Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning: More Layoffs at Mythic

Comments

• demarc01demarc01 Member UncommonPosts: 429

Originally posted by cerebrix

this is what bioware gets to look forward to.

everyone swore this wouldnt happen to mythic when ea bought them.  people called me crazy for saying "as soon as things go south with this game, ea will start gutting the company"

this is ea's m.o.

theyve been impatient with mmo's since earth and beyond.  this isn't changing anytime soon.

i give bioware another 2 years in the industry, tops.  before ea starts gutting them too that is.

Bioware will be fine as a whole and wont go anywhere for a long time. SW:ToR could fail totally and they'd still suvive. Remember that Biowares main experiance and income generation is not in MMO's but its single player games, an area in which it excells. As long as Bioware can keep turning out games like Dragon Age and Mass Effect et-al they will be fine.

SW:ToR is thier first foray into the MMO market and its success or failure wont immediatly doom the company and cause EA to "hack it up" as some seem to think. Now if they start producing nothing at all in the SP game market and ToR fails .. that could prove messy, but I highly doubt they will do so. Hell they could knock out a DA2 and that alone will secure thier short term future within EA's corperate structure.

EA wont dismantle Bioware until it fails totally, which unfortunatly is what Mythic has done. MMO's was Mythics "one trick" and to fail at it without having anything else to offer is the cause of thier downfall.

As a long time DAoC player and then a WAR supporter I am saddened to see Mythic fall so far, but in all honesty I dont blame EA. EA was acting mainly as publisher and I cant expect them to support the "dream" ... they are a company with an obligation to concider profit lines after all. They too have people that need to be paid and wont risk a giant loss and lay-offs within thier own company to funnel money into a project thats not netting returns.

Bottom line is WAR is on Mythic and not EA this time. After all if the players wont support WAR (Pay subs) why should EA dump huge amounts of cash into it? They have done the forcasts and know whats going on .. prob best for them to cut thier losses and move on rather than keep supporting a game the player base wont support.

Do you pay your mechanic for "promising" to fix your car? or Fixing you car? Same with EA ... they wont support Mythic on promises alone, they want results which its apparent after over a year are not forthcomming.

• SmikisSmikis Member UncommonPosts: 1,045

Originally posted by Mandalore

He should go to Trion Wolrlds an work on Rift ^^

no.. if he was any good war wouldnt been shit.. its easy to blame ea.. but mythic once released barebone doac.. which somehow survived 10 years ago.. and supposedly  was hit ( which in numbers it wasnt.. it was just fans screaming louder than others ) 

and same shit happened here.. do you think it was ea fault that war servers had max 2k ppl per realm.. or 1k at launch.. and 2k 2 weeks after.. i dunno if they ever increased it.. it wasnt mmo.. game was divided into like i dunno 50 zones.. and wasnt open world.. you would have 5 players if ur lucky per zone.. that was what killed the game.. you can blame early release.. but game ran better in beta than it did in retail..  design choices which werent made by ea killed the game , poor networking codding is the biggest reason..  wow had 5k server capacity on 2005.. and 10k soon after.. i dunno if its any more now.. but when you launch game in what was it 2008? with 2k.. at best.. ur just screwed  oh look pvp game without noone to fight with

• arcdevilarcdevil Member Posts: 864

Originally posted by kraiden

Originally posted by Rockgod99

Im 100% certain that all the former Mythic workers wished they never got in bed with EA.

its not an EA/Mythic thing.

Trust me, as a journalist I would like nothing more than to write up a story about hoe there is some kind of internal turmoil and drama going on with this company, it would be an interesting read.

But since I DO cover mmorpg's I have to honestly tell you all this is not just happening at mythic. Its just the economy.

EA has has layoffs all over as have most gaming studios over the past year.

and it has nothing to do with the games performance. Microsoft is one of the more profitable companies in the world and XboX is a very successful platform. Xbox had layoffs , as well as other portions of microsoft.

I suppose EA is laying people off on division basis. So far in EA's MMO division they have Bioware and Mythic

Mythic has seen 4 rounds of layoffs, dunno how many people were let go this time, but in the other 3 it was well over 300 people...and not just support/marketing guys, but also plain game developers, modelling artists, programmers, etc.

Plus remember than a chunk of Mythic programers were rearranged to help bioware in network infrastructures for SWTOR

now...

