Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This is why I respect Blizzard over a lot of other companies.

HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411

one of the benefits of being Blizzard is we don't have to ship a product until we think it's ready. Our marketing department works with us on the game, but they understand that when the game is ready is ultimately up to the team. We didn't cut it because we ran out of time. We cut it because we didn't think the design we had was fun.

I wish more companies would follow this line of thinking.  Maybe while fewer games coming out they would be better quality.

Comments

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

Then again, Blizzard doesn't develop games, the players do and Blizzard just does what they say.

Which is why I don't respect them as developers, although I acknowledge that they are good at what they do.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • zeowyrmzeowyrm Member Posts: 746

Originally posted by Horusra

one of the benefits of being Blizzard is we don't have to ship a product until we think it's ready. Our marketing department works with us on the game, but they understand that when the game is ready is ultimately up to the team. We didn't cut it because we ran out of time. We cut it because we didn't think the design we had was fun.

I wish more companies would follow this line of thinking.  Maybe while fewer games coming out they would be better quality.

Yeah, I don't buy it for a second.  If they were still on the whole "it'll be done when it's ready" mindset, they'd just push the release date back to give them time to fix it.  Instead, they're cutting content, and doing damage control PR so they can reach their release date.

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411

I have yet to see a Blizzard product released that was not quality at launch.  WoW suffered from minimal bugs, but a lot of lag.  What do you expect when millions log in at one time.  No one is prepared for that, but with in a month or two they had that worked out.  Most games release in a state that would get them sued if they were providing a contracted product to a company.

• biplexbiplex Member Posts: 268

There is no Blizzard anymore. Since they sold themselves to Vivendi its a way down.
    Then they merged with Activision, and there is not much left of old Blizzard. Mr Kotick gives no fuck for games - he is only interested in making money - and making it fast.

http://www.teraonline.info.pl Polski Poradnik Gry Tera Online

I have yet to see a Blizzard product released that was not quality at launch.  WoW suffered from minimal bugs, but a lot of lag.  What do you expect when millions log in at one time.  No one is prepared for that, but with in a month or two they had that worked out.  Most games release in a state that would get them sued if they were providing a contracted product to a company.

Everyone forgets the mess that was Lord of Destruction when it hit.  Took the better part of 6 months before features that were supposed to be included were finally working. 

• chaoster89chaoster89 Member Posts: 56

Yeah and Wotlk was realy a quality product right? 

• biplexbiplex Member Posts: 268

Originally posted by zeowyrm
    Everyone forgets the mess that was Lord of Destruction when it hit.  Took the better part of 6 months before features that were supposed to be included were finally working. 

@_@ Strange.... somehow i missed that. WOTLK Worked fine for me all the time from the beggining.

http://www.teraonline.info.pl Polski Poradnik Gry Tera Online

Originally posted by biplex

There is no Blizzard anymore. Since they sold themselves to Vivendi its a way down.

Then they merged with Activision, and there is not much left of old Blizzard. Mr Kotick gives no fuck for games - he is only interested in making money - and making it fast.

A) you are wrong...they only sold 49% of themselves.  With 51% of their ownership in themselves they can tell Mr. Kotick to fuck off.

B) why do people keep spreading this lie...see point A

C) Since they joined Vivendi they made SC1, WC3, and Diablo 2.  I would not say they went down in that time.

• CzzarreCzzarre Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,742

To feel that Blizzard products are 'bugless' is somewhat off.

HOnestly, I remember the first months of WoW and there were plenty of issues, patches, bugs, etc

However I feel we were a much more forgiving audiance back in 2005 than we are today. I wager Blizz's next MMO will come with a lot of hype followed by a lot of forum flames ...just like every other release

@_@ Strange.... somehow i missed that. WOTLK Worked fine for me all the time from the beggining.

People like to blame their hardware on the companies software.

/sigh

No, not WoTLK.  The Diablo 2 expansion, Lord of Destruction.  When it came out, runewords, among other things, were not working and it took the better part of 6 months before a patch came out fixing things.  Everyone always forgets this, and they give Blizz a free pass, saying "Every game was quality when it released" 

• AercusAercus Member UncommonPosts: 775

Are you David Irving by any chance..?

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

Well, they obviously aren't following this way of thinking, because if they were they'd simply push Cataclysm back until it was fixed/fun. Instead they're cutting it to make a specific release date. Anyone who says Kotick has no influence at Blizzard is deluding themselves.

Besides, most of the Blizzard, 'Old Guard', has long since moved on. They are not the same company who produced the classics we all know and love anymore, and haven't been for a good while.

• uquipuuquipu Member Posts: 1,516

OP, you should know better than post a positive topic about WoW on these forums.
    WoW destroyed the games they loved, literally. WoW trashed EQ1, caused teh dreaded Catacombs expansion in DAoC and caused the NGE expansion in SWG an expansion that ruined that game.
    To many on these forums, WoW is the Great Destroyer.

