Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Why isn't there a jump feature?" {answered}

Comments

• WarbandWarband Member UncommonPosts: 723

Originally posted by jusomdude

Originally posted by alakram

The game doesnt need a jump feature becouse the server can't handle the jumps, that means the server doesnt have a Y axis it only works with w and z axis. wich means even if teh scenery is 3D, the calculations are only 2D like in a map. Thats smart, the server makes the calculations faster with only 2 axis instead of 3.

If they only had a completely flat world that would be the case, if it has hills and valley's they still need a y axis location.

That guys mixed up. Lack of jumping generally indicates a lack of Z-axis not Y axis. Note this does not mean the world is flat as quite often when a game is said to lack a Z-axis the world itself is actually completely 3D but character movement and attacks aren't. This means a character can't swim or can have glitches with attacks on certain levels as combat wise and movement wise the entire game is flat. As long as your x and y axis are alligned to an oponent your attack can hit regardless of if your above or below a brigde. 

Games without Z axis generally don't have attacks while jumping because it messed up the allignment of the x and y axis. 

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

This crits Hiromichi Tanaka for over 9000 damage...

Jump Around (House of Pain)

Get up, pack it in, let me begin

I came to win, battle me that's a sin

I won't tear the sack up, punk you'd better back up

Try and play the role and the whole crew will act up

Get up, stand up, come on, throw your hands up

If you've got the feelin' jump across the ceilin'

Muggs is a funk fest, someone's talkin' junk

Yo, I'll bust 'em in the eye and then I'll take the punks home

Feel it, funk it, amps it are junkin'

And I got more rhymes than there's cops that are dunkin'

Donuts shop, sure 'nuff I got props from the kids on the Hill

Plus my mom and my pops

I came to get down, I came to get down

So get out your seats and jump around

Jump around, jump up and get down

Jump around, jump around

Jump up and get down

Jump up, jump up and get down

Jump, jump, jump

Jump, jump, jump

Jump, jump, jump

Jump, jump, jump

Jump, jump, jump

Jump, jump

I'll serve your ass like John McEnroe

If your girl steps up, I'm smackin' the hoe

Word to your moms I came to drop bombs

I got more rhymes than the Bible's got Psalms

And just like the Prodigal Son I've returned

Anyone steppin' to me you'll get burned

'Cause I got lyrics and you ain't got none

So if you come to battle bring a shotgun

But if you do you're a fool, 'cause I duel to the death

Try and step to me you'll take your last breath

I gots the skill, come get your fill

'Cause when I shoot ta give, I shoot to kill

Jump around, jump around

Jump up and get down

Jump, jump

Listen to the sound that pounds, I jump around

I'm no clown, I get down

To the funk, listen to the wig out

And step to the rear, dear, 'cause I'm here

The P to the E to the T E rockin'

The runs in your stockin'

So hon, put the lock in

Chillin' with the House Of Pain

Blood stains the ground, huh, I jump around

I'm the cream of the crop, I rise to the top

I never eat a pig 'cause a pig is a cop

Or better yet a Terminator, like Arnold Schwarzenegger

Try'n to play me out like as if my name was Sega

But I ain't going out like no punk bitch

Get used to one style and you know I might switch

It up up and around, then buck, buck you down

Put out your head then you wake up in the Dawn of the Dead

I'm comin' to get ya, comin' to get ya

Spittin' out lyrics homie I'll wet ya

Jump around, jump around

Jump up and get down

Jump, jump, jump

Jump, jump, jump

Jump, jump, jump

© WB MUSIC CORP.; EMI UNART CATALOG INC; IRISH INTELLECT MUSIC; MCA MUSIC PUBLISHING; SOUL ASSASSIN MUSIC;

edit:  Though in all honesty, STO could have done without the "jump" Cryptic included...dear God....

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

The way I see it, this is a feature that would be silly to leave a game over, but it's equally silly to defend a company so ferociously for leaving it out.  Little things like having the ability to jump go a long way to helping players feel one with their toon, and not including a jump ability just smacks of lazy programming.

• SoludeSolude Member UncommonPosts: 691

No jump killed GW for me, no swimming killed Aion.

Its really this simple.  MOB is on that 4 inch tall ledge pounding me with range and I have to run around to the ramp to get to it, usually after fighting through his buddies.  Not fun.  Or the world is perfectly flat with no terrain gating, equally unfun.

That said even if there was jumping I haven't seen anything in FF XIV that really looks interesting compared to existing MMOs let alone those coming down the pipe.

