Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Why isn't there a jump feature?" {answered}

Comments

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

The game doesnt need a jump feature becouse the server can't handle the jumps, that means the server doesnt have a Y axis it only works with w and z axis. wich means even if teh scenery is 3D, the calculations are only 2D like in a map. Thats smart, the server makes the calculations faster with only 2 axis instead of 3.

• EdliEdli Member Posts: 941

Originally posted by jigsaw808

Originally posted by Edli

Originally posted by jigsaw808

i don't get why anyone would need jump. with the exception of sports or exercise, when do any of us jump?  I could probably understand diving as an attack, but that would most likely be an executable. i can't remember the last time i had to jump for anything. i think we kinda grow out of that energetic youth. jumping needlessly in other mmos is just distracting and probably not the way combat was intended.

We rarely jump in real because we live in cities, walk in roads, travel in cars. But try to go out in the wild hunting animals. You will have to climb things or jump certain altitudes.

Again the jump for this game will not be in because they will have to recreate the entire world, it's too late and I'm willing to forgive em if they deliver a great game but don't say that a game, the main focus of which is adventuring in wild lands doesn't need jumping.

FFXI did not need jumping and was based on adverture in wild lands. if it was executable then why would it need to be implimented now? FF titles have always been more strategy than action anyways. you may think jumping is needed, but SE has already proven that it's not.

jumping in mmo's only lead to people climbing on top of other things in the town areas, jumping while running, or jumping while in pvp (although this may serve as a function it is not usually the way combat is intended). sure IRL jumping would be necessary to escape danger, but in a game not many areas are so dense that a simple sprint around it will keep u out of harms way. usually if you can't pass thru an object the games don't allow mobs to either. if you feel that jumping is a need, then why would u be willing to forgive? a "need" is make or break. 

It's not a need, must have. It's a  feature that adds more realism and makes the world feel real, not a flat full of invisible obstacles. I don't like or dislike a game because of jumping alone. Jumping is one of many reasons why I like or dislike certain games. It's not a gamebreaker but it feels kinda strange that is missing in an mmorpg where you are traveling a lot.

Originally posted by alakram

The game doesnt need a jump feature becouse the server can't handle the jumps, that means the server doesnt have a Y axis it only works with w and z axis. wich means even if teh scenery is 3D, the calculations are only 2D like in a map. Thats smart, the server makes the calculations faster with only 2 axis instead of 3.

Didn't know that. Well then that's the reason. I hate it when some say that the reason is that you don't jump in real therefore you will not need to jump in game.

• jigsaw808jigsaw808 Member Posts: 26

i actually get what u mean. my initial post was more a RL observation rationalizing the lack there of in game. jump or no jump i can live with either aswell.

scribble scribble

• SerignuadSerignuad Member UncommonPosts: 98

I certainly am no fanboi. Nor am I a "hater".

But I have to say that I did try Guild Wars and the lack of a (real) jump feature was highly annoying to me.

Now one thing I would like to address is the the Wow-Bunnyhopper-Syndrome (though I think of it more as a Quake/UT Bunnyhopping thing myself).

The solution to these "annoying" bunny-hopping jumpers is to simply limit how often you can jump. If jumping consumed Energy or Mana (or a relative stat in FF) or could only be executed once every three seconds, people wouldn't be jumping to the point they are annoying the people around them.

For the people that say jumping is not needed because how often do we jump in real life?

Really?

This is a fantasy game. The whole POINT of playing an MMO is doing things/going places we could never do/go/experience in Real Life. I can wield a 100lb Sword thats twice as tall and twice as wide as I am with all the fury and speed of Chef Emeril wielding a wooden spoon, but I can't jump two feet in the air (unless I'm executing a maneuver then it is Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon Time)?

So let's compare Jumping to Swimming (which I happen to think as being very apt)

If noone programs in a NEED to swim underwater.. there is of course no "reason" to swim underwater.

But 50% of the reason I play MMOs is to explore and I will have a DESIRE to swim underwater (and not just on the top of it). Is it "gamebreaking"? No. But it annoys me though... as does my character not being able to jump. By keeping me from doing something that is so simple to do in Real Life (jumping, swimming underwater), you have just broken immersion to a degree.

No Jumping = Invisible Walls (probably) = Linear Gameplay (You have to (only) follow this path we have layed out for you) = Can't Fall Off Edges = Can't Jump Over This Log = Can't Swim Underwater = Breaking the Fourth Wall (but not in a good way) = Breaking Immersion.

While the above paragraph might be expressing some real annoyance.. the lack of Jumping is hardly game-breaking. It does however imply some of the other things might be true... and all that adds up to be a pretty hefty minus.

Still, while I never played FFXI, I did play FF9.. and if FF14 is anything like 9.. it should be a friggin blast to play.

Now I'm a little mad at myself for never having tried FFXI out... jumping or no.

