Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Another huge blow has been dealt to TOR

Comments

• Vash14132Vash14132 Member UncommonPosts: 21

Originally posted by MMO_Doubter

Originally posted by EricDanie

This thread is flawed from the moment it was based on a November 2009 play guide.

They have already announced a non-human playable race.

A differently-coloured human, no?

What? I guarantee the Trandoshan screenshots we have seen PLENTY of will be a playable race. You're name definatly fits your style of writing though.

• greed0104greed0104 Member Posts: 2,134

Originally posted by EricDanie

This thread is flawed from the moment it was based on a November 2009 play guide.

They have already announced a non-human playable race.

A differently-coloured human, no?

So aliens are only based on  features? So I guess a wookie is a human with Hirsutism, and was never educated which explains the girgle grunting sounds.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

And even if human was the only playable race at launch, that wouldn't be all that shocking to me.  A game company is a business.  They generally want their product to be popular for a long period of time, not just immediately after they release their product.  I would imagine that holding back some features in order to preserve longevity would be a pretty wise business plan.  There is probably a decent amount of content already finished or close to finished that won't be released until the first expansion.  That's what these companies do.  They wait until everyone is clamouring for more content, then they give it to you before too many people get fed up.  Look at Blizzard, they are an excellent example.  If I were Bioware, I wouldn't put all my eggs in one basket.  I'd stash some away for when I'm hungry again =P

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056

Originally posted by maskedweasel

What does liking star wars have to do with being interested in TOR?

WOW. That`s the best straight line someone has fed me in a long time. I`m going to let it pass, so you can think about your question and consider the possible answers.

Do you have to like the warcraft series to play warcraft?  Do I have to like the DC universe to play DCUO?  

You have to like them to care about whether the game is true to the IP. Like including iconic content like aliens and space combat (for this IP).

I think the funniest question I've seen so far, mostly by those that speak poorly of this game is "Why didn't they release information about this then if its going to be in the game?"   

What a catch-22 for MMO developers.  If they release all the information up front but don't deliver then they get beaten down for it.

That`s true, but if they have nothing to show of crafting, space combat, and end game this late in development...

Likewise if they release the information gradually, they get berated for it because suddenly they're incompetent.  

Oh, but they have plenty of people to defend them, it seems.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• Vash14132Vash14132 Member UncommonPosts: 21

Originally posted by DAS1337

And even if human was the only playable race at launch, that wouldn't be all that shocking to me.  A game company is a business.  They generally want their product to be popular for a long period of time, not just immediately after they release their product.  I would imagine that holding back some features in order to preserve longevity would be a pretty wise business plan.  There is probably a decent amount of content already finished or close to finished that won't be released until the first expansion.  That's what these companies do.  They wait until everyone is clamouring for more content, then they give it to you before too many people get fed up.  Look at Blizzard, they are an excellent example.  If I were Bioware, I wouldn't put all my eggs in one basket.  I'd stash some away for when I'm hungry again =P

Which in my opinion Biowares hidden eggs will be player housing/ship combat, (Maybe even combining the two, your ship is your house, and able to be customized on the inside.)

Originally posted by Vash14132

Originally posted by DAS1337

Which in my opinion Biowares hidden eggs will be player housing/ship combat, (Maybe even combining the two, your ship is your house, and able to be customized on the inside.)

Hopefully that is the case.

• A space Experience will be in game, its still being worked on - Machinima

Doesn't exactly mean space combat is in the game, could mean just exploration or player driven travel. I don't really have a clue they have a unique way of explaining things, Beta = Game Testing, etc. If combat is in the game I hope it's very well done, if they're unsure save it for future content.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

You have to like them to care about whether the game is true to the IP. Like including iconic content like aliens and space combat (for this IP).

You don't think they know that? Seriously? Even SWG was released without space combat and it did fine (until the NGE of course).

That`s true, but if they have nothing to show of crafting, space combat, and end game this late in development...

Is it that they have nothing to show or nothing to show yet? They still have a year + most likely until release. We'll be learning a LOT about this game in the time. They JUST released their first detailed class information lol.

