Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: ArenaNet Reveals Personal Story System Details

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

MMORPG.com's Michael Bitton breaks down the personal story system details revealed by ArenaNet's Lead Lore and Continuity Designer Ree Soesbee today.

The flow of information coming out of ArenaNet on Guild Wars 2 doesn't look like it will be stopping anytime soon, as today we're treated to a full overview of the game's personal story system, something we've only heard of in bits and pieces so far.

Guild Wars 2 Lore and Continuity Designer Ree Soesbee opens up with ArenaNet's philosophy when approaching storyline in an MMORPG, believing that the current reality of having to choose between a "game that you can play with your friends, or a game that has a satisfying personal story" will no longer be true with Guild Wars 2 as the team intends to provide players with both. The intention is to make player characters the star, to provide players with meaningful choices and decisions that impact the game world, and to surround them with NPC characters that are believable, possessing character flaws and resonate motivations, while ultimately fostering relationships with the player.

Read ArenaNet Reveals Personal Story System Details.

Comments

• KenaoshiKenaoshi Member UncommonPosts: 1,022

WOW, so we have a dinamic questing system and now a character system that do seems to make our characters more personal, no just a manequin for epic gear and our beloved and so wanted...

"Each character is given a home instance, personalized to their biography choices, located in their racial capital - Hoelbrak for the norn, the Grove for the sylvari, and so forth. Within this home area, things are more personalized to your character. Your home instance never stops updating; as your character becomes more involved in their story, it will alter accordingly."

and thats take the top cherry =p

wow, for a game that started "cheap and second option" it surelly taking some rank for an top AAA (if not a SSS) title.

Well, if they deliver HALF of what they are promissing im happy.

ps: fine now mr. Mike? image

now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

It's been awhile, but I think that's the first time anyone has "firsted" a story of mine. I'll let you slide!

Don't make me regret it, you better come through with that useful comment! :D

• PokemonTrainerRedPokemonTrainerRed Member UncommonPosts: 375

You know, the more I hear about Guild Wars 2 and it's features, the more I end up looking forward to the game. There's a lot of hype and promises given by A-Net, and this game could be the first of many that break the traditional mold, and make what I like to thing as a the next evolution of online gaming.

• VoltlivesVoltlives Member Posts: 280

GW2 is really making it hard for me to be my typical cynical self when it comes to the world of MMOs of late.  It has even given me reason to even "pitch" it to folks I have run guilds with in the past as a potential new home.  This isn't helping me to stay cynical!  I'm getting very intrigued and fastly becoming a steady watcher and waiter.  Nice bit of information, thanks!

END OF LINE_

~V

• YilelienYilelien Member UncommonPosts: 324

I find it interesting that we are getting so much from this game and yet it is a free game to play. THey could certainly put a hurting on the sub games if they are able to pull this off

• PokemonTrainerRedPokemonTrainerRed Member UncommonPosts: 375

You can really tell that was written by the storyline designer. His blogs just absorb you into his world that he's describing...gives me high hopes overall!

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

Originally posted by Yilelien

I find it interesting that we are getting so much from this game and yet it is a free game to play. THey could certainly put a hurting on the sub games if they are able to pull this off

I wouldn't really call it free to play, you still have to buy the game.

• jinxxed0jinxxed0 Member UncommonPosts: 841

I think guild wars 2 is becoming a last hope MMO for a lot of gamers that arent able enjoy generic games like WoW and have been disappointed by the recent games. With games like Blade and Soul and other simular games being so far, Guild Wars 2 is the only thing I have to look forward to. Im not a huge  star wars fan and honestly that game doesnt look like it'd hold be for a few years.

• NytakitoNytakito Member Posts: 381

The more they reveal, the more I like it, and the more I like it, the more I want it..

"If I'd asked my customers what they wanted, they'd have said a faster horse." - Henry Ford

• MareWindsMareWinds Member Posts: 46

My first reaction to this was, "Wow, that's a lot of work!" Now, I'm thinking (worried, for want of a better word) that they are creating a set of expectations for players that will be difficult to fulfill. These are outstanding features, but I sincerely hope that they do not release the game before it is ready, because broken hopes can kill a game. Players won't  want a release that "has the potential to eventually be developed as promised". We've experienced that before, and most of us don't come back if promises aren't met.

What I'm saying is that these features might be too good to be true, but I hope (there's that word again) that they can put the time and the work needed into making this happen, when it's released. If they do, I will definitely be checking out this game.

• I am loving everything I'm hearing about GW2, but I admire most the way they are managing the communication of the details.  My only worry is what happens when we've 'found it all out' and there's nothing more to look forward to.  Unless of course they have it all masterfully planned out so that new tidbits die out just as beta starts.

Actually what makes me most excited is that they are already playing with these systems in house and with focused play tests.  This means it is all more than paper plans.

• pojungpojung Member Posts: 810

A.Net is making all the right moves with GW2.

