Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

G4 screwup SWTOR demo?

2»

Comments

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

The game is going to be epic. The demo on G4 was pretty awesome.

• KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921

Originally posted by Teala

So it is as we suspected.  Ships are stagnate.  Just a place of operations like they were in KoToR.    Space flight is all on rails.   Most likely cutscenes showing take off and landings.    ::sigh::

Looks that way yes.

However they had said from the start the emphasis was on character which to me said it would be all ground based. 

I think its better to focus on getting one right than a STO /SWG approach and getting both wrong.  If you saw the Korriban bit it was huge, you could see all the way to the vistas and walk there too.  So the "open world planets" look to be shaping up for what they said.

BETA ANNOUNCEMENT PLEASE so we can finally get full on answers to the yay sayers like me and the nay sayers.

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

So it is as we suspected.  Ships are stagnate.  Just a place of operations like they were in KoToR.    Space flight is all on rails.   Most likely cutscenes showing take off and landings.    ::sigh::

Though I was pleasantly surprised by the existance of any form of player ships (because I was expecting none), I kinda feel for you there. Here's a tidbit from the massively.com interview with Rich Vogel:

"As far as space goes we are not talking much about that. We talk about the player ships. Every class will have their player ship. Which is really cool -- kind of their central base for things. That's pretty much where we like to have it because we are actually working right now on some cool stuff for space, and we'd rather talk about it when we get it finalized. If everyone thinks about Star Wars there are always components we have to have. We have ships! We may have other things."

and here's another:

"Yes. There will be places to go. Think of the map in Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2. That's kind of what our navigation will be for traveling around in your spaceship."

Full interview here: http://www.massively.com/2010/06/15/massivelys-exclusive-swtor-interview-starships-pvp-and-craft/

So, well, maybe there's still a chance for something more, but it does look like it'll be quite similar to the Mass Effect games in this regard.

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

I did sort of expect a bit more in the way of gameplay information.  Crafting, Character creation, customization with armor/colors/looks.  Yeah, there was some great, cool info, but just seems like they could have said so much more.

• TarkaTarka Member Posts: 1,662

Originally posted by Kothoses

Looks that way yes.

However they had said from the start the emphasis was on character which to me said it would be all ground based. 

I think its better to focus on getting one right than a STO /SWG approach and getting both wrong.  If you saw the Korriban bit it was huge, you could see all the way to the vistas and walk there too.  So the "open world planets" look to be shaping up for what they said.

BETA ANNOUNCEMENT PLEASE so we can finally get full on answers to the yay sayers like me and the nay sayers.

Although I'll admit that the lack of pilotable space flight is disappointing, I do agree that it is best to focus on land based side of the game first.  Yes, a lot of Star Wars battles took place in space, but lets face facts, land based adventuring has so much more going for it due to the differences in land environments and the interactions that can be created between the player, the environment and other players.

After all, their goal is to basically create KOTOR Online.  And that's what they are doing.

Once they are happy with the land based part of the game then MAYBE they will introduce a space environment for the game too at a later date.  Until then, lets hope they polish the land based part of the game well.

• BeanpuieBeanpuie Member UncommonPosts: 812

Everything that i am seeing so far is pretty much down to the T of what i have expected

KOTOR Online,  from the ships to the mechanics down to personal attachment of your character.

the starships being our houses, stagnant ships just for mere travelling was a given,  lots of customization they said, but going by KOTORS blue prints, it'll just be for the inside ONLY,  outside will be canned,  Sith ship black and silver,   Republic copper and white.

As far as Pvp goes,  its a nightmare waiting to happen from what they announced,  it will simply matter about gear, CC locking your opponent, and how hard one can micromanage their cool downs.

if im wrong ill eat crow with some A-1 sauce on the side.

SWTOR will shine the most as a pve game.

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

Originally posted by solarine

"Every class will have their player ship. Which is really cool -- kind of their central base for things."

Not cool at all! :(

Once again they are forcing us with preset templates.

Once we choose a class not only we will be obliged to wear specific class gear, be forced to look like how they decided our class must be but also we will be obliged to use the preset space ship.

So much for an RPG game.

Also I might be the only one but I'm getting really bored at that useless display of Lightsabers, as in the Consular video in which she keeps healing the Trooper and her LS is always on even if she doesn't uses it.