Bioware has earned my respect and my trust for what they've done in the past. Sure, it's their first MMO, but you've gotta start somewhere and with their track record I do have faith they'll be able to pull it off.

You just need to stop trolling on a game you obviously hate and have no interest or faith in. Don't play it. Vote with you dollars. Leave us alone lol. 

Your dissent does nothing but.... show dissent. 

• VoltlivesVoltlives Member Posts: 280

The amount of money being poured in to this IP is staggering, time will clear things up.  Trust me.

END OF LINE_

~V

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

WOW. That`s the best straight line someone has fed me in a long time. I`m going to let it pass, so you can think about your question and consider the possible answers.

Do you have to like the warcraft series to play warcraft?  Do I have to like the DC universe to play DCUO?  

I think the funniest question I've seen so far, mostly by those that speak poorly of this game is "Why didn't they release information about this then if its going to be in the game?"   

What a catch-22 for MMO developers.  If they release all the information up front but don't deliver then they get beaten down for it.

Likewise if they release the information gradually, they get berated for it because suddenly they're incompetent.  

Sorry, but you don't have to like an IP to play an IP.   I'm not a big star wars fan, most of what I know about star wars I learned from playing star wars games.  I've seen the films, and they don't inspire me to play the games.  The games inspire me to play the games.

It would be like being a fan of the comics of something and then going to see the movies of that same comic.  Many times the films are terrible,  but some stand out eventhough they don't follow the stories specifically.  In this case (TOR) you don't have to worry about that so much seeing as how this particular part of the IP hasn't been written by anyone except BioWare.

You may have to like them to care about the little things, but games are made to appeal to broader ranges of players, not just for the guy who draws out the schematics of the ebon hawk.

And, late in development?  I didn't know you had inside information on the exact release date of the game and know their development cycle first hand. You know how late it is in development for them?  They must be running months behind schedule.  As far as I knew, they have about a year to polish this game, but I must be mistaken.  Let me know what the real timeline is, I must have missed something.

Why defend them?  Why knock them?  Why do anything?  Whats the point of any of it?  If someones around to knock them, why can't someone be around to defend them?  We should put the whole forum on trial.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

Originally posted by jiveturkey12

Well if the leaked guide is true, which it seems pretty legit...

No Races besides human in TOR.

Which in my opinion is just completely unacceptable. That was a fan want and need that seemed like a joke to not include a year ago.

Now people have just started to accept it going "O well they will add them in later" or "Who cares, id rather see more models for humans anyways."

The truth is, not having multiple races to choose from isnt going to help the game out in any way, its just plain lazy, thats all there is too it. But then again everything that has been coming from the TOR camp lately has seemed lazy, companions all being the same, talent tree style "Sub classes" (yea right!), not to mention no space to date or anything that even seems remotely star Wars like.

I mean thats what kills it for me, they keep saying all this stuff about how "Heroic" the game is going to be, but to be heroic do you really have to remove every race that wasnt a main character, and every class or proffesion that wasnt shown in gross detail in the movies?

Also just so you know, if the leaked guide is said to be fake or whatever, I still stand by all my comments, the leaked guide only made me speak out, it didnt determine every conclusion i have made.

I could care less for how many races are available to choose from. I've been following this game ever since Bioware announced it was developing one. It looks like it will be fun so I'll give it a shot. No big deal to me. I think it's more disturbing that players like yourself are trying their best to negatively effect something that YOU have the ultimate descision to participate in if  you choose to do so. No pressure to join.

But why, for the life of me, you cannnot just forget about the game and just realize it's not the Star Wars game for you. Your stock is not tied to it, your social life is not hanging in the balance nor is your reputation.

So this weak little rumor does not waiver my ability to come to my own conclusion of if TOR warrants my further attention and possible money. Truth is I give a lot more merit to neutral stances on the matter rather than ones that display a already negative one. Becuase those are the ones that are already convinced that TOR is a worthless cause, so why should I waste my time in a discussion with someone with a close mind about it?