We need to start thinking of MMO's as we do music or literature or the movies. There is not one MMO or one game that will be universally satisfactory to everyone's taste. MMO's don't come in one genre just as books or music doesn't come in one genre. Change and innovation is a good thing in the MMO industry just as it is in literature and music, but every MMO doesn't need to push the envelope or be cutting edge to be "good" or fun. It just needs to be good. The same is true for music. The same is true for books or for movies. Music evolves. MMO's evolve. Storytelling evolves. And in doing so, it doesn't make obsolete or not enjoyable everything that's been done before. 
  • jigsaw808jigsaw808 Member Posts: 26

Originally posted by Serignuad

For the people that say jumping is not needed because how often do we jump in real life?

Really?

This is a fantasy game. The whole POINT of playing an MMO is doing things/going places we could never do/go/experience in Real Life. I can wield a 100lb Sword thats twice as tall and twice as wide as I am with all the fury and speed of Chef Emeril wielding a wooden spoon, but I can't jump two feet in the air (unless I'm executing a maneuver then it is Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon Time)?

i did not say that jumping should not be implemented because im lazy IRL or that it should be limited because i don't do it. r u saying u want to jump because this is ur fantasy? jumping has little to do with story telling and immersion. immersion is not limited by what u can do or how u can do it. if done right any medium can emmerse a person well if done properly. a story written well in a book can still be better than a movie with $200 mill in computer animated graphics. as far as the POINT of doing things and going places... u r still bound by the designated area. jumping will not change your field of view or access new areas unless allowed by the creators. there is no exploration that outside the allowed.

also i think the gear will be visually scale. i wish i could dash w/ a 100lbs sword... or dual wield g.swords as a galka(dunno new names).

scribble scribble

• SerignuadSerignuad Member UncommonPosts: 98

Well, first off. Immersion is very relative. It might not break your immersion, but it might break mine (or crack it a bit). Everyone probably plays with very different ideas of what immersion is.

For example:

Lets say I come across a small pool in the woods surrounded by a small rocky cliff. I'm at the edge of that cliff. The natural thing for some people is to jump off the cliff and dive into the water. Anyone remember the diving animations from Asherons Call 2 (nice stuff that)? However, this being "one of those games". I can't. Not only can I not fall off the edge of anything, I cant even jump. The Designers only put in one entrance into the hollow. And I am forced to, like countless others before me, to take this very linear passage into this area.

How about if you are on the deck of a ship and want to enter the water. Oh wait, theres no jumping. Cant jump over the railing. So you find the ramp, descend it onto the docks. Only theres still no jumping off of things, so no jumping in the water here. You make your way off the docks and over onto the beach where, I can at last enter the water.

I remember this ramp/descent in the first city in Guild Wars. It descended downwards and then opened up to the left. I naturally would want to cut the corner by jumping off the ramp (we're talking only a couple feet visually), but I couldnt. I was forced to go around.. and since there was an aggressive kind of sticky-collision system, I had to make sure to COMPLETELY clear that corner lest i come to a complete stop, blocked by the tiniest bit of an edge.

A previous post used the example of a low fence. My natural inclination would be to jump it. The more jumpable it is the more its going to annoy me that I have to go around.

The people arguing that the lack of jumping does not break immersion are being just as self-centric as the people declaring the sky is falling because we cant jump. The fact is, not being able to jump breaks immersion for some of us. Not being able to do something in game as simple as jumping over Farmer Maggots (knee high) fence so that we can steal his mushrooms reminds us that this is a game.

Take my word for it, not being able to jump annoys some people.

Again, I refer back to my earlier comparsion which I find very apt. Not being able to jump is like not being able to swim underwater. It's not game-breaking that I can't do either, but it does annoy me. It reminds me that this MMO hasn't evolved beyond a certain point.

That said, I do get why other people (myself included) have THEIR immersion broken/annoyed by people that abuse the Spacebar.

EDIT: I will state here that I found FF9 to be HIGHLY immersive. Just killer musical scores and a killer storyline. If FFIV has half  of FF9's production value in music/storyline, it will make me very happy. I will even refrain from mentioning anything about jumping for joy.. ;)

We need to start thinking of MMO's as we do music or literature or the movies. There is not one MMO or one game that will be universally satisfactory to everyone's taste. MMO's don't come in one genre just as books or music doesn't come in one genre. Change and innovation is a good thing in the MMO industry just as it is in literature and music, but every MMO doesn't need to push the envelope or be cutting edge to be "good" or fun. It just needs to be good. The same is true for music. The same is true for books or for movies. Music evolves. MMO's evolve. Storytelling evolves. And in doing so, it doesn't make obsolete or not enjoyable everything that's been done before. 
  • HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

Originally posted by Serignuad

Take my word for it, not being able to jump annoys some people.