How many rounds of layoffs has Bioware experienced?

How many people from Bioware has been let go?

How many relocated in other projects/studios?

I can answer to that 3 questions with one word: none.

No matter how you try ti spin this, WAR is dead in the water and EA are getting rid of Mythic's dead weight....

• jotulljotull Member Posts: 256

Originally posted by Smikis

no.. if he was any good war wouldnt been shit.. its easy to blame ea.. but mythic once released barebone doac.. which somehow survived 10 years ago.. and supposedly  was hit ( which in numbers it wasnt.. it was just fans screaming louder than others ) 

and same shit happened here.. do you think it was ea fault that war servers had max 2k ppl per realm.. or 1k at launch.. and 2k 2 weeks after.. i dunno if they ever increased it.. it wasnt mmo.. game was divided into like i dunno 50 zones.. and wasnt open world.. you would have 5 players if ur lucky per zone.. that was what killed the game.. you can blame early release.. but game ran better in beta than it did in retail..  design choices which werent made by ea killed the game , poor networking codding is the biggest reason..  wow had 5k server capacity on 2005.. and 10k soon after.. i dunno if its any more now.. but when you launch game in what was it 2008? with 2k.. at best.. ur just screwed  oh look pvp game without noone to fight with

I don't want to sound cruel but..there is some truth in this...all of the guys who are getting laid off are talking about how proud they are of WAR and what a great company Mythic is. How can you be proud of that steaming pile of shit? And I don't say that lightly I saw the potential, saw the foundation they laid for true living cities, saw  that at one time a deep story based PVE game was planned saw the beginnings of a PVP game that rivaled DAoC, but they half assed the whole shebang.  And the only ones who are saying its good now are the six counterstrike kids they have stupidly listened to from the start.

WAR could have should have  been a huge hit, but laziness poor management and just idiotic decisions made it otherwise. Personally I would not hire any of these guys, you don't say that you are proud of a broke dick game like WAR. Especially when your IP holder (Games Workshop) apologizes for it at their biggest game convention. (Baltimore Games Day)  and swears that it will never happen again to one of thier products. 

And even today they still just don't get it, look at their webpage they have  that stupid killing people in the face blurb, and the just out of touch brainless producers letter, and you can bet your ass the site won't be updated for another month or two, but they want you to believe that everything is a-Okay  

• bobbadudbobbadud Member Posts: 268

Originally posted by Kyleran

This game is on life support, EA is tossing all its eggs into one basket (SWTOR) everything else will be lucky to stay running.

Is that a pre-rendered cinematic basket with or without voice overs ?

Very few people understand the MMo world and EA's next catastrophe is already in the making.

You know it, I know it and a handful of others. But isn't it amusing to see this all coming... months/years in advance?

According to Mark Jacobs, WAR would have had around 3 to 4 million subscriptions 2 years after launch.

To watch how this industry unfolds is better than 30 episodes of the Big Bang theory.

It’s embarrassing when an NPC compliments you in an MMo, the only relevant, cool and epic things come from players whispering you “Grtz, mate, we did it”. copyright Pilnkplonk

• QazzQazz Member Posts: 577

The day I saw the video of Mark Jacobs raving about the innovative and amazing WAR crafting system, I knew the game was in trouble.  While WAR was arrogantly calling themselves the Led Zepplin of the gaming world (WoW being the Beatles), they were developing a product that had engame about 1/4 as interesting as the Blood Elf Island quests toward the end of BC in WoW.  They were too arrogant and short sighted to see they had a flawed product.  The last 2 years has been spent fixing issues that most MMO's do before they even launch.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by bobbadud

This game is on life support, EA is tossing all its eggs into one basket (SWTOR) everything else will be lucky to stay running.

Very few people understand the MMo world and EA's next catastrophe is already in the making.

You know it, I know it and a handful of others. But isn't it amusing to see this all coming... months/years in advance?

According to Mark Jacobs, WAR would have had around 3 to 4 million subscriptions 2 years after launch.

To watch how this industry unfolds is better than 30 episodes of the Big Bang theory.

It's not as amusing as seeing the same people posting the same kind of fuzzy logic viewpoints determinedly hoping/yearning for upcoming MMO's to fail that isn't their pet MMO.