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Originally posted by DeaconX

You can go here and just fast forward to SWTOR, I'd say it's about 40 minutes in or so:

http://www.justin.tv/spack_e32010/b/265324784

A summary:

* They showed spaceships, which we saw the inside of. Pretty big, very reminiscent of KOTOR and Mass Effect ships. Though they said nothing on whether we'll do any space combat or even space exploration with them. They did say it works like Ebon Hawk does, if I recall correctly. Seeing the interiors, I somehow doubt it'll be more than a Mass Effect-like experience. (I'm still good with that, did not     

* They showed group play, where Trooper was the tank (ranged tanking, btw!) and a JC healed. JK was dealing with adds, so I'm thinking he was DPS. They said there are several classes that could be used as tank. They mentioned you couldn't do this encounter if you soloed, it required a group. 

* They showed how the SI started out on Korriban, with a female SI. (I thought the environments looked beautiful.)

Thank you!

Heh, DeaconX, you're always the man with the news - happy to be of help to you for once! :)

Well it's much appreciated sir; I no longer have anywhere near the amount of free time I used to :)

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• YunbeiYunbei Member Posts: 898

Tbh: I don't care about space fight games a la Wing Commander or X-Wing at all. I want a solid and good planetary MMORPG. A space combat is an addtion I want to see, when EVERYTHING else is done and there. It really has a very low priotity for me.

• TarkaTarka Member Posts: 1,662

Originally posted by Deewe

"Every class will have their player ship. Which is really cool -- kind of their central base for things."

Once we choose a class not only we will be obliged to wear specific class gear, be forced to look like how they decided our class must be but also we will be obliged to use the preset space ship.

So much for an RPG game.

Also I might be the only one but I'm getting really bored at that useless display of Lightsabers, as in the Consular video in which she keeps healing the Trooper and her LS is always on even if she doesn't uses it.

Down with conformity!!!  Death to the fascists!!!  Oh, you're being serious?  Really?

No one is forcing you to choose any particular class of the ones on offer, its entirely up to you.   But I suppose you might want completely free classless game based purely on skills progression rather than levels.  Where you can wear or use ANYTHING in the game.  Well, from what I recall, KOTOR didn't have that.  KOTOR had its restrictions.  Yes, it have stat improvements, but you also had levels.  And more importantly it was certainly classed as an rpg.  Why?  Because you PLAY a ROLE.  Plus, in Kotor you only have ONE ship to choose from regardless of the role you played.

Classes in a game are familiar to people, they can relate to them.  That's why they are there.  Don't want to play that class?  Fine.  Reroll another. 

On the subject of class specific armour and ships, Bioware obviously feels that each class can benefit from having access to particular ship and armour designs, because that then entices people to try them.  Its like having racial mounts and class specific armour in other games.  You want them?  Roll that class.  Who knows, Bioware may make it possible to switch ships / armour at a later date (or even at launch), we don't know yet.

SWTOR = KOTOR Online i.e. the next progression in the KOTOR series, with additional online elements.

With regards to the Consular, perhaps Bioware are assuming that people WANT to see the lightsabers in videos.  I'm sure that this is a perfectly reasonable assumption to make that you can in fact "holster" your weapoin during combat if you want.  You can in other MMO's.

Originally posted by Tarka

So much for an RPG game.

Down with conformity!!!  Death to the fascists!!!  Oh, you're being serious?  Really?

No one is forcing you to choose any particular class of the ones on offer, its entirely up to you.   But I suppose you might want completely free classless game based purely on skills progression rather than levels.  Where you can wear or use ANYTHING in the game.  Well, from what I recall, KOTOR didn't have that.  KOTOR had its restrictions.  Yes, it have stat improvements, but you also had levels.  And more importantly it was certainly classed as an rpg.  Why?  Because you PLAY a ROLE.  Plus, in Kotor you only have ONE ship to choose from regardless of the role you played.

Classes in a game are familiar to people, they can relate to them.  That's why they are there.  Don't want to play that class?  Fine.  Reroll another. 

On the subject of class specific armour and ships, Bioware obviously feels that each class can benefit from having access to particular ship and armour designs, because that then entices people to try them.  Its like having racial mounts and class specific armour in other games.  You want them?  Roll that class.  Who knows, Bioware may make it possible to switch ships / armour at a later date (or even at launch), we don't know yet.

