Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures: Rise of the Godslayer Review

Comments

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535

I have no problems with grouping as there is a ton of group content (Arena, lower instances quest lines, etc) and there is a ton of solo quest lines which makes it a perfect balance (for my opinion).

When AOC was released I was bitten by the 'launch rage' and didn't return until recently, and I have to hand it to Funcom as they really have made this game stellar.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

This makes me think back about all the rage and all flame posts a few weeks ago, of how people were convinced that 'AoC was still the same wreck as it was at launch', how 'the RotGS launch would fail', how 'RotGS would fail', that 'nobody will be buying and playing the expansion except the current players'. I think back about all that indignation and rage.

And then I smile.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

Very good review.

I would agree, the game is pretty good now. 

However the biggest let down is there was nothing done regarding the UI that is still one of the worst around.

• Many keys, mouse buttons and some functionalities aren't still re-bindable.

• The default bar and hot key system does not fit the needs of the game.

• The default commands and chat system aren't efficient

• There is still no UI scaling.

• We stil can't (without external software or hardware) switch weapons and hot bars at the same time.

• Mouse look toggle (Was CTRL +M) was intentionally removed

• There is no 1st/3rd person view toggle (a must for Rangers)

• And finally the trading system is outdated.

Itemization was brought to the game but quite nothing has been done to promote a feeling of ownership in the game. At high level all players look alike wearing the same tiered equipment. This game needs a social clothing tab and item dyes ala LotRO or a system as in Aion: being able to transfer the stats of an item to another one of the same kind.

• CohasCohas Member UncommonPosts: 152

great game 

Have No Fear Cohas is here!!!

• ZebladeZeblade Member UncommonPosts: 931

Again what is left out that just might matter the most to all. YOU STILL LOOK THE SAME! I am playing AoC now. For the most part you look like everyone else. To get the good stuff you have to raid, dungens and lol try to find a raid.. LFG is very hard to get. Yes the graphics are beautiful. You still will die alot. If you dont mind not getting armor .. well you get it you just look like eveyone else. Go to the trader and just TRY..TRY  to find something different 10,20,30 levels higher.. for me thats the killer.

Another thing left out is CHAT. You need help from funcom.. look on the forums people keep saying they ask and ask and ask and never get help. Wheres the GM? See NO ONE mods the chat. You can say ANYTHING. HAHA think I'm lying? GO FOR. Nothing happens. So you can just picture what gets said. Great game but down to 4 servers 2pvp, 2pve

And if you quest not in the new expansion its EMPTY! Again dont take my word for it. TRY IT! Thats the best way.

• ninfanlinkninfanlink Member UncommonPosts: 36

Over the past year age of conan has become a very good mmo. Now for some people it dosent matter what funcom does to the game people are still going to bash it and hate it. Here is a list of issues people are having with the game.

1) To easy

2) Bugs

3) Not enough pvp content

4) Loot is meaning less

Now what mmo dosent have those issues about? Wow, Eq2, Lotro, Warhammer all have those issues. So my question for those people are, are you just pissed becuase you wanted a perfect game and didnt get it or are you just funcom haters?

• LiltawenLiltawen Member UncommonPosts: 245

Congratulations!

I want to get one of those Tigers. Train it to eat Sparkle-Ponies.

• KorithianKorithian Member Posts: 243

Age of Conan is becoming the game that all the hype was about. People talk of moving away from the WoW model and here you have a game with no auto attack, specials require a little more skill than just tapping a quick bar slot. A well designed feat and skill point system with some real Roleplay game style in it where you need certain skills (mainly climb or sneak) to achieve certain quests. It is also dispite what some people may claim difficult enough to give skilled players a challenge, while possible for less experienced gamers to enjoy.

The expansion builds on this, with factions giving meaning to those choices you make in game. You want to help one group out then your quests line will follow this path as will what rewards you can get. The Alternate Advancement system also adds a lot more refinement of what role you want your character to play. Though the grind is long and hard so I wouldn't expect anyone to get it over night. But they have allowed a time based learning for level 80's so that if grinding isn't your thing then you wont lose out.

Now you can pick apart the bugs or the server hicups but then most MMO's have them if you go looking. More so when they try to offer the visuals and sound that AoC does. And now we see this wonderfully rendered world brought to life through interesting stories as you cut your way through Hyboria. Now there is still plenty that needs work, I for one would love there to be a sea expansion where we can be pirates on the high seas. But it is definelty something worth trying out or giving a second shot.

• Stuka1000Stuka1000 Member UncommonPosts: 955

I honestly cannot see why some people are so happy with this xpac.  Due to some good reviews I decided to give the game the benefit of the doubt and try it again and sure enough FC have made improvments over the past 2 years.  The levelling voids have vanished so now the content is there to get you to 80, the game runs more smoothly ( although many players are still having serious lag issues ) and the new zones are much more expansive than the old ones.

So that said what's the problem?  Well this:  The game mechanics are old, tired and been done to death by other MMO's.  Okay so you get a few little arrows to click on for your attacks but really, that is hardly an inovation that sets the game atop the pile.  The AA system is frankly a joke.  Funcom can claim a thousand hours of content all they like but a thousand hours of grind is still a grind no matter how you dress it up.  The same applies to the factions so you can grind AA and grind faction ( both of which have been done before and done better by other MMO's).

I suppose it's the same for most titles really, start playing, get quest, complete quest, rinse and repeat until lvl cap then grind your ass off for AA, faction and raid gear.  Yawn, seriously.  Hopefully at some point a company will produce something with a little imagination for once but that company isn't funcom who are just reskinning old ground.

• SanguinelustSanguinelust Member UncommonPosts: 812

Has it been 2 weeks already since launch of Godslayer?

Encouraging review! I think I may have found something to ease my gaming boredom now that I've got LOTRO burnout. Looks like I'm gonna resub this weekend and give it a go.

One question though.... It's been a long time since i played but if I remember correctly you could sever parts clean off of mobs. Is that still in the game?

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180

Originally posted by eyeswideopen

Originally posted by Proson

TLDR (jk)

Gonna read now :D Hopefully this will convince me to finally go back to AoC, i really need to play a MMO again soon before i die of boredom.. so far what ive read from the expansion pack its looking good.

But the zoned world and all the instances really turns me off still :( Huge gambreaker for me, but i looked past it before and i prolly can again, but AoC would be fucking awesome if it was a seamless open world..

Then you'll love the expansion areas.

I love the expansion but can anyone tell me why 1 tent in Gateway is instanced? A little 2 foot long tent, and I have to load...wtf?

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180

Originally posted by Sanguinelust

Encouraging review! I think I may have found something to ease my gaming boredom now that I've got LOTRO burnout. Looks like I'm gonna resub this weekend and give it a go.

One question though.... It's been a long time since i played but if I remember correctly you could sever parts clean off of mobs. Is that still in the game?

Yes, very much so. You can take off limbs, decapitate, crush skulls, rip heads off with your hands, rip out hearts and eat them, etc.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• KuatosuneKuatosune Member UncommonPosts: 219

Went to AOC at launch and left several months later due to items mentioned in the article.

Returned last week to check out how the game has progressed and it is much improved.  Hopefull that the game will now keep me busy for some time to come.

• SanguinelustSanguinelust Member UncommonPosts: 812

Originally posted by skeaser

Originally posted by Sanguinelust

Yes, very much so. You can take off limbs, decapitate, crush skulls, rip heads off with your hands, rip out hearts and eat them, etc.

Awesome, I may go get the expansion tonight!

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

I love the expansion but can anyone tell me why 1 tent in Gateway is instanced? A little 2 foot long tent, and I have to load...wtf?

I know the one you mean. I haven't tested it yet, but the entrance is maybe barred until you've completed one preceding quest, because the guy in the tent you'll meet before in another place.

Funny thing, from the outside you also see the players visiting the chief in the tent, so it's not a real instance. More of a barred door opening I think.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• AndraxxAndraxx Member UncommonPosts: 256

Originally posted by cyphers

I know the one you mean. I haven't tested it yet, but the entrance is maybe barred until you've completed one preceding quest, because the guy in the tent you'll meet before in another place.

Funny thing, from the outside you also see the players visiting the chief in the tent, so it's not a real instance. More of a barred door opening I think.

I"m pretty sure you are correct. The guy in the tent is in 2 places at once. You do a quest for him at one location and then he tells you to meet him at his camp, where the tent is.  If he was in the open people who had never done the first part of the quest chain could just walk up and talk to the guy. Similar to LOTRO where centain npcs are in instances you can only enter when on specific quests or once a gating quest is completed.

• wow.pwns111wow.pwns111 Member Posts: 108

Originally posted by XTC2

Yes, thank Crom for offline leveling...um, I think not.  WTB what you're smoking

The base problem with AoC is not only still existent, it's is, evidently, even worse.

Look, this game has always been TOO EASY, period. No MMO should be soloable to the cap in 3 months. AoC ladles out xp like the BP oil spill.  I'm sick and tired of MMO companies catering to spoiled and impatient people who want to get to the cap lickety-split instead of earning it over friggin' time.  Then once they get there they QQ about how there's nothing to do since the world blurred past.  Now you don't even have to be logged in to level.  What a friggin' pandering joke.

I have stated the obvious before and will now do so again: If I can move 10 levels in a week, why the hell would I bother raiding ANY zone until level I reach level 80?

Answer.  When I played AoC I didn't bother because any gear I looted would have been obsolete in a weeks' time. It only took me a mere 3 months to SOLO to 80 playing an average of 4 hours a day. So it takes what?....maybe three weeks to get to 80 via grouping? It is a game that can be finished in a couple of months.  You won't have seen much but you'll be 80.

So, if you're thinking of playing AoC, don't bother raiding until you hit 80.  You may have to wait a WHOLE three weeks though.

You played for 4 hrs per day and it took you 3 months to hit 80. What exactly is the problem here? Heaven forbid an MMO should assume it's playerbase has jobs/lives outside of the game. What exactly do you want in an mmo? Having to play 4 hrs per day for 6 months or a year in order reach the endgame?

Get off of welfare, go outside, get a job and then come back and QQ about how long it takes to reach 80. I'm sure by then your opinion will have changed.

"We have barred the gates, but can not hold them for long...
    They have taken the Bridge and the Second Hall...
    We can not get out. The end comes.
    Drums, drums in the deep. They are coming..."

• ElirionElirion Member Posts: 160

Originally posted by Zeblade

Again what is left out that just might matter the most to all. YOU STILL LOOK THE SAME! I am playing AoC now. For the most part you look like everyone else. To get the good stuff you have to raid, dungens and lol try to find a raid.. LFG is very hard to get. Yes the graphics are beautiful. You still will die alot. If you dont mind not getting armor .. well you get it you just look like eveyone else. Go to the trader and just TRY..TRY  to find something different 10,20,30 levels higher.. for me thats the killer.

Another thing left out is CHAT. You need help from funcom.. look on the forums people keep saying they ask and ask and ask and never get help. Wheres the GM? See NO ONE mods the chat. You can say ANYTHING. HAHA think I'm lying? GO FOR. Nothing happens. So you can just picture what gets said. Great game but down to 4 servers 2pvp, 2pve

And if you quest not in the new expansion its EMPTY! Again dont take my word for it. TRY IT! Thats the best way.

I took your advice and tried it.  Found only one of your points to be correct btw.  1.  The armor in the pre-expansion areas does look the same but I generally like it because it feels true to the Conan novels to me.  The xpac areas have some very different asian themed armors.  If lack of variation in armor is a deal breaker for you then find another game.  Myself, I find that very trivial.  2.  I had to petition a GM the other day and got a response quickly.  3.  Yes, it's down to 4 servers but I only play on one server so I don't see how this really effects me.  5.  Last point, was questing in Connall's Valley last night (not an expansion area) and had to group with people so that we wouldn't be fighting over quest mobs.  I think maybe you are the one that needs to actually TRY IT.

• Hrayr2148Hrayr2148 Member Posts: 649

You played for 4 hrs per day and it took you 3 months to hit 80. What exactly is the problem here? Heaven forbid an MMO should assume it's playerbase has jobs/lives outside of the game. What exactly do you want in an mmo? Having to play 4 hrs per day for 6 months or a year in order reach the endgame?

Get off of welfare, go outside, get a job and then come back and QQ about how long it takes to reach 80. I'm sure by then your opinion will have changed.

Bingo!

• kalanthiskalanthis Member Posts: 111

Uggh..you guys are going to make me buy this aren't you?:)

Played at launch..actually loved it, but was playing on an old rig which barely managed to run it and didn't do the graphics justice. Was a bit irritated with their promises of DX10 etc, but that's water under the bridge.

Even if it just keeps me having fun for 3 months I'll be happy..may have to give it a go.

• wfSegwfSeg Member Posts: 96

" 'tank & spank' loot piñata" Tired of seeing those in games :).

The Necropolis sounds interesting.

"I am the harbinger of hope. I am the sword of the righteous. And to all who hear my words, I say this: What you give to this Empire, I shall give back unto you."
    -Empress Jamyl Sarum I

• AlyndriAlyndri Member UncommonPosts: 6

Why does the score on the left say 8.5 and the 'our score' on the right say 7.0??

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

Nice Review for the pro's and the con's. Now Godslayer has launched I would like FC to show some continued focus on the peformance issues and then a nice PvP update followed by a decent crafting update.

My favourite area in Godslayer has to the whole Crater area (in Chosain Province) and the dungeons enclosed within. Really well thought out. Brilliant PvE mainly driven expansion in all area's.

Can't wait to see people get further into it and post about the secrets ^^

• AbotAbot Member Posts: 22

Alyndri the 7.0 is the rating for the original game and the 8.5 is the rating for the expansion.  I have recently come back to AoC also and have been very pleasantly surprised I am hooked on this game unlike I have been on any MMO in quite some time.  I really enjoy the community (set server) and the game is tons of fun to play.  I have not had any issues with the game and have also noticed they did alot of work on the class balance for the game (still needs tweaking but nothing u dont see in other MMOs).  Anyone thinking of coming back to the game should it is great game really been improved ALOT.

• elusivexelusivex Member Posts: 86

I'm starting to feel like the game is not even worth my 15$.  Is it possible at all that mmorpg and other websites are paid to give decent/good reviews?   I cancelled my sub today after running in to multiple game breaking immersion breaking bugs within the new expansion.  From high latency spikes out of the clear blue kicking me to desktop or my character getting stuck in combat animations until I re-logged to fix it.

The community in this game is worse than WoW's trade chat which blew me away because WoW's community is outright trash.  Global chat in Age of Conan is really bad.  You leave the newbie area and find out the quest npcs stop talking. Breaks immersion hard.  IF YOU START A TREND CONTINUE THE TREND with every quest npc.  It comes off as lazy and cheap.  The new expansion comes off as poorly done and laggy, mobs bugged out and un-attackable.  The quest rewards seem extremely sub par.

I feel bad that I got excited thinking Funcom might of made a comeback and fixed everything I hated the first time around.        Honestly the game at its core still feels like it should have potential.   However   the same bugs I ran in to in 2008 still exist today.  The game feels slightly more polished sure, but this is the kind of crap I would expect out of a game that launched NEW last week.  Not a game that came out in 2008.  I don't mind that I spent $ on the game to try it out again and check out the expansion.  I just hope  newer mmorpg company's down the road learn from the recent mistakes of Cryptic/Funcom/Quest Online and many others.

Read and hear what your customers are telling you from the Majority to the vocal minority they all have good points.         Funcom has had a couple years to bring this game back from the brink of complete crap with potential to a game that plays like a Sony Launch title.   Which tells me three  things, 1 Funcoms developers are sub-par and 2 they have no budget,  and 3 they don't care about what customers want.

The game is full of potential,  if the entire game played as smooth as the newbie area, my God the game would be a champ!  'As long as they made sure combat animations got fixed,  hehe the entire needing to log out and back thing so your character can stop swinging his daggers around for an hour  is kinda sad.

Also Directx10 does not seem to support multiple CPU usage at default,  which is odd.....

A man or "gamer" should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be.