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

I never understood the aversion to jumping.  I have seen the complaints about people bunnyhopping all over the place and that is annoying to some people (Hell, I quit CoH the first time when they added the boomboxes after having played through beta, doing the preorder, etc - it was too much of a distraction seeing nobody doing anything but dancing - but it faded and I went back to the game)... but in looking at a game that comes from a certain part of the world where there are more movies involving people jumping around than from this part of the world, I never really understood the aversion.  We have more jumping in our movies because of jumping in their movies... perhaps it is like the boomboxes thing, perhaps it has faded for them and they have moved on - while we are still happy to jump...jump...jump around, jump up and get down...

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Originally posted by Valentina

Isn't there jumping in FF13? lol :

Nope, only scripted automatic jumps...

• EdeusEdeus Member CommonPosts: 506

Jumping, no Jumping... what if I just don't care either way?  There's a lot more factors to any game for me to play it or hate it...

Taru-Gallante-Blood elf-Elysean-Kelari-Crime Fighting-Imperial Agent

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Originally posted by negentropy

Originally posted by Khrymson

Question was asked by the folks over at FFXIV ZAM... in this video interview!

Hiromichi Tanaka laughing as he answers this question:

The main reason is because we don't think its important to have the functions in the game, we don't need to have the functions in the game.  So even if you jump around and nothing is gonna happen anyway {....last part is garbled cause the guy is laughing....post what else is said if you can understand it!}

Yay, another chapter closed in all the whining why there isn't a jump feature, and that many of us FFXI vets already tried to explain, "because there is no damned reason or need to jump from the way its designed" 

Any game that doesn't allow a bunch of WoW babies to run around hopping like rabbits is good in my book!

Huh?  Jumping in WoW is awesome.  LOL! 

• KryptyKrypty Member UncommonPosts: 454

Yeah I really wish jumping was in, and I imagine the main reason it isnt is that there isnt a spacebar on PS3 controller, lol.

Sometimes during long runs I just tap the jump button and maybe spin in air just to keep myself entertained ever so slightly more. Oh well. I will still be checking out FF14.

• jigsaw808jigsaw808 Member Posts: 26

Originally posted by Torvaldr

I never thought people wouldn't want to do that or that they would defend its exclusion so vehemently.  The thread has been most informative.  I do think Cyphers should drop the game off of his top 5 though, down into 6 - 10.  This may be a non-issue for FF players and fans, but I think players of most other major titles are going to find this type of programming approach and no Z-Axis annoying.

dropping a game from top 5 because of lack of jumping is extreme. a closed mind towards a lack of such a trivial feature will only make u miss out on the great things that a game has to offer. story, content, & experience should be on the forefront of reasons a title should top the charts. games move forward and new features are added at every iteration. sequels always have new features, but a lot of times the originals were great too. i like adding games to my collection and at often revisit old titles just for the stories or to recap before the sequel. shooter games like gears of war have a cover system, but wave off a game because it lacked that cover system and you would have missed out on dozens of great shooters that came after. if a game deserves top rank give it top rank. i also don't think its a non-issue for FF players, but for gamers who really appreciate games. not all games need to be open sandbox, have a cover system, or feature jump/swim. those are all well and good, but the narrative is the most important.

scribble scribble

• SoulSurferSoulSurfer Member UncommonPosts: 1,024

Question was asked by the folks over at FFXIV ZAM... in this video interview!

Hiromichi Tanaka laughing as he answers this question:

The main reason is because we don't think its important to have the functions in the game, we don't need to have the functions in the game.  So even if you jump around and nothing is gonna happen anyway {....last part is garbled cause the guy is laughing....post what else is said if you can understand it!}

He answered the question by laughing at it.  I'm laughing at everyone who posted in this thread, including myself.  Then he continues to laugh more. LOL

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

Anyone alse notice in the E3 gameplay vid that the glad gets stuck on a little rock while chasing a mob?

I sorta laughing a bit thinking of this tread.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

He says because it does nothing if you jump. In other words, there is no benefit in jumping even if you could. So just by that statement alone the impression I get is that they want meaningful things in the game and jumping isn't one of them.

Originally posted by jigsaw808

I think existing, dedicated, or long term FF fans will be boggled by the rest of the gaming worlds criticism.  There will be some portion of the FFXI player base that will just stay with that game because that is how second gen releases work (eg: EQ to EQ2).  There will be a large portion of non-FF players that will try the game and not like being glued to the ground despite acceptable game quality that they won't stick with the game.  My guess is that the remaining players who do stick with it won't be a large enough base to keep them at #3 (where Cypher rated the game) or even keep it in the top 5.  I definitely think it will stay in the top 10, just not high on the list despite the quality of its other systems.

I think you're spot on.

I know many people that won't leave XI until it's shut down.

I also know many people that left XI years ago due to the huge time commitment involved, that are excited about XIV.

More than anything, i know many more people that won't give XIV a chance because of XI.

