Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This is why I respect Blizzard over a lot of other companies.

Comments

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Originally posted by uquipu

Originally posted by Wickedjelly

WoW had a smooth polished release.

No it didn't.  Even if you don't consider the server and queue issues there were a lot of problems at launch.  It certainly wasn't awful or in a category to be remarked on when discussing the cream of the crop bad launches but it sure as hell was not a smooth, polished release.

Of course, this has always been a testament to me as to how good a game it was for many out there.  Because considering all the issues people kept coming to it in droves.

I guess it's relative to the person.

I remember one bug. When you mined certain resource nodes you'd stick to them. Like one out of a hundred.

Or falling through the world...or vanishing zepplins/boats...or unattackable/releashing mobs....the polymorph issues, etc.

There was a lot more going on than just the harvest/loot bugs so not sure what you're talking about.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• QazzQazz Member Posts: 577

Originally posted by SaintViktor

Stop living in the past. All their glory is from 10 years ago and now since the real masterminds behind Blizzard's success are just about gone they lost their midas touch. Sure they still make pretty good games but no way are they even close to being what they were 10 years ago.  After seeing how good both The Old Reublic looks and Guild Wars 2 I don't see how Blizzard will be able to top those. Blizzard was great but their time has passed now.

All I heard from Star Wars today is how much they say they're going to be WoW-like ROFL. 

Also, did you see Mythic's new MMO called Warhammer: Age of Reckoning...it's going to totally pwn wow.  Age of Conan looks promising too.  Bye bye Blizzard!

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411

GW2 and STOR might be great games....but to count your chickens before they hatch when the past has given us so many failure to launch projects has made me sceptical.  I demand a game perform before I would say any of them will even do better than EQ1 today.  Fools always point to the horizon saying hope is just over the hill....wise people top the hill and look before getting their hopes up.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Originally posted by zymurgeist

Stop living in the past. All their glory is from 10 years ago and now since the real masterminds behind Blizzard's success are just about gone they lost their midas touch. Sure they still make pretty good games but no way are they even close to being what they were 10 years ago.  After seeing how good both The Old Reublic looks and Guild Wars 2 I don't see how Blizzard will be able to top those. Blizzard was great but their time has passed now.

Actually Starcraft 2 is shaping up nicely. RTS was always their forte. I'll preach a little heresy here. It doesn't have to be the original crew to make a great sequel. Matter of fact sometimes it's better if it isn't.  People tend to stay truer to a concept if they're trying to preserve the feeling of someone elses work. 

Well all the did with SC2 was give it 3d models and some minor changes to each race. The biggest difference will be the single player story. Thors which replced the goliaths play pretty much the same for terran. There isn't much of a difference at all with the multiplayer. Battle.net does indeed look so much better. Blizzard will still sell games based on their rep from years ago but they are nowhere near what they were years ago. I'll be shocked if Blizzard even comes close to doing better than Bioware and ArenaNet now.

I would not be surprised if SC2 outsells GW2.  I would even bet that people will still be playing SC2 in large regular numbers long after GW2 is run by a skeleton crew and most people have moved on to something new to play.

Right now on the East Coast server alone 40k people are playing WC3 and that game is 10 years old.

• PureChaosPureChaos Member Posts: 839

Originally posted by zymurgeist

Actually Starcraft 2 is shaping up nicely. RTS was always their forte. I'll preach a little heresy here. It doesn't have to be the original crew to make a great sequel. Matter of fact sometimes it's better if it isn't.  People tend to stay truer to a concept if they're trying to preserve the feeling of someone elses work. 

Starcraft 2 is great

Battle.net 2.0 however............................................ missing alot of basics with very few new things.

I find a fallacy in people's logic when it comes to SC2.  Some people use the  complaint that "it is nothing new", but people that like Blizzard's line of RTS do not want "new" they want refinement of the old.  Most do not want the wheel that is Blizzard RTS remade, but they want a little more balance and a little new tread while keeping the wheel mostly the same.  Why make something totally new to satisfy new people while pissing off the crapload of people that currently play, have played and love, and new people that want to play SC1 2.0?  It makes no sense. 

Games that work in series offer new refinements to keep their current users...not make something new and risk pissing them off.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Originally posted by Horusra

I would not be surprised if SC2 outsells GW2.  I would even bet that people will still be playing SC2 in large regular numbers long after GW2 is run by a skeleton crew and most people have moved on to something new to play.

Right now on the East Coast server alone 40k people are playing WC3 and that game is 10 years old.

There is still a ton of people who play Guild Wars and ArenaNet has actually added new content  while players wait for Guild Wars 2.  Because SC2 is insanely popular in Asia it would not be too far fetched to think that SC2 can outsell just about any mmo. The fact is that Blizzard is still riding the coatails of their success 10 years ago so games like SC2 and Diablo 3 are nostaligic games and no matter what people think many gamers will buy those games.

