Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Craft of Gods - My first impressions

MalakhonMalakhon Member UncommonPosts: 224

First, let me say that I was hoping for a game where you actually get to start out an emergent demi-god not a "Go collect 10 rat skins and turn them in" guy.

It would be amazing to have a game where you start off in a zone  with a small village of your followers. Instead of Crafting, you go out into the game world and rescue/kidnap a Blacksmith or Artisan of some kind, bring them back the goods and they turn your stuff into a relic. A small change in the mechanic but with more appeal.

As you quest, your people could build you statues and weave tapestry glorifying you, and depending on what you do on the quests, your village grows into a twisted malefic land of doom and terror, Dark-shadowy city of discord and chaos,  glorious city-state of light, or a garden of tranquilic harmony, depending on how you played the game (or some bizzare admixture)

Having said that, this game isnt like that at all.

GRAPHICS:

You start off with graphics very similar to a game like "Dark Ages of Camelot" with an interface slightly above that, but slightly below a guild war or everquest II. 

SOUND:

Not my biggest deal, but there was no ambience like the nearer you get to something the more you notice the babbling brook like in Lord of the Rings or World of Warcraft, instead I would say this sound was equivilant to Dark Ages of Camelot.

CHARACTER CUSTOMIZATION:

First, I am on the trial. It let me log into the game server and create my character and then as I hit "OK" after I had tweaked and adjusted, it said "You can't play on this server". If I can't play on that server, then why did you let me try to make a character on it?

Second, the character models are kind of cheesy. "Well you can be sort of a human...or another sort of human, or basically a human with fangs, or another kind of human, or basically an orc....have fun."

None of them looked like Gods.

I was thinking "Dayum, if  I had half the programming talent needed to make a game like this that they do, I would have let you play something like a Giglamesh Warrior-King or an ancient Naga, if I had anything to choose from "Regular dude" and "Regular Dude but they are all evil" wouldn't be my choosing.  A solid gold giant? a Winged Avatar? A demon pit lord, a River Sprite? yeah thats the kind of stuff that becomes a Titan and then a God.

CLASSLESS:

When I finally got into the trial server, I made sort of an orc dude. I was going to be a Warrior/Healer, I had 3 ability points, and then sank them into probably useless 0 point skills. I hope there is a respec later.  Rather than let you feel some progression the game makes you grind three levels to learn one new thing...the opposite of carrot on a stick, its more like stick on a carrot that you get beaten with.

I like the idea of being able to choose what powers I want, I do not like the idea of them being so stingy that  I get nothing for 2 levels before the third. The progression should be differnt, so new players are learning the basics rapidly and then the old timers can grind out that last epic.

GAME PLAY:

You start off in some sort of generic forest, next to a dude who says "Hello" if you click on him. If you are anything like me You guess maybe the quest is broken and run for about 5 minutes to a portal because no one in any of the villages (crocodile people, who would have made a good playable race) who say anything or even move around. You get the feeling the designers played about 5 minutes on World of Warcraft's night elf starting zone and decided to try something like that.

If you try to tame any mount, I tried wolves and rats and both failed.

Then you'd eventually figure out that had you right clicked on the "HELLO", then you could have chosen it as a quest, but as that is non-intuitive, and since he had one quest you may be assuming the game would automatically show you the quest text, and maybe that guy would have told you something about how to play.

Too late though, you are in a new land surrounded by 7th level rats and only 1st level, and you can't get back, so you quit and come here to warn people

"This could be a good game if the designers;

-Were more creative and let people play things that were 'cool'

-Added an actual demigod component and didn't just make it 'collect 10 things for me apprentice'

-Made the game more intuitive and didn't penalize you for doing things you shouldn't, (close off the server choice for trial players for instance, make pick a quest more intuitive, etc)

-Polished it more sound and graphic wise, made towns seem less static and pointless.