It's sad, petty, but even more, I find it the ultimate joke and great forum entertainment. image

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• arcdevilarcdevil Member Posts: 864

Originally posted by rznkain 

EA failed mmogs

Sims Online-Shutdown

Mythic failed mmogs

You don't see what the fail ingredient is there? Pretty obvious to most of us.

Fixed for you, matey

yes, its really obvious now

about EA

you cannot blame EA for E&B, they allowed it to go for well over 1 year, and when they closed it, it had around 20k players total. Huge failure. Compare it to Tabula Rasa, it was canned far faster, when it had easily 5 times that players, and i dont see  anyone grabbing the pitchforks to the NCSoft HQs...

More or less, its the same with the rest. Except for the sims, none of those games were developed by EA internally, it was all business adventures that failed because the games...well, simply failed. And failed projects get canned 

boooo hooooo, that business company behave like a business company, they are SO EVIL....

The worst anyone can say about EA is that they have terrible tastes when it comes to MMO studios (apparently they improved, since they got Bioware), and its obvious that their legs dont shake when they have to close down something

But all those MMOs were failures long before pulling the plug, and since (xcept for the Sims) EA didnt write a single line of code nor boycotted them marketing-wise (more like the contrary), we could assume they would have failed even harder without them.

Now about Mythic

DAOC was saved by EA, without the money Mythic got from signing with EA, DAOC would have died shortly after. Mark Jacobs said  that himself, that signing with EA saved DAOC.

And anyway in general terms DAOC could be considered more a failure than a success

Mythic ruined a great game they created with pathetic ongoing development  that prove they know jack shit of gaming, they dont understand their playerbase, and they never understood why they succeeded the first time

pure dumb luck

Then you have Imperator, the MMO that never was, even tho they were working on it for 5 years they had absolutly nothing to show.

I guess thats the reason why they signed with EA, they were so in the red after:

- DAOC declining steadily because of their own screwups

-Imperator going nowhere

- and WAR's resources all spent in what in early stages of beta was pure shit..if you think WAR is bad now, you should have seen it in early beta, it was the worst crap ever known to man. Thats all Mythic is capable of doing

EA's contract would look like a god's gift for them

And then there is WAR, with this Mythic proved once again what they really are: absolutly incompetent.

All this while creating a legendary development record of HORRIBLE patches that invariably created far more problems than they fixed.

I feel sorry for EA, they think they are hiring 5 star studios, then those studios prove they are fucking shit undeserving of living in a competitive market,  and still idiots blame THEM...

• bobbadudbobbadud Member Posts: 268

Originally posted by cyphers

Originally posted by bobbadud

It's not as amusing as seeing the same people posting the same kind of fuzzy logic viewpoints determinedly hoping/yearning for upcoming MMO's to fail that isn't their pet MMO.

It's sad, petty, but even more, I find it the ultimate joke and great forum entertainment. image

I just wanted to point out that the last MMO published by money hungry EA was ... WAR and the next MMO published by EA will be SWTOR.

Both have already a lot of things in common .Just one example:  the lack of real 3D full rendered worlds and resort to painted 2D background borders.

You can ask in which world this "shortcoming" is more painful, in WAR ? or in a space opera where you can't even fly because of the fake 2D/3D bordering.

Like I said first: the entertainment one gets these days in sheer incompetence seen by game designers is unmatched.

I really want to meet these EA guys that check upon the games to be approved by their staff.

It’s embarrassing when an NPC compliments you in an MMo, the only relevant, cool and epic things come from players whispering you “Grtz, mate, we did it”. copyright Pilnkplonk

• KorithianKorithian Member Posts: 243

Originally posted by jotull

Originally posted by Smikis

I don't want to sound cruel but..there is some truth in this...all of the guys who are getting laid off are talking about how proud they are of WAR and what a great company Mythic is. How can you be proud of that steaming pile of shit? And I don't say that lightly I saw the potential, saw the foundation they laid for true living cities, saw  that at one time a deep story based PVE game was planned saw the beginnings of a PVP game that rivaled DAoC, but they half assed the whole shebang.  And the only ones who are saying its good now are the six counterstrike kids they have stupidly listened to from the start.

WAR could have should have  been a huge hit, but laziness poor management and just idiotic decisions made it otherwise. Personally I would not hire any of these guys, you don't say that you are proud of a broke dick game like WAR. Especially when your IP holder (Games Workshop) apologizes for it at their biggest game convention. (Baltimore Games Day)  and swears that it will never happen again to one of thier products. 