One man's nostaligic game is anothers fun.  GW1 is a limited rather uninspired attempt at an instanced single player game that you can take friend on with you.  repetative and rather boring, but those are opinions much like your views on Blizzard games.  in my opinion Blizzard is not on coattails because they always turn out quality.  Might not be fun to you, but they do not slack off and say..."We are Blizzard just buy it."  They try to make a game that they people that play their games will enjoy every time.  I do not want them to try and satisfy you, a person that will hate them if they crapped golden eggs for you.  I want them to satisfy me, someone that has loved WC1 - 3 and SC1. 

I do not like single player RPGs so diablo, Mass Effect, Oblivion, Fallout all bore me no matter the company.  They are all quality games, but I get bored in single player RPG and do not feel motivated to finish them.

• qombiqombi Member UncommonPosts: 1,170

Originally posted by Rzep

Originally posted by Arquiteto

Don't you worry guys I'm sure these cut features will be coming to an Item shop near YOU!!

When you think Blizzard is respectable just remind yourself of how they used the make a wish foundation to introduce their item shop. Hey lets create 2 pets and give half of the proceeds to make a wish foundation. People wont complain because its for  a good cause. Then they have their way to introduce items in the future. AND THATS HOW THE WOW ITEM SHOP CAME TO BE.

The Original blizzard was great. Current Blizzard is nickle and diming people in all their titles. $2.99 a month for a mobile auction house  that could further ruin the economy ingame? Starcraft being released in 3 different box sets. So in the end it costs $180. If they cared about fun why do they ignore unbalanced servers where one faction rules 10 to 1. They cancelled these features because it was going to take more work than planned. Therefore costing them more money.

You talk about all these optional things as if they were forced upon you and you have no choice but to buy them. "Oh golly gee they made an iphone app for the auction house thats is useless to over 95% of the people playings, I sure do hope mommy is home so I can use her credit card to buy this." "Oh noes teh item shop only gives half of the revenues to charity. Those money hungry douchebags should be giving 100%, although I have never before gave a shit about any charity Ima gonna rage and whine till someone listens." This is what I see in your post.

I underlined what I saw in your obnoxious post. You may be okay with paying more for less but some of us are not. The consumer is in control of what they will buy, and I choose to say no.

• Stimos8Stimos8 Member UncommonPosts: 163

I know, i personally think that blizzard is a fantastic company and helps out alot with all sorts of issues. You always here people that have no idea what they are saying speaking bad about them. I mean if they werent here in the first place than we wouldnt have some amazing games like WoW. Ontop of that it wouldnt be easy trying to manage millions of peoples accounts properly and yet they still manage to stand on top and do a fairly good job of it.

• DerWotanDerWotan Member Posts: 1,012

Funny how people still think the Blizzard we all loved would be still the same...in fact its Activisionblizzard you know the fat monster Kotick has now a say with Blizzard. Just think about the Path of the Titans, Guild Talents or the 30 % StarCraft II fullpriced - thats not Blizzard thats Activisionblizzard.

Their focus is now on shareholders, investors instead of gamers which will lead to rushed releases, lower quality and catering to the lowest comon denominator.

We need a MMORPG Cataclysm asap, finish the dark age of MMORPGS now!

"Everything you're bitching about is wrong. People don't have the time to invest in corpse runs, impossible zones, or long winded quests. Sometimes, they just want to pop on and play."
    "Then maybe MMORPGs aren't for you."

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by Horusra

One man's nostaligic game is anothers fun.  GW1 is a limited rather uninspired attempt at an instanced single player game that you can take friend on with you.  repetative and rather boring, but those are opinions much like your views on Blizzard games.  in my opinion Blizzard is not on coattails because they always turn out quality.  Might not be fun to you, but they do not slack off and say..."We are Blizzard just buy it."  They try to make a game that they people that play their games will enjoy every time.  I do not want them to try and satisfy you, a person that will hate them if they crapped golden eggs for you.  I want them to satisfy me, someone that has loved WC1 - 3 and SC1. 

I do not like single player RPGs so diablo, Mass Effect, Oblivion, Fallout all bore me no matter the company.  They are all quality games, but I get bored in single player RPG and do not feel motivated to finish them.

It's the age old tale, those who are in the position of succes and are on top become risk and innovation averse, because all change could affect their top position, those who are still climbing to the top are far more prone to innovate and try out new stuff. You see it with music companies (did the major ones really think CD sales would be the same forever and internet go away??), in the IT business, and you also see it in games.

There's not that much innovation or change to be expected from companies as SOE, EA or Activision Blizzard.