So maybe you should follow this same advice and give up on players that have already decided to follow TOR a little bit longer before making a final descision?

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

Originally posted by heerobya

Bioware has earned my respect and my trust for what they've done in the past. Sure, it's their first MMO, but you've gotta start somewhere and with their track record I do have faith they'll be able to pull it off.

You just need to stop trolling on a game you obviously hate and have no interest or faith in. Don't play it. Vote with you dollars. Leave us alone lol. 

Your dissent does nothing but.... show dissent. 

When you resort to invoking faith, you`re running out of arguments. Faith has been shown to be misplaced with many recent releases.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

Not all KoTOR fans were SW fans. A good RPG is all it took.

I didn't like the Warcraft RTS games but play WoW. Nope, I prefer the CnC series, mostly generals despite the bugs. Do you think everybody that picked up AoC were conan fans or everybody that picked up WAR loved the warhammer RTS or table top games. Nope.

Would have thought the same about races and classes, we got all classes on the table not to long ago and races are just now poping up.

Combating misinformationg is defending them?

Originally posted by Voltlives

The amount of money being poured in to this IP is staggering, time will clear things up.  Trust me.

END OF LINE_

~V

A ton of money didn`t make WH Online a good game.

• WilliacWilliac Member Posts: 212

Please, PLEASE stop with this constant fear. We know very little and alot can change from now 'til release. 

Do you really think humans will be the only playable class? It's Star Wars! It's all about space, races and lightsabers. If any of these things are missing it's not a Star Wars game. Now, calm down and wait until you can actually play the game yourself. Until then no one can tell whether you're going to enjoy it.

Please stop making fear threads until we have the game out.

When you resort to invoking faith, you`re running out of arguments. Faith has been shown to be misplaced with many recent releases.

At least I try using arguments rather then just trolling and adding NOTHING to the debate but misinformation and dissent for the sake of dissent.

Saying "SW:ToR will suck because I say it will suck" does nothing.

Saying "SW:ToR will have playable races beyond just humans because.... and then showing evidence to support one's position adds to the discussion by eliminating misinformation. 

• musicmannmusicmann Member UncommonPosts: 1,095

Originally posted by Voltlives

END OF LINE_

~V

A ton of money didn`t make WH Online a good game.

Are you just here to troll, bitch and moan. I mean seriously, it's just a freaking game. Why is it that some people get so caught up in their own bull just to hate on something that they won't even play. With you we get it. You don't like TOR, never will. You know what though, that's ok, you and your chosen game, whatever that may be will be fine. No need to bash this one.

Originally posted by Williac

Please, PLEASE stop with this constant fear. We know very little and alot can change from now 'til release. 

Do you really think humans will be the only playable class? It's Star Wars! It's all about space, races and lightsabers. If any of these things are missing it's not a Star Wars game. Now, calm down and wait until you can actually play the game yourself. Until then no one can tell whether you're going to enjoy it.

Please stop making fear threads until we have the game out.

It has already been confirmed more races will be playable in ToR, one having already been announced besides Human.

I wouldn't even consider these threads to be about fear, just uninformed guesses. Premature thread ejaculation.

Originally posted by heerobya

At least I try using arguments rather then just trolling and adding NOTHING to the debate but misinformation and dissent for the sake of dissent.

Saying "SW:ToR will suck because I say it will suck" does nothing.

I have never made a post like that, so I guess you are talking to someone else. In that case, you shouldn`t have quoted me.

I have seen ``SWTOR will be good because I have faith in BioWare`posts, though.

Saying "SW:ToR will have playable races beyond just humans because.... and then showing evidence to support one's position adds to the discussion by eliminating misinformation. 

You see, red or green or blue skinned humans don`t count as alien, unless it`s the original series of Star Trek. WIth all the amazing lifeforms the IP has shown us, resorting to this is an insult.

You see, red or green or blue skinned humans don`t count as alien, unless it`s the original series of Star Trek. WIth all the amazing lifeforms the IP has shown us, resorting to this is an insult.