1. They aren't about profit, they are about the product. It starts here, and it shows. It's B2P, and they've proven through their first title they deliver and offer quality support for their product.

2. They are listening to the MMORPG audience- not the gaming audience. They've made the transition from instanced world, to open world. They are putting RPG back into MMORPG (read: the article)... hell, they're bringing the WORLD back to MMORPG's- a direct opposition to the lobby games that AAA themeparks have become.

3. Their PR has been straightforward and up-front about most every issue I've seen come to light, personally speaking. Rather than feed players hype, they feed them direct answers... *refreshing* in a market who seems hellbent on maintaining consumer interest through ploys, rather than earning that interest (no pun intended).

This game cannot come too soon. Or rather, I am willing to wait patiently for the release. Thank goodness some of the people at Blizzard had common sense: quitting that hot trash and making a new company that keeps to the theme of 'for gamers by gamers'.

Keep doing what you do, A.Net. image I'll have mine on collectors edition pre-order, please and thank you.

That is exactly right, and we're not saying NO to save WoW, because it is already a lost cause. We are saying NO to dissuade the next group of greedy suits who decide to emulate Blizzard and Cryptic, etc.
    We can prevent some of the future games from spewing this crap, but the sooner we start saying no, the better the results will be.
    So - Stand up, pull up your pants, and walk away.
    - MMO_Doubter

• PhelimReaghPhelimReagh Member UncommonPosts: 682

They keep raising expectations for this game, which makes me a bit nervous.

Whatever you do, ArenaNet, take your time and release it ONLY when it's ready and as bug-free as you can manage.

At the same time, I'd love to see this released at the same time as Cataclysm so a lot of people had a viable option before basically committing to WoW for another 6-12 months after Blizzard's expansion is released.

• LeononaLeonona Member UncommonPosts: 225
  • GajariGajari Member Posts: 984

Incredible. This game sounds like it's going to be the REAL next-gen MMO. 

On the other hand, I expect a buggy launch.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Originally posted by Gajari

Incredible. This game sounds like it's going to be the REAL next-gen MMO. 

On the other hand, I expect a buggy launch.

I don't expect a buggy launch. I think the game will be more than playable.  Theres a lot of information not released yet, and I'm not skeptical that they will do in some fashion what they say, its to what degree it will be done.  To know this, is to see it, so I hope they'll be able to release some good videos on this information in the near future.

• fansedefansede Member UncommonPosts: 960

well, nice promises. Let us hope this personal story thing means more than your characters name will be pasted on all dialogue in cinematics and NPC chat bubbles.

• PhelimReaghPhelimReagh Member UncommonPosts: 682

Originally posted by fansede

well, nice promises. Let us hope this personal story thing means more than your characters name will be pasted on all dialogue in cinematics and NPC chat bubbles.

Well had you'd bothered to read the article, you wouldn't have had to ask such a question.

• docminusdocminus Member Posts: 717

this sucks so much - in a postive way. I really didn't care for GW2 so far that much but now - I want it!!!!!

imageimage

• NeanderthalNeanderthal Member RarePosts: 1,861

I just hope they don't lock you out of parts of the world pending completion of story related quests/missions.  Being a free roaming type I really hate that.  Combine that with the fact that I know I won't give a damn about the story (it's just the way I am) and if I feel like I have to slog through it just so I can open up new areas to explore it's going to be damn tedious for me.

I like some of what I've heard about the game but story line stuff is always more likely to make me groan than tingle with excitement.

I'm still on the "will buy" side of the fence for now.  I just hope they don't restrict freedom too much for the sake of the story stuff.

• fansedefansede Member UncommonPosts: 960
  • NesrieNesrie Member Posts: 648

I want to be very optimistic about this game, but after the string of tales from other releases that were just false, it's hard to believe. I mean if ArenaNet isn't just building up a hype machine, they're talking about real innovation, and I don't mean innovation in the way they can find various ways to charge their customers over and over again either.

parrotpholk-Because we all know the miracle patch fairy shows up the night before release and sprinkles magic dust on the server to make it allllll better.

• lethyslethys Member UncommonPosts: 585

I would probably pay $20 a month for content like this.  Honestly, if this game comes through, I will buy every expansion and try to support Arenanet in any way I can.  This game is really the only one that has caught my interest in the MMO world.  I've looked at APB but its def not as good.

• BlahTeebBlahTeeb Member UncommonPosts: 624

The game WILL NOT be released until it's finished. The game was supposed to be released in 2009 and 2010 at latest. They delayed to polish up all these features.

As for broken promises, these are not on paper. They are not design concepts. They are tested and HOPEFULLY will be bug-less, but that is almost inevitable. :D

As long as the game breaks the generic MMORPG I am good.

• VaultFairyVaultFairy Member UncommonPosts: 566

They are teasing me!

Since i'm such an Altoholic, making alts in GW2 may seem really enjoyable. Guess i'll be buying character slots.