Now 5-10 years ago, Blizzard did risk and innovate in a number of way, SC's 3 races and the way they worked, the step up from WC2 to WC3 in storytelling and heroes addition, their taking a big risk that paid off in stepping from RTS and hack&slash RPG into the MMORPG genre.

Compared to that, the last few years show not much risk nor change in their (upcoming) games and expansions, as could be expected: it's more consolidation and polish and finetuning their games to increase profit with what they have. Nothing that strange about it, a lot of large companies do it, very few pioneer. Personally I like the way Apple and Nintendo keep doings though.

Also how ArenaNet changes the complete game from GW to GW2, now those are major steps.

I was a huge fan of WC3 and SC, so I will try out SC2 for the campaign, and decide after that if I'm going to buy the other 2. I'm not in that automatic-buy mode anymore when it comes to Blizzard games, it's more 'play and see'.

Like with companies, the same applies to people: you will have people who can play SC or WC3 for 10 years straight, and those who love it but think after a year or 2 playing it 'time for something else'. Some gamers don't need or want change and don't mind things to stay the same, others are looking for more innovation for their entertainment and to prevent them from getting bored. Room enough for everyone and all kinds of games.

Personally I think it's time for some evolution and innovation, the MMO market could use some shaking up.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• bobbadudbobbadud Member Posts: 268

Here are some quotes from:SaintViktor dated... 2007: Quote:

"As far as WOW being down in 2007 there is that chance it might.  Alot of new mmo's are coming out this year ...Sorry but it seems like the WOW days are fading away."

"WOW will definitely lose people to Warhammer, LOTR,Guild Wars2 and Age of Conan."

"WOW has 8.5 mill only because they have had a head start in creating a large fan base from the Warcraft series ..."

"I bet once the other new MMOs hit the market you will see WOW numbers go down. TBC expansion doesn't offer enough content to keep WOW players busy for a decent time. ..."

3.5 years ago (... and + 3 million extra subs ... ) and still putting on the same old record ...

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/userPosts/600412/page/336

-

The sad truth is that Bizzard introduced newer game mechanics than those so called new MMo's.

-

A-d even in the "newest newer ones" - edition 2011, I see already the same mistakes: for one : NOT having a true 3D built up world but rather creating a playing platform with 2D painted backdrops of mountains ... you'll never reach.

It’s embarrassing when an NPC compliments you in an MMo, the only relevant, cool and epic things come from players whispering you “Grtz, mate, we did it”. copyright Pilnkplonk

• NiakadNiakad Member Posts: 36

Recently, I've stumbled over a short history of the company.

Quite an interesting read.

• AercusAercus Member UncommonPosts: 775

WoW had a smooth polished release.

No it didn't.  Even if you don't consider the server and queue issues there were a lot of problems at launch.  It certainly wasn't awful or in a category to be remarked on when discussing the cream of the crop bad launches but it sure as hell was not a smooth, polished release.

Of course, this has always been a testament to me as to how good a game it was for many out there.  Because considering all the issues people kept coming to it in droves.

I guess it's relative to the person.

I remember one bug. When you mined certain resource nodes you'd stick to them. Like one out of a hundred.

Or falling through the world...or vanishing zepplins/boats...or unattackable/releashing mobs....the polymorph issues, etc.

There was a lot more going on than just the harvest/loot bugs so not sure what you're talking about.

Found some funny posts from WoW's "smooth polished release":

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/28119/Crash-Crash-Crash-queued-lol.html

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/28069/Whats-up-with-the-que-system.html

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/28550/Might-as-well-Quit-WoW.html

Want more?

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/27029/Constant-Crashes.html

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/28037/WoW-Launch-Problems.html

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/28436/Server-Stability.html

Even more?

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/28366/Let-the-Hacks-begin.html

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/28912/omg-hack-in-this-game.html

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/29199/Major-problems-in-support-forums.html

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/29322/A-possible-solution-to-installation-and-patch-corruption-problems.html

Still not satisfied?

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/29968/New-Patch-Notes.html

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/29792/graphic-probs.html

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/29582/2-Weeks-of-WoW-and.html

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/30261/WTF-this-game-is-contantly-down-or-jacked-up.html

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/30288/Anyone-like-me-cant-get-in-WoW.html

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/30115/Monday-morning-Is-anyone-else-not-able-to-log-in-.html

And to end of with the classic horror for anyone who played the first month:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/30267/Error-132.html

Irrelevant information.

Since the game went from 300.000 (players) from your "linked information" to 11.500.000 players now.

Far more relevant information would be to include all newer game mechanics Blizzard introduced in the MMo fiield that kept it growing faster in a polished than all the "WOW killers" combined X 100.

Concentrate on the future instead of focusing on irrelevant info of the Middle Ages of MMO design.

It’s embarrassing when an NPC compliments you in an MMo, the only relevant, cool and epic things come from players whispering you “Grtz, mate, we did it”. copyright Pilnkplonk

• HYPERI0NHYPERI0N Member Posts: 3,515

Originally posted by bobbadud

Irrelevant information.

Since the game went from 300.000 (players) from your "linked information" to 11.500.000 players now.

Far more relevant information would be to include all newer game mechanics Blizzard introduced in the MMo fiield that kept it growing faster in a polished than all the "WOW killers" combined X 100.

Concentrate on the future instead of fosuing on irrelevant info of the Middle Ages of MMO design.

Hardly irrelevent.

The OP basically stated Blizzard released completed and stable software. But what happened at launch of wow proves otherwise.

The fact that wow is now stable and hasbillions of players doesant invalidate this fact.

Another great example of Moore's Law. Give people access to that much space (developers and users alike) and they'll find uses for it that you can never imagine. "640K ought to be enough for anybody" - Bill Gates 1981

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Irrelevant information.

Concentrate on the future instead of focusing on irrelevant info of the Middle Ages of MMO design.

It's maybe irrelevant to you, but not irrelevant to the post discussion he included in his post, where he included proof for the statements regarding launch.

I'd go so far and say that your post was more the case of irrelevant information to his post.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• uquipuuquipu Member Posts: 1,516

Originally posted by Aercus

You're using mmorpg.com as a reference?
    lol

Well shave my back and call me an elf! -- Oghren

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

lol

What's the deal with the dots man? If you're going to take the time to use correct spelling, maybe you can also find the time to consider losing the dots. It's childish, and frankly kind of odd. Although it's not as weird as the attention seeking "look at my posts, notice my posts" camp that insist on using a unique colour scheme every time they hit post message.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

lol

Well, I played the first month... ot at least I tried on occation. Had forgotten all about the Error #132 in the time that passed, but it came back to me as I read that post :)

I guess you were not in US launch, otherwise you would never had made such a ridiculous statement. WoW is a brilliant, highly polished game today. At launch however, it was no different than any other launch before or after.

Well, I played the first month... ot at least I tried on occation. Had forgotten all about the Error #132 in the time that passed, but it came back to me as I read that post :)

I guess you were not in US launch, otherwise you would never had made such a ridiculous statement. WoW is a brilliant, highly polished game today. At launch however, it was no different than any other launch before or after.

That's why discussing these things now is irrelevant. How many were playing in that first month ? 300K?

Since then how many played WOW in a highly polished way? 15, 20 million, probably more?

So for 19.700.000 people it still is very much irrelevant, that's 98%. That 2% is not even represented here and they too (!) talk about it, .... just like anything else Blizzard does or does not.

The vast majority of these "problems" came from the growth that game saw in its first 6 months (first in the US and later in EU). 

The problems you still want to argue about are as dead as the problems of the first I-Pod production compared to the lastest  models now.

it's an anecdote, nothing more nothing less.

You better concentrate at what you see "today" and what I see today is not reassuring for those new mmo's at all.

And I am talking DESIGN features here (like not having a true 3D rendered world but going for "window dressing" to paint a picture in the background and using a starship to camouflage graphics loading screens for planets).

THAT is polishment ... and no new AAA MMO title is going anywhere without one of those fundamental things like a true 3D world model in which you can go anywhere.

That is polishment. Simple.

That's why discussing these things now is irrelevant. How many were playing in that first month ? 300K?

Since then how many played WOW in a highly polished way? 15, 20 million, probably more?

So for 19.700.000 people it still is very much irrelevant, that's 98%. That 2% is not even represented here and they too (!) talk about it, .... just like anything else Blizzard does or does not.

The vast majority of these "problems" came from the growth that game saw in its first 6 months (first in the US and later in EU). 

The problems you stil want to argue about are as dead as the problems of the first I-Pod production compared to the lastest  models now.

it's an anecdote, nothing more nothing less.

You better concentrate at what you see "today" and what I see today is not reassuring for those new mmo's at all.

And I am talking DESIGN features here (like not having a true 3D rendered world but going for "window dressing" to paint a picture in the background and using a starship to camouflage graphics loading screens for planets).

THAT is polishment ... and no new AAA MMO title is going anywhere without one of those fundamental things like a true 3D world model you can go anywhere.

Simple.

I was refering to Horusra's and uquipu's statements of WoW being polished at launch. Claiming that is just historical revisionism. What happened after is out of scope of my comment.

I was not referring to you directly. Sorry if that got mixed up.

BTW no one has to respect a big company like Blizzard.

We simply need to be FAR more critical to all those new hyped projects - mostly based on thin air before having proven anything.