And humans with fur or humans with antennae and bug eyes or humans with scales or humans with claws or 1389457934 other examples of "aliens" created using simple costumes and make up are EXACTLY the same thing.

SW:ToR will have both. Colored humans as aliens and humans with extra bits as aliens.

Jabba the Hutt was like.. one of the only "real" alien creatures of intelligence in the original Star Wars. aaaand he was just a big slug.

You know they'll only do humanoid aliens for the sake of reusing animations. Any video game company, especially one making a MMO, will do that. 

If you want I can run through a list of SW aliens and how they are human with extra bits or different colored humans. 

• NytakitoNytakito Member Posts: 381

I suppose we could look at this argument from a different perspective...

If all these people who are positive that this game will fail, and vocal about it, don't play the game, then the community should be great! 

I envision a SW:TOR MMO with millions of happy players, and some little indy MMO, which sucks, but is HARDCORE, full of people not really enjoying the game beyond the fact that they can post that they play something other than SW:TOR.. While spending all their ingame time complaining about the game they don't play..

tl;dr

Get me my lightsabre, it's the one that says bad mother^%#@!&.  For the rest of you, there's always Mortal Online or something similar..  You'll get you're ultra real graphics, and more importantly.. No voice overs or companion characters..

"If I'd asked my customers what they wanted, they'd have said a faster horse." - Henry Ford

Except for the names of the game and company involved, the defenses offered here are little different than I have seen for half a dozen recent releases. This could honestly be the STO forum of 8 months ago, frankly.

• ChirugaiChirugai Member UncommonPosts: 304

Please stay on topic and refrain from personal attacks.

Fortune favours the bold.

Except for the names of the game and company involved

The name of the game and company involved is EVERYTHING.

Take out those two variables and we could be talking about... anything really.

Invalid argument. 

All personal bias for or against Bioware as a company aside, they have direct access to Lucasarts, keepers of the Star Wars license.

And though we forum trolls may feel we are smarter and better, there is a reason we do NOT work for Bioware nor do we work for Lucasarts as a master of all things cannon.

And yes, our faith in developers has been stretched with a bad string of recently poor releases, but look no further then Hollywood to realize that these things come in waves... 

Comic book movies. 

Spider Man 1, X-men 1, Fantastic 4 (first).. high quality. 

Spider Man 2/3, X-Men 2/3, Hulk with Eric Bana, Dare Devil, Fantastic 4 Silver Surfer... all garbage.

Iron Man, Hulk with Ed Norton, Iron Man 2 (supposedly I haven't seen it) very very good.

Originally posted by Chirugai

Please stay on topic and refrain from personal attacks.

There is nothing more to this thread, humans are not the only race in the game. If anything this thread should  be locked. The rest will just be flaming and trolling, what else is there to add to the OPs misinformed post? Should we discuss how wrong he is even further?

• x3r0hx3r0h Member Posts: 186

Originally posted by Nytakito

I suppose we could look at this argument from a different perspective...

If all these people who are positive that this game will fail, and vocal about it, don't play the game, then the community should be great! 

I envision a SW:TOR MMO with millions of happy players, and some little indy MMO, which sucks, but is HARDCORE, full of people not really enjoying the game beyond the fact that they can post that they play something other than SW:TOR.. While spending all their ingame time complaining about the game they don't play..

tl;dr

Get me my lightsabre, it's the one that says bad mother^%#@!&.  For the rest of you, there's always Mortal Online or something similar..  You'll get you're ultra real graphics, and more importantly.. No voice overs or companion characters..

Your logic, sir, preceeds you! I completely agree. Take for example lotro, I see none of the elitist attitude I experienced in other MMOs. Its simply a great community with like-minded individuals! Perhaps for other reasons, lotro has a great community, whoever I too seeing the negativity outside the circle, and those who truly enjoy swtor inside it!

__________________________________________________________________________________________
    "Your pride, good sir, far exceeds your worth." -x3r0h

Oldest mmorpg.com member with the least amount of post counts. That counts for something, right?