It's 2010 and people expect more. If i'm going to throw down $15 a month, i want as many options as possible. I don't play multiple games at once, i stick with one for years and years.

• NixishNixish Member UncommonPosts: 185

Originally posted by Comnitus

Thank you. Now I'll run all the way around the fence instead of jumping over it. Or is there a mantle feature like Call of Duty (which I've always thought was more realistic anyways)?

This game just flew off my radar.

Probably been replied to, but even if there was jumping, devs would make the fence high enough so you cant jump over if they want you to go around.

No jumping is a petty reason not to be interested. What about mmos where you cant crouch and walk? I doubt most find that limiting.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Have you guys seen some of the E3 walkthrough videos of the game? One of the characters got stuck in place by a small rock and the developer had to run around it after fumbling with controls for a second or two. Jumping should've been implemented for stuff like this.

Originally posted by heartless

Have you guys seen some of the E3 walkthrough videos of the game? One of the characters got stuck in place by a small rock and the developer had to run around it after fumbling with controls for a second or two. Jumping should've been implemented for stuff like this.

And?   ...do you not understand what Alpha/Beta means?

So instead they should implement jumping so you can "jump" into areas of the map where you can get stuck indefinitely and have to home point out or call on and wait for a GM which could take hrs....and you're complaining about a 1-2 sec delay.  Even if should an issue persist in the live version, which it may since it does happen on occassion in FFXI still, thats not a gamebreaking problem.  Stop moving, press 2 or S to walk back a moment and step a little further in the direction you won't get caught on....problem solved!

So instead they should implement jumping so you can "jump" into areas of the map where you can get stuck indefinitely and have to home point out or call on and wait for a GM which could take hrs....and you're complaining about a 1-2 sec delay.  Even if should an issue persist in the live version, which it may since it does happen on occassion in FFXI still, thats not a gamebreaking problem.  Stop moving, press 2 or S to walk back a moment and step a little further in the direction you won't get caught on....problem solved!

They should design the game with 3 dimensions in mind, not two. It's 2010. There is a reason why ArenaNet is adding a jump feature to Guild Wars 2, eventhough the original didn't have it. Square is probably taking the lazy way out and reusing the old FFXI engine.

There are many things that are not "gamebreaking problems" when they are alone. Once they add up, however...

Then again, who am I to question the great SquareEnix, right?

• shokeroshokero Member Posts: 41

They should design the game with 3 dimensions in mind, not two. It's 2010. There is a reason why ArenaNet is adding a jump feature to Guild Wars 2, eventhough the original didn't have it. Square is probably taking the lazy way out and reusing the old FFXI engine.

There are many things that are not "gamebreaking problems" when they are alone. Once they add up, however...

qft

Cast In The Name Of God, Ye Not Guilty

Yeah and that reason is exactly; ArenaNet wants a jump feature in their new MMO, and Square-Enix does not, end of story!  Not every game or MMO has to be created the same to be considered good...the year does not matter!  For instance FFXI has for the past 8 years remained in the top 5 most popular MMOs with a very healthy population, where the majority of your PvP-bunny hopping crap has been a failure within the first 1-3 months.

Might wanna do some reasearch as FFXIV uses their new Crystal Tools Engine that thus far only FFXIII has used....

And you're right, you shouldn't question Square-Enix...cause they clearly know what they're doing and how to make a successful MMO.

• FortencFortenc Member Posts: 427

I know that I'm not alone in this.

In every MMO I play I keep hitting space to jump because: it's a button to press that does something noticeable, controllable and different when you're bored with just the movement function.

Even in games in which I can not jump I still press the space key to jump and then I am disappointed that I can't feed my ADD need to have more control over my character and be able to do more than one thing (or animation) at once when moving (IE, moving and jumping).

Not having jump sucks because I know plenty of people who always jump whenever they can just for the 'fun' of it.  If fun isn't gameplay then an MMO is going in the wrong direction.

..damn you FF XIV, another game I can't be excited about because you hate people who like to jump for jumping's (fun's) sake.

Yes, this might be a deal-breaker for me.  FML.

Objectivity is delivered with a lack of personality made for the mainstream but never used for the mainstream.

