by Frostbite05

Jokes on them we own them now haha.

Yeah, Europeans must be disgusted to miss most of the fast food civilisation... I guess that's also why americans come to Europe as favorite travel and holidays destinations ;)

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !