Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures: Rise of the Godslayer Review

Comments

• grinningmonkgrinningmonk Member UncommonPosts: 17

I have been playing for a few months now (almost one toon to 80, no rush, i play alts, experiment this different classes), tried the game last year but left it for a bit and have been watching improvements. When I came back earlier this year I still had many issues with it, zone crashes, weird bugs, some lag issues. However since i dont walk around with my finger shoved constanly up my ass, i could learn to live with it. Have not played a MMO yet that didnt give me some sort of grief. I thoroughly enjoy the game, the combat and the lore and preordered the expac as soon as I was able. There has been a  couple of smaller updates/patches since the expac release and I must say that my previous issues have significantly decreased, particlularly after the most recent patch a couple of days ago. Yeah I sitll get lag, thanks to shit Australian internet mostly, but I have had essential zero zone crashes (an issue which would crash me out 2 or 3 times in a good long weekend session). 

You know I hear the bitching and whining about this and that and how some things are just simply such 'gamebreakers' for some ppl that it could not ever be possibly redeemed and I just shrug my shoulders and /ignore. Honeslty take a break from the genre, you wont be happy anywhere methinks, afterall its only a game for heavens sake, its not like someone has cut your leg off and fed it to a dog. Uninstall and forget about it. I have had friends who have played and have stopped, going on or back to other games, more power to them, what is great for me is not so great for others.

It seems hoever that more and more ppl are appreciating what improvements have been made and can see more hope on the horizon. Conan, for me is a solid game, one I have been enjoying a lot and will continue to play for some time, even with its  rough edges. Someone else however might think the exact opposite. Try it, you'll either like it or not, and to be honest even if you decide you hate it, well thats fine, I wish you luck finding the game you do enjoy.

• JupstoJupsto Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

sounds like a amazing expac, I enjoyed AoC alot and would be tempted to coming back if I had not started playing darkfall. I cannot go back to tab targetting mmos, they just feel like 2d pong. but aoc is probably the best tab targetting mmo out there.

My blog: image

• ElirionElirion Member Posts: 160

"You leave the newbie area and find out the quest npcs stop talking. Breaks immersion hard"

I've always been confused by statements like this.  Seriously, please explain to me how things like this break people's "immersion" but sitting at a computer sipping RC Cola and eating moonpies while slapping at a keyboard and mouse doesn't?  I can't wrap my mind around that.  Can anyone explain this to me?

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,880

haha someone said no mmo should be able to solo to max level in 3 months.....You can do that in WoW, Lotro, EQ2, Aion and many others so i cant see your point. The game is awesome now. If you were on the wall about it or you were waiting for the game to improve after the launch this is for you.

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

this game rocks major ass now.

yeah....it's a themepark....but it's a goooooood themepark.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

Sounds like the game has improved a lot and is finally starting to deliver at what they promised at launch.But I'll stand by my principals and won't reward the company with my patronage for what they delivered at  launch and for a year after.But for those who do enjoy this game rock on!

• phil18phil18 Member Posts: 43

Well done to Funcom. They took what was a broken product, and since release turned it into a real gem. I was dissappointed at launch but stayed subbed, as I loved the world itself and the combat.

Even before release of ROTGS  the game had become somthing special, no more needless grinding in cannibal cave (im sure some launch players know that place lol) and massive content additions along with core gameplay changes. But with ROTGS its the real cherry on the cake, honestly the new factional content will provide endless fun for level 80's.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Consensus

sounds like a amazing expac, I enjoyed AoC alot and would be tempted to coming back if I had not started playing darkfall. I cannot go back to tab targetting mmos, they just feel like 2d pong. but aoc is probably the best tab targetting mmo out there.

Targetting? My guardian does not do such a thing, just swing in the right direction. I usually tab target for my ranger however (but you can aim if you really want too).

• fhl333fhl333 Member Posts: 2

• fhl333fhl333 Member Posts: 2

Even though the lack of pvp content as described by the review, the thing I enjoy the most in AoC is actually the pvp. Combat is like in no other game, where skills is very meaningful, without putting aside the gear. AoC has become a great MMO, and hopefully with the new game director the subs keep increasing and the game improved even more. It's a pity the rocky launch AoC got by itself, but  truly think that won't matter at the end.

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Originally posted by skeaser

Originally posted by eyeswideopen

Originally posted by Proson

TLDR (jk)

Gonna read now :D Hopefully this will convince me to finally go back to AoC, i really need to play a MMO again soon before i die of boredom.. so far what ive read from the expansion pack its looking good.

But the zoned world and all the instances really turns me off still :( Huge gambreaker for me, but i looked past it before and i prolly can again, but AoC would be fucking awesome if it was a seamless open world..

Then you'll love the expansion areas.

I love the expansion but can anyone tell me why 1 tent in Gateway is instanced? A little 2 foot long tent, and I have to load...wtf?

Yeah, I know which one you mean. I believe it's because you'd have the same NPC in the same "zone" twice (remember he tells you to come find him in the north after you save his sword ). So they have to put his second iteration in a "zoned" tent to keep the coding of the same NPC having two seperate activity lines from bugging out.

Originally posted by Elirion

"You leave the newbie area and find out the quest npcs stop talking. Breaks immersion hard"

I've always been confused by statements like this.  Seriously, please explain to me how things like this break people's "immersion" but sitting at a computer sipping RC Cola and eating moonpies while slapping at a keyboard and mouse doesn't?  I can't wrap my mind around that.  Can anyone explain this to me?

I tend to think most who complain about lack of voice acting are the one's two lazy to read. Makes me wonder if they were ever capable of playing rpgs before voice.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

Originally posted by Loke666

Originally posted by Consensus

Targetting? My guardian does not do such a thing, just swing in the right direction. I usually tab target for my ranger however (but you can aim if you really want too).

I use tab targeting, just so I can see where the enemy is defending. But I don't use auto-face....it interferes with mass-mob slaying and aggro control.

AoC isn't really a tab targeted game in the classic sense, though...unless you're a caster. For melee, it's kind of a happy middle ground between real-time and tab.

Took my son some getting used to, since he's used to LOTRO, but with a bit of practice, we're duoing effectively.

• gothagotha Member UncommonPosts: 1,074

I will def get the expansion sometime soon.  To the games credit though they have been adding PvP shrines.  These are free though and not part of the expansion.  I think that is a very smart choice given how competitve PvPers can be.  They also have added PvP levels.

I really think the border lands also should be totally revamped and optimized.  The fact it is basically just a copy of the Crafting and social zones proves this.  It was half assly implemented at launch to compete with War.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

By only looking at the added content on the AoC site, and without reading this review I returned to AoC. I must say that the over all look & feel is better. Though I'm still in Tortage, the game has nice additions. Can't wait to get to Kithai soon (almost done in Tortage) and enjoy this great expansion.

Also, the AA system. It seemed odd at first, but with the help of my guildies, I think this system is awesome. As said in this review, it'll even keep lvl 80 players interested in the game. And the lack of new PvP content..? Meh... I think that'll be set right soon ;)

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Elirion

I'll take a stab at it, when characters have voice acting, hearing them simply adds more life to them. Especially when they're heavily accented and fitting to the environment. That's not to say the game is exactly less enjoyable, without. It does heighten the immersion for me when a character has life to them. IMO of course.

If you get accustomed to the voice scting within tortage, I can see where it could be disheartning to see it go. Though there are still plenty of voiced npcs throughout Hyboria. Most areas have a few, in vanilla at least.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• HaradeasHaradeas Member UncommonPosts: 252

For a lot of old quited players ( after 3 months playing the game since start, I left ) it is a huge matter that pvp is STILL not what they promissed it would be .. 2 years ago... I dont think I have to explain further how deep that pain is ^^

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Very good that lack of PvP content was one of the Cons. Stopped reading after that.

Lackluster PvP was, for me, one of AoCs greatest flaws and I guess this expansion didn't address that and put this game firmly in the WoW clone PvE game.

• bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

Of note, the review has an inaccuracy in it, there are not enough quests for the factions, you will grind repeatable quests to earn reputation, you will grind repeatable quests to earn marks (currency) and you will grind instances to earn tokens (currency).

At the moment, the faction rewards are purely hardcore rewards, no casual player will get even one reward within the next three months, no casual player will get a full set of faction armor within the year.

• IKShadowIKShadow Member UncommonPosts: 783

OMG Age of Conan post without finaticd comments.

Worthelss until he comes and tell us the real truth.

p.s. Iam playing AoC and Iam not really into the new content still doing same old stuff except investing AA points.

Futilez[Do You Have What It Takes ?]

• ConjureOneConjureOne Member UncommonPosts: 233

this article is soooo pre-payed by funcom...

• miottomiotto Member Posts: 14

You probably is the no-life player typo... the first 20 level is easy to reach, but above u need patience and exploration. I like to read each line of quests and understand its purposes, i do not just click, click, open map, go to destination. Exploration is a game too. My fisrt char since release i took 8 months to get 80. As already said here in the forum, i have a complete life, job, wife, children, and many other things to do in a day. Not just like you, probably you only have school, and the game.

• miottomiotto Member Posts: 14

Originally posted by XTC2

Yes, thank Crom for offline leveling...um, I think not.  WTB what you're smoking

The base problem with AoC is not only still existent, it's is, evidently, even worse.

Look, this game has always been TOO EASY, period. No MMO should be soloable to the cap in 3 months. AoC ladles out xp like the BP oil spill.  I'm sick and tired of MMO companies catering to spoiled and impatient people who want to get to the cap lickety-split instead of earning it over friggin' time.  Then once they get there they QQ about how there's nothing to do since the world blurred past.  Now you don't even have to be logged in to level.  What a friggin' pandering joke.

I have stated the obvious before and will now do so again: If I can move 10 levels in a week, why the hell would I bother raiding ANY zone until level I reach level 80?

Answer.  When I played AoC I didn't bother because any gear I looted would have been obsolete in a weeks' time. It only took me a mere 3 months to SOLO to 80 playing an average of 4 hours a day. So it takes what?....maybe three weeks to get to 80 via grouping? It is a game that can be finished in a couple of months.  You won't have seen much but you'll be 80.

So, if you're thinking of playing AoC, don't bother raiding until you hit 80.  You may have to wait a WHOLE three weeks though.

You probably is the no-life player typo... the first 20 level is easy to reach, but above u need patience and exploration. I like to read each line of quests and understand its purposes, i do not just click, click, open map, go to destination. Exploration is a game too. My fisrt char since release i took 8 months to get 80. As already said here in the forum, i have a complete life, job, wife, children, and many other things to do in a day. Not just like you, probably you only have school, and the game.

• RhowinRhowin Member Posts: 36
    Nice review and from what I've seen of the expansion I agree even though the factions have a grind-feel to it - adding a few more quests / alternate ways for the factions would be nice. That it takes quite a bit of effort is quite to my liking actually.
    My favourite part have been the new instances really - they are quite difficult and as someone who likes best smaller group instances it's really nice to have something challanging.
  • tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013

2 things.

I ve heard that the pvp system is kinda crap and it lacks still is that true?

2ndly Endgame raids compared to  wow let's say is way bad still,is that true?

If possible someone that has played both games to make a comparison to the pvp and pve systems of both games so we know if the aoc's expansion improved also endgame raiding and pvp system or not.

• haratuharatu Member UncommonPosts: 409

Originally posted by Yamota

Very good that lack of PvP content was one of the Cons. Stopped reading after that.

Lackluster PvP was, for me, one of AoCs greatest flaws and I guess this expansion didn't address that and put this game firmly in the WoW clone PvE game.

I played WoW for 3 years and been playing AoC for 1 year. Trust me when I say there is a VAST difference between the two games. If you want to spam click the correct buttons with your back turned (i could do that in WoW) then you will die very quick in AoC.

Sure PvP seems to be very lackluster on PvE servers, but the primary part of the game has always been story.