Well shave my back and call me an elf! -- Oghren

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Blizzard's releases are far from clear of bugs. Quite honestly, they seem to be just as buggy as most other big name developers.

This isn't the best of mentalities either, as it's lead to extremely prolonged development times, and also hack and slash tactics over game features just to get the game out the door in a realistic tiem scale.

• ArquitetoArquiteto Member Posts: 228

Don't you worry guys I'm sure these cut features will be coming to an Item shop near YOU!!

When you think Blizzard is respectable just remind yourself of how they used the make a wish foundation to introduce their item shop. Hey lets create 2 pets and give half of the proceeds to make a wish foundation. People wont complain because its for  a good cause. Then they have their way to introduce items in the future. AND THATS HOW THE WOW ITEM SHOP CAME TO BE.

The Original blizzard was great. Current Blizzard is nickle and diming people in all their titles. $2.99 a month for a mobile auction house  that could further ruin the economy ingame? Starcraft being released in 3 different box sets. So in the end it costs $180. If they cared about fun why do they ignore unbalanced servers where one faction rules 10 to 1. They cancelled these features because it was going to take more work than planned. Therefore costing them more money.

• obiiobii Member UncommonPosts: 804

I still find the wow launch a lot less buggy than most mmo launches I have had.

Though I don't even find the Mortal Online launch a total failure, though it is not in a league with the wow launch.

Advantage of Blizzard is that they have the cash to wait, while I am pretty sure EA will not give Bioware the same options.

:P

• RzepRzep Member UncommonPosts: 767

Originally posted by Arquiteto

Don't you worry guys I'm sure these cut features will be coming to an Item shop near YOU!!

When you think Blizzard is respectable just remind yourself of how they used the make a wish foundation to introduce their item shop. Hey lets create 2 pets and give half of the proceeds to make a wish foundation. People wont complain because its for  a good cause. Then they have their way to introduce items in the future. AND THATS HOW THE WOW ITEM SHOP CAME TO BE.

The Original blizzard was great. Current Blizzard is nickle and diming people in all their titles. $2.99 a month for a mobile auction house  that could further ruin the economy ingame? Starcraft being released in 3 different box sets. So in the end it costs $180. If they cared about fun why do they ignore unbalanced servers where one faction rules 10 to 1. They cancelled these features because it was going to take more work than planned. Therefore costing them more money.

You talk about all these optional things as if they were forced upon you and you have no choice but to buy them. "Oh golly gee they made an iphone app for the auction house thats is useless to over 95% of the people playings, I sure do hope mommy is home so I can use her credit card to buy this." "Oh noes teh item shop only gives half of the revenues to charity. Those money hungry douchebags should be giving 100%, although I have never before gave a shit about any charity Ima gonna rage and whine till someone listens." This is what I see in your post.

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

Originally posted by Rzep

Without beating around the bush I see people like you as completetly retarded. You talk about all these optional things as if they were forced upon you and you have no choice but to buy them. "Oh golly gee they made an iphone app for the auction house thats is useless to over 95% of the people playings, I sure do hope mommy is home so I can use her credit card to buy this." "Oh noes teh item shop only gives half of the revenues to charity. Those money hungry douchebags should be giving 100%, although I have never before gave a shit about any charity Ima gonna rage and whine till someone listens." This is what I see in your post.

Well, aside from the first line that was kind of retarded (remember, it is against the RoC to make personal attacks - so you cannot call the person retarded, just what they are saying)... the rest of it pretty much makes sense, you know?

Okay, the SC2 thing is perhaps off - but I already posted my views elsewhere on not paying $60 for WoL.

I was fine with the fluff companions Blizz offered in their store.  The mount is an entirely different story.  Spend $25 and you no longer have to buy four mounts for any character on your account...training yes, mount no.  Slippery slope.  Slipper slope.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Originally posted by uquipu

OP, you should know better than post a positive topic about WoW on these forums.

WoW destroyed the games they loved, literally. WoW trashed EQ1, caused teh dreaded Catacombs expansion in DAoC and caused the NGE expansion in SWG an expansion that ruined that game.

To many on these forums, WoW is the Great Destroyer.

I think a lot of them would forgive Wow for all that if they didn't feel that Blizzard then turned the gun on themselves.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• ArquitetoArquiteto Member Posts: 228

Originally posted by Rzep

You talk about all these optional things as if they were forced upon you and you have no choice but to buy them. "Oh golly gee they made an iphone app for the auction house thats is useless to over 95% of the people playings, I sure do hope mommy is home so I can use her credit card to buy this." "Oh noes teh item shop only gives half of the revenues to charity. Those money hungry douchebags should be giving 100%, although I have never before gave a shit about any charity Ima gonna rage and whine till someone listens." This is what I see in your post.