SWTOR = KOTOR Online i.e. the next progression in the KOTOR series, with additional online elements.

With regards to the Consular, perhaps Bioware are assuming that people WANT to see the lightsabers in videos.  I'm sure that this is a perfectly reasonable assumption to make that you can in fact "holster" your weapoin during combat if you want.  You can in other MMO's.

1) Choosing a class is fine but I don't like how they tie our hands in every aspect of our character experience. Mandatory gear and equipment is annoying but mandatory space ship chassis is well *sight*

2) I don't want to be obliged to wear the same "insert epic set gear name here" as everyone else. I want to be able to choose how my character looks like. For example I don`t like the last displayed BH armor, I prefer one of the lower ones. So I don't want to be obliged to wear it because the stats are better, same for weapons.

3) You missed the point with the Consular: it feels pretty stupid to have the saber constantly ignited without using it either for attacking, parrying, deflecting blows or even threatening,  same thing for the Inquisitor. So far it seems going in combat mode always ignite your saber, as is using some specific force skills not based on saber usage. It kills the fun because it removes the power feeling of the LS. It makes them nothing more than glowing flashlights.

4) Give me the choice and I'll play a BH in "Jedi like" robes and a Jedi in Trooper armor. And I might be far from the only one to welcome the possibility. But I know they don't want players to use their imagination.

• solocronosolocrono Member Posts: 173

1) Choosing a class is fine but I don't like how they tie our hands in every aspect of our character experience. Mandatory gear and equipment is annoying but mandatory space ship chassis is well *sight*

2) I don't want to be obliged to wear the same "insert epic set gear name here" as everyone else. I want to be able to choose how my character looks like. For example I don`t like the last displayed BH armor, I prefer one of the lower ones. So I don't want to be obliged to wear it because the stats are better, same for weapons.

3) You missed the point with the Consular: it feels pretty stupid to have the saber constantly ignited without using it either for attacking, parrying, deflecting blows or even threatening,  same thing for the Inquisitor. So far it seems going in combat mode always ignite your saber, as is using some specific force skills not based on saber usage. It kills the fun because it removes the power feeling of the LS. It makes them nothing more than glowing flashlights.

4) Give me the choice and I'll play a BH in "Jedi like" robes and a Jedi in Trooper armor. And I might be far from the only one to welcome the possibility. But I know they don't want players to use their imagination.

Did you watch the video?  Because I could've sworn I saw her holster it once or twice.... AND use it to deflect some bolts as she backed away to heal, and she also attacked..... so I think you're just looking desparately for stuff to knitpick.  

And as far as gear goes.... any game that is gear based, has certain looks for certain levels of gear... that's just how it has been and probably will be for a while.  For THIS game though... apparently from what he said, each class is going to look different at high levels.   Not like wow where every class looks exactly the same on each side with PvP gear or PvE, since both sides have the same classes.  In this there are totally different classes on each side, so you'll be able to tell them apart I would imagine.  

But what you're asking for is probably just not going to happen, and is not a gamechanger for most people.

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

I think it mentioned that SW:TOR will be F2P with an item shop................yeah...I went there.

Originally posted by solocrono

Did you watch the video?  Because I could've sworn I saw her holster it once or twice.... AND use it to deflect some bolts as she backed away to heal, and she also attacked..... 

Too many times ;)

I agree It might just be me, this overwhelming display of LS gives me the nausea... not really but it kills the fun.

While we are in a full Jedi era, the LS is still something special and part of the power feeling of the Jedi comes from the fact that they don't ignite their saber for the show. And eventually they only do so at the last moment. It's a bit like in iaijutsu, all the power / efficiency / drama is lost after the momentum of drawing the sword.

Seeing the characters running in the instances, saber on, without any mobs in range is a bit... meh? It's getting worse when you know during Kotor / TOR era LS batteries were very limited, so Jedi had to spare them. It's only much later that they have been improved.

Simply put, you don't use the LS: just turn it off.

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

Originally posted by BarCrow

I think it mentioned that SW:TOR will be F2P with an item shop................yeah...I went there.

Sigh, the worst part is, people will believe this, and run around screaming as if it's fact.  Since they didn't watch the video.