Believe me, this has become very clear in the last year.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".

It's pointless discussing it anymore. They can't add it now even if they wanted. Is something I may miss? Of course but it will not be a gamebreaker. Still looking forward to this game. What bothers me now is if the pc users will be punished for the sake of controllers like FFXI was.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

In a lot of MMO's, jumping serves no purpose, other than annoy other people by continually doing it in some public hub.

Such a small thing to get dramatic over. I don't believe anyone would pass on a game simply because you can't jump in it. Who are you trying to kid.

Originally posted by BizkitNL

In a lot of MMO's, jumping serves no purpose, other than annoy other people by continually doing it in some public hub.

Such a small thing to get dramatic over. I don't believe anyone would pass on a game simply because you can't jump in it. Who are you trying to kid.

Nobody is going to pass on it only because it does not have jumping. We just feel that is a feature that is missing that's all. Hate to repeat why. 

Nobody is going to pass on it only because it does not have jumping. We just feel that is a feature that is missing that's all. Hate to repeat why. 

Not asking you to :). But still though, if it doesn't have any real use, why have it anyway?  Just for the heck of it? Hm. 

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Originally posted by Comnitus

[Mod Edit]

Jumping does have a purpose - not in combat, but in movement. As evidenced by my fence example. I mean really, who wants to run all the way around the freakin' farm to talk to Farmer Bob inside when you can just jump over the fence? Jumping really is such an easy feature that to not have it is kind of lazy, if you ask me.

Yep!

Not having jump is lazy nonsense.  Your guy will be able to summon a 400hp fireball, but he won't be able to hop up some stairs from the side.  It feels extremely restrictive and clunky when collision detection blocks you from stepping over a rock as high as your shin.  Even Dragon Age suffered from this design flaw.

SWG was probably the worst.  Even jedi can't jump... stupid with 0's on the end.

Originally posted by Robsolf

Originally posted by Comnitus

[Mod Edit]

Jumping does have a purpose - not in combat, but in movement. As evidenced by my fence example. I mean really, who wants to run all the way around the freakin' farm to talk to Farmer Bob inside when you can just jump over the fence? Jumping really is such an easy feature that to not have it is kind of lazy, if you ask me.

Yep!

Not having jump is lazy nonsense.  Your guy will be able to summon a 400hp fireball, but he won't be able to hop up some stairs from the side.  It feels extremely restrictive and clunky when collision detection blocks you from stepping over a rock as high as your shin.  Even Dragon Age suffered from this design flaw.

SWG was probably the worst.  Even jedi can't jump... stupid with 0's on the end.

Hahaha, right on. I'lle bet they've even removed the fences and stairs (etc) to remedy that? xD.

• astrob0yastrob0y Member Posts: 702

Havent read every post. but i do hope that someone did bring back the old "but the graviety is to strong so they cant jump". I dont know from what part of this forum it comes from. but i do believe its a valid point. 

so no jumping around in plate kk!

I7@4ghz, 5970@ 1 ghz/5ghz, water cooled||Former setups Byggblogg||Byggblogg 2|| Msi Wind u100

Not asking you to :). But still though, if it doesn't have any real use, why have it anyway?  Just for the heck of it? Hm. 

In the case of FFXIV in the current situation jump would be a bad idea to implement. Would be just for the heck of it or annoy peoples. Because the world was not created with that feature in mind. So yeah they can't add it now. The entire world would need to be recreated. Something impossible.

Originally posted by Robsolf

Yep!

The only flaw here is in your logic. Just saying.

In the case of FFXIV in the current situation jump would be a bad idea to implement. Would be just for the heck of it or annoy peoples. Because the world was not created with that feature in mind. So yeah they can't add it now. The entire world would need to be recreated. Something impossible.

I just thought of one for ya:

Would you accept an expansion that would featurize "jumping"?

You know, like:

-2 new races!

-A whole new continent to explore!

-Jumping!

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

Correct that some people do get annoyed by jumping and some people purposely jump just to annoy, but in my case jumping has ALWAYS been a "freedom" tool, fex. cutting a path faster, jumping down from a roof/window, getting over mundane obstacles and whatnots, making a more free movement around the terrain & elevations and allowing me to choose the route to take and not forcing the games narrow pathing to make the desicion for me.

Freedom of movement is very important for me to feel immersed as silly as it sounds, i feel restricted if i cannot jump of ledges to a lower level/terrain or jump over a rock/obstacle to cut the path short.

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • Silas26Silas26 Member Posts: 51

No final fantasy ever had jumping (beside the specific situations).

There never was a need to. There still isn't.

I feel like the lazy people are more the ones asking for the jump than the developers.

• PinchfistPinchfist Member Posts: 40

Originally posted by Khrymson

Originally posted by Pinchfist

Jumping does not equal the whole of MMO enjoyment, but it couldn't hurt SE to give the players more rather than less.

