Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Platformer MMO

jusomdudejusomdude Posts: 2,476Member Uncommon

What would you think of an MMO that incorporated platformer gameplay? Dungeons would be made to invlove a lot of jumping, dodging obstacles and maybe climbing stuff.

that's just a few platformer elements, I'm sure there's more that could be thrown in.

I think it could be fun.

Comments

• KrashnerKrashner Noneyabidness, INPosts: 137Member

FusionFall is a lot like a platformer, though it gets old fast and is definitely not for everyone.

• GTwanderGTwander San Diego, CAPosts: 6,035Member Uncommon

From about a year ago.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/243915/Aquinas-F2pSub-platforming-MMO.html

I haven't really taken it back to the drawing board since, but I think it has a lot going for it.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Phoenix, AZPosts: 2,755Member Uncommon

Originally posted by jusomdude

What would you think of an MMO that incorporated platformer gameplay? Dungeons would be made to invlove a lot of jumping, dodging obstacles and maybe climbing stuff.
    that's just a few platformer elements, I'm sure there's more that could be thrown in.
    I think it could be fun.

Likely going to be working on something along those lines in the future, though starting out small with a single player version, and afterwards expanding on it to eventually a full on MMO, similar to what theyre doing with Torchlight i guess. There have been a couple semi-platformers released in the past year or 2 that have actually been pretty damn fun, though they for soem reason are always kiddy and/or bad anime styled.

• chromekatanachromekatana douglassvile, GAPosts: 36Member

Sounds interesting. Do it with no lag to cause problems and I'll like it.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Stone Mountain, GAPosts: 14,247Member Rare

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• RepulsionRepulsion Groton, CTPosts: 173Member

Play Dungeons and Dragons Online.

It is the epitaph of platforming MMOs.

Granted not 'all' dungeons require acrobatic prowess, but missions like "the proof is in the poison" or "redfang's nest" are a few very unforgiving missions.

Warhammer Online also made better use of terrain than most MMOs, requiring you to at least use the jump button to get to certain areas. Most MMOs, the jump button is just an illusion of freedom, and a great tool for being annoying.