• jigsaw808jigsaw808 Member Posts: 26

agreed, games do change. sure, players want it all now and limiting content may also limit player base. i also agree that at some point games will need to "keep up with the jones's" to appeal to the larger market. however i feel that the jump feature is much to trivial a mechanic to disregard a game. the game has yet to be released so the complete experience and content have also yet to be revealed. there is no telling just how important it might be to NOT have the jump feature. maybe controls for keyboard and mouse take have an advantage over controller only and lack of jumping keeps things balanced. i can tell u that in ffxi jumping/running around a mob while navigating through ur macro sets would be more difficult on a controller since the menu disables movement. a kb/mouse combo might have the advantage because movement can be done w/ the mouse and macros were quick alt+/ctrl+.

i am with you that games do need to constantly evolve and innovate to keep the industry alive and promote their products. at this point jumping in a game is no longer an innovation or an evolution in my book. if it calls for jumping then by all means impliment it, but since running has proven to be effective and sometimes exciting then keep it at that. giving players everything they want is not always a good thing. not many players know what is good for a game. in this instance, if SE feels that jump is not justified then that is their call. all devs should take criticism into consideration, but still have within their powers a choice not to apply any suggestions if they feel it is not in the best interest of the game or experience. seriously i can only tolerate so many "new takes" on poplar game mechanics. i think the market is already flooded with companies that have copied and pasted the formula of a popular title. i can only take so many god of war clones or WoW re-imaginings. parenting is all about knowing what is best for the child. they might lack life experience to make good decisions. bigger isn't always better. the popular choice is not always the best choice.

scribble scribble

agreed, games do change. sure, players want it all now and limiting content may also limit player base. i also agree that at some point games will need to "keep up with the jones's" to appeal to the larger market. however i feel that the jump feature is much to trivial a mechanic to disregard a game. the game has yet to be released so the complete experience and content have also yet to be revealed. there is no telling just how important it might be to NOT have the jump feature. maybe controls for keyboard and mouse take have an advantage over controller only and lack of jumping keeps things balanced. i can tell u that in ffxi jumping/running around a mob while navigating through ur macro sets would be more difficult on a controller since the menu disables movement. a kb/mouse combo might have the advantage because movement can be done w/ the mouse and macros were quick alt+/ctrl+.

i am with you that games do need to constantly evolve and innovate to keep the industry alive and promote their products. at this point jumping in a game is no longer an innovation or an evolution in my book. if it calls for jumping then by all means impliment it, but since running has proven to be effective and sometimes exciting then keep it at that. giving players everything they want is not always a good thing. not many players know what is good for a game. in this instance, if SE feels that jump is not justified then that is their call. all devs should take criticism into consideration, but still have within their powers a choice not to apply any suggestions if they feel it is not in the best interest of the game or experience. seriously i can only tolerate so many "new takes" on poplar game mechanics. i think the market is already flooded with companies that have copied and pasted the formula of a popular title. i can only take so many god of war clones or WoW re-imaginings. parenting is all about knowing what is best for the child. they might lack life experience to make good decisions. bigger isn't always better. the popular choice is not always the best choice.

How trivial and meaningless can it be when there's multiple discussions on this forum and other forums about it?

Personally, i'd rather have it than not have it, but it doesn't bother me either way.

The thing i've realized after 8 years of XI is that SE makes the game they want to make. If people don't like it then people don't have top play it. Whether that's a good thing or not is up to interpretation.

Yeah and that reason is exactly; ArenaNet wants a jump feature in their new MMO, and Square-Enix does not, end of story!  Not every game or MMO has to be created the same to be considered good...the year does not matter!  For instance FFXI has for the past 8 years remained in the top 5 most popular MMOs with a very healthy population, where the majority of your PvP-bunny hopping crap has been a failure within the first 1-3 months.

Might wanna do some reasearch as FFXIV uses their new Crystal Tools Engine that thus far only FFXIII has used....

And you're right, you shouldn't question Square-Enix...cause they clearly know what they're doing and how to make a successful MMO.

The reason that ArenaNet wants to add jump to Guild Wars 2 is because a lot of people who played Guild Wars hated the fact that you couldn't jump and had to move around the smallest of obstacles. I mean you couldn't even walk down the slope of a hill, you had to follow the road. It was really silly.

The engine they are using makes no difference. They chose to design in 2 dimensions instead of 3 and that is causing some people to complain. The jump feature although mostly pointless, adds a realistic aspect to the game. Besides, it removes the whole "stuck on a pebble" issue.

I'm also curious to know, which MMO has bunny-hopping? Or are you not familiar with what the term means?

• Hrayr2148Hrayr2148 Member Posts: 649

I played Guild Wars for 3-4 months and FFXI for close to two years.

In Guild Wars it was frustrating not being able to jump, BECAUSE the terrain was designed to poorly.  Even if it was a small hill, you couldn't jump down to the road.

In FFXI, I NEVER felt jump was necessary.  It didn't matter, because if there was a small hill, it was designed where you could fall off onto the road, without jumping.

Game design is what matters.  I, for one, think jumping takes away from the immersion.  Go look at wow around the auction houses with everyone jumping around like jack rabbits....

Maybe having jump on a 1 min to 2 min cooldown for situationaly use could be a comprimise.