Comments

• darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804

Canceled

p>
  • Psym0nPsym0n Member UncommonPosts: 283

Originally posted by Malakhon

First, let me say that I was hoping for a game where you actually get to start out an emergent demi-god not a "Go collect 10 rat skins and turn them in" guy.

It would be amazing to have a game where you start off in a zone  with a small village of your followers. Instead of Crafting, you go out into the game world and rescue/kidnap a Blacksmith or Artisan of some kind, bring them back the goods and they turn your stuff into a relic. A small change in the mechanic but with more appeal.

As you quest, your people could build you statues and weave tapestry glorifying you, and depending on what you do on the quests, your village grows into a twisted malefic land of doom and terror, Dark-shadowy city of discord and chaos,  glorious city-state of light, or a garden of tranquilic harmony, depending on how you played the game (or some bizzare admixture)

Having said that, this game isnt like that at all.

GRAPHICS:

You start off with graphics very similar to a game like "Dark Ages of Camelot" with an interface slightly above that, but slightly below a guild war or everquest II. 

SOUND:

Not my biggest deal, but there was no ambience like the nearer you get to something the more you notice the babbling brook like in Lord of the Rings or World of Warcraft, instead I would say this sound was equivilant to Dark Ages of Camelot.

CHARACTER CUSTOMIZATION:

First, I am on the trial. It let me log into the game server and create my character and then as I hit "OK" after I had tweaked and adjusted, it said "You can't play on this server". If I can't play on that server, then why did you let me try to make a character on it?

Second, the character models are kind of cheesy. "Well you can be sort of a human...or another sort of human, or basically a human with fangs, or another kind of human, or basically an orc....have fun."

None of them looked like Gods.

I was thinking "Dayum, if  I had half the programming talent needed to make a game like this that they do, I would have let you play something like a Giglamesh Warrior-King or an ancient Naga, if I had anything to choose from "Regular dude" and "Regular Dude but they are all evil" wouldn't be my choosing.  A solid gold giant? a Winged Avatar? A demon pit lord, a River Sprite? yeah thats the kind of stuff that becomes a Titan and then a God.

CLASSLESS:

When I finally got into the trial server, I made sort of an orc dude. I was going to be a Warrior/Healer, I had 3 ability points, and then sank them into probably useless 0 point skills. I hope there is a respec later.  Rather than let you feel some progression the game makes you grind three levels to learn one new thing...the opposite of carrot on a stick, its more like stick on a carrot that you get beaten with.

I like the idea of being able to choose what powers I want, I do not like the idea of them being so stingy that  I get nothing for 2 levels before the third. The progression should be differnt, so new players are learning the basics rapidly and then the old timers can grind out that last epic.

GAME PLAY:

You start off in some sort of generic forest, next to a dude who says "Hello" if you click on him. If you are anything like me You guess maybe the quest is broken and run for about 5 minutes to a portal because no one in any of the villages (crocodile people, who would have made a good playable race) who say anything or even move around. You get the feeling the designers played about 5 minutes on World of Warcraft's night elf starting zone and decided to try something like that.

If you try to tame any mount, I tried wolves and rats and both failed.

Then you'd eventually figure out that had you right clicked on the "HELLO", then you could have chosen it as a quest, but as that is non-intuitive, and since he had one quest you may be assuming the game would automatically show you the quest text, and maybe that guy would have told you something about how to play.

Too late though, you are in a new land surrounded by 7th level rats and only 1st level, and you can't get back, so you quit and come here to warn people

"This could be a good game if the designers;

-Were more creative and let people play things that were 'cool'

-Added an actual demigod component and didn't just make it 'collect 10 things for me apprentice'

-Made the game more intuitive and didn't penalize you for doing things you shouldn't, (close off the server choice for trial players for instance, make pick a quest more intuitive, etc)

-Polished it more sound and graphic wise, made towns seem less static and pointless.

Dude, you made me laugh.. thought the same hehe. I would love to see this game tweeked and cool, but I guess the indie designers don't have the money to do that.

Goodbye CoG, it's been a fun ride, for five minutes then.

Cheers!