And even today they still just don't get it, look at their webpage they have  that stupid killing people in the face blurb, and the just out of touch brainless producers letter, and you can bet your ass the site won't be updated for another month or two, but they want you to believe that everything is a-Okay  

Harsh. But if true and from what others have said I have to think it is also fair.

To me WAR is over, if Gameswork shop a massive money grubbing company is washing its hands of it and appologising then its game over. Sad because I saw great potential in it, I was very excited about it even before Mythic took over and there was talk of Dogs of War and other elements such as being a rat catcher under the city of Aldoff. Instead we get a very cartoonish game with little customisation maybe 4 or so faces and hair. With the devs talking always about the armour sets, which are nice but it's real customisation. And then the experience was very bland with little to make the player think that was amazing. RvR was fun but nothing special and the bugs and balance issues made it unplayable.

Now  where the blame should be aimed seems to be up for a lot of debate. Is it Mythics fault or EA's. To me all are equally to blame, the game didn't offer the gritty world that the IP could have offered. But instead tried for the cartoonish look of the world leader and ended up with nothing special and felt like a rip off. Which maybe unfair given WoW borrowed most its ideas. But once you have an industry standard you can't just repeat the forumal with lots of shouting about RvR and expect people to play it. Someone at EA or Mythic should have realised this and taken the game in another direction.

Which now looking to the future it would be interesting to see what this means for ToR. Whether by using a very similar forumal even down to the use of Cinematic trailers instead of gameplay they will see similar results as WAR. With a lack of innovation and delays in release date leading to a luke warm resepection and little to encourage MMO gamers to part with their cash to play it. Personally given the official announcement in 2008 and a target date of 2011 ToR is already set to follow WAR. Too little too late as it were while more innovotive games come onto the market and no longer try to peedle the same old tired WoW material.

• sidfusidfu Member Posts: 170

what do u expect this is what happens when u put out a crappy game and take years to even get it to be a 1/10000th decent game. hope they go bankrupt to teach all these other mmo companies thawt they need to stop looking so much at a quick buck and more in the long run

• AramathAramath Member Posts: 161

Originally posted by Kruul

Originally posted by Krux

Originally posted by tachgb

Damn, that's a sad shame. Perhaps we'll never see DAOC 2? :(

You did; it was called WAR.  They delivered a mediocer product and this is what happens.

The only similarities between DAOC and WAR is PVP is called RVR. They are completely different other than that. DAOC had three factions and didnt look like a WOW clone graphically

Of course DAoC wasn't a WoW clone.  DAoC was out first,.   How do you clone something that doesn't exist yet?  As to the rest, all we have to do is look around and see.  Wolfpak consumed by Ubisoft, shortly after, Shadowsbane fails, former Wolfpak employees sacked, etc etc.  EA is in the business of making money.  Mythic was in the business of making games.  To say EA had nothing to do with WAR is to fool yourself.  They put unrealistic deadlines and constraints on the devs because they wanted a product that was making money now, not when it was done.  This happens all over the computer industry.  If you really wanna blame the root of it all, blame Bill Gates.   Microsoft was the root of all this push it out even if it's buggy scheme.

• red_cruiserred_cruiser Member UncommonPosts: 486

I don't like EA, but you can't blame EA for WAR.  They are the publisher, and the game was released in as good of a condition as one can reasonably expect in an MMORPG these days.  The Mythic team was given alot of money and they didn't produce anything but a mediocre, niche game. 

• ShadowWarShadowWar Member Posts: 1

Originally posted by AmazingAvery

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upenR6n7xWY

Go to Trion where Adam is!

Terrible idea.

Adam, the man quoted all over the message boards at war, to this day, about "Shadow Warriors aren't getting any worse this patch, that's for sure." Only to be followed in that patch with class breaking, performance hindering bugs and nerfs. This on a class that was already at the bottom of the power scale.

Sorry,but no. Adam has lost credibility.

• cerebrixcerebrix Member UncommonPosts: 566

Originally posted by red_cruiser

I don't like EA, but you can't blame EA for WAR.  They are the publisher, and the game was released in as good of a condition as one can reasonably expect in an MMORPG these days.  The Mythic team was given alot of money and they didn't produce anything but a mediocre, niche game. 

EA is not the publisher!!!!