Giving players a useless ability that has no place in the design of this MMO is a waste of time and resources better spent elsewhere on features it does warrant.

This is precisely the attitude that motivated the laughing of the lead dev.  You and I don't know better than them, at least according to them.  If this were a different issue, would you feel so inclined to respond the same way?  How about RMT?  Should they ignore it to work out other features? 

You obviously don't think jumping is worth the trouble, as evidenced by your posts.  Some people do.  Neither your opinion nor theirs is more valid or legitimate and they both reek of "do it MY way."

Let's do away with emoting completely.  While we're at it, let's shove off with mini-games and side-quests - they are completely unnecessary.

Oh I'm sure you know better than them. We all do, always. Developers always mess things up, we players have to just tolerate it. If we were given enough money and manpower, we'd create a perfect MMO from the scratch. Poor developers just don't get it.

• xersentxersent Member Posts: 613

Originally posted by ironhelix

Who cares? Not that Final Fantasy is some kind of bastion of realism, but who the hell jumps around fighting with a sword, while wearing plate armor? When was the last time you saw ANYONE ANYWHERE jump during a combat situation? How often do you jump during your daily life, when you are not participating in an activity who's purpose it is to jump?

WHO THE HELL CARES?

Spot on , well said :)

• PinchfistPinchfist Member Posts: 40

i like your post my friend. good points. i am an avid ff fan and yea, ff13 was not my cup of tea.

all in all i have to say SE knows what they are doing when it comes ffxiv online. im ok with no jump, and personally the last thing i want to see is a bunch of idiots just jumping up and down because they find it fun ( im not calling them idiots personally, i just find the act of jumping up and down idiotic.). by them no having jumping in the game, it does not break it. even if they had jumping, as much as i hate it, i would still try the game before i pass judgement. it seems like those of us who dont want jump are still willing to play the game, while those who want jump, wont play because its not in there. persoanlly, i would rather not play with those people.

a few interesting facts about ffxi that you mentioned pinch.

1) gil sellers didnt become a problem until the na release from what my friend was saying.

2) grouping wasnt a major problem either until na release. i remember looking for groups and seeing jp onry, and how i wanted them all to delevel. i remember them not wanting to group with us because we were noobs. back then, death was no joke, and all it took was some idiot to make a whole group wipe. also playing like an idiot can not get you groups either. i was a nooby dark knight and made alot of stupid mistakes, which resulted in me not being able to find exp pt's.

3) ffxi was made for japanese players, but was released to other countries about 2 years later if i remember correctly. i think its a safe assumption that the JP player base enjoyed the game the way it was, but when it came to NA, we wanted alot of changes. im not sure, but i think this was the first mmo attempt at having different languages play on the same server. intercultural or whatever the terminology might be. generally, games from other countries are picked up, and edited to fit the american style of playing. could you imagine playing aion with koreans? chat having american and korean? what we call a horrible grind is probably nuthing to korean people. i loved the mixed servers personally. i am interested to see if they will have mixed servers in ffxiv. when NA players are sleep, you can pt with JP. i want this very much

so in short there reason there is probably no jump, is because they probably got most of thier opinions from  JP players, and some dedicated ffxi  NA players, with some new blood to see what would work and what wouldnt. apparently jumping is simply not needed. rather than jumping, they are implimenting some other NA trends that we like.  instanced camps possibly

Ouch, I hope they don't have instanced camps! 

I hope the servers are worldwide as well, I loved playing with the Japanese at first and then the German, French, and Spanish later. 

The grouping issue you mention based on our later release date is definitely true.  I will say, however, that DPS classes of all sorts had trouble finding groups period.  I played FFXI more than any human probably should have.  I left the game after my LS camped Mee Deggi for 24 hours straight so I could get a pair of O. Kotes.  We got 22 of 24 claims and not one drop.  I would be kicked from NA groups for not having those kotes.  It was ridiculous.  And while I can only speak about FFXI from the intial NA release, the gil farming, MPKing at NM sites, and grouping problems for DPS classes was pretty bad.  I'm sure they will fix many of these with their new game but it's a bit disengenious to put the blame of those problems squarely on SE's delayed release date.

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092

Originally posted by ironhelix

Who cares? Not that Final Fantasy is some kind of bastion of realism, but who the hell jumps around fighting with a sword, while wearing plate armor? When was the last time you saw ANYONE ANYWHERE jump during a combat situation? How often do you jump during your daily life, when you are not participating in an activity who's purpose it is to jump?

Some people care, and I care.

As far as your next question. How many creatures have you seen walking around the streets that needed to be killed? How many dead bodies have you looted? How many people in real life combat situations have shot fireballs from their barehands? I could go on and on about these fantasy situations. The bottom line is this is a fantasy game, and to try to compare it to real life is idiotic.