Wow fanatics like you make me laugh. If someone insults your game you always resort to assuming everyone is 10 years old and living off their parents. Ive graduated college and have a great carreer. 

The mobile app is also accessable through a web browser on a computer. So its accessable to 100% of people with an internet connection. Creating this and any other cash shop item is time taken away from developing ingame content. Could have possibly been the difference of Path of the Titans and Guild talents being fixed for release.

The charity issue is not the fact that they only gave half of the proceeds. Its the face that they used the charity to introduce their item shop to minimalize the communities outrage. As far as charities go. I've cycled 100 miles to raise money for cancer. Ive participated in several relay for life events and have happily donated to many others.

What I am raging on is Blizzard moving away from what their original ways of doing things, and going against things they stated would never be done. For example Faction change. Destroyed server balance. Blizzard then did nothing to fix this.

Do you feel accomplished as if you really got me and people read your post thinking it was great? Your lack of any sort of response other than a poor attempt to mock me is pathetic.

Have a nice day.

• SerenesSerenes Member UncommonPosts: 351
    Blizzard Cut Path of Titans and Guild Leveling Systems because there was no good way of putting it into the game. There will be other things to replace this feature. Blizzards "Cash shop" Consist of 4 Vanity items which for 2 of you get a real plushie. I think people like to bash on WoW/Blizzard because it takes everything away from there little MMO that has 250k Subs in Comparision to WoW's 8mil atleast. Blizzard always puts out a good product and WotLK worked fine for most of the world? I'm sorry it did not for you. Blizzard like stated before is a 51%/49% Merge Blizzards head CEO owns 51% of the company 49% is owned by Activision the same goes for Activision, Also the only part Activision has in blizzard games is marketing they have no control on content.
  • CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Originally posted by Serenes

Blizzard Cut Path of Titans and Guild Leveling Systems because there was no good way of putting it into the game. There will be other things to replace this feature. Blizzards "Cash shop" Consist of 4 Vanity items which for 2 of you get a real plushie. I think people like to bash on WoW/Blizzard because it takes everything away from there little MMO that has 250k Subs in Comparision to WoW's 8mil atleast. Blizzard always puts out a good product and WotLK worked fine for most of the world? I'm sorry it did not for you. Blizzard like stated before is a 51%/49% Merge Blizzards head CEO owns 51% of the company 49% is owned by Activision the same goes for Activision, Also the only part Activision has in blizzard games is marketing they have no control on content.

Path of the Titans was removed because it 'imbalanced PvP'. They won't admit it, but that's the absolute main reason why there will never be an AA system in WoW. Honestly I'm surprised the idea lasted as long as it did. Which is ironic considering how horribly imbalanced PvP is anyways simply taking gear disparity into account.

The cash shop is growing, and it exists far beyond the 4 "vanity" items. The fact that you don't notice it is a testimate to how subversive they are with regards to their RMT. It's existed since the silly WoW TCG, and was extended via RAF. They aren't in your face direct "pay this and get this", RMT, but they're still paying real money for "extra" ingame advantages and/or content.

As per "bashing" WoW... People who are devoted fans of something will often generalize any and all criticisms agaisnt what they support as being 'nonsensicle', 'jelously', or 'blind hate'. I'm not discounting those as possible motives for some people, but there are many valid criticisms about Blizzard and WoW, too many to majorily fall into those three labels. You can still find fault in something and enjoy it, you know. Admitting something has flaws doesn't make it crap. In fact, acknowledging issues is the first step in resolving them, and making things better in the long run. Ignoring small issues is what leads to things getting worse in the long run.

... And last but not least. Whether or not Activision has majority control over Blizzard or not isn't the only concern. With corporate merges, comes a merge in corporate cultures. Activisions corporate culture is based heavily upon milking customers of their money every step of the way, ala their CEO Kotick. The merge of the two companies has resulted in much of this culture to bleed into Blizzard, and it shows with their increased push for RMT.

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

Well, people forget that when WoW first came out, it was just a super casual dumbed down version of EverQuest with 2001 era graphics. It was designed for mass appeal, and marketed for such. There was nothing innovative about it. It was just an endless leveling treadmill. Blizzard has always been in the interest of making money. 

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Err.

Except of course the WoW release was a disaster. Worse than even the release of Vanguard. Not only there where not enough servers in the beginning - WoW Servers hat been down for days when the game started. That never happened in Vanguard, ever.

Of course you can argue WoW has been a success on the long run, but its start was a lot less pleasant and successful than many people claim.

The main difference to other projects is simply: there was more money behind them, and they had the luck to be right in one single crucial point: you dont need most highend graphics to be successful in the MMO market.

Everything else is IMHO a myth. WoW is a crap game that lacks challenge, comes with childish graphics, and doesnt offer much of a dynamic world.