They wholly and completely own, 100%, WHAT WAS Mythic Entertainment.  Just another office inside EA called "EA Mythic" for 2 years now.

god people pay atttention.

just like BIOWARE ISNT A COMPANY ANYMORE.  What WAS Bioware is just another office insde ea now known as "EA Bioware"

It's all just EA now.  Just plain old EA at the end of the day.

Games i'm playing right now...

"In short, I thought NGE was a very bad idea" - Raph Koster talking about NGE on his blog at raphkoster.com

Agreed heck just read  what the guys over at cotw wrote Seems like EA was drinking the same Koolaide we all were.

• clanortonclanorton Member Posts: 1

u know nothing of the warhammer universe warhammer world has been in existance for decades before that crap game WoW.

Originally posted by clanorton

U know nothing of the warhammer universe warhammer world has been in existance for decades before that crap game WoW.

Umm 1984, like 12 years before the first Warcraft game .:) Hardly decades. I have been playing Warhammer Fantasy Battles since then. And that Crap game wow stil has 11 million subs and acording to that article I just linked looks like WAR will be moving to one server. I call that fail of epic proportions

• JormungaandJormungaand Member Posts: 18

Originally posted by ShadowWar

Originally posted by AmazingAvery

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upenR6n7xWY

Go to Trion where Adam is!

Terrible idea.

Adam, the man quoted all over the message boards at war, to this day, about "Shadow Warriors aren't getting any worse this patch, that's for sure." Only to be followed in that patch with class breaking, performance hindering bugs and nerfs. This on a class that was already at the bottom of the power scale.

Sorry,but no. Adam has lost credibility.

AdamG was a joke. I think they took his posting privileges away after he kept promising things that wouldn't be delivered. A big thing he said was that they would implement RvR weapons. He just didn't elaborate that it would take over a year to deliver from that point.

• DerWotanDerWotan Member Posts: 1,012

Originally posted by cerebrix

EA is not the publisher!!!!

They wholly and completely own, 100%, WHAT WAS Mythic Entertainment.  Just another office inside EA called "EA Mythic" for 2 years now.

god people pay atttention.

just like BIOWARE ISNT A COMPANY ANYMORE.  What WAS Bioware is just another office insde ea now known as "EA Bioware"

It's all just EA now.  Just plain old EA at the end of the day.

Q F T

and sadly Bioware will be the next one. I'll give them 1 month after release till the first layoffs. There is NO Bioware anymore its EA Bioware now and we all know (despite the fanboys) what this means :(

We need a MMORPG Cataclysm asap, finish the dark age of MMORPGS now!

"Everything you're bitching about is wrong. People don't have the time to invest in corpse runs, impossible zones, or long winded quests. Sometimes, they just want to pop on and play."
    "Then maybe MMORPGs aren't for you."

• DillingerEPDillingerEP Member UncommonPosts: 366

Mythic has nothing to blame but them self's in this matter... end of story.

• wilqwilq Member UncommonPosts: 144

Damn pitty the Climax version was scrapped, it was so much more promising and more warhammerlike from this crap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkQvPQJ1_Dk

• RodzillaRodzilla Member UncommonPosts: 159

Originally posted by Xiaoki

I feel bad for EA.

They thought they were acquiring a leader in the MMO genre and what they got was a one hit wonder has been crap factory.

The only good MMO Mythic has made was the orginal DAoC in 2001 which they themselves ruined with yearly crappy expansions.

EA wasted tens of millions on this bait and switch lame duck company.

Amen,........... Mythic has been pumping out crap since 2003...

searching for the next DAoC....

Kay-exile

• RodzillaRodzilla Member UncommonPosts: 159

They should have dumped this current dev team a long time ago. Bring in some people with better ideas and have some kind of concept on how to make a decent combat system. I thought WoW had a mindless style of combat lol untill i played this 1 button smashing piece of garbage.

searching for the next DAoC....

Kay-exile

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

Is to wonder WHY so many people left War. Of course there were many reasons, crashes, inacceptable lag (especially scenarios), complete ignorance on any feedback .... i have been returning from time to time to discover there were some fixes, but not enough. And last reason when i quit for good about month ago when discovered they made respawn rate of mobs even shorter. 30 secs in many cases! Barely enough to kill next and previous is already respawned. Very cheap way to put players in constant grind state. I really hate this. And as it looks ... was my last try to return anyway ... does not look war will survive for long ... if